Thread: Table saw big enough for stacking dado blade set

Default Table saw big enough for stacking dado blade set

Whenever I start feeling smug about my woodworking abilities, I do something dumb that reminds me how little I know about this stuff...

One of my winter projects is to build a teak grate for my footwell. I like the Ferenc Mate design in "The Finely Fitted Yacht", which requires cutting dados in the teak. So I promptly ordered a Freud stacking dado set, thinking "Gee, that will come in handy for all sorts of jobs!"

However... when I went to install it on my cheap-ass old contractor's saw, I realized the arbor was too short. Further research reveals that most portable saws have short arbors because they are not up to the job.

As much as I would love a Delta Unisaw, or something similar, I don't have the room for a really large saw in my shop (or the money for such a beast.)

I've been hating on my current table saw long enough. Can anyone recommend a decent, reasonably sized table saw that can handle dados?

TIA.

Default Re: Table saw big enough for stacking dado blade set

I'd look for some older iron.
    The newish cheapie plastic stuff is an upside down skilsaw with a big table.
    My ex-SIL gave me an old Delta Homecraft that included a great dado set.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Not a table saw. Router with a straight bit and a fence. Cut the dados all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Not a table saw. Router with a straight bit and a fence. Cut the dados all at once.
    That's a thought. I just built a nice router table.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Williamson View Post
    I'd look for some older iron.
    The newish cheapie plastic stuff is an upside down skilsaw with a big table.
    My ex-SIL gave me an old Delta Homecraft that included a great dado set.
    R
    yes, I have an old Parks planer so I know what you mean. I've been keeping an eye on craigslist... I'll look up the Homecraft.

---
    Last edited by bnaboatbuilder; 01-05-2016 at 10:09 AM.
    - John

My Bosch 4100 "portable" job site table saw can handle a dado set, up to 3/4 inch stack, but they recommend a 6-inch rather than an 8-inch. That has more to do with the motor than anything else. And, you can't beat the "gravity-rise stand": it rocks. The riving knife works with a dado stack, too.

You'll need a insert for the dado blade, though. You can get the Bosch insert for about $15.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Or you can make multiple passes with your regular blade, moving the fence a bit each pass.

This article may be useful. http://woodgears.ca/shop-tricks/dado.html

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

---
    Last edited by bnaboatbuilder; 01-05-2016 at 10:09 AM.
    - John

Wow. As usual, lots of good ideas and alternatives here. Interesting that there's a consensus on portable table saws (so far.) That may be a first for this forum.

I've done the single-blade/lots of passes method with my Skilsaw in the past. I didn't think about that method, because there are so many dados to be cut, but I guess I could get it done in a couple hours. I even have a home-made router plane I could use to clean up the bottom of the dados. H'mmm.

But the router idea is probably the most practical. I think that's what I'll probably do.

In the meantime, I'll keep an eye on craigslist for a decent table saw. I'm really fed up with mine. The fence is awful, the mitre groove is worn unevenly, and it makes a god-awful screech when it runs, like the bearings are going. I got it for free, and paid exactly what it was worth.

The router option is likely your best immediate way to get the job done. It might be the best way to even do this job on a repetitive basis. But you also mention your desire to upgrade your current table saw and that is a totally separate issue. With all due respect, you have defined your current saw well. It just is not capable of doing what you were asking of it. Many of us have compact shops and/or have the need for compact and capable tools. There are some pretty decent compact table saws being made currently as the industry has recognized the need for this accordingly. I have had a Makita portable table saw for well over 10 years now. At the time, it was considered one of the best and it has been a very durable, reasonably accurate saw and it has served me well. But I have always tried to stay within it's intended purpose, though I have to admit that I have had to "push-it" numerous times. The newer compact table saw designs allow for more material width capacity than the older ones do. However they are still really designed for the home contractor who uses mostly two by (1-1/2") thick fir / pine material at a maximum.

Now comparing a full-size saw to a compact one is not a fair comparison. In fact, it isn't even fair to compare a compact, with a contractors type saw, or a hybrid and a true cabinet saw. Before you buy anything, one must really consider what the intended purpose of the saw is:
    1. How thick of material, how wide of material and how hard or dense is the material to be cut? (Mahogany cuts differently than cedar.)
    2. Lastly, what type of cuts do you want to be able to do with your saw? (Miters, Dadoes, Rip, Cross-cut, etc.)
    3. In addition and equally important is how much space do you have to work in?
    4. Lastly, what electrical voltage do you plan to use to power your saw? (220V runs far more efficiently, but requires a special circuit & plug.)

The answers to the above questions, truly define the table saw needed. It often is the reason some of us have more than one.
    Last edited by eflanders; 02-22-2014 at 10:44 AM.

Yes, solving the immediate dado problem, and the long-term table saw problem are really two different issues. In my frustration, I was mixing them together.

I think the dado problem is solved, so will take my time picking out the right saw. Your questions are good ones, thanks.

Up here, (Ontario) you can find lots of saws on Kijiji. Here is an example.... older Rockwell, cast top and extensions. $160.00 as you see it.

Here is another one, that comes with a load of accessories including 40, (yes 40) blades..... $250. This one is late 50's

I bought a 451 Rockwell unisaw from 1962, put a new fence and motor in it, and I have about 800 bucks in it...3 hp 220V, triple belt
    Last edited by Peter Malcolm Jardine; 02-22-2014 at 05:12 PM.

Two passes with the table saw, cutting the edges of the dado, a hit with a wide chisel to get half the waste out, then clean out with the router.
    Await dreams, loves, life; | There is always tomorrow. | Until there is not.

Grieving love unsaid. | Tomorrow will fail someday. | Tell them today, OK?

If anyone knows where old tools are...

I wonder if I can get that in my Jeep?

Both my 10yo Jet and 40yo Craftsman contractor style table saws will take a full sized dado stack. My cheap little POS Hitachi job site saw will take a partial stack, although I use a smaller diameter with it on the rare times I need it.

I agree with the above posters about the router. Outer edges with the table saw, and clean up the inside with the router.
    Bill R

There was supposed to be an earth shattering KABOOM!

Quote Originally Posted by jalmberg View Post
    If anyone knows where old tools are...

I wonder if I can get that in my Jeep?
    If you can't fit it give me a call.

Thanks for the offer. I'll run down and take a look at it if the guy answers my email. It looks like it needs some serious cleanup, but if the price is right, might be a good project.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrleft8 View Post
    Or you can make multiple passes with your regular blade, moving the fence a bit each pass.
    That's true, but the bottom of the cut can be irregular (blade dependent), not always an issue but a real enough result. I don't get the chance to point out disadvantages to your suggestions very often, so humor me, OK?
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

I can envision a scheme where the two outside kerfs are cut on the saw, with an indexing jig... then the middle cleared out with a router.

Just keep in mind - whatever scheme you come up - it's a lot easier to size your dadoes to your stock than to size your stock to your dadoes. Far less fiddly.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Why do you need a table saw and a router to cut dadoes?

All you need to do is make an adjustable jig that will cut the exact dado you want. It indexes off a scrap of stock to size the dado perfectly. Then you use an undersized bit to cut the dado in 2 or more passes. Here's one design, from Woodsmoth/Shop Notes magazine. There are any number of them to be found via google.

http://www.woodsmithshop.com/downloa...bledadojig.pdf

If you use a solid carbide spiral downcut bit, you'll get very clean edges, since it's pulling the cut into the workpiece: no tear out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

About the European issue: I think I read somewhere that with the brakes fitted to modern table saws, that there is a risk of the heavy dado set undoing the holding nut on over-run. Any comments?
    A2

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
    About the European issue: I think I read somewhere that with the brakes fitted to modern table saws, that there is a risk of the heavy dado set undoing the holding nut on over-run. Any comments?
    A2
    Are dado sets still legal anywhere in Europe?

I've got another idea for you..

I like radial arm saws for dado work, and I think they are actually still the best tool for the job. They have fallen out of favor now due to the popularity of the new compound miter saws, and good old ones can be found now for very short money. I bought a nice old turret style Delta 10" model on C-List last year for $75, and that's not an unusual price. Look for a good one though, a Delta or DeWalt, or even an older Craftsman would do the job. Stay away from anything newer than the 70's.

Yes, they are heavy and take up room, but if you want, just sell it again after you've done your grate and consider it a free rental.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    Are dado sets still legal anywhere in Europe?
    No idea, but I was wondering if that was the reason.

are radial arm saws still legal in europe???
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Compound mitre saws are handy because they are portable but there is no way I would ever give up my RAS for work in the shop. Just picked up an old turret style Rockwell-Beaver yesterday so I will have to thin the heard a bit. 3 RAS's take up a fair bit of floor space.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    are radial arm saws still legal in europe???
    I assume you jest, Sir. (I have two..)

I just find it curious that dados heads are banned here, while in the litigatious US, they are not. ( not that the compensation culture has been ignored in the UK)

From some of the stories and images shown here and elsewhere in cyberspace I would confidently predict that an HSE inspector would have kittens should they ever venture into an American hobbyists workshop.It seems to be a matter of pride never to have a guard over a sawblade and the operations carried out with them have been banned in professional shops in Britain for more than forty years.We do have radial arm saws and they have very comprehensively guarded blades.I wouldn't claim to be a great fan of the PUWER mandated braking that stops the machines in a few seconds because it takes a lot less time than those few seconds to do a lot of damage and the strain on the machinery can clearly be heard.