Thread: Anyone familiar with this tool?

Default Anyone familiar with this tool?

http://worthopedia.s3.amazonaws.com/...1148d17b89.jpg

I picked this up at an antique shop yesterday for $5. I've seen other jig saw attachments before, but none like this. It's a Babco #200 jig saw attachment, made by the Babcock Mfg. Co. of Oakland, Ca. I'm guessing it's from sometime in the '50's.

Default Re: Anyone familiar with this tool?

The picture is too small to show any detail of the part. Please try posting by normal means for this forum.
    Jay

Kind of a neat 'oddity' attachement (turns an electric into a sabre saw). I would put it in the "neat to add to the collection and maybe use once or twice" catagory, but probably not something you would want as a daily user tool. For one thing, whenever the blade starts to bind or bog down the drill will try to spin and twist within the band clamp. -- Definately worth the $5!

Quick guess: Attach this to an electric drill, which will provide power to move the blade. I'm assuming that the "strap" on the right would wrap around the drills' body.
    "Simplicity, Clarisse! First principles..."

+1 for nedl's post.
    "Simplicity, Clarisse! First principles..."

There used to be a whole range of attachments for electric drills to turn them into sanders,circular saws,jigsaws and more.Since then the cost of dedicated tools has come down and it no longer seems to be worth anybody's time to make the attachments.

You got it, LongIslandBoy. Someone gave me one of those before I was in high school, probably for Christmas (and it was quickly followed by a saber saw for my birthday.) I think it may have been the first tool I intentionally threw away. It -did- work, after a fashion, but it was so clumsy that it was useful only for hacking out rough shapes, to be cut again to line with a coping saw or jig saw.
    Await dreams, loves, life; | There is always tomorrow. | Until there is not.

Grieving love unsaid. | Tomorrow will fail someday. | Tell them today, OK?

I had a heavy-duty 3/8" Sher two-speed drill bought in the 60s that had attachments that screwed on in place of the chuck, including a circular saw and a jigsaw. But as others have said, it was hardly worthwhile bothering with them unless you had no alternative. Like all compromises, they did everything after a fashion but did nothing very well.

Probably a good $5 buy though.

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

I've got a little circular saw like that. Looks like a real widow maker, or at least an 8 fingered husband maker.

Had one at one time. Was in a box of stuff I got at a garage sale. Never used it. It ran off a drill. You could also get a circular saw attachment.
    basil

Good wall hanger

List it on fleaBay as a "rare vintage collectable" and hope you can get your sawbuck back from some sucker.