Thread: Pirate ship - only $10,000!

Default Pirate ship - only $10,000!

And the proud builder used no plans to put it together.

(And no, I'm not selling anything etc.)
    -Dave

Downingtown Pa (S/V Andantino down in Rock Hall, Md)

Default Re: Pirate ship - only $10,000!

wow...
    There is a joy in madness, that only mad men know. -Nieztsche

Sioux City, Iowa (Idiot Out Walking Around)

Don't forget the exchange rate... US$ 9114.00... and you don't even know if it will float much less actually perform worth diddly!
    Steve Lewis
    Formerly Lewisboats (don't try to change your email address!)

http://angelfire.com/ego/lewisboatworks

Gosh, in this age of the internet, you'd think somebody who wanted to build something like that would go on line and do a little research on what they looked like. "No plans..." Well, he had fun doing it and he's not taking any people in wheelchairs sailing or telling us he's on a mission from God, so I guess he's not a complete whacko.

I'm sure he is keeping the mission from God on the down low.... people might think he was a wackeroon...

No prop, so I'm guessing no motor. Enough lateral plane to make it go downwind. No yards or sails.

yikes.

Best left on shore where it looks the cinematic part.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

Maybe he can swap with Hot Rod. Is that thing still afloat?
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic and stop the madness. Save the country.

Its a short drive up the road from us. I could make the round trip in an hour. Mrs JimD would be so surprised.

Marine architects are a waste of money, eh? Say. . doesn't McKay need a new race-built galleon?

Just looking at the amount of boat under the waterline as opposed to what is above, I'd be surprised if it floated upright.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by john welsford View Post
    Just looking at the amount of boat under the waterline as opposed to what is above, I'd be surprised if it floated upright.

John Welsford
    I was thinking the same thing. But I am pretty sure floating was never a consideration. It was done for the sheer enjoyment of building it.
    Jeff
    Kudzu Craft Skin boats
    SoF boat kits, supplies and plans

Quote Originally Posted by Thad Van Gilder View Post
    I'm sure he is keeping the mission from God on the down low.... people might think he was a wackeroon...
    Is wackeroon a Dutch word?
    Mind if I use it?
    Wackeroon. Kinda rolls off the tongue, like hot motor oil.

But maybe he was planning on a reeanctment of the launch of the Vasa.
    -Dave

Actually, it would make a very cool kids' playhouse!

Thad got it right the first time…Wow!

You people are all trying to kid us with your knowledge, right? While it is quite clear some of you muted the video there is no reason for you not to notice the design and engineering involved in this high quality woodworking piece of art. Suggest you start around the 50 sec mark or so where you begin to notice the intracasy of the ropework and standing rigging, metalwork, curved and tapered window frames in the main aft cabin?...sweet! How about scrolling a little further to the closeups of planking, yellow cedar and tight grained fir beachcombed and otherwise procured of the likes you can only dream of with big money in the best of your suppliers elsewhere. Ask Jim Ledger what he thinks about this quality wood.

Narrow planking individually tapered from midships to stem and stern with tight seams, finished bright. Glued seam, blind fastened, I can’t tell. Check out the curved, and bent, and carved scrollwork at the bows which are nicely structural, functional for safe anchor handling and sailwork while somewhat representative of our native westcoast traditions.

Eight-sided hollow glued DF spars, where have we seen that recently? This guy is almost apologising for her being incomplete and is offering to assist in her completion. That is also a great offer, because this guy has real talent.

I’ll defer to Mr Welsford’s opinion as to her stability, although without knowing how much concrete and scrap metal is in her bilges I couldn’t justify the speculation. When the video runs out there are links to the old Rose, now Surprise, and also Victory, which seem similar in proportion to this little ship. I’d love to be educated in the differences.

As to those others whose opinions would place this ship in the realm of Raw Fate or the Flyin’ havaiin, I can only hope that Mr Rennet will listen principally to that little voice in his head that says “That’s nice!” / Jim

the term "wackeroon" is used without permission of its co authors, the "car guys" of Boston . of NPR fame.

They prefer the specific term, "first-class wackeroon"

Looks like that youtube video is from August 2011, and it was moved to some sort of Morgan's Cove?
    http://www.sanbenitocountytoday.com/....html?mode=jqm

Looks like a very happy outcome for a beautiful ship of uncertain seaworthiness. I'm glad for the builder and new owner.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-718409
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    Thad got it right the first time…Wow!

You people are all trying to kid us with your knowledge, right? While it is quite clear some of you muted the video there is no reason for you not to notice the design and engineering involved in this high quality woodworking piece of art. Suggest you start around the 50 sec mark or so where you begin to notice the intracasy of the ropework and standing rigging, metalwork, curved and tapered window frames in the main aft cabin?...sweet! How about scrolling a little further to the closeups of planking, yellow cedar and tight grained fir beachcombed and otherwise procured of the likes you can only dream of with big money in the best of your suppliers elsewhere. Ask Jim Ledger what he thinks about this quality wood.

Narrow planking individually tapered from midships to stem and stern with tight seams, finished bright. Glued seam, blind fastened, I can’t tell. Check out the curved, and bent, and carved scrollwork at the bows which are nicely structural, functional for safe anchor handling and sailwork while somewhat representative of our native westcoast traditions.

Eight-sided hollow glued DF spars, where have we seen that recently? This guy is almost apologising for her being incomplete and is offering to assist in her completion. That is also a great offer, because this guy has real talent.

I’ll defer to Mr Welsford’s opinion as to her stability, although without knowing how much concrete and scrap metal is in her bilges I couldn’t justify the speculation. When the video runs out there are links to the old Rose, now Surprise, and also Victory, which seem similar in proportion to this little ship. I’d love to be educated in the differences.

As to those others whose opinions would place this ship in the realm of Raw Fate or the Flyin’ havaiin, I can only hope that Mr Rennet will listen principally to that little voice in his head that says “That’s nice!” / Jim

It really does seem to be a fine bit of woodworking. Its just not a fine bit of boatbuilding.

Very happy to see it being the part of a land-based exhibit.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

Uh, chas? Actual boatbuilder here. I'm just not all that impressed by that poorly sketched cartoon of a boat. The same amount of drive and ambition and time could have turned out an actual functional vessel, maybe even one with genuine historical meaning from the days of pirates, y'know?

Look, I'm sorry, but it is only your ignorance of the way things actually work that could lead you to be dazzled by the "intracasy of the ropework" or any of the other fraudulent pseudo-detailing of the hull and rig. It is a travesty to any of us who have sailed aboard actual replica ships.

I'm just glad it's being planted in the ground at that pirate-themed amusement park rather than out there drowning some poor sap who didn't know any better. A kids' playhouse is the best fate it could have hoped for. . . .though there's also something to be said that maybe these kids would be better served with a more realistic take where they could actually learn something.

And all that's completely leaving to one side whatever the hell is up with fetishizing and romanticizing thieves, murderers, rapists and plunderers. Pirate fantasies are downright creepy when you really think about it.

It's a wonderful folly, why be upset by that?

Except for you James, we understand why you have to be upset by that, and would not have it any other way.
    Yachting, the only sport where you get to be a mechanic, electrician, plumber and carpenter

I do enjoy a good rant now and then, Tom. It's true. Also, I like excellent boats better than crappy, sub-optimal or counter-functional ones. I can't help it, it was the way I was brought up.

Funny thing, Henry Morgan wasn't really a pirate. He was a privateer, always had the paper to justify his raids as acts of war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Morgan

And anyhow, if you want to fantasize about pirates, why not fantasize about being Woodes Rogers, who was a hero for suppressing the pirates?

Quote Originally Posted by zertgold View Post
    Thanks for the update Z, a nice outcome for a delightful folly
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

if the haitians can do it why can't we
    condescend much?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Oy! George MacKay has improved his chops?

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Funny thing, Henry Morgan wasn't really a pirate. He was a privateer, always had the paper to justify his raids as acts of war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Morgan

And anyhow, if you want to fantasize about pirates, why not fantasize about being Woodes Rogers, who was a hero for suppressing the pirates?
    I always preferred Captain Pugwash…………..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwzVjsu9XvM