Page 838 of 840 FirstFirst ... 338738788828837838839 ... LastLast
Results 29,296 to 29,330 of 29389

Thread: Oz Politics.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Default Re: Oz Politics.

Pretty enjoyable result all round.
    I really want those teal women to succeed. Though I think they're already so aligned with the greens and labour on so many things, they will bring it home.

The thought struck me that the Teal's are actually Greens through and through. That the Greens have a massive brand issue. Everyone who voted Teal and a very many who voted Labour should really be voting Green. But the Greens became the party of no compromise back in Rudds day. They stood fast as radical when it was actually time to be centrist. Did that ruin them? Can they claim the votes that really should be theirs?
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

The Teals are mostly the past Liberal demographic, but the party has left them, and Scummo banged in the final nails. And if Dutton gets the job, and it looks like he will, I cannot see that changing.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Pretty enjoyable result all round.
    I really want those teal women to succeed. Though I think they're already so aligned with the greens and labour on so many things, they will bring it home.

The thought struck me that the Teal's are actually Greens through and through. That the Greens have a massive brand issue. Everyone who voted Teal and a very many who voted Labour should really be voting Green. But the Greens became the party of no compromise back in Rudds day. They stood fast as radical when it was actually time to be centrist. Did that ruin them? Can they claim the votes that really should be theirs?
    I see them as nouveau Australian Democrats. The Dems were a truly great party until they were betrayed and destroyed by a shocking leader. I've often argued that the Greens would be a major force in Australia if they'd stick to environmental issues rather than a very unrealistic social agenda. I think Adam Bandt is doing a great job now though and I hope to see their influence increase substantially. My hope now is that farmers will wake up to the destructive influence of Joyce et al and actually elect people who care about their environment. As for the Liberals, they'll continue down the same path of greed that's always been their core belief system so I don't think it matters who they put between the headlights now.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Stating the obvious......There are still powerful interests who no longer have their paid for puppets ( political representatives ) in the decision making arena. They will be working on strategies to exploit, manipulate and / or undermine the players we have in the arena now. There will be no room for letting ones guard down as they seek to undermine and erode the political optimism of this moment to thwart momentum and create disillusion and a stalling of the new trajectory in an effort to create the circumstances and public perception needed to place their puppets ( political representatives ) back in the decision making arena. As usual it will involve dirty tricks, distortion of the truth and character assassination and if the past is anything to go by Murdoch's media will be a key player.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Murdoch's attack dogs are saying the Liberal party needs to move even more to the right. Despite the fact that almost nobody voted for any far-right candidates.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

The interesting thing is there are three or so rabid attack dogs with more moderate commentators in the mix of Murdoch's Sky. There is a possibility that there will be some distancing of the extreme, giving them their time slots but positioning programming further down the ladder so they can cavort somewhat in the background until Murdoch tests his market to see where the chips land. Might take six months or so before the new plan of attack starts to take shape. They are coming across as somewhat unhinged at the moment, verging on comic entertainment of the absurd........

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Graphic analysis of statistical info we have become used to.......

Bruce Cockburn

The Libs aren't a broad enough church to win elections right now.
    If they do drift further right they'll be even worse.

Poor Libs, they have to accept they've been gob-****es on climate and social issues for too long.
    Dutton will not be able turn that around. I can't see anyone turn that around as long as the moderates are banished.

There's a clear line back to Abbott, arm in arm with nut bag Nats.

They have a serious challenge ahead.

(I won't say "nobody will ever vote Liberal again", the Bigfella said that about Labour after the last election)
    Last edited by gypsie; 05-24-2022 at 05:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Graphic analysis of statistical info we have become used to.......

That doesn't look right.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

Yeah, aren't the cross benches Teal?

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    That doesn't look right.
    Are you sure?

Bruce Cockburn

Labor and the Teals should consume around 90% of the pie.

I suppose I might be missing a joke?

It's basically a dig at the way the LNP and Murdoch have used misinformation and flawed statistics to fool the voter into thinking they are better at managing the economy etc etc. At the polling booth i was handed a pamphlet by the LNP that had a list of statistics of how the LibGnats outperformed Labour represented as percentages. Each one was a gamed percentage and irrelevant to factual comparative analysis. So I posted the pie graph showing visually Lib Gnat with a bigger slice of the pie while getting a much smaller number of votes.

My mate Alan Austin has more accurate analysis regarding LibGnat economic performance. This illustrates how they misrepresent the factual state of factors being presented:

Last edited by Hallam; 05-24-2022 at 08:40 PM.

Bruce Cockburn

Sam Maiden on the Drum re Duttons attitude to China, the Uluru statement, trans and gay people etc.
    "He'll do ok as Lib leader, he's a pragmatist"

In other words like the famous Groucho Marx quote; "You don't like my principles? I have others".
    Misrepresentation, false advertising and false prospectus's for personal, and party gain.

And she's also justifying the behaviour by journalists at press conferences making the story about them.

And the Legalised Cannabis Party, might get the 6th spot in Queensland…
    Laugh Out Very Loud!!!
    Last edited by skuthorp; 05-25-2022 at 03:53 AM.

Warren Entch, RN this morning, the latest apologist for Dutton. Saying that he will change his rhetoric if elected Lib leader.
    Said nothing about changing his actual beliefs.

Valdemort and a radish leading the Coalition is guaranteed to win the female and younger generation's vote "back". At least Susssssan will have an excuse for taxpayer-funded trips to Brisbane from now on.

Bereft.
    Rick

Heard another Lib winging and criticising teal independents for getting rid of lib moderates! …… as if it’s the voters fault????!!!! What a complete and utter joke after they have manipulated and orchestrated scheming manoeuvres in the party room, back rooms and every where else to shove their moderates to insignificance within the party since Howard! Nothing but a pack of dingbats who are incapable of honest self reflection not to mention take responsibility for their own appalling behaviour!

Bruce Cockburn

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Valdemort and a radish leading the Coalition is guaranteed to win the female and younger generation's vote "back". At least Susssssan will have an excuse for taxpayer-funded trips to Brisbane from now on.

Bereft.
    Gotta say the Valdemort insult was pretty hard hitting…

Bruce Cockburn

So various commentators are voicing their disapproval of people referring to the Honourable Peter Dutton as Boofhead....... all the while......

And the comments relating to Julia Gillard being Bob Brown's female dog......

While i think its advisable the electorate returns to a more civil approach to political discourse, we need to see an admission and clear determination from the Libs side of the boxing ring to kove in that direction before any datente is possible.
    Last edited by Hallam; 05-25-2022 at 09:17 PM.

Bruce Cockburn

'Honourable' does not apply. In fact it applies to very few of them all.
    And 'various commentators'?………… tell them to get ………………….

Eat your words spud head!

Anthony Green - election parody

@AnthonyGreen

The best thing about Twitter is there is literally an old tweet for every situation!
    #auspol

Last edited by Hallam; 05-26-2022 at 03:56 PM.

Bruce Cockburn

Hah, Scomo and Barney think that the voters just wanted to "change the curtains".

Joyce had a 2% swing against him and a 4% swing to the Labor candidate and a 3% swing to the Greens. Chester had a 2% swing to him and a -4% swing from Labor. Littleproud's vote didn't change much at all.
    Rick

Everyone in Labor's hoping that Dutton and Joyce are the new .... er, leaders. I'd rather see a pair that didn't escape straight from Madame Tussaud's.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Everyone in Labor's hoping that Dutton and Joyce are the new .... er, leaders. I'd rather see a pair that didn't escape straight from Madame Tussaud's.
    As always, very nicely put.

Listening to Vic state and fed libs on the radio today in the shed, I think they have some time to go.
    Now it's the voters fault, they made a 'mistake'. The independents are still being derided as rich dilletantes, 'professional women', and as for unseating Josh, they still can't believe that. Interestingly Monique Ryan who unseated him had over 1,000 volunteer doorknockers, and every front door they could get at was knodcked on.
    Way back when I was involved in politics that was what both parties did. Knocked on doors, listened, took notes, sometimes called back. In the process I fixed taps, changed light bulbs, climbed ladders, etc, etc. It paid off, people even remembered my name and said hello in the street.
    The greens also knocked on doors, purportedly 90,000 of them in Brisbane. I reckon that like us, people just turned off the tele when the ads came on, but we must acknowledge Clives contribution to the nations economy, but then he earns $1,000,000 a day it seems, only surpassed by Gina at $34 billion more or less.

The LibNats won't learn from this, it goes against everything they want to do. I think they see themselves as a born to rule defacto aristocracy.

Yes, that what it sounded like today, a mixture of anger, shock and utter incomprehension.
    (and in the opening of Q&A, the same seems to apply).

and they've dragged old fishnets out of retirement! He's suggesting spies, like in East Timor……. and he just got asked about it! But we all know what they did of course.

And now he's getting quite agitated, and citing the independents about pork barelling! Sports rorts anyone? Downer does not like the diminishing of the 2 party closed shop and is forecasting chaos and weak government, and is is under fire and that's a very good thing. Quite the dinosaur, and undoubtedly up to his neck in sewage as Foreign Minister.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 05-26-2022 at 06:26 AM.

St Josh! What an ineffectual waste of political space he was. A career propping up Downer, Howard and Morrison and he's the lost messiah? It's just too funny.
    Rick

Well well, that highly unusual text regarding the interception of a boat from Sri Lanke on Election Day?
    Request came from Morrisons office.

There's a few heads should roll in Border Force and Home Affairs.
    In fact I'd break both up back to, immigration, Customs and Excise, and as for the Home Affairs, a copycat from American RW politics, should be exised completely.

And here's an unholy duo, Dutton and Robert. Pragmatists? Not a principle to be seen. Being pushed in some quarters evidently.

I also note a headline about Labour wishing to sideline the Greens. I hop for Labour's future that's not true, regardless of the state of the houses. But they do have a 'list of demands'
    https://www.theguardian.com/australi...power-wishlist
    The negotiations begin.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 05-26-2022 at 03:52 PM.

Regarding Morrisons 'call' to Border Farce, his last act as Prime Mistreater, its a fitting bookend to the Howard era which began in earnest with the children overboard lie!
    Long may they fester in irrelevance and exposed dishonesty.

Bruce Cockburn

Robert got interviewed on RN just now, talk about arrogance!

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    The LibNats won't learn from this, it goes against everything they want to do. I think they see themselves as a born to rule defacto aristocracy.
    Regarding born to rule.
    Donald Horne made a similar observation in Death of a Lucky Country.