Page 805 of 808 FirstFirst ... 305705755795804805806 ... LastLast
Results 28,141 to 28,175 of 28262

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

All of this will get lost as Covid races ahead of us. As it will even if we manage to coral it into some control here, in the rest of the world? I wonder if any politician in the world will have the courage to tell us we are doubly stuffed, climate and Covid.

From Tom Montgomery:
    Two new studies published by
    JAMA Cardiology indicate that COVID-19 often results in lasting heart damage, even in formerly healthy people who have recovered from the initial symptoms.

Well over half a year into the COVID-19 pandemic, experts are learning more about the virus that was initially believed to be only a respiratory illness. Over time, it’s become clear that COVID-19 attacks far more than just the lungs, and new research indicates that it can leave lasting heart damage, even in formerly healthy people who have recovered from the initial symptoms.

Two new studies, both from Germany, examined the effects of COVID-19 on the heart, with one focusing on recovered patients and the other on older victims of the virus.

The first study, published Monday in JAMA Cardiology, found that three-quarters of recovered COVID-19 patients were left with structural changes to their hearts, even two months later.

The researchers examined cardiac MRIs from 100 recovered COVID-19 patients between the ages of 45 to 53, and compared them to MRIs of similar people who did not contract the virus. Most of the COVID-19 patients had recovered at home, while 33 had to be hospitalized at some point in their illness.

Of the 100 COVID-19 patients, 78 had structural changes to their hearts. Within that group, 76 had a biomarker that is typically found in patients who had a heart attack, and 60 had heart inflammation, called myocarditis. The patients were all “mostly healthy … prior to their illness,” the researchers said.

"The patients and ourselves were both surprised by the intensity and prevalence of these findings, and that they were still very pronounced even though the original illness had been by then already a few weeks away," study co-author Dr. Valentina Puntmann, a consultant physician, cardiologist and clinical pharmacologist at University Hospital Frankfurt in Germany, told UPI.

The second study, also published in JAMA Cardiology, looked at autopsy reports from 39 COVID-19 victims between 78 and 89 years old who died at the start of the pandemic. The researchers found that the virus had infected the heart in 41 percent of the patients.

“We see signs of viral replication in those that are heavily infected,” study co-author Dirk Westermann, a cardiologist at the University Heart and Vascular Centre in Hamburg, told Stat. “We don’t know the long-term consequences of the changes in gene expression yet. I know from other diseases that it’s obviously not good to have that increased level of inflammation.”

https://people.com/health/three-quar..._P9_8sSTPev6C4

Last edited by skuthorp; 07-30-2020 at 05:52 AM.

Looks like Palmer's calling the favours.
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-...neral/12511212
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Here is a link to RN's Late Night Live where Phillip Adams interviews Crikey.com.au writer Guy Rundle on the subject of the CIA's involvement in the dismissal of the whitlam Govt.

Did Kerr sack Whitlam for the Americans? - Late Night Live - ABC Radio National

and containing more info, Guy Rundle's article at crikey:

Rundle: all facts point to US involvement in the Dismissal
    Last edited by Hallam; 07-31-2020 at 06:44 AM.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Looks like Palmer's calling the favours.
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-...neral/12511212
    Money speaks strongly in the corridors of power.
    What if the HC opens WA borders on legal grounds, and as I suspect the voters object, strongly on public health grounds?
    And then someone in WA dies because of that decision…….?
    Last edited by skuthorp; 08-03-2020 at 06:25 AM.

Spoke to an old acquaintance in WA today, asked how it was like living in 'the land of the free?'.
    Evidently the union movement is threatening to shut down Clives WA operations if the HC supports his action.

FourCorners re 5G.
    I think the conspiracy theory crowd are barking up the wrong tree, if there is a tree.
    But I can see concerns that such a universal, comprehensive 'basket' with all your eggs in it is not a very good idea, regardless of Chinese government involvement. That is just another problem. The other is that it allows almost universal surveillance, and given the thirst for such powers in every Australian policing field \from ASIS to the local dog catcher that is a very very bad idea. I know it would allow better comms, remote surgery etc but experience tells us that those applications would not be the priority, especially with a RW government.

Neverthe less I do think that it will be with us soon if only in a limited way, for such surveillance applications as I instanced above. But they'll probably stuff it up as per usual..

While watching 4 corners I wondered if there might be some vulnerability with Pine Gap

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Possibly, I hadn't thought of that but I really reckon that the US dropped the ball on their own 5G research and are pi55ed off.

For the other surveillance reasons it would be a proper cleft stick, and we certainly cannot trust governments or authorities to play by any rules, regardless of any laws.

Looking out my window, snowing steadily and settling. Be needing a St Bernard dog.

Yes, tonights news was you beat Antartica in Liawenee………….

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-...wenee/12533394

My sisters place just out of Launceston.

Bruce Cockburn

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Yes, tonights news was you beat Antartica in Liawenee………….

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-...wenee/12533394
    The Antarctic people had a training facility on the plains a little West of Liawenee, one of the most miserable spots in Tassie and closest in desolation terms to Antartica. It's now a flash resort.
    Some great, challenging, fly fishing to be had in that neighbourhood.

Tonights Drum
    Treasurer encouraging women to have more babies.
    Women on the programe said they were not convinced that bringing a child into this world at present was not a great idea. And that the covid job losses had impacted women to a much greater extent, and that the free labour was not appreciated anyhow. So what is in it for them?
    I have felt the same way since I was 11, decided no kids, and the older I get the more sure I am about that decision. There is no logic in it, only instinct and biology and the genes are well in charge there.

Q&A.
    Question was asked "What if there's no vaccine?"
    Answers were not encouraging, ther has never been an efficient vaccine developed for a human corona virus. S we have the 'new normal' meaning continued infections and many deaths and a complete reorganisation of accomodation for the elderly primarily, but also the medical profession. They cannot go on like this for very long. Schools, factories, sport, entertainment, tourism… to take part you'll have to accept the risk. The world is about to contract to it's component parts. Very small component parts unless, re the vaccine, there is some sort of a miracle.
    I go back again to the WHO at the beginning of this
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/scien...ganisation-WHO
    Last edited by skuthorp; 08-10-2020 at 07:19 AM.

In the back of my mind i've always looked at my boat as a sort of backstop for a changed world. Don't quite know what that means but i suppose i'll figure it out.

Bruce Cockburn

Ruby Princess enquiry. No federal officials have been named or called. They were juniors it seems, and neither them or their bosses in BF or Agriculture have been called to answer questions, only State.
    Means the report is a waste of paper and time as they protect Dutton.

And the Feds are not looking too flash in the Nursing Home enquiry either, no viable pandemic plan at all, but then as a nation warehousing our aged and infirm to peanut butter sandwiches for private profit has been allowed to develop. LibNat ideology hasn't helped either though I have little faith that Labour would have changed the model.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 08-10-2020 at 05:20 PM.

Kiribas has evidently asked China to help with raising the level of the island……….
    Aus and Canada have been doing some engineering consulting on the subject.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Kiribas has evidently asked China to help with raising the level of the island……….
    Aus and Canada have been doing some engineering consulting on the subject.
    That Kiribati thing is fascinating.
    They have islands well within striking distance of US territory. China have clear experience in transforming atolls into.......

In Ireland there's an airport at a religious destination - Knock.
    There was a bishop really keen to build this airport back in the 80's, but couldn't get finance for it.
    One day all this money appeared. Some benefactor chipped in the money to build a bloody airport, no strings attached!
    They built the runway and then the money dried up.
    It is a massive runway, the story goes; the only plane in the world at the time that needed a runway that big was a B52 bomber.........

There's ways and means and nobody has to know.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Witness K and Collaery synposis by Ian Cunliffe.

Ian Cunliffe is the former head of the legal section of the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet, chief executive of the Australian Constitutional Commission and chief executive/director of research of the Australian Law Reform Commission
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...y-are-on-trial

This isn't the first extremely competent and respected person to step up and paint a clear picture of whats going on here.
    i'm amazed there isn't more political fall out over this.

In 2014 Downer said on ABC Four Corners that Australia had acted in Woodside’s interests in the negotiations. After leaving politics, Downer became a paid consultant to Woodside. The head of Downer’s department at the time of the bugging, the late Dr Ashton Calvert, became a director of Woodside within eight months after retiring from foreign affairs, and within a year of the bugging.

Witness K was incensed that Downer had profited by becoming a consultant to Woodside. The whistleblower complained to the inspector general of intelligence and security of a changed Asis culture. He was authorised to engage Collaery. The charges against Collaery stem from that engagement.
    Last edited by gypsie; 08-18-2020 at 12:32 AM.

Seems that if there's an effective vaccine developed Australians will get their shots free. I wonder if it will be made compulsory in the interests of public health?
    Then there's the matter of Worker's comp for health workers contracting Covid.
    And the problems of border closures and harvest time.

Also bump for Purri….

It could hardly be compulsory, thats a human rights issue no?

Tell you what but, if its just diluted chlorine from one of Trumps mates - i think i'll wait to see the side effects.
    Or a concoction Putin tested on some poor bastids from Georgia or something.

If it comes out of Europe, I'll put my hand up for sure.

"It could hardly be compulsory, thats a human rights issue no?"
    Morison is indicating it might be so except for health reasons. I think that providing we get one and that is by no means sure it should be on public heath grounds alone. Otherwise isolate and confine those not wanting to be part of the community. There are several existing legislative remedies that could be brougght to bear including quarantine and child abuse laws. Then there's the constant threat of death to the elderly, and the expenses involved in hospitalising them. I would be very surprised if this did not get wide support in the community.
    This virus is far too infectious and dangerous to indulge the anti vaxers.

I don't believe even Morrison can force someone to take medicine. I'm all but certain thats a UN Humans Rights thing.
    Childrens polio/measels etc... vaccines are pretty critical to saving lives and yet many go around without them.

Also - forcing a vaccine that has just come out, tested how, and out of where?
    Thalidomide anyone?
    If that goes sideways history will forget all about the first recession in 30 years, they'll only know about the guy who forcefully injected a population......

Don't get me wrong, I'm in favour of a vaccine, but compulsory or not, I'm gonna be sure of its provenance before i stick it in my veins, or my kids, even if it means a hefty slap on the wrist.

I think we are jumping virus the gun here and presuming what indications are that we will not get one. Indications are that antibodies fade at about 4 months, that means 2-3 shots a year. It increasingly seen that the virus has effects on the vascular systems on the young, 12-39, and scars their lungs and will likely shorten their lives.
    Meantime we have signed up for a possible vaccine from an Oxford research facility but no actual contract, meanwhile other countries have signed up for millions of doses whilst we are casting about for a local manufacturer.
    I suspect the WHO was correct in it's early concerns re population.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 08-19-2020 at 04:07 AM.

scarey.

As far as i know, the antibodies can fade but the imprint in the immune system lasts for the rest of your life. The body can create antibodies as it requires once it has that imprint.

The Oxford vaccine; sounds like they were onto it even before the outbreak of COVID19.
    https://www.theguardian.com/australi...-covid-vaccine

So far the vaccine acquisition is only a letter of intent.
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-...xford/12575432

I am highly amused. Fed's justification for extending ASIO's powers is 'the rise of RW Neo Nazi organisations'. Hello? Anyone remember the local Ustashi and other quasi military RW setups?

Well, they can't say China out loud anymore.

It's days like this I really miss Peter's dry comments.

(Talked to Carol the other day, she seems to be getting it together, and is quite glad given the virus to safe in the bush.)

Morning all. Presuming a useful vaccine emerges, either one that neutralises it, or one that moderates it (the more likely). It will require specialised facilities to produce it, factories in effect. And plenty of them. and given that it normally takes 5-10 years to develop a vaccine safely, wa aint going to be out of the woods any time soon.
    Next question is how do we live with it, which is what most of the boomers generation face if not the population in general. It may come down to just accepting that people over say 65 or so will be at increased risk no matter what we think of the idea.

This will not be a choice for politicians in aspic, but a choice for the community represented, and I mean represented, by our parliaments.

Thoughts?

I'm going to put ths up as a new thread
    Last edited by skuthorp; 08-21-2020 at 05:01 PM.

Branch stacking: So this time it's the Libs. How old hat, been going on for ever.
    No wonder neither major will touch an effective Federal ICAC despite vague noises at election time.
    Of course there's always been a proportion of crooks in parliaments, but this little conspiracy to drive the Libs right by recruiting the religious conservatives is a doosey.

And then there's the Oxford Vaccine if it comes about. So two archbishops talk about ''ethical vaccines". Given past events I'd say they are the last lot to listen to on the subject of the subject of ethics. They have no standing.

I see that there are calls in NZ to deport Tarrant back to Australia. Quite apart from tit for tat over Aus's deporting of NZ born crim's, it's probably justified. Half way would be good just drop him off in the Tasman.

......call it sink or swim justice!

Bruce Cockburn

He certainly needs to be 'disappeared' and his name never used lest he become a focal point.