Page 804 of 805 FirstFirst ... 304704754794803804805 LastLast
Results 28,106 to 28,140 of 28157

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

On employment and what full employment now means.
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-...ition/12446608
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

They eventually developed a new definition: full employment would mean the level of unemployment that kept a lid on inflation (i.e. on wages and prices).
    That is interesting.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

4 corners.
    Powerful
    The ABC will make few friends with this one.

But then who needs people with those attitudes as even acquaintances.

Well well, who'd a thunk it…………..

"A government-ordered inquiry into the funding of legal class actions descended into acrimony on its first day of hearings when the first witness from a Liberal party thinktank was accused of misquoting a federal judge and citing unreliable figures."

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...K?ocid=BingHPC

What a farce.
    These right wing nuts just don't get the idea of 'facts' at any level. They believe if they say it then its true. Total f-wits.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    4 corners.
    Powerful
    The ABC will make few friends with this one.

But then who needs people with those attitudes as even acquaintances.
    Stan Grant - a national treasure.

That small bit of footage of David Dungay was gut wrenching. The bit where they called his name and there was no movement. I hope his familly are okay after seeing that.

I see parliament has been effectively prorogued, not even an on line parliament as yet..
    For this government once it's gone I'm not sure they'll want it back. Threre is a history of cancelling parliament when there were difficulties.

Rather odd that parliament is out but going to watch the rugby is apparently still fine.

Reeks of expediency.

Q&A.
    The one senior medical panel member found it hard against an audience attitude that eventually this will all go away and we will get back to normal if only the politicians do something. The reality of a covid presence for the forseeable future has yet to sink in. That 'normal' will likely never return. But it is early days, the virus is still largely an unknown. Maybe in a year or three it will sink in.

The Sara Henderson, Vic. Lib. was thoroughly unimpressive and did not seem to know much but the party line, and Adam Bant has learnt the politicians skill of never taking a breath…….

Henderson is the political equivalent of foam filler.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

The Libs use her as a front quite often, probably because she's so lightweight and only knows how to parrot the company line even when sh'e caught out.

Things are looking quite grim for the US presidential election given donald's and his parties machinations, private 'police', voter fraud and purging and the threat of armerd 'observers' at polling places.
    If the election is unsound, fraudulent (and that won't be the first time), or even just cancelled what do you think that Scomo's and the coalition's position will be regarding the US, because the US's position regarding Aus will be as a R&R for their marines, an aircraft carrier, and of course Pine Gap.
    I reckon they'd just take us over if we tried to shut them out of Pine Gap. Of course we could ask the Chinese for backup………...

Q&A.
    The one senior medical panel member found it hard against an audience attitude that eventually this will all go away and we will get back to normal if only the politicians do something. The reality of a covid presence for the forseeable future has yet to sink in. That 'normal' will likely never return. But it is early days, the virus is still largely an unknown. Maybe in a year or three it will sink in.

Or, maybe...
    https://www.afr.com/politics/federal...0200722-p55ec3
    “Preliminary results of studies to discover how many people are naturally immune to COVID-19 suggest between 250,000 and 500,00 Australians may have already been infected, NSW Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant says.
    The analysis, based on blood samples taken from pregnant women and pathology tests used for other purposes, indicates the 12,428 official diagnoses vastly underestimate the spread of the novel coronavirus in Australia.

I’m beginning to wonder if susceptibility could be as simple as some basic dietary deficiency, or something equally simple. Watching footage the other night of old age home dishing party pies and sausage rolls for residents main meal... do you think these folks might possibly have any such deficiencies?
    Hypothesis only.

Hi Shamus, there is a basic dietary problem in 'nursing homes'. That is a problem with the 'for profit' model and with the very concept of contracting out the care our senior citizens (my age group) to private business.
    The matter of infection is to an extent also an industrial and ideological problem. If you are a casual, or worse a cashie, then staying home from work means no money, no sick leave, and after a fortnight no job. The gig economy has been exposed as the rort it has always been, and a root and branch review of our industrial laws and pracyices will be needed if only because of this epidemic.

My point is.. if 250,000 or double that, have been happily and unknowingly spreading this thing, it looks as if it is about as dangerous as the common cold, except in a handful of cases.
    Why then lock down?
    Initially that reaction seemed perfectly reasonable. It looks much less so if these figures are correct.

I don’t like the for profit aged care any better than you do, but I’ve also noticed that old people not in care often reach a stage where they are not doing much, and not eating much.

Five dead overnight, infection 403. Our shire has one, an import from Melbourne. 113 regional in total.
    Evidently 53% are not self isolating after getting a test and before their results for fear of losing their jobs. The state government has made an announcement about financing casual and gig workers if they have to isolate, but keeping their jobs at all is a big part of the problem.

Witness K

The embarrassing point laid bare;
    The major beneficiary of Australia’s initial win in the boundary negotiations was Woodside Petroleum Ltd. Alexander Downer was foreign affairs minister at the time of the bugging. ASIS came under his ministerial responsibility. On the ABC’s Four Corners in 2014, Downer admitted Australia had acted in Woodside’s interests in negotiating with Timor Leste. After leaving politics, Downer became a paid consultant to Woodside. The secretary of Downer’s department at the time of the bugging, the late Ashton Calvert, became a director of Woodside nine months after his retirement from Foreign Affairs, and very soon after the bugging.
    And, of course, John Howard was Downers line manager.....

https://www.smh.com.au/national/secr..._smh_newsalert

Jobs for the boys.

It's what I call a 'Post-dated Bribe'. But in this case 'they all do it' is true.

The libs have a history of post-dated documents, our 'invitation' to take part in the Vietnam War for instance.

Irish Gov will sell of its interests in fossil fuels.
    1 less conflict of interest over energy choices.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...m-fossil-fuels

3 SA liberal pollies commit $70,000 fraud over travel expenses and all that happens is they agree to pay it back.

If I was a lawyer I'd be asking questions, like is this a legal precedent were setting here. Of course with the sports rorts no one has to pay anything back, and it's not even fraud. Our parliament is as corrupt as the US legislatures in it's own dirty little
    way.

AOC, on a par with Julia's speech to Abbott
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...-reckoned-with

^ good but not quite as succinct.

You'd REALLY wash your hands if you used ACO's response......

St Basil's nursing home in the northern suburbs has, so far, 73 cases and not all have been tested yet, some have died. All the staff have been removed and isolated, the substitute staff of course have no idea of dietary, medical, and other requirements like incontinence let alone the names of the residents. It is being describhed as chaos. But not all homes atre like this one, some are doing well.
    It's not the State government that is the problem here, it's a Federally funded facility, but descriptions of conditions in St Basils from visitors and the replacement team are horrific. Industrialised for profit aged care along with a population of permanent homeless would seem to be something we can no longer afford. Euthanasia would be kinder.
    It is interesting that it is a conservative government going against their ideology coping with this, a Labour government would have had all sorts of sniping from the LibNats if they dard to go this far.

Heard an interview with a Professor in Vic who stated unequivocally that the state run facilities where much better run with better training and staffing levels that the private sector here in Vic. My wife works at a private Aged Care facility in Mornington and it's very well run and managed. They instigated a number of measures foe their covid response like each wing has its own permanent staff on roster so there is no mixing from one floor or section with another. Casual staff can not work at other facilities for the duration of the epidemic, vegies arn't overcooked, there is a variety of options on the menu for each meal etc
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Two ministers to AUSMIN. Looks like Pompeo snapped his fingers and, as usual, our lapdog Govt. came to heel.

Prepare for big demands from the US re China. No trade, resident missiles, participation in any American OS adventurism….again, etc, etc.
    All this at the finger snap of a criminal US government.
    The US domesti political rivalry and diminished international reputation is likely to get a lot of Australians killed………. again.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 07-26-2020 at 05:17 PM.

And while I'm about it.
    Koala extinction. Just heard both Fed and NSW environment ministers. Patronising flim flam and responsibility deflection when it came to actual land clearing laws and particularly enforcement.
    Expect no action.

I think that the lucrative business of warehousing the elderly and infirm might just have passed it's use by date...

• 88 cases linked to Estia's aged care home in Ardeer
    • 86 cases linked to St Basil's Home for the Aged in Fawkner
    • 82 cases linked to Epping Gardens, in Epping
    • 76 cases linked to Kirkbrae Presbyterian Homes in Kilsyth
    • 62 cases linked to Menarock Life's aged care home in Essendon
    • 53 cases linked to Glendale Aged Care in Werribee
    • 51 cases linked to Baptcare's Wyndham Lodge in Werribee
    • 50 cases linked to Estia's aged care home in Heidelberg
    • 40 cases linked to Outlook Gardens aged care in Dandenong North
    • 39 cases linked to Arcare's aged care home in Craigieburn

Virus to the north of me,Virus to the south.Here I am, stuck in the middle With you.

East and west of us too, I reckon it's just a matter of time.
    We had ordered a new car (her idea) 3 months or so. Where to go is one question, will it arrive before the virus is another………….

We should not have spent the money but………….. not my decision.

Two 19 year old women travelled from Victoria to Logan QLD have tested positive. Seems they lied about where they had been in Victoria.

East and west of us too, I reckon it's just a matter of time.
    We had ordered a new car (her idea) 3 months or so. Where to go is one question, will it arrive before the virus is another………….

We should not have spent the money but………….. not my decision.

Ha! We just bought a Van to convert into a camper....all dressed up with nowhere to go!

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Two 19 year old women travelled from Victoria to Logan QLD have tested positive. Seems they lied about where they had been in Victoria.
    Find an old asbestos mine for them to reside in for about 3 months or so........................

Find an old asbestos mine for them to reside in for about 3 months or so........................
    When i was youth working we always endeavoured to apply natural and logical consequences for errant behaviour with some connection to the misdeed. So for these young women after isolation and testing clear, a two week stint working in a Covid ward would be a fitting consequence and hopefully a life changing learning experience.

Emails show officials only realised the mistake after all passengers had disembarked the Ruby Princess
    Last edited by Hallam; 07-30-2020 at 04:50 AM.

Bruce Cockburn

Revealed on &.30 Report tonight, Border Force officer made a crucial error when he mistook ordinary flu test negative results for covid test results from Ruby Princess and then permitted passengers to disembark. This was known by Border Force since the day after yet consistently denied.

Ruby Princess passengers allowed off ship after Border Force mistook negative flu tests for coronavirus results - ABC News

Bruce Cockburn