Page 803 of 805 FirstFirst ... 303703753793802803804 ... LastLast
Results 28,071 to 28,105 of 28150

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

Those are the groups that I was talking about, and it comes down to numbers when you want to influence government. And it comes down to finding people who are prepared to take office and the hard road of opposing employers, often governments, and too often other unions to lever conditions that in a year are taken as an entitlement, not something that you have to guard every day. My Brotherl was accused of child abduction and murder by an employer of his members, had bomb threats, and had his car burnt in his drive…. and that was the rival faction in his union! As the old saying was, "If you don't fight you loose"
    Never has there been a better illustration.
    I expect the Morrison government to lever the results of the virus and the depression to their own supporters advantage.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 06-29-2020 at 03:34 AM.

Q&A
    The Arts allocation controlled by politicians.
    Shorten nailed it, coming soon, Just what was thinking - Arts Rorts.

More than 900 people in the 'locked down' suburbs have refuse to be tested.

Fear of finding out I expect, fear of the quarantine consequences…..

Pretty irresponsible. I think anyone refusing to be tested should be quarantined.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Australia to fix the massive economic mess now facing us by borrowing more money to spend on useless American military crap.
    Rick

Australian PM of all stamps are seemingly beholden to be the US's 'deputy sheriff' no matter what side of politics they come from. There's a lot of stuff going on there that we will never be told.
    Of course whether there is a reliabe reciprocity is another matter entirely.

Morrison was always hawkish, and the words and the tone of the speech quite concerning. I'm afraid that it indicates that if the US says jump, a LibNat government will. I note the regurgitating of the mythical 'defence missile shield' in agressive tones.
    Marketing fear as fast as he can….."Look! Over here……"
    Last edited by skuthorp; 06-30-2020 at 05:21 PM.

Khaki politics. What they do when they have nothing else to offer.
    Rick

I had to laugh today, on the afternoon ABC an announcer said, re the cover spike here, "The buck stops with the Premier". Evidently the switchboard lit up with protests to the point that "You can't legislate against stupidity". But there has been fraud on behalf of the security contractor, bribery and sexual abuse by the guards, and shifts charged for that were never staffed.
    I do not know why we did not use the military and police like other states.
    Suitable punishment could be a double dose of Covid infection and 6 monts in isolation…….just to be sure…...

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Australia to fix the massive economic mess now facing us by borrowing more money to spend on useless American military crap.
    I've pinched that.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

It does seem unfair. Vic had the strictest restrictions of all the states (I think) but now they have the worst outbreak.
    Rick

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Saying we'll spend 250 billion on the military (or whatever it is) is not the same as doing it.
    We're in tense times with China - personally, i'm not comfortable with China's expression of its new found confidence. Hong Kong and the AI stuff and where that can go..... cyber attacks... tariffs on Australia..... They seem to have a beef with the world, and particularly us. They don't have a history of invading other countries (they have always claimed Tibet as part of China - centuries old), but the Indian border, encroachment into the South China Sea.... I think we have good reason the sit up straight.

Taiwanese must have sweaty palms..
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Vietnam was actually stolen from the Chinese, many moons ago so their claim to the South China Sea isn't all that different to their claim on Tibet. HK was stolen from them, so was Taiwan. China has a right to advance the welfare of 1.5 billion citizens. I think the American alliance is a greater threat to us than China and I would trust the Chinese long before I'd trust the Americans.
    Rick

Gypsie, "Patriotism (read nationalism) is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

This applies as a distraction in China, 40 million unmarried males with no prospect of a wife. That alone is a recipe for revolution. A shortage of potable water, the aging the population as a result of a cultural preference for sons in a one child society, and maybe the blowback from the discovery that 1/3rd of China's gol reserves are copper, or lead….gold plated….
    That 'gold' has funded borrowings for much of their building programmes, new islands included, and borrowed from whom? their own population. A giant Ponzi scheme. And the actual gold? I expect its in senior party members OS accounts.
    Interesting times, given that 'the West' is in complete disarray, the US up to it's eyeballs in debt, Russia cover basket case and a private fiefdom. So we wave a small stick, grease the US ass and………… distract, again.

We are suckers all, and being played for it.

^Skuthorp, I'm sure you're not accusing me of Patriotism - please?

There's a shift in the world order - and i don't think its worthless for Oz to fluff its feathers a little.

ah yes - the 'Lightening' that couldn't fly in the rain...

Also - submarines that we don't have the capacity to build in this country.

Posturing could just as well be done by moving manufacturing into Australia.
    There are skills here, there just isn't scale.

Yeah, technically and tactically obsolete already I'd say. Maybe the first one will be OK, the last will never be built.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    ^Skuthorp, I'm sure you're not accusing me of Patriotism - please?

There's a shift in the world order - and i don't think its worthless for Oz to fluff its feathers a little.
    I was referring to China gypsie. But I think they've gotten our measure after years of observing our subservient attitudes the the US. We've got one shot, and donald is in charge of it.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Vietnam was actually stolen from the Chinese, many moons ago so their claim to the South China Sea isn't all that different to their claim on Tibet. HK was stolen from them, so was Taiwan. China has a right to advance the welfare of 1.5 billion citizens. I think the American alliance is a greater threat to us than China and I would trust the Chinese long before I'd trust the Americans.
    Who stole it? Was it the people who lived there, or someone else?
    I don’t know what to think of the military spending. I doubt that it will make us much more capable than we are already of defending ourselves against the Chinese, which is not at all. It seems plain that the Chinese are intent on spreading their totalitarian form of government geographically, apparently not content with trading peacefully, and sucking all the wealth from the world that way. With all the dirty deeds the US has at times engaged in, I’d still prefer them, as there is always the possibility of change. At the moment The US looks terminal.

Comes to that we europeans stole this continent from a population that had been managing quite well for 60 odd thousand years.
    And yes we will have to come to terms with China's regiona dominannce I think.

The much touted F35 is now considered not up to the task it is being aquired for.

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    Who stole it? Was it the people who lived there, or someone else?
    I don’t know what to think of the military spending. I doubt that it will make us much more capable than we are already of defending ourselves against the Chinese, which is not at all. It seems plain that the Chinese are intent on spreading their totalitarian form of government geographically, apparently not content with trading peacefully, and sucking all the wealth from the world that way. With all the dirty deeds the US has at times engaged in, I’d still prefer them, as there is always the possibility of change. At the moment The US looks terminal.
    Vietnam? It was actually a Chinese governor who stole it. Yes, I think he was living in that part of China that became Vietnam.

China has a long history of being invaded and suppressed by foreign invaders and traders. They don't have a history of invading others or spreading, really.

The US has caused massive devastation across the planet through aggressive trading practices and political interference.
    Rick

I know I’ll regret sticking my nose in here, but if you lot would look beyond yours collectively you’d see that Australia has already started the move away from buying American (defence material) and that the intent of the escalated defence budget is to bring defence manufacturing back to Oz, to move away from the current dependence on more powerful and otherwise distracted allies - US, UK etc. and to seperate us from their own internal problems and external political issues with potentially aggressive nations......
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Well, if that's truly the case then that would be a good thing. We're already committed to spending a fortune on planes that don't work and submarines that probably won't, and now we're hearing about new missiles ... But Greg, you're obviously much closer to other goings on in the military so if you say that there's new investment in Australian manufacturing then I'm going to say that's welcome news!
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    The much touted F35 is now considered not up to the task it is being aquired for.
    Well, from my memory we knew that anyhow. Could have bought cheaper from the Russians……..or the Chinese……..

Greg, and nice to hear from you, if what you say is correct it's a very good thing. Pity about the motor industry though, and our fuel reserves. There's a lot of damage been done in the last few years. Re the missiles to be bought: how many? Will we have enough for one shot, or two, or an ongoing campaign? I am not at all confident that any of our lot are capable of managing a piss up in a brewery, let alone build a defnce industry. We've been getting scraps from the US defence table for far too long.

But them I am a cynic aren't I?

From the Guardian, via Mike Field''. Dutton again.
    https://www.theguardian.com/australi...sa-protection?
    utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlBVVMtMjAwN zAz&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=GTAU_email &utm_campaign=GuardianTodayAUS

"In a judgment handed down on Thursday, Flick blasted Dutton for his “unapologetic reluctance to take personal responsibility for his own non-compliance with the law” and said the minister lacked candour in communications with the court by claiming he was not available to make a decision on the visa."

He doesn't look well, good.

108 new positives in Melbourne, 3,000 residents in 9 public housing towers restricted to their apartments. I suspect particular communities involved here, but I may be entirely wrong.

Going to be a be a difficult spring and summer down here. There seem to be a great number of stupid people about, but also a great number of amazing people supporting those in need despite the risks.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 07-05-2020 at 03:57 AM.

One third of the State's area and likely more than half the population shut down for 6 weeks. Melbourne and the big Mitchell shire directly north. Meanwhile our area and to the east has had two positives and both had driven from Melbourne the same day. s

On AM this morning the deputy PM arguing in three directions re China. On trade, nothing to see move on. On security we must be prepared to defend our sovereignty, On Hong Kong, 'we have an obligation'………. to help wealthy Hong Kong residents escape oppression………………. what? The Rohinga? nothing to see there either.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    On AM this morning the deputy PM arguing in three directions re China. On trade, nothing to see move on. On security we must be prepared to defend our sovereignty, On Hong Kong, 'we have an obligation'………. to help wealthy Hong Kong residents escape oppression………………. what? The Rohinga? nothing to see there either.
    Or that poor bloody Tamil family in limbo on Christmas Island.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    I know I’ll regret sticking my nose in here, but if you lot would look beyond yours collectively you’d see that Australia has already started the move away from buying American (defence material) and that the intent of the escalated defence budget is to bring defence manufacturing back to Oz, to move away from the current dependence on more powerful and otherwise distracted allies - US, UK etc. and to seperate us from their own internal problems and external political issues with potentially aggressive nations......
    When even the Liberal party starts getting nervous about Trump then you know its serious.
    What you say is a wise move in my opinion.

You know there are some decisions that can only be made by one of our parties not the other, and they are different decisions. A decision re a doubt, even a weakening of the US alliance can really only be made by our Conservative party. Can you imagine the hullaballo if a Labour government did the same? But in reality the US under donald is the one walking away, and even if the Dem's win the US is weaker in our area and the doubts will remain.

Victoria's numbers continue to climb from unknown vectors in the community, 280 today. Having seen behaviour down this way last weekend it wil; continue to do so despite thousands of Tests being carried out. I don't think we'll have a sailing season, and certainly not a regatta.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 07-09-2020 at 11:09 PM.

I can't help feeling we are heading for a period of very deep excrement.