Page 795 of 808 FirstFirst ... 295695745785794795796805 ... LastLast
Results 27,791 to 27,825 of 28262

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

I own some govt bonds. I think you all owe me. But I owe me also, and I don’t know how I’ll ever pay me back.

Hi I have just finished John Youngs book and no embarrassing notes on anyone just a very good honest book about one mans quest to leave the place better than when he arrived. I did realy enjoy the book and at times couldn't put it down. Phil and your brother and sister should be very proud of your father and the guidence he gives you in your life journey. I have been privileged to spend some time talking to John whilst at the greatest place one could meet at the Huon Yacht Club slipway in Tasmania

That's very disappointing!
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Rick
    Do you mean it's dissapointing that we talked at the Huon Yacht Club slipway or that I didn't think that there was no embarrassing titbits

Bruce

Very disappointing if there's nothing we can blackmail Phil with.
    Rick

Surely there's at least something that might be misconstrued with a bit of poetic licence?
    Rick

Thanks Bruce, glad you enjoyed the book! It's been a long time coming.

Hi Rick

I will leave it to you to form your own opinion on Johns book but I will be surprised if you don't find it interesting.

Bruce

Of course I will. I flicked through it and it looks great. I'm looking forward to reading it very much.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post

The other thing I wonder about, that I ought to know the answer to, but don't, is this. Every developed country has gone into massive debt to deal with this crisis. Who is it owed to? Why can't all the countries simply agree to balance out the debt? Okay, maybe I shouldn't have gone surfing instead of attending Economics 101 but is it such a dumb question? I do think I know the answer but I don't actually know the answer ....
    The debt Jubilee or financial reset may occur sooner than we think as the Credit bubble created since 2008 and now by Quantitive Easing won’t be sustainable.

And don’t get me started on Queensland’s bid for Virgin where our newly appointed Treasurer Dick is only to happy to rob part of the future fund set up initially as part of the Q Defined and Accumulated pension funds .

If history is a guide gold ,gold mining shares and realestate including land combined with liquidity is what some investors are aiming for.

Here are two interesting articles from the 9/ex Fairfax Saturday Age. It seems that there is developing a consensus amongst the voters, if not the industrialists about the reality of todays international politics and our rather fraught position re the US and China.

https://www.theage.com.au/by/latika-bourke-11tkbl

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fede...13-p54sl8.html

Have a read and see what you think. The listvat the end of the first article giving what we rely mostly on the China trade to deliver, and it's implications for our security and Aus's day to day operation are "interesting" indeed.

Then of course there's Duttons ambitions for more powers.

The Lib/Nats right are not doing anyone a favour, but maybe they still think the US cavalry is just over the horizon still.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 05-17-2020 at 06:33 AM.

The push for an inquiry seems to be gathering pace.
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-...id-19/12256910
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

I had a look at your 2 articles. According to an article I found in the AFR, 38% of our exports go to China, and 25% of our imports come from there.
    On the question of critical needs, what would we do? Set up a government body to oversee where stuff comes from?
    iI would think this would contravene WTO rules, and be rather inefficient. Beyond that, I’m out of ideas.

Amazing and seriously depressing all in one.
    https://iview.abc.net.au/show/four-c.../NC2003H015S00

It's why I just can't stand our current, hopeless politicians.
    Rick

.....a national tragedy.
    Looking at the anti Gillard protests in the 4 corners episode made me think of parallels with the Trump base phenomenon an the obvious connection of Murdoch media's role in creating a narrative and whipping up a hostility with a section of the population. I wonder what we will get as the next election approaches as things are looking pretty dull at the moment. With the continuing virus threat and the looming possibility of a global recession i'm not sure the climate will get much attention at all.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

The big stuff, like climate, is a wasteland for politicians, there are going to be no winners and politicians promise will be even more fraudulent. Politicians only work on hope, the voters hope that someone, anyone, is still in charge….as long as it isn't them. More productive to dissemble and act like it isn't happening, while the voter also prefers to avert their eyes unless the fire is at the door or the flood is washing them out of it.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

It appears the Libs continue to play with Climate policy as if it were some kind of choice - an opportunity to differentiate. The four corners show was very good. Ken Henry characterized the Libs approach really well; as a place to fight for political gain, over the interests of the country.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

I listened to this on RN the other day; https://www.abc.net.au/radionational...court/12202196

So we have more anti-terrorist laws that anywhere else - and virtually noone to use them on.

Now there's this; https://www.theguardian.com/australi...al-expert-says

At some point are the government (and Labour) going to tell us why we need these powers? It's not to fight terrorism, the threat there is negligible. It seems they are only used to persecute people who embarrass the government of the day (of both colours).

Stupid khaki politics. It's what politicians do when they have no actual ideas.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    It appears the Libs continue to play with Climate policy as if it were some kind of choice - an opportunity to differentiate. The four corners show was very good. Ken Henry characterized the Libs approach really well; as a place to fight for political gain, over the interests of the country.
    4 Corners was depressing....and it looks like the government has learned nothing positive from the present crisis other than more mining.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    4 Corners was depressing....and it looks like the government has learned nothing positive from the present crisis other than more mining.
    They just don't believe it is real.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    I listened to this on RN the other day; https://www.abc.net.au/radionational...court/12202196

So we have more anti-terrorist laws that anywhere else - and virtually noone to use them on.

Now there's this; https://www.theguardian.com/australi...al-expert-says

At some point are the government (and Labour) going to tell us why we need these powers? It's not to fight terrorism, the threat there is negligible. It seems they are only used to persecute people who embarrass the government of the day (of both colours).
    they are already telling us why they need the powers....the secret trial of "witness J in Canberra is one reason, the other so they can act illegally in negotiations, EG East Timor Sea Oil @ Gass on behalf of vested interests eg big private energy companies, and shut any one up who tries to shine a light on their criminality. They want to have power over those who would hold them accountable.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Learnings, as a noun pl.
    It makes me want to brick the tele, and all the outter ears of the utterers thereof.

Grumpy?
    Rick

So how do you feel about names these days? We just met a puppy called Edward. I said to T they'll probably call their kid Rover.

Not that I'm becoming an old grump like Shamus or anything.
    Rick

Yeah, imagine someone calling their dog Moon Unit………………………….Hang on………….

When did it start though, that ‘learnings’ thing?
    Why say ‘new learnings are coming out of this crisis’ when new lessons, new information, new conclusions, and no doubt others were already available?
    And why when somebody does it, does it suddenly become ubiquitous?
    In my opinion it is clunky. ‘Learning’ as a noun, already seems to me to be kind of plural.
    These thoughts are the informations I wish you to accept.

Grammarist agrees with me.
    Learnings is a pluralization of an erroneous form of learning as a singular noun. Said singular noun (e.g., a learning) does not exist, at least according to most dictionaries.

Also

Information is a non-countable noun (you can't have 4 informations), so it is neither singular nor plural. The correct usage is "information" without the 's'.

I believe the same argument applies to learning.

Language is an evolving beast……………'gay'…………….'imflammable'…………'liberal'……… …..'conservative'.
    And then there's the concept of the word 'lie', depends who you are talking about,politician or prole…………….

Names...I have two cats. One called Clifford and one called Thruxton, on account of his loud purr. Commonly abbreviated to Thruccy, but backfired when the infant granddaughter came up with Fuccy.

My grandfather rescued a big black badly mauled feral cat and nused it back to health. Of course being an intelligent beast it stayed around. He said "Dammit! I guess I'll have to keep you now", and Dammit it was.

The evolution of language should be fought tooth and nail, except where it adds something. I’ve nothing against new words, misused old ones, not so much. Decimated, enormity etc.

Learnings is a pretentious, new age thing but it's also a term commonly used by unpretentious NESB students and children in kindergarten.
    Rick