Page 794 of 816 FirstFirst ... 294694744784793794795804 ... LastLast
Results 27,756 to 27,790 of 28526

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

I put a signature on my posts. Soooo tech savvy. The ferret is descriptive. The lean is nostalgic.

Disappointing to hear that Alan Jones is retiring from radio due to ill health. I'd prefer he'd keep going and drop dead ASAP. I see he'll continue to spread his poison via the other, usual channels.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Poisonous little bully, but then our pollies let him get away with it. Complicit is the word.

Don't know whether this a scam or just fishing for business.
    Email which I dumped, and now a phone call telling me they were going to take $99 out of my account to 'renew my subscription'. As far as I know I do not have one, don't want one, and the bank agreed it was just fishing for clients and say they have no record of a prior payment, let alone permission to make one. Anyhow I stopped any attempt at such a withdrawal.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Don't know whether this a scam or just fishing for business.
    Email which I dumped, and now a phone call telling me they were going to take $99 out of my account to 'renew my subscription'. As far as I know I do not have one, don't want one, and the bank agreed it was just fishing for clients and say they have no record of a prior payment, let alone permission to make one. Anyhow I stopped any attempt at such a withdrawal.
    Scam.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...k-clover-moore

reason;
    “obtaining any additional information or evidence to prove the element of intent in relation to any relevant offences would likely require more than cooperative statements, and require investigative action using coercive powers”.
    “The use of such powers could have had an impact on the business of parliament and would involve a journalist and the identification of their source. These factors require significant public interest to justify further investigative action. The AFP considered the public interest against the assessment of harm in the matter.”
    So it seems, when it embarrasses a Lib politician, it is not in the public interest to investigate because it might mean following up with a reporter. However, when a reporter has done the embarrassing of a Lib politician, they can be screwed to the wall.

(The 'source' by the way is Taylor's office).

The only common denominator here is embarrassing a Lib politician.....

Anyway - all put to bed, nice and cozy.
    “Two police forces have considered this matter and have closed their separate inquiries.”
    As the AFP commissioner has said: “The matter is finalised.”
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Where do I find a cartoon of a policeman tugging his forelock?

Except that it isn't. Unless Taylor can prove that he accessed the 'information' in good faith, then he's guilty of the serious parliamentary offence of misleading parliament. Ministers would not ordinarily continue in a portfolio if they've misled parliament.
    Rick

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

And if for a second you thought science was ascendant in the Liberal party.....

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...e_iOSApp_Other
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

No, neither Coalition parties could care less about science or the environment. Labor isn't much better - all talk but never any action. Makes me sick.
    Rick

Rick the depth of your despair regarding politics actually worries me. It's justified of course. But doesn't feel like it's healthy. On the other hand maybe this is just a good place to vent. Hope you are OK.

I'm okay because I've just joined the Genesis II Church and am now adding chlorine dioxide to all that I eat and drink. I already feel Born Again and my teeth are getting whiter!!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-...fined/12242150

Thanks Phil but I'm fine. Our political parties just disgust me. They've never been more hopeless. As I've said before, the Greens are half mad but their environmental credentials are sound and I think that's now the most important issue. The major parties are going to use the CV debt as an excuse to ramp up mining and unsustainable agriculture etc. so I do think survival of our natural world is seriously threatened. It's a very bad time to have such a cynical bunch in parliament.

Just for fun, have a look at Mike Kelly. Poor Mike is too sick to carry on being a MP. So he has to quit and work for a US defence contractor. Poor Mike.
    Rick

I too have given up on them but reckon that at this stage the Voter would not be prepared to forego, willingly, it's privileges. Round the world billions are in a worse situation already. And in any case I reckon it's way too late to change anything significantly, adaption, maybe just coping is the only option we as a species have.
    And it's not going to be pretty, or cheap, or terribly successful.
    And that's just short term.
    I think it's a good time to be 77.

Meantime we're planting trees, rehoming Feather Gliders, watching our birds and being gratefull for the rain that is topping up the clay base that underlies the local area. That's important for the next dry.

Yes Mike Kelly is a disgusting POS. I t8 there was some sort of a layoff period between parliament and megabuck consulting. Silly me. Anyway, look for good things.

Speaking of which I heard part of a radio interview the other day maybe on Conversations, with a guy whose thesis was that the idea that peop6 are basically selfish, which underlies right wing economic and political theory, is wrong. He reckons the human race has prospered by virtue of survival of the friendliest. Our friendliness us what causes us to share great ideas and inventions. And that is what allows us to prosper. And trust. Our first instinct is to trust people. We assume friendliness rather than hostility. So we get along. I don't know big any of it valid, but it was refreshing.

Sorry about the typos. My Tapatalk app has died Dio I'm using ordin6 browser on my phone. Clunky as.

We have a wonderful and beautiful world. No need to look far to find it. We just need to stop the FWITs from destroying it. And this is not America - like a goon show over there now.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Speaking of which I heard part of a radio interview the other day maybe on Conversations, with a guy whose thesis was that the idea that peop6 are basically selfish, which underlies right wing economic and political theory, is wrong. He reckons the human race has prospered by virtue of survival of the friendliest. Our friendliness us what causes us to share great ideas and inventions. And that is what allows us to prosper. And trust. Our first instinct is to trust people. We assume friendliness rather than hostility. So we get along. I don't know big any of it valid, but it was refreshing.
    Yes, I heard it too. The `right' spends its time criticising the `left' for wanting to do good things. There are no good things that the `right' want to do, basically so they have to spend their time finding ways to explain why good things can't be done to justify their continuation of doing bad things.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Sorry about the typos. My Tapatalk app has died Dio I'm using ordin6 browser on my phone. Clunky as.
    On wsries pHl
    Rick

Meanwhile, I'm here trying to type on this laptop while my DAMNED DOG is aggressively licking me and walking all over the laptop because it's walk time and the worries of the world are far less important than THAT!!
    Rick

Take the dog for a walk.

I have given up mostly on my predictive text, produces garbage at times and I only bother to correct what is necessary.

Walked.
    We're at our little terrace in Cooks Hill. Just around the corner is a house where William Dobell lived. To commemorate this amazing fact, there's a little concrete block on the footpath with a bronze plaque on it, informing the world. Every morning, as we wander past, Woody lifts his leg and sprays the plaque. I suspect that every male dog does the same thing. I also suspect that, if I'm wrong and there is a spot where dead people sit on clouds and they have super powers, Dobell looks down and laughs his head off. Being a boring and repetitive person, I think of this each time.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I have given up mostly on my predictive text, produces garbage at times and I only bother to correct what is necessary.
    We still read them Jeff! Don't be so hard on yourself!

Anyway, some of us produce a lot more garbage than you do!
    Rick

Speaking of garbage:

The state of Oz politics
    At a time when stacks of people are isolated, unemployed and depressed, and even the Feds have appointed a head of mental health, Vic Lib MP Tim Smith publicly calls Dan Andrews a 'friendless loser'. ABC responds by asking Smith and the Vic opposition leader whether such mindblowingly insensitive and stupid behaviour indicates that he has leadership ambitions ...
    Rick

Smith is on a campaign to be Vic Lib leader, a RW Lib leader. I've heard him speak and on radio, Nasty bit of work and one of the silver spoon brigade. Reith once said "Why should I bother with them? They don't vote for us". Smith is much the same mentality.

Right. Certainly comes across as a complete prat. Vic Libs seem to be in a real mess. Like NSW (g)nats.
    Rick

Looking around my own community, in a population of about 100, I’m wondering how bad the economic effects of this virus episode will really be. Two people are on job keeper, and will shortly be back to work. Two tourism type businesses are closed, but both the principal operators have other strings to their bows, and the labour they employ is mainly folk from here who part time on an irregular basis and also have other incomes. Everyone else has done what they usually do right through.. the livestock agent, the woman who runs the fertiliser factory office, the hospital kitchen worker, the butcher’s apprentice, the painter, the nurse, the physiotherapist, two builders, the people who work at the farm supplies business, and so on and so forth. This led one of the youngish builders to inform the tourist operator “its only the imaginary jobs that have been affected”, which I thought was a bit cheeky, and knowing the two people concerned, entirely appropriate.
    Our nearest major centre, which is not much of a tourist town, also appears to have been open for business apart from cafes and pubs, though one pub has done takeaway meals right through. There must though be many commuter residents in that town who are affected. Tassie’s dependence on tourism should make it a basket case. It’s not all that obvious yet though. Looks like our own income will about halve for at least 12 months, since it is nearly all derived from company distributions. Probably should sell the $2000 steer we’re about to eat, and eat wallaby instead.

Bass Coast/Phiilip Island/Penguin parade/koala reserve/Churchil Island Farm/Race Circuit are just a few of the attractions that are closed orbadly effected by the virus, and all the cafe's and other smaller attractions along the way are mostly closed, and many will not reopen. Then there's the flourishing theatre and live music venues, it'll be a culturally and financially poorer society that emerges.

Why do you think ‘many will not reopen’, Jeff, is that because they were marginal anyway?

I've been wondering the same thing. There's a lot of construction going on here in Newcastle. The council is using the time to get a lot of roadworks done in otherwise busy areas. A lot of pubs and restaurants are doing renovations. A lot of cafes are open and busy with takeaways. Of course there must be piles of pain all around too - there are many restaurants that are just closed and we read that unemployment and business closures are through the roof. But I do wonder if the actual impact will be as severe as predicted. Maybe I just have too much faith in regression!

The other thing I wonder about, that I ought to know the answer to, but don't, is this. Every developed country has gone into massive debt to deal with this crisis. Who is it owed to? Why can't all the countries simply agree to balance out the debt? Okay, maybe I shouldn't have gone surfing instead of attending Economics 101 but is it such a dumb question? I do think I know the answer but I don't actually know the answer ....
    Last edited by RFNK; 05-14-2020 at 06:28 PM.
    Rick

The cafe around the corner is allowing people to sit at outside tables this morning so I'm off! To walk the dogs and enjoy a coffee, unless it's crowded .....
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    Why do you think ‘many will not reopen’, Jeff, is that because they were marginal anyway?
    Local hardware, been there 60 years but under different managments gone yesterday, justas 40 houses are being built in the area and more to come. Their business dried up as a lot was passing trade, and then the lease came up again.
    Our cafe's and Greek food venue will likely survive but in the regional Gippsland towns and on Phillip Island likely not so much as their rentare higher and the end of the financial year approaches.

All the hardware stores around here have been really busy due to everyone being at home. But Bunnings decimated Australia's hardware stores already so there are few now anyway.
    Rick

Apparently we owe the money to people buy government bonds. I don't know who they are. Probably superannuation funds. So us.

I wonder how many foreign banks etc. buy Aus gov bonds?

Mr Young's book arrived today. Looks good - quite a tome! On the end of a three book queue so no embarrassing info about young Phil yet!
    Rick