Page 781 of 814 FirstFirst ... 281681731771780781782791 ... LastLast
Results 27,301 to 27,335 of 28483

Thread: Oz Politics.

Someone else might come along to fly the planes when they can be flown again.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Oz Politics.

Privatising fundamental services was always a stupid idea.

Rick

There's always this sneaky little cynical part of me that just won't go away. The country, and the governments state and federal have done a brilliant job flattening the curve. Way up amongst world best. But there's a few little missteps. Keep the schools open do people can go to work. Not for the good of the people but for the good of big business. I saw the CMO quoted this morning saying something about "if there is transmission between children". What? Of course there is. What's that about? It's about cowtowing to the far right who want the factories open asap. And stand downs. Highly encouraged. No redundancy. No leave layout. No income. How do families survive? Can you even apply for the dole if you are still on the books? Maybe, I don't know.

It seems that commercial newsroom are having budget problems beause of the loss of advertising generally. They want a subsidy bas well.

Haven't seen any reports at all of the Easter road toll. Usually front page Tuesday. Surely it's well down?

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    It seems that commercial newsroom are having budget problems beause of the loss of advertising generally. They want a subsidy bas well.
    Bugger them, tell Murdoch to pay for it.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Albanese wants an equity injection for Virgin.
    Since the company is basically worth nothing at the moment, this would wipe out existing equity holders. Lenders to Virgin would also need to take a haircut (since their loans have no value at present.) But the lenders will hang out for some sort of deal which leaves them something.
    probably cheaper to start a new airline when itís needed. Maybe call it Town Bike.

And here is a Canadian perspective about neighbourhood disputes.

A similar narrative to something I have discussed passionately with friends for years , the possibility of an armed conflict with China resulting in medical supplies including all other goods being cut of.

BEC06088-4C93-43D2-B511-66A3EC1B90DA.jpg

Possibly less attractive but more inviting?

Up until a few months ago, we couldn't afford to knock back a single coalmine or meet the costs of a decent public school system. Now, all of a sudden we can afford anything - buying airlines, expanding hospitals, bailing out tattoo parlours, etc. etc., etc.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Possibly less attractive but more inviting?

Up until a few months ago, we couldn't afford to knock back a single coalmine or meet the costs of a decent public school system. Now, all of a sudden we can afford anything - buying airlines, expanding hospitals, bailing out tattoo parlours, etc. etc., etc.

Rick
    Almost reminds me of someone throwing a massive week long party knowing full well he’ll be declaring bankruptcy the following week.

I would not rule out a complete global financial reset in the foreseeable future.

Also has anyone noticed but cash is already being eliminated as we speak, with Coles and Woolies spearheading that campaign .

Yep. I took $200 out of the ATM a month ago and couldn't spend it until I got a load of firewood on Saturday.

Rick

"I would not rule out a complete global financial reset in the foreseeable future."

I think that it is under way already.

So, NZ has more cases per million than we do. We're doing a little more testing per million. Their death rate per million is the same as ours. I wonder if it will stay that way? I noticed that NZ's case numbers were accelerating fairly quickly before Easter. Apparently NZ's aim is not to flatten their curve but to eradicate the virus completely by starving it of victims. I'm wondering why we couldn't do the same. If we really could identify every case - there aren't really that many here, and truly isolate all contacts, then I don't see why we couldn't eradicate it and lift the lockdown. All we'd have to do then is keep the border closed until we can filter it through better testing. I wonder if that's feasible?

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 04-14-2020 at 03:11 AM.

"I would not rule out a complete global financial reset in the foreseeable future."

I think that it is under way already.
    Can you elaborate on that.

Rick The problem in eradicating the virus appears to be the Asymptomatic cases which estimates put at 1 in 4.
    Despite our encouraging figures in Queensland we have 38 non traceable infections.

So, NZ has more cases per million than we do. We're doing a little more testing per million. Their death rate per million is the same as ours. I wonder if it will stay that way? I noticed that NZ's case numbers were accelerating fairly quickly before Easter. Apparently NZ's aim is not to flatten their curve but to eradicate the virus completely by starving it of victims. I'm wondering why we couldn't do the same. If we really could identify every case - there aren't really that many here, and truly isolate all contacts, then I don't see why we couldn't eradicate it and lift the lockdown. All we'd have to do then is keep the border closed until we can filter it through better testing. I wonder if that's feasible?

Rick
    Theoretically NZ with its greater shutdown has a better chance of elimination than Oz. It’s an ambitious target to state out loud though. As shown in NW tas, how quickly a large cluster can grow. I called my 78 year old brother who lives up there the other day. He said ‘i’ve Just come back from having my hair cut in Burnie.’ I said ‘you idiot’.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post

Rick The problem in eradicating the virus appears to be the Asymptomatic cases which estimates put at 1 in 4.
    Despite our encouraging figures in Queensland we have 38 non traceable infections.
    Oh, I don't even know if it's possible! I do know it's what NZ is trying to do, and I know our cases/million are fewer than theirs now. So, yes, in theory, if they can do it, we ought to be able to as well, and, if possible, I think we should try. I'm guessing.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post

I think that we are not being realistic about the world wide effects of the virus on our economies and communities. I do think that most competent governments have a handle on how bad it could get, and they won't tell us that for very good reasons. International trade as well as travel, the food supply chain re out of season imports, the supply of industrial goods and parts mayy well spark a new repair industry, except that most appliances are not designed to be repaired, only thrown away. As for a national coping strategy, that is likely a seat of the pants affair to a large extent. An international one is going to be pie in the sky, but much may depend on the US Presidential elections, a very uncertain affair given the state of their electoral arrangements. The last people to ask are economists, it's interesting to collate predictions year to year from a range of them (it's been done) and it's pretty obvious that whatever it is it's not a science.
    Here's a bit of reading Tom, but there's plenty of other 'opinion' to be had as I said above, at times, moth to month, the same economist can give conflicting advice.
    https://prospect.org/economy/how-fin...na-depression/
    Last edited by skuthorp; 04-14-2020 at 05:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    There's always this sneaky little cynical part of me that just won't go away. The country, and the governments state and federal have done a brilliant job flattening the curve. Way up amongst world best. But there's a few little missteps. Keep the schools open do people can go to work. Not for the good of the people but for the good of big business. I saw the CMO quoted this morning saying something about "if there is transmission between children". What? Of course there is. What's that about? It's about cowtowing to the far right who want the factories open asap. And stand downs. Highly encouraged. No redundancy. No leave layout. No income. How do families survive? Can you even apply for the dole if you are still on the books? Maybe, I don't know.

Most of the schools open have only a few students at the school, the rest including the teachers are at home and they are all on zoom or similar. Where I work the parents voted with their feet pulling most of their kids out before the school officially moved lessons on line
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

There are quite a few kids who are better off and safer at school than at home, regardless of the motives behind keeping the schools open. If I were still running schools, I'd keep them open for those kids, and implement a safe regime at school. There would have to be virus monitoring in place.

Rick

There are quite a few kids who are better off and safer at school than at home, regardless of the motives behind keeping the schools open. If I were still running schools, I'd keep them open for those kids, and implement a safe regime at school. There would have to be virus monitoring in place.

Rick
    You must be running South Australian schools then. Good job.

NSW gov is keeping schools open but urging parents to keep kids home if they can. I think it's a good approach in the circumstances. But they're on holidays for two weeks now anyway. Morrison's on the news this morning urging schools to open. Obviously feeling the economic pressure but I think it'll bite him if he keeps it up. Feds fund private schools but otherwise have no real responsibility for the running of schools and the economic imperative won't wash in the current climate.

Rick

And some more bad news out of the arts industry. The Melbourne Symphony Orchestra is standing down all of its musicians because of the impact of the coronavirus crisis.
    It has also stood down 12 administrative team members. In a statement, the MSO said remaining essential workers would take a 20% salary cut.

I wonder what ‘essential workers’ a symphony orchestra has, that doesn’t have a symphony orchestra.

Whatever comes out of this, 2019 was the best year any of us are likely to see.

Pessimist.
    I intend to have an excellent year, if this virus doesn’t bugger me up.

Just don't go to any dinner parties with all your medical mates.

Rick

It wasn’t the gathering as such, it was the menu. Pangolin.

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    It wasn’t the gathering as such, it was the menu. Pangolin.
    The staff from the hospital in Burnie were eating pangolin? Now, that IS a surprise!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-...break/12146132

Rick

Whatever comes out of this, 2019 was the best year any of us are likely to see.
    Ummm, 2019, you sure about that? I seem to remember a drought and around 6 months of stress.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Ummm, 2019, you sure about that? I seem to remember a drought and around 6 months of stress.
    I seem to remember there were some bushfires too and the worst government we've ever seen in Australia doing SFA about either the drought, climate change, the fires or anything else! I actually can't remember a worse year than 2019! 2020 still to go, of course!

Rick

Smedhurst and the media raids. HC says the information was obtained 'unlawfully', but it still remains in the custody of the Blackshirts just in case she is charged. But she hasn't been and likely won't be, and that's because of what she knows about attempts to allow the Signals Directorate to operate domestically. And not charging her means that the threat remains over all journalists writing similar articles.

On radio ths morning I hear industry saying that as a result of the coming 3% drop in world economic activity globalisation is virtually dead, on-shore manufacturing will restart (pity about the car industry, not only for the cars, but for the engineering capacities). Now about that fuel storage and refining capacity…………….

I seem to remember there were some bushfires too and the worst government we've ever seen in Australia doing SFA about either the drought, climate change, the fires or anything else! I actually can't remember a worse year than 2019! 2020 still to go, of course!

Rick
    That little microscopic bit of DNA and RNA has completely changed my plans for the year. Fingers are stilled crossed for the WA trip but that is going to depend on whether Virgin still exists as a viable airline.

Rick
    The private school where i work is open for students who for whatever reason can't stay at home. We have about 60 out of 900 here.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

I got a load of wood, but it’s raining now so i’m settling in by the fire. I just got back in to hear a discussion about banning conspiracy theories (like the 5g connection) etc. it’s mad to do this, it confirms that something is being hidden in the minds of those disposed to believe it. And quite apart from off the wall theories, back in the day they’d have been shouting to have Galileo banned off Facebook.

It's a ridiculous discussion! How could conspiracy theories ever be banned? For a start, all religions would have to be banned, all political advertising would have to be banned .... hmm, an admirable goal but it ain't ever gonna happen, and nor should it, really. But a concerted effort on the part of all media to debunk harmful nonsense loudly and clearly would be welcome!!

Rick