Page 780 of 814 FirstFirst ... 280680730770779780781790 ... LastLast
Results 27,266 to 27,300 of 28474

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

The UK's worst day so far has taken its coronavirus death toll above 7,000, New York's Mayor has warned hundreds of deaths a day are going uncounted
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

I was a little shocked at NZs homeless numbers, and wonder if that might account for the apparent higher rate of illness there.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

In other news, I heard on the radio that our local Catholic schools, God bless their caring Christian hearts, have moved quickly to advise staff of possible stand downs with kids learning at home. Never mind addressing the extra workload on teachers. Never mind that some of the kids in these schools are from quite disadvantaged families band might not be getting a decent daily feed. Shut down the canteen, stand down the teachers aids or whatever they are called now. Save a dollar and bugger the community. Catholics.

It's not just Catholics. Church schools have a lousy record when it comes to issues like student welfare, support for children with disabilities, or learning or behavioural issues, and discrimination generally.

Rick

See, I told you the ABC is no good. 7.30 is taking the p1ss out of us armchair epidemiologists. What’s the point of holing up at home if you can’t be an armchair expert?

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Re St Vinnies contributing funds for Pell's legal fund, I very much doubt it! Many catholics have walked out of the brick and bluestone buildings yet remain with St Vinnies! If they heard St Vinnies money was going to Pell's legal fees it may well cause a walkout! Do you have a link giving info?

PS while I abhor the whole Pell and associated travisty, the work of St Vinnies is strategic in delivering real outcomes addressing many aspects of social injustice in the community and the ordinary folk who do the work are what makes Australia what it is along with the Skih volunteers and Gopal's restaurant that used to be in Swanston St. and all the other like volunteer groups.

At this time a lot of people are going to need the service St Vinnies provides. Can you name one such service? I do note they don't advertise their "do gooding like the salvos, nor are they the recipient of large grants from the Govt to do what they do ( with strings attached to relieve the govt of its responsibility )
    Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Re financing Pell's legal costs:
    https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/nati...-fund-defence/
    Sorry Hallam, I can't see the justification of any op shop, irrespective of their bona fides, being open at this stage. The greatly reduced number of punters out and about surely means that the returns are not worth the risk. For sure there's going to be a greater call on the charitable services they provide, however putting volunteers on the front line to fund it seems a bent form of altruism.

My cynicism re the disposition of Catholic collected funds primarily stems from reading Santamaria's letters...Caritas' "Project Compassion" money going to fund S.E. Asian political groups etc. If I've unjustly tarred Vinnies with the same brush then I apologise, but I do hope the governance of their stores has been tightened up over the last decade.

Cheers, Hans

Think of all the problem gamblers that use to spend their money at the footy clubs and RSL..

Cheers Hans, I ave to admit i'm no expert and the Santamaria's letters are news to me. I have a whole lot of suspicions re Santamaria, the anti communist political agenda of the time and the documents the CIA has made public referring to their deliberate strategy of co opting elements of various religious denominations to promote support for American foreign policy. To be Catholic became synonymous with anti communism amongst conservative Catholics, and at the same time you had the Catholic Worker movement in the US who where the anti war non violent protesters and the Catholic Australian Labour movement and of course the DLP.
    Now with Pell being very much a re enforcer of the conservative political agenda in cahoots with Howard and Abbot and one of his most outspoken supporters in the USA, George Weigel ( who wrote the Autobiography of Pope John Paul 11 ) who also was a signatory to the neo con think tank Project for a New American Century's statement of aims and principals that led to the Iraq invasion, I'm thinking the same Santamaria dynamic is playing out again and this would explain the virilent and at times hysterical support Pell has been able to obtain.
    There is a very real possibility that the sickness of the whole situation is profoundly disturbing on an international scale and F'd up Politics is as much at play as F'd up religion is. The voting public and the everyday catholic being pawns in the powerplay of those men.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

While we're on matters catlick, I'll chuck in a positive note. I spent most of yesterday in St Vincents hospital being looked after by the most professional, friendly, engaging, confidence inspiring crew I've come across in ages. Be nice if those qualities could filter upwards.

Whatever ails you HS, get well.

I've been very surprised at how much behaviour change has been achieved around corona. And the economic price we have been prepared to pay. Too lazy to find the numbers. But in terms of the trade-off between The Economy and lives, what could we achieve in terms of the road toll, obesity related death, smoking, poverty related death, closing the gap, all the premature and unnecessary death we just accept as part of the way society is.

I agree with some caveats. We've a sad history of passing problems on to future generations and the real economic cost of this crisis will be no exception.

Hope you get well soon Hans!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I agree with some caveats. We've a sad history of passing problems on to future generations and the real economic cost of this crisis will be no exception.

Hope you get well soon Hans!

Rick
    Yeah I'm surprised there's not been more pushback from the millennials. They've lost their jobs making smashed avo sangers so that boomers don't get a sniffle.

The milennials are not used to being organised, and aren't used to not getting stuff handed to them on a plate (that is if you don't count FB of course). And their fall back position, parents, has been jerked out from under them. In the long run it might do them some good. As the Redgum song said, "If you don't fight you lose", and they may now have to fight the casualisation, short term contract and gig economy battles for themselves.

Thanks Phil, thanks Rick Woz just undergoing more effing tests to determine the effing root cause of the effing little stroke I had last effing November...Cheers, Hans.

We've a sad history of passing problems on to future generations and the real economic cost of this crisis will be no exception.
    The way I see it, the present generation of milennials will be paying back the $1500.00 /fn pay packet as soon as they get back to work. From some of the commentators, the next 10 years or so - not generations.

But thay may have to get real jobs first.

Sorry to hear about your health problems Hans, Let's hope they get to the bottom of it soon.

Does anyone remember the pseudo security measures for the nations fuel supplies? Over half of our reserve is resident in the United States, available at 35 days notice if I remember.
    Well, with the world in turmoil, and shipping somewhat truncated and donald on the throne, 35 days? And for that matter with the trade in oil on the rocks because of an oil war between Russia and America, is our normal supply guaranteed?

Yeah good oh, lets start hoarding petrol, you know, just in case.

There's an article in the what passes for the serious paper Phil……..

Hallam #27273

I remember Bob Santamaria, Catholic Action, the preaching anti Labour from the pulpit, the games he and Frank Knophelmaker played and the complicity and lies of the Herald and Weekly Times group. I remember all that very well. But from one side and a young and hot headed one at that.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 04-10-2020 at 04:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Yeah I'm surprised there's not been more pushback from the millennials.

My observation is while the Federal Government is dropping Helicopter money to all ages most appears quite content.
    Lets hope I’m wrong but not just millennials will be required to pay the tab.

We had a pleasant lunch with our sons today at which time we tried to work out how much one trillion of debt would cost each Australian unfortunately calculators are unable to calculate those numbers.

Both boys are working Aaron at KPMG and Tristan at Woolies .Both boys have large saving accounts with our oldest living in his own unit and recently opening an index account with plans to contribute an additional $50000 during the bear market lows , so far he is doing better than our superannuation. Needless to say we have some lively financial discussions.

Our youngest is looking at buying realestate once prices drop, we may also look at that option again as I have grave concerns regarding our monetary system.

Good luck with your tests Hans
    Last edited by auscruisertom; 04-10-2020 at 05:29 AM.

An Australian working in a New Orleans hospital...scary.
    "I've been taking care of patients who are in their late 20s and they've died," she said.
    "And patients, elderly patients, patients my parents' age that haven't made it, patients that are my age that haven't made it."
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-...tspot/12141170

Thanks Jeff, thanks Tom...all's good atm.

[QUOTE=

I remember Bob Santamaria, Catholic Action, the preaching anti Labour from the pulpit, the games he and Frank Knophelmaker played and the complicity and lies of the Herald and Weekly Times group. I remember all that very well. But from one side and a young and hot headed one at that.[/QUOTE]

...and Frank Packer giving Santamaria air-time free for his Sunday "Point of View" bile, doubtless those DLP "Communism Kills" ads on the telly enjoyed similar backing. Here's one from the Herald by one of its hardliners, E.W. Tipping. How little has changed!

EWP.jpg

Funny how Murdoch became a much more monstrous version of Packer. Who'd have thought that was even possible?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Funny how Murdoch became a much more monstrous version of Packer. Who'd have thought that was even possible?

Rick
    and in all cases, follow the money…….

And what of the LibNat right? I don't think I've heard a peep, or maybe the media have sidelined them as irelevant now. And our would be PM Dutton, I only heard of him when he caught the virus. But I see that Gina and an ex Abbott goon are attempting to sabotage our Super scheme.

Why are they called `the right' when they're always so wrong?

Rick

And why are the other side called the left when they are still here?

Very good point! We should rename the `left', the `right', and the `right, the `wrong'. That would be much clearer and then there'd be no more arguments, except tedious ones over grammar, in the short term, e.g., `Vote wrong!' really looks like it should be `Vote wrongly!'. In time, people would accept it though, as many follow that advice already.

Rick

....... and the Greens? .....so inexperienced?
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

The greens approximate the left, the other parties titles are false advertising, but then we knew that eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    ....... and the Greens? .....so inexperienced?
    The Greens are the left except they haven't (as Phil pointed out), so they would have to be renamed `the right'. In which case they would all leave, and need to be renamed `the left'. You see, it all works beautifully!

Rick

whos on first youtube

Alarm bells are ringing tonight with the news the government is debating the airlines. Quantas has asked the government for 4.2 Billion while Virgin is asking for 1.4 Billion.

Surly taxpayers money is not being considered being handed to Virgin Airline that lost 1.3 billion the last two years and has only shown meagre profits in 2010 and 2012 during the last decade.

Or the equally. nightmarish scenario of Nationalising Virgin which also includes Tiger in order to keep air travel competitive and save jobs.

And let’s face it there is limited value in Virgin as all planes are leased in US dollars similar hedging with fuel which has compromised their financial position, and no one will be able to pick it up at 10 cents to the dollar since Richard Branson still owns a 10% stake.