Page 772 of 799 FirstFirst ... 272672722762771772773782 ... LastLast
Results 26,986 to 27,020 of 27946

Thread: Oz Politics.

  1. #26986
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    60,606

    Default Re: Oz Politics.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    Sydney is crawling with spies. Making China her biggest trading partner has enriched the country but has turned it into the new Berlin.

    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKCN20I1CY
    Not news SB, one of my nephews owns a student rooming house, until the virus nearly all Chinese, he even learened tospeak mandarin. With each new intake he knows there's at least one 'spy' in the bunch, and announces such to the group. Your article was, I think, published here some months ago and was the subject of a TV expose.

  2. #26987
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Tassie
    Posts
    3,243

    Default Re: Oz Politics.

    Tassie is at a very interesting inflection point. We’ve just had two cases with unexplained origins (the first such). Two teams trying to find and isolate all contacts, who should basically be kind of isolated anyway.
    There’s a tiny chance that they could get right on top of the thing here, but if they did, how would you ever open the borders again, before a vaccine?
    The one good thing here is the collapse of air bnb and housing stock coming back to its proper purpose.

  3. #26988
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    22,041

    Default Re: Oz Politics.

    With you on airBnB - what a disaster that's been for the residents of so many key destinations!

    Rick

  4. #26989
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    31,619

    Default Re: Oz Politics.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Worldwide. Best estimates are 12-18 months to get a vaccine.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    That was my understanding.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  5. #26990
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    22,041

    Default Re: Oz Politics.

    Set this in stone:

    https://www.foxsports.com.au/more-sp...809f06a224b6b1

    Note the source. ABC had it too but, as we know, they can't be trusted.

    Rick

  6. #26991
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    22,041

    Default Re: Oz Politics.

    At the risk of offending some:

    I think it's impossible to make decent coffee at home. Instant coffee is horrible, along with every other method I've tried. Various friends and relatives, even one with a super-expensive thing in his kitchen, have tried and tried harder to convince, but it's all awful. I grew to enjoy Vietnamese coffee while there but really, it doesn't come close to coffee from a good cafe.

    Especially now, and here in Woop Woop, I'd LOVE to be able to make decent coffee instead of the poisonous creosote-like crap I'm currently capable of producing.

    Am I wrong? Please provide evidence if so!!!

    Rick

  7. #26992
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    60,606

    Default Re: Oz Politics.

    We have a small cafe on the corner a short stroll away, now doing good take away business, that makes excellent coffee, bakes their own bread, makes their own cakes, pies etc.
    The owner thinks she has enough business from the locals to stay open, and keep all her staff. There were people waiting outside at 8.30 this morning, and she takes meal orders.

  8. #26993
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    22,041

    Default Re: Oz Politics.

    That's just not helpful. We have cafes within striking doing the same but I expect their other customers don't get roused on at the mere mention of a thought about ducking OUT for a social-distancing-compatible-take-away-coffee.

    Rick

  9. #26994
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,430

    Default

    Boat coffee is always good. I use a plunger and Vittoria espresso. It's not that baby milk coffee drink you get in cafes. It's good coffee.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  10. #26995
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    60,606

    Default Re: Oz Politics.

    We have a small espresso machine of some age and unreliability…………..

  11. #26996
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Tassie
    Posts
    3,243

    Default Re: Oz Politics.

    We avoided the whole pod thing for years after they came in, then one day I was in Woolworths. If you bought 5 packs of Vitoria pods you got the machine for a dollar. This appealed to some long lost Scottish gene, so we have one a day. It seems quite acceptable to me, but you have to remember that my tastes are agricultural. I have this brother who makes a fuss over wine. It all tastes like sh1t to me.

  12. #26997
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    31,619

    Default Re: Oz Politics.

    Well you know how copper wire was invented eh?
    Two Scotsmen fighting over a penny.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  13. #26998
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    22,041

    Default Re: Oz Politics.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Boat coffee is always good. I use a plunger and Vittoria espresso. It's not that baby milk coffee drink you get in cafes. It's good coffee.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    No, boat coffee is invariably terrible.

    Rick

  14. #26999
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    22,041

    Default Re: Oz Politics.

    Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    We avoided the whole pod thing for years after they came in, then one day I was in Woolworths. If you bought 5 packs of Vitoria pods you got the machine for a dollar. This appealed to some long lost Scottish gene, so we have one a day. It seems quite acceptable to me, but you have to remember that my tastes are agricultural. I have this brother who makes a fuss over wine. It all tastes like sh1t to me.
    I have a neighbour who used to try to poison me with those things. Some, admittedly, were better than others but still not close to my preferred 'baby milk coffee (presumably)".

    Rick

  15. #27000
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Tassie
    Posts
    3,243

    Default Re: Oz Politics.

    Who’s grumpy now? Mr Coffee Onan.

  16. #27001
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia
    Posts
    4,697

    Default Re: Oz Politics.

    Coffee - ahh.

    I work with a proper coffee nut. He went to Italy just to do a tour of the coffee machine museums - the coffee machine manufacturers all have museums attached - and there's multiple!! He also restores antique machines, he does things like 3D draws in CAD the original labels or missing parts, and then 3D prints them at home. Spends proper money on having parts re-chromed..... He finds them all over the world.

    I recently got a decent coffee machine with a proper grinder.
    But - the freshness of the beans REALLY matters.
    My coffee nut colleague made up his own roaster using steel tube, a windscreen wiper motor and a little gas burner. Apparently, first crack, turn off the heat, last crack - empty the chamber out. Each Sunday he roasts just enough beans to get through the week. Any older and its no good. There's a supplier of raw beans in Melbourne.

    I just bought two bags of Vittoria beans cause they were on sale. Can't get a good coffee out of them. I was using beans from a local Sydney supplier, much fresher and thus MUCH better coffee.


    in conclusion;
    Good equipment is a good.
    Fresh beans is the kicker.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

  17. #27002
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia
    Posts
    4,697

    Default Re: Oz Politics.

    FWIW - I'm behind Scotty from marketing.
    I won't vote for him, but i'm sure he's doing the best job he can. He's no genius, and we could be in better hands right now, but he's not Trump or Bolsanaro (who would have thought!).

    Imagine if Dutton was in charge right now. The Sudanese would be swinging from lamp posts......
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

  18. #27003
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Tassie
    Posts
    3,243

    Default Re: Oz Politics.

    I just made a really nice cup of instant Nescafe

  19. #27004
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,430

    Default

    I don't really do cafes at all, but Felicity has a favourite, they roast their own beans.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  20. #27005
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    I just made a really nice cup of instant Nescafe
    What's that got to do with coffee?

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  21. #27006
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    FWIW - I'm behind Scotty from marketing.
    I won't vote for him, but i'm sure he's doing the best job he can. He's no genius, and we could be in better hands right now, but he's not Trump or Bolsanaro (who would have thought!).

    Imagine if Dutton was in charge right now. The Sudanese would be swinging from lamp posts......
    I think we all agree on that. Not only the best job he can, which is kind of damming with faint praise, but actually quite a decent job.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

  22. #27007
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia
    Posts
    4,697

    Default Re: Oz Politics.

    ^ True
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

  23. #27008
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Tassie
    Posts
    3,243

    Default Re: Oz Politics.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    What's that got to do with coffee?

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    Nothing, just sayin’.

  24. #27009
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    22,041

    Default Re: Oz Politics.

    Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    Who’s grumpy now? Mr Coffee Onan.
    Not grumpy, just longing.

    Rick

  25. #27010
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    22,041

    Default Re: Oz Politics.

    Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Coffee - ahh.

    I work with a proper coffee nut. He went to Italy just to do a tour of the coffee machine museums - the coffee machine manufacturers all have museums attached - and there's multiple!! He also restores antique machines, he does things like 3D draws in CAD the original labels or missing parts, and then 3D prints them at home. Spends proper money on having parts re-chromed..... He finds them all over the world.

    I recently got a decent coffee machine with a proper grinder.
    But - the freshness of the beans REALLY matters.
    My coffee nut colleague made up his own roaster using steel tube, a windscreen wiper motor and a little gas burner. Apparently, first crack, turn off the heat, last crack - empty the chamber out. Each Sunday he roasts just enough beans to get through the week. Any older and its no good. There's a supplier of raw beans in Melbourne.

    I just bought two bags of Vittoria beans cause they were on sale. Can't get a good coffee out of them. I was using beans from a local Sydney supplier, much fresher and thus MUCH better coffee.


    in conclusion;
    Good equipment is a good.
    Fresh beans is the kicker.
    Hmm, there's a coffee roaster - Ethica - right here in Lemon Tree. Maybe I'll try some fresh beans in our ANTIQUE coffee maker (that I can't remember the name of) (but will in time .... Atomic!). Thanks!

    Rick

  26. #27011
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    22,041

    Default Re: Oz Politics.

    Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    FWIW - I'm behind Scotty from marketing.
    I won't vote for him, but i'm sure he's doing the best job he can. He's no genius, and we could be in better hands right now, but he's not Trump or Bolsanaro (who would have thought!).

    Imagine if Dutton was in charge right now. The Sudanese would be swinging from lamp posts......
    No, at least he's not one of them.

    Rick

  27. #27012
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    22,041

    Default Re: Oz Politics.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I think we all agree on that. Not only the best job he can, which is kind of damming with faint praise, but actually quite a decent job.

    Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    Like praising the Punch puppet. I can't stand him. Anyone in that role right now would be doing the same in Australia. I'd like to see him get right out of the way and put the people who actually know something about CV and economics do the talking instead of all the pretending.

    Rick

    PS Maybe that's grumpy. I just can't stand frauds.

  28. #27013
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    22,041

    Default Re: Oz Politics.

    Gypsie, if you see your work colleague, would you ask him if it's possible to make good coffee with an Atomic, please? And if he says it is, please ask him how!

    But if he says it's only possible if you get fresh beans from the sh .... umm, scat, of a civet cat or something, please hit him with something for me!

    Rick

  29. #27014
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    22,041

    Default Re: Oz Politics.

    This morning we did the Houseparty videoconferencing thing. I thought it would be nice to take the phone outside for that. So, it started, we all said hello etc. and then someone started complaining about all the background squeaking noises. And it turned out that it was all the birds because I was outside. So then I had to relocate and I swapped the phone for the laptop, and everyone seemed happy with it then. I didn't really like the whole thing much, probably because my hearing is so hopeless. Next week I'll try it with headphones.

    Rick

  30. #27015
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,430

    Default Re: Oz Politics.

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Like praising the Punch puppet. I can't stand him. Anyone in that role right now would be doing the same in Australia. I'd like to see him get right out of the way and put the people who actually know something about CV and economics do the talking instead of all the pretending.

    Rick

    PS Maybe that's grumpy. I just can't stand frauds.
    Actually Im not so sure. I really cant see Abbott doubling the unemployment benefit in a screaming fit.

  31. #27016
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    21,430

    Default Re: Oz Politics.

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    This morning we did the Houseparty videoconferencing thing. I thought it would be nice to take the phone outside for that. So, it started, we all said hello etc. and then someone started complaining about all the background squeaking noises. And it turned out that it was all the birds because I was outside. So then I had to relocate and I swapped the phone for the laptop, and everyone seemed happy with it then. I didn't really like the whole thing much, probably because my hearing is so hopeless. Next week I'll try it with headphones.

    Rick
    Like I said, videoconferencing is just awful

  32. #27017
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    22,041

    Default Re: Oz Politics.

    Okay, how about all these cruise ship crews that the Australian government has sent back out to sea, knowing that there is virus on board? It's hardly a model of international cooperation! The crews want to fly home but the Australians won't let them. They can't just leave as they can't stop on the way back to the USA and they'll be too far from medical help if they get too sick along the way. I don't see why the crews can't be safely disembarked and quarantined here, then flown home. Isn't that what international maritime agreements are all about? At present, they're just drifting off the coast waiting to get sick. When they get sick, they get picked up and brought ashore anyway. I think it's inhumane and stupid.

    Rick

  33. #27018
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    22,041

    Default Re: Oz Politics.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Actually Im not so sure. I really cant see Abbott doubling the unemployment benefit in a screaming fit.
    Of course you might be right but I think Abbott and Morrison are very similar people and he'd have had no choice.

    Rick

  34. #27019
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    31,619

    Default Re: Oz Politics.

    I think Qantas wanting 4 billion plus bailout after causing the Adelaide infection of baggage handlers is a bit rich. A some weeks back they laid off a cleaner because the person raised concern over how an aircraft from China had been cleaned.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

  35. #27020
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    31,619

    Default Re: Oz Politics.

    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-...epted/12085908
    So dodgy face masks from China now.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •