Page 772 of 799 FirstFirst ... 272672722762771772773782 ... LastLast
Results 26,986 to 27,020 of 27946

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    Sydney is crawling with spies. Making China her biggest trading partner has enriched the country but has turned it into the new Berlin.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKCN20I1CY
    Not news SB, one of my nephews owns a student rooming house, until the virus nearly all Chinese, he even learened tospeak mandarin. With each new intake he knows there's at least one 'spy' in the bunch, and announces such to the group. Your article was, I think, published here some months ago and was the subject of a TV expose.

Tassie is at a very interesting inflection point. We’ve just had two cases with unexplained origins (the first such). Two teams trying to find and isolate all contacts, who should basically be kind of isolated anyway.
    There’s a tiny chance that they could get right on top of the thing here, but if they did, how would you ever open the borders again, before a vaccine?
    The one good thing here is the collapse of air bnb and housing stock coming back to its proper purpose.

With you on airBnB - what a disaster that's been for the residents of so many key destinations!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Worldwide. Best estimates are 12-18 months to get a vaccine.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    That was my understanding.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Set this in stone:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/more-sp...809f06a224b6b1

Note the source. ABC had it too but, as we know, they can't be trusted.

Rick

At the risk of offending some:

I think it's impossible to make decent coffee at home. Instant coffee is horrible, along with every other method I've tried. Various friends and relatives, even one with a super-expensive thing in his kitchen, have tried and tried harder to convince, but it's all awful. I grew to enjoy Vietnamese coffee while there but really, it doesn't come close to coffee from a good cafe.

Especially now, and here in Woop Woop, I'd LOVE to be able to make decent coffee instead of the poisonous creosote-like crap I'm currently capable of producing.

Am I wrong? Please provide evidence if so!!!

Rick

We have a small cafe on the corner a short stroll away, now doing good take away business, that makes excellent coffee, bakes their own bread, makes their own cakes, pies etc.
    The owner thinks she has enough business from the locals to stay open, and keep all her staff. There were people waiting outside at 8.30 this morning, and she takes meal orders.

That's just not helpful. We have cafes within striking doing the same but I expect their other customers don't get roused on at the mere mention of a thought about ducking OUT for a social-distancing-compatible-take-away-coffee.

Rick

Boat coffee is always good. I use a plunger and Vittoria espresso. It's not that baby milk coffee drink you get in cafes. It's good coffee.

We have a small espresso machine of some age and unreliability…………..

We avoided the whole pod thing for years after they came in, then one day I was in Woolworths. If you bought 5 packs of Vitoria pods you got the machine for a dollar. This appealed to some long lost Scottish gene, so we have one a day. It seems quite acceptable to me, but you have to remember that my tastes are agricultural. I have this brother who makes a fuss over wine. It all tastes like sh1t to me.

Well you know how copper wire was invented eh?
    Two Scotsmen fighting over a penny.

Boat coffee is always good. I use a plunger and Vittoria espresso. It's not that baby milk coffee drink you get in cafes. It's good coffee.

No, boat coffee is invariably terrible.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    We avoided the whole pod thing for years after they came in, then one day I was in Woolworths. If you bought 5 packs of Vitoria pods you got the machine for a dollar. This appealed to some long lost Scottish gene, so we have one a day. It seems quite acceptable to me, but you have to remember that my tastes are agricultural. I have this brother who makes a fuss over wine. It all tastes like sh1t to me.
    I have a neighbour who used to try to poison me with those things. Some, admittedly, were better than others but still not close to my preferred 'baby milk coffee (presumably)".

Rick

Who’s grumpy now? Mr Coffee Onan.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Coffee - ahh.

I work with a proper coffee nut. He went to Italy just to do a tour of the coffee machine museums - the coffee machine manufacturers all have museums attached - and there's multiple!! He also restores antique machines, he does things like 3D draws in CAD the original labels or missing parts, and then 3D prints them at home. Spends proper money on having parts re-chromed..... He finds them all over the world.

I recently got a decent coffee machine with a proper grinder.
    But - the freshness of the beans REALLY matters.
    My coffee nut colleague made up his own roaster using steel tube, a windscreen wiper motor and a little gas burner. Apparently, first crack, turn off the heat, last crack - empty the chamber out. Each Sunday he roasts just enough beans to get through the week. Any older and its no good. There's a supplier of raw beans in Melbourne.

I just bought two bags of Vittoria beans cause they were on sale. Can't get a good coffee out of them. I was using beans from a local Sydney supplier, much fresher and thus MUCH better coffee.

in conclusion;
    Good equipment is a good.
    Fresh beans is the kicker.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

FWIW - I'm behind Scotty from marketing.
    I won't vote for him, but i'm sure he's doing the best job he can. He's no genius, and we could be in better hands right now, but he's not Trump or Bolsanaro (who would have thought!).

Imagine if Dutton was in charge right now. The Sudanese would be swinging from lamp posts......

I just made a really nice cup of instant Nescafe

I don't really do cafes at all, but Felicity has a favourite, they roast their own beans.

I just made a really nice cup of instant Nescafe
    What's that got to do with coffee?

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    I won't vote for him, but i'm sure he's doing the best job he can. He's no genius, and we could be in better hands right now, but he's not Trump or Bolsanaro (who would have thought!).

Imagine if Dutton was in charge right now. The Sudanese would be swinging from lamp posts......
    I think we all agree on that. Not only the best job he can, which is kind of damming with faint praise, but actually quite a decent job.

^ True

What's that got to do with coffee?

Nothing, just sayin’.

Who’s grumpy now? Mr Coffee Onan.
    Not grumpy, just longing.

Rick

Coffee - ahh.

I work with a proper coffee nut. He went to Italy just to do a tour of the coffee machine museums - the coffee machine manufacturers all have museums attached - and there's multiple!! He also restores antique machines, he does things like 3D draws in CAD the original labels or missing parts, and then 3D prints them at home. Spends proper money on having parts re-chromed..... He finds them all over the world.

I recently got a decent coffee machine with a proper grinder.
    But - the freshness of the beans REALLY matters.
    My coffee nut colleague made up his own roaster using steel tube, a windscreen wiper motor and a little gas burner. Apparently, first crack, turn off the heat, last crack - empty the chamber out. Each Sunday he roasts just enough beans to get through the week. Any older and its no good. There's a supplier of raw beans in Melbourne.

I just bought two bags of Vittoria beans cause they were on sale. Can't get a good coffee out of them. I was using beans from a local Sydney supplier, much fresher and thus MUCH better coffee.

in conclusion;
    Good equipment is a good.
    Fresh beans is the kicker.
    Hmm, there's a coffee roaster - Ethica - right here in Lemon Tree. Maybe I'll try some fresh beans in our ANTIQUE coffee maker (that I can't remember the name of) (but will in time .... Atomic!). Thanks!

Rick

No, at least he's not one of them.

Rick

I think we all agree on that. Not only the best job he can, which is kind of damming with faint praise, but actually quite a decent job.

Like praising the Punch puppet. I can't stand him. Anyone in that role right now would be doing the same in Australia. I'd like to see him get right out of the way and put the people who actually know something about CV and economics do the talking instead of all the pretending.

Rick

PS Maybe that's grumpy. I just can't stand frauds.

Gypsie, if you see your work colleague, would you ask him if it's possible to make good coffee with an Atomic, please? And if he says it is, please ask him how!

But if he says it's only possible if you get fresh beans from the sh .... umm, scat, of a civet cat or something, please hit him with something for me!

Rick

This morning we did the Houseparty videoconferencing thing. I thought it would be nice to take the phone outside for that. So, it started, we all said hello etc. and then someone started complaining about all the background squeaking noises. And it turned out that it was all the birds because I was outside. So then I had to relocate and I swapped the phone for the laptop, and everyone seemed happy with it then. I didn't really like the whole thing much, probably because my hearing is so hopeless. Next week I'll try it with headphones.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Like praising the Punch puppet. I can't stand him. Anyone in that role right now would be doing the same in Australia. I'd like to see him get right out of the way and put the people who actually know something about CV and economics do the talking instead of all the pretending.

Rick

PS Maybe that's grumpy. I just can't stand frauds.
    Actually Im not so sure. I really cant see Abbott doubling the unemployment benefit in a screaming fit.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    This morning we did the Houseparty videoconferencing thing. I thought it would be nice to take the phone outside for that. So, it started, we all said hello etc. and then someone started complaining about all the background squeaking noises. And it turned out that it was all the birds because I was outside. So then I had to relocate and I swapped the phone for the laptop, and everyone seemed happy with it then. I didn't really like the whole thing much, probably because my hearing is so hopeless. Next week I'll try it with headphones.

Rick
    Like I said, videoconferencing is just awful

Okay, how about all these cruise ship crews that the Australian government has sent back out to sea, knowing that there is virus on board? It's hardly a model of international cooperation! The crews want to fly home but the Australians won't let them. They can't just leave as they can't stop on the way back to the USA and they'll be too far from medical help if they get too sick along the way. I don't see why the crews can't be safely disembarked and quarantined here, then flown home. Isn't that what international maritime agreements are all about? At present, they're just drifting off the coast waiting to get sick. When they get sick, they get picked up and brought ashore anyway. I think it's inhumane and stupid.

Rick

Actually Im not so sure. I really cant see Abbott doubling the unemployment benefit in a screaming fit.
    Of course you might be right but I think Abbott and Morrison are very similar people and he'd have had no choice.

Rick

I think Qantas wanting 4 billion plus bailout after causing the Adelaide infection of baggage handlers is a bit rich. A some weeks back they laid off a cleaner because the person raised concern over how an aircraft from China had been cleaned.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-...epted/12085908
    So dodgy face masks from China now.