Page 769 of 805 FirstFirst ... 269669719759768769770779 ... LastLast
Results 26,881 to 26,915 of 28157

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

got a link to the podcast?

...and Phil, you hit the nail on the head re the data!

I wouldn't be suprised if I have the damm virus. I was very tired on Friday two weeks ago, had an arvo nap and all. Then I've had a niggle in my throat that comes and goes and a tight heavy feeling in my chest. Ive been practicing deep breathing for the last two days. Decided to stay away from work from Monday. Rang the doc yesterday and had an over the phone consultation. She said it might be a cold related thing but i should take every precaution and stay at home which for the past summer months has been the boat. If things take a turn for the worse go to emergency and they will give me a test. So here I am in isolation, can't get a test because i don't fit the criteria and feeling ok if i don't exert myself, apart from the mild symptoms mentioned.
    Totally weird situation!
    Last edited by Hallam; 03-26-2020 at 04:57 AM.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Quote Originally Posted by shamus View Post
    Could it be that we and Brazil have reasonable Vit D levels at the end of summer?
    I just listened to a half hour podcast with Nikki Savva. There may be more in the book. Most of what she said was what I had imagined, but I didnít know that some of Duttonís support went because those people didnít want Abbot in cabinet. She also has a different take on Dutton than the general public seems to have, and one which was new to me. Both she and the interviewer seem to feel that Morrisonís faith is a problem... I have no view on that.
    I canít join in general dislike of Morrison Iím afraid. The upshot of his win was, we didnít get Shorten, we didnít get Dutton, and with Abbot gone,I canít see whatís not to like. Turnbull completely lost me with his tweets since he left. Funny thing is, the really right oriented commentators on certain platforms I survey despise Morrison more than your average lefty.
    It was that interview that prompted me to get the books. The mad right hate Morrison because they all wanted to be little Murdochs and replace Turnbull with one of `their' guys. Nikki Savva reckons their plan was to put Dutton in, let him get thrashed at the election and then reinstall Abbott. As if!

Look, I never wanted to see Shorten as PM. I always saw him as a liability and still can't believe the Labor Party were stupid enough to elect him leader and then keep him on. But to me it isn't, or shouldn't, be about the leader - it should be about the policies of the party. I just hate the idea of Australia moving increasingly towards presidential-style government. On Morrison, my concern with him is that he's the epitome of a hollow man. He has no vision, no idea, no depth - he's all about spin and image and nothing else. The only thing that he can offer is that he isn't Abbott, Turnbull, Dutton or Shorten. He has to be dragged into making any decisions - he's a fraud, a mouthpiece in front of a political party that has no idea.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    got a link to the podcast?

...and Phil, you hit the nail on the head re the data!

I wouldn't be suprised if I have the damm virus. I was very tired on Friday two weeks ago, had an arvo nap and all. Then I've had a niggle in my throat that comes and goes and a tight heavy feeling in my chest. Ive been practicing deep breathing for the last two days. Decided to stay away from work from Monday. Rang the doc yesterday and had an over the phone consultation. She said it might be a cold related thing but i should take every precaution and stay at home which for the past summer months has been the boat. If things take a turn for the worse go to emergency and they will give me a test. So here I am in isolation, can't get a test because i don't fit the criteria and feeling ok if i don't exert myself.
    Totally weird situation!
    Take it easy mate, your stove arrives tomorrow, so they tell me.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Take it easy mate, your stove arrives tomorrow, so they tell me.

It will be good to have a two burner stove so I can exercise my culinary skills! ( bangers and mash!!)
    Last edited by Hallam; 03-26-2020 at 05:12 AM.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

I agree that the government is doing OK given what notice they had, and the standard of poitician concerned. I do think that Shorten might have been a better organised, and his cabinet more qualified.
    But Morrison is growing into the role I think, not so terrified as he was at the start. And he does seem to have taken the advice he was given seriously. There's a long way to go with the pandemic, and then there's the total mess afterwards. It took a war for the world to get properly over 1929, I doubt we can afford one of them. And then there's climate change……….. and I do think that Morrisons particular franchise might be a real stumbling block there.

It will be good to have a two burner stove so I can exercise my culinary skills!
    You will be able to see where the leak is it's a small purple stain. I had planned to strip the chrome off the tank but never got around to it.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I agree that the government is doing OK given what notice they had, and the standard of poitician concerned. I do think that Shorten might have been a better organised, and his cabinet more qualified.
    But Morrison is growing into the role I think, not so terrified as he was at the start. And he does seem to have taken the advice he was given seriously. There's a long way to go with the pandemic, and then there's the total mess afterwards. It took a war for the world to get properly over 1929, I doubt we can afford one of them. And then there's climate change……….. and I do think that Morrisons particular franchise might be a real stumbling block there.
    Growing, like a cancer.

Good luck Hallam, do you perchance get hay fever? I developed it after 50, having had synus problems all my childhood.
    Your symptoms sound like mine if i get a dose of hay fever, but mine come and go in about 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I think if you only test those who are dragged into hospital gasping for breath you will get a fairly high mortality rate. If you test everyone who feels a bit crook and who has been in contact with a known positive, the mortality rate will be lower. If you tested everyone, including those who catch the virus but never feel any symptoms, the mortality rate will be lower still. All the data about this disease is wrong.
    Yep, it's just not systematic enough - yet.

Hallam, a few weeks ago, many of us had fairly brief colds that had symptoms similar to what you're describing. Not a severe cold but a niggling one. A friend of mine that I regularly have coffee with went to the doctor and the doctor put him on antibiotics as a precaution. No CV test as the doc said he didn't fit the profile - whatever that is! I don't think there's much chance that the cold we had is the virus and I'm pretty sure that a lot of the testing that's been done has been on people with colds.

Rick

You will be able to see where the leak is it's a small purple stain. I had planned to strip the chrome off the tank but never got around to it.
    I will fix it when it arrives. I have my soldering iron on board.

...and I don't get hay fever thank goodness. My wife is a health worker and is getting tested on monday. Apparently a million test kits are arriving.

whatever this is, i haven't had it before.

Bruce Cockburn

I will fix it when it arrives. I have my soldering iron on board.

...and I don't get hay fever thank goodness. My wife is a health worker and is getting tested on monday. Apparently a million test kits are arriving.

whatever this is, i haven't had it before.
    My son thinks he may have it.

On the broader effects on the economy. Australia is a very heavily privately mortgaged country, and mostly to banks. That is a very dangerous position to be in with employment disappearing as workplaces close. Some, maybe many will never reopen. If the private mortgage business collapses and people begin to lose their housing then all bets are off.
    (BTW, anyone else up on the history of Jack Lang, the repudiation of debt, and sir Phillip Game who did a 'Kerr' and sacked him under pressure from London?}
    The retail industry is especially vulnerable to such a shock as this. Retailers are closing their doors because there are no customers, Westfields biggest client is questioning whether they'll pay their rent seeing the complex is not attracting customers for them to sell to. Profiteering in food prices has begun, the situation re medical masks and gowns is worsening, the cure may well be as bad as the disease. Real estate is forecasting at least a 20% drop in housing value/prices. Think what that would do to repayments on a big mortgage.

Jeez Hallam I hope you haven’t got it.
    The link to the Savva podcast
    https://abcmedia.akamaized.net/radio...2019-08-12.mp3
    well worth the time I thought.

Rick, as you know, I have nothing against Labor per se, and I would expect they’ll get a go next time. There will be plenty to be criticised about the handling of this crisis in hindsight, just as Rudd copped it for some broad brush actions in the gfc which were no doubt made with the best of intentions. For instance talking to a friend yesterday who is on a pension and the beneficiary of some of the largesse going around, he seemed perplexed as to what to do with it. His wife gets a teacher’s pension, they have more money than you can poke a stick at in terms of the lifestyle they lead, he said he’d give it to charity if he had any faith that it wouldn’t be spent mainly on administration, and he doesn’t know where or how to spend it for the common good at this point in time. Apart from anything else, he doesn’t want any more “stuff”. Can’t spend it on a holiday after the crisis, because he has pretty bad MS and only ever goes away in his campervan where he has quick access to a toilet.

Woolworths are hiring 20,000 supermarket supply chain workers, including as many of the 8,000 wo lost their jobs in another division as wanted to redeploy. Opening hours may be restricted and home deliveries expanded.
    Another round of panic buying is expected as isolation conditions ramp up.
    And so it goes.

And with the failure of Border Farce and the Feds over the liner disembarkation and airport debacle it seems that the State governments are stepping in. Somewhat late, but Dutton has always claimed that border security is his baby.
    Border Farce and biosecuriry are Commonwealth responsibilities and State Premiers cannot direct them to follow any procedures.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 03-26-2020 at 04:15 PM.

Rick, as you know, I have nothing against Labor per se, and I would expect they’ll get a go next time. There will be plenty to be criticised about the handling of this crisis in hindsight, just as Rudd copped it for some broad brush actions in the gfc which were no doubt made with the best of intentions. For instance talking to a friend yesterday who is on a pension and the beneficiary of some of the largesse going around, he seemed perplexed as to what to do with it. His wife gets a teacher’s pension, they have more money than you can poke a stick at in terms of the lifestyle they lead, he said he’d give it to charity if he had any faith that it wouldn’t be spent mainly on administration, and he doesn’t know where or how to spend it for the common good at this point in time. Apart from anything else, he doesn’t want any more “stuff”. Can’t spend it on a holiday after the crisis, because he has pretty bad MS and only ever goes away in his campervan where he has quick access to a toilet.
    Yeah, it can't be easy coming up with stimulus packages that tick every box and don't waste money. Let's hope these current packages can at least soften the blow for those who are hit hardest!

Over the last 2 years, we've been rebuilding our house in Newcastle and, for most of that time, we've had no kitchen. So we've gotten to know a lot of the local cafe and restaurant owners and staff. They're all so nice and helpful! We (meaning not me) have odd dietary preferences and needs, and for all of this year we've had the MIL who's old, frail and has particularly narrow dietary requirements. All the owners and staff have gone right out of their way to accommodate us, change menus, add and subtract ingredients, etc., to be as helpful as possible. And it's a tough road - rents are high, there are many cafes and Newcastle Council and the state government have hit them with years of light rail construction and massive disruption every spring with the idiotic Supercars event - which locks the area down for about 6 weeks a year now. But now, the cafe areas are like post-apocalyptic ghost villages. Many cafes have simply closed while others are providing limited takeaway services. I feel so sorry for them. I can't just keep supporting them because we need to stay isolated to protect T's parents and we can't afford it anyway. Of course there are very many who are in the same boat everywhere but I think about this lot all the time because they're right there in my face, so to speak. I just hope that the governments' packages include these people and amount to enough to keep their businesses alive. I don't know how that might be managed.

I see the hospital staff regularly too because T's dad is still there. They must be really anxious about what's ahead of them. Many of them also have families to protect and they're right on the front line. Around the world, medicos have been hit the hardest.

Rick

Woolworths are hiring 20,000 supermarket supply chain workers, including as many of the 8,000 wo lost their jobs in another division as wanted to redeploy. Opening hours may be restricted and home deliveries expanded.
    Another round of panic buying is expected as isolation conditions ramp up.
    And so it goes.
    This is where I'd wish the stimulus package would go. Instead of just throwing money out there, why not create a team of key business leaders, welfare agencies and relevant government agencies to quickly create a new `economy' based on home-based working and safe industrial practices. Alternatives to retail outlets and supermarkets, delivery and online systems, ways of manufacturing things and educating people and providing real meals that don't rely on aggregating people. And that employ people safely. Of course a lot of this is happening already but I think the government could use the stimulus to ramp it up, massively. Just an idea, not new, and maybe a lot of the stimulus will be used for this anyway - but a sort of war cabinet approach to creating a different way of living and working, based on necessity, rather than ideology.

Rick

Back on the 19th March we had 10 cases in Tasmania. Since then we’ve had another 37. 12 travelled by air from overseas.
    23 came off the ‘effin useless cruise ships (62%). Two were contacts of all these people. When all the cruise ships have finally been unloaded and taken out to sea and sunk, I see some hope of rapid improvement.
    The Tasmanian government has made a mistake with caravanners, I think. Told them all to go home, so they are heading north to get on the Spirit, they would have been better to leave them spaced out in parks around the state, rather than jammed up near Devonport.

Anything we get will go back into the economy fairly quick. Pretty much worked out where it will be spent already.

Government is playing catchup, we all are. To have an effective lockdown requires an alternative supply line involving a rearrangement of the retail food business for a start. All those self-serve facilities replacing staff, useless. Now we go back to the 1950's when I had a Saturday job delivering grocery orders.
    I wonder what retail and the cafe culture will look like at the end of this?

Back on the 19th March we had 10 cases in Tasmania. Since then we’ve had another 37. 12 travelled by air from overseas.
    23 came off the ‘effin useless cruise ships (62%). Two were contacts of all these people. When all the cruise ships have finally been unloaded and taken out to sea and sunk, I see some hope of rapid improvement.
    The Tasmanian government has made a mistake with caravanners, I think. Told them all to go home, so they are heading north to get on the Spirit, they would have been better to leave them spaced out in parks around the state, rather than jammed up near Devonport.
    Yes! But I guess the caravan thing is to try to get them home before the epidemic really kicks in?

About 75% of cases in NSW are people who've come off planes or ships.

Rick

Government is playing catchup, we all are. To have an effective lockdown requires an alternative supply line involving a rearrangement of the retail food business for a start. All those self-serve facilities replacing staff, useless. Now we go back to the 1950's when I had a Saturday job delivering grocery orders.
    I wonder what retail and the cafe culture will look like at the end of this?
    On yer bike then boy!!

Rick

US topping the CV cases table now. And the majority of cases requiring hospitalisation are not older people.

Rick

the government is playing catch-up, we all are
    Yeah

https://www.smh.com.au/national/chin...25-p54du8.html

More looting………………. Usual military penalties should apply………….

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Now we go back to the 1950's when I had a Saturday job delivering grocery orders.
    This could be handy.......

https://dutchcargobike.com.au/produc...ts-cargo-bike/
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

My son thinks he may have it.
    False alarm. Most likely those killer chillies he likes to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    It was similar. Small wheel and smaller wicker basket up front. No gears, fixed wheel and no electric assist.
    Like this more or less...

The semi-lockdown is causing chaos on my head. It's starting to resemble a grass tree because management won't permit a haircut. Ordinarily it's a mess, except for about a week after a haircut, but now it's getting really bad. This is not a complaint, by the way, merely an observation.

Rick

It was similar. Small wheel and smaller wicker basket up front. No gears, fixed wheel and no electric assist.
    Like this more or less...
    Gears are for sissies!

Rick

What think you of Solomon Lew closing down his stores, and telling Westfield that he's not going to pay rent?

Of course if that spreads……….

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Why? Petrol is getting cheap but hardly in short supply. But apparently there is a big run on bikes. Don't really understand why.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

I know that shopping centre rental arrangements are pretty tough on small retailers, so maybe this move might help them. But, I really know very little about it. I'd be more interested in what arrangements are provided for staff involved. I think retail staff generally are very badly off in Australia.

Rick

Hallam, how are you feeling tonight?