Page 758 of 766 FirstFirst ... 258658708748757758759 ... LastLast
Results 26,496 to 26,530 of 26776

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

She seemed a bit overwhelmed.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Shameful treatment of activist Jacinta Price by the left
    CHRIS KENNY

Jacinta Price’s rhetoric clashes ‘with the politically correct lines of the so-called progressive left’. Picture: ABC

• 12:00AM SEPTEMBER 16, 2019

An Aboriginal woman was shouted down at a public speaking event in Brisbane last week because she objects to the “modern construct” of a welcome to country. Just days earlier the same welcome to country “construct” was used to try to ban Jacinta Price’s speaking tour — Mind the Gap — from the NSW coastal town of Coffs Harbour.

The national broadcaster ignored the Brisbane protest and at Coffs Harbour ran vicious attacks on Price while ignoring her side of the debate and denying her a response.

If indigenous disadvantage is our greatest national shame, then the way media handles Aboriginal issues does little to help.

I cut my teeth in reporting indigenous affairs by revealing the fabrication of the Hindmarsh Island so-called secret women’s business in 1995, which is a bit like cutting your teeth as a firefighter on Ash Wednesday. Not to put too fine a point on it, this taught me much and changed my life while also imparting two important lessons about our media.

First, the most dangerous thing you can do in reporting indigenous affairs is shun political posturing and search for the verifiable truth.

Second, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation and myriad other institutions of the left have little interest in the truth when it comes to such matters but, rather,
    place a great deal of store in their political posturing.

Consider the extraordinary treatment handed out to Price, a Warlpiri woman, Alice Springs councillor, Coalition federal candidate and political activist, in Coffs Harbour last week, at the hands of that city’s council, local indigenous groups and the regional ABC radio station. Price’s national speaking tour, subtitled Bridging the Indigenous Divide, had already toured South Australia and Victoria.

Having failed to win the Northern Territory seat of Lingiari for the Coalition at the federal election, Price continues to advocate a message of personal responsibility and practical solutions to indigenous disadvantage, criticising the contemporary focus on symbolic issues such as welcome to country ceremonies and shifting Australia Day.

Her mission is to empower indigenous people and improve their lives but her proposals and rhetoric clash with the politically correct lines of the so-called progressive left.

Incredibly, after booking the local theatre, Price’s tour operators received a letter from Coffs Harbour City Council suggesting she seek permission from local indigenous organisations to speak. Think of the blatant racism (and sexism) at play here. A theatre is booked by an Aboriginal woman to speak and the council says she should seek permission.

When asked to provide examples of any other booking being asked to seek permission, the council said it had “never requested anyone” seek permission to “speak at any public function”. This is dissembling — the council had suggested Price seek permission to “come onto country”.

As this kerfuffle developed, a group of nine local Aboriginal organisations put out a media release revealing they had met with the council to “request that the tour be cancelled at their (council) premises”. The release contained disgusting and highly defamatory descriptions of Price’s aims, advocacy and character.

There are a number of issues at play here. The council was behaving in an appalling manner by imposing hurdles on this particular Aboriginal speaker that, to our knowledge, had not been imposed on anyone else.

Price’s freedom of speech was being threatened. Also, the ugliness of indigenous politics was being played out with the usual nasty attacks coming from overwhelming leftist indigenous groups towards Price, as a right-of-centre indigenous activist.

Whatever was happening here, this was a story. On my television program, The Kenny Report, I interviewed Price and referred to the release from the indigenous groups. I also got comment from the council, which said it was not banning Price but reacting to concerns from local indigenous groups: “In keeping with council’s commitment to the traditional and customary protocols of our indigenous community members, council suggested to Ms Price’s representatives that she seek permission from the local Gumbaynggirr Aboriginal community to come onto country.”

As I said on air, this behaviour from the council is nothing short of racist, a view that was endorsed by others on air including Coalition senator Amanda Stoker and former ALP national president and current Liberal candidate Warren Mundine.

The Coffs Harbour ABC station talked about the issue on air the day after Price defiantly went ahead with her speech. Morning presenter Fiona Poole apparently had attended the function but didn’t speak with Price, interview her or seek her views on the controversy. Instead Poole described Price on air as someone who “has very much cosied up with the right side of politics”. Well, yes, Price was a Coalition candidate so there is no secret about her politics; but Poole, strangely, went on to link her to Andrew Bolt and Alan Jones rather than Scott Morrison and Ken Wyatt.

Poole said Price “is very divisive” in the indigenous community. Really? Then how divisive were those people defaming her and trying to stop her event?

The Coffs Harbour ABC sent a reporter, Claire Lindsay, to speak with some of the Gumbaynggirr community groups who had opposed Price’s visit.

Lindsay quoted, on air, some of the defamatory media release declaring that Price was “unwelcome” because she “spreads racist vitriol, vilifies and ridicules Aboriginal people and cultures”.

Incredibly, Lindsay did not interrogate or qualify these statements, seek examples that might support it, or contact Price for her point of view.

The indigenous leaders she interviewed went nowhere near that sort of language on air and failed to raise a single specific instance of anything Price had said that they disagreed with. Nor were they pressed to explain or justify their extraordinary efforts to silence an Aboriginal woman.

This episode is deeply worrying. It speaks to a silencing of dissent in a crucial area of public policy and to the malleability of a local government body in the face of illiberal and malicious political posturing in indigenous affairs. And where was the ABC? Was it seeking truth, defending free speech or supporting an Aboriginal woman whose reputation was being maligned and whose rights were under threat?

No, just like the Hindmarsh Island affair all those years ago, the ABC was lined up against the truth-tellers and dissenters.

It amplified the demonisation of Price, gave unquestioning coverage to the illiberal forces, left the council unchallenged and did not have the professional ethics or common human decency to give Jacinta Price so much as the right of reply. It is enough to make you despair. But Price is determined to soldier on.

Jacinta Price is expected to lodge a formal complaint. I will discuss this with her tonight on Kenny on Media.
    Last edited by The Bigfella; 09-16-2019 at 12:41 AM.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I think the ABC is worse than just commie... they are subversive. Some skunk there deserves sacking over that Price issue.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

the council had suggested Price seek permission to “come onto country”.
    Not doing so can cause real trouble. From experience if you are going to get someone to give a welcome to country you had better do you homework first.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Not doing so can cause real trouble. From experience if you are going to get someone to give a welcome to country you had better do you homework first.
    Welcome to Country is crap.

The whole thing was invented by a couple of entertainers (Ernie Dingo and Richard Walley) in 1976.

Quoting from the interwebs: Critics consider such ceremonies to be a form of tokenism, and claim that they do not reflect any element of traditional Aboriginal culture. Price, a Warlpiri woman and former parliamentarian, characterises welcomes as "not particularly meaningful to traditional people." Windschuttle calls them "an invented tradition". Critics also consider them "part and parcel of being politically correct (PC).

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post

The whole thing was invented by a couple of entertainers (Ernie Dingo and Richard Walley) in 1976.

Quoting from the interwebs: Critics consider such ceremonies to be a form of tokenism, and claim that they do not reflect any element of traditional Aboriginal culture. Price, a Warlpiri woman and former parliamentarian, characterises welcomes as "not particularly meaningful to traditional people." Windschuttle calls them "an invented tradition". Critics also consider them "part and parcel of being politically correct (PC).
    Well your mob have denied them everything else so you may as well deny them that as well.

Reading Kenney's piece it seems to me that it's mostly about political dissent within the dispirit Aboriginal groups/organisations. The ABC reporter may not have done a comprehensive job, and some of her footage may not have gone to air. But there are things unknown here. This section bothers me:
    "The Coffs Harbour ABC sent a reporter, Claire Lindsay, to speak with some of the Gumbaynggirr community groups who had opposed Price’s visit.

Lindsay quoted, on air, some of the defamatory media release declaring that Price was “unwelcome” because she “spreads racist vitriol, vilifies and ridicules Aboriginal people and cultures”.

Incredibly, Lindsay did not interrogate or qualify these statements, seek examples that might support it, or contact Price for her point of view.

The indigenous leaders she interviewed went nowhere near that sort of language on air and failed to raise a single specific instance of anything Price had said that they disagreed with. Nor were they pressed to explain or justify their extraordinary efforts to silence an Aboriginal woman.
    "
    Lindsay quoted a 'media release', one presumes there is a record if this release, and a source? If it was quoted as an introduction to the on-air live interview with 'indigenous leaders' and then they failed to back it up then that is their problem.
    The lumping of all Aboriginal groups into an amorphous mass has been a common treatment by Australian authorities and the press, and of course they are as diverse politically as any other part of the Australian community.
    Council is wedged and I do not know the make up of said council. Kenney has form, and so do you both on the subject of Aboriginal rights and the ABC.
    It's a long journey to proper recognition of the countries original inhabitants, but with good will and luck we'll get there. Kenney has much shorter term priorities, and you?
    You have personally done a lot of good work as a result of your travels. Youare an enigma at times.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

That's not entirely true.
    Aa far as i can tell all countries had a way of 'welcoming' people to country.
    The welcome was actually a kind of induction; "while you are on our country you will behave in such and such a way. You will not hunt/gather etc..here there or what ever is prohibited. you will obey local lore", and so on.

White people won't respect a proper welcome to country, they won't obey the lore, so why bother?

On the flip side, in the spirit of generosity and sharing and healing, culture is referenced through a symbolic act. Your average welcome to country that you experience at the local council gathering isn't particularly meaningful, in and of itself, to first nations peoples - as a genuine ceremony. It certainly used to be received as merely lip service, and in many instances it still is, but i observe that more and more often it is taking on greater significance, and is received more sincerely.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

You can't rewrite history no matter how offensive and tragic it is. But you can acknowledge the process and it's consequences. The Maori got a treaty, the Aboriginals were tossed aside to die out, aided and abetted by the murderous and careless actions of the invaders/settlers, european diseases and official policy.
    I have been aware of what my white ancestors her stole most of my life. In my city primary school the Meats brothers, Aboriginals, were ignored as teachers and the "School Paper", an official Education Dept. Publication blithely told us all that the primitive natives of the country were expected to die out, or be bred out, soon enough. They removing an embarassing reminder of what white history was in Aus. And BTW, that history, as taught, contradicted what I even then knew about the process from living in the country for over half the year. Even the descendents of first settlers there in the 1830's knew where the local massacre site was.

BTW, a Dracula in charge of the Blood Bank moment.
    hanson and Andrews in an enquiry into the Family Court system? What could go wrong?

An interesting comment from a random reader of the story on Jacinta Price and the disgusting treatment she received from Coffs Harbour Council and the ABC

Without meaning to Jacinta Price just might be the person that finally brings the ABC to its knees and into the bargain start the ball rolling in the right direction to solve the very real problems faced by people in aboriginal communities - the ABC is a major part of virtually every problem this country faces as it is an organisation that is never ending in its criticism of those that just want to keep our nation great and give us a future.
    If you haven't seen the Kenny interview of Price, you should seek it out. It's the most appalling treatment of a person. Disgusting. I will voice my displeasure to the appropriate authorities.

Interesting to talk to an Aussie expat about it today. A former Goldman Sachs exec. He's disgusted with the way Oz has gone. Won't live there. He lives in Penang now.

https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/nitv-new...-speaking-tour
    None of the main media seem to be asking the local indigenous groups what they think.

An interesting comment from a random reader of the story on Jacinta Price and the disgusting treatment she received from Coffs Harbour Council and the ABC

If you haven't seen the Kenny interview of Price, you should seek it out. It's the most appalling treatment of a person. Disgusting. I will voice my displeasure to the appropriate authorities.

Interesting to talk to an Aussie expat about it today. A former Goldman Sachs exec. He's disgusted with the way Oz has gone. Won't live there. He lives in Penang now.
    I'm disgusted with the way this country has gone!

More on the subsidence caused by long wall mining. Sydney's water supply now under threat.
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-...water/11519970

I think that South 32 has an inflated idea of it's remedial capacities, or at least it hopes to convince politicians so. I'm sure suitably benificient party bribes all round will sweeten the deal.

The commercial media have not only worked themselves in to froth over this but a Google search demonstrates very clearly just how biased they are.

If you haven't seen the Kenny interview of Price, you should seek it out. It's the most appalling treatment of a person. Disgusting.
    The thing about acting is, you can't give it all away in the first act. You got to keep something back for when you hear about aboriginal children being abused in custody.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    The thing about acting is, you can't give it all away in the first act. You got to keep something back for when you hear about aboriginal children being abused in custody.
    What on earth are you on about?

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/nitv-new...-speaking-tour
    None of the main media seem to be asking the local indigenous groups what they think.
    And why do they need to? She's an Australian woman, speaking to Australian people, in Australia. If some minority group wants to tell me that I need their permission to be on community land in Australia, I'd tell them to take a flying f. too.

I have a long post floating around in my head, which I probably won't write. Arising out of our travels in Europe. To do with the fragility of all the things we take for granted. Our lifestyle is an illusion. And of course to do with global warming. Feudal villages. Farming harsh, steep, awful country, growing veggies on virtual cliff faces with tiny terraces carved into them by hand. Poor villages, surrounded by huge walls. For survival against attack by hungry humans. The woeful inadequacy of my 70's and 80's education. I was learning about "pop culture" while the countries of Europe became a single entity which is now disintegrating. I have no idea what that means. Our commercial nightly "news". A car crash. A few daily stock market highlights with no context or analysis. A small time fraudster. The latest celebrity piffle. And then more sport than news. Rounded out by local weather, done with a very broad brush. The same on the ABC and SBS, although with a few pics of a car bomb on a street somewhere in the Middle East, where America gets its oil. And our Federal Minister for Water Resources says there's no drought as such, it's just that the states should have built more dams.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

And why do they need to? She's an Australian woman, speaking to Australian people, in Australia. If some minority group wants to tell me that I need their permission to be on community land in Australia, I'd tell them to take a flying f. too.
    And therein lies a problem with Anglo Australians.

Lost my Medicare card recently but didn't realise till two days ago. I turned the house upside down and yes it's definitely lost.
    So now the fun of getting a new one starts and if you don't remember your card number and it's expiry date then forget about getting a new one via the phone or online via MyGov...particularly if you haven't setup your online Medicare account. Going to Centrelink to get a replacement Pensioners Concession Card was a doddle compared this, yes I lost that as well...it was in the same little plastic card holder.
    I thought going to the doctors surgery and getting my Medicare card number off them was pretty smart until I found out I needed the expiry date as well...should have got a few other bits of information while I was there as well as I wanted to know when I last saw the doctor, when I last saw a specialist and where was my chemist? They don't want to know my shoe size which surprised me.
    Anyway looks like a trip to the nearest Medicare office which is about an hours drive away.

Photocopy the new ones.
    Damned inconveniet though.

#26155. Interesting communication from the locals. As I remarked before, they are as varied in their views as anyone else is liable to be. And of course they have their own law still with a lot of history behind it.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 09-18-2019 at 04:50 AM.

I will be. I don't like not knowing where something went.

It's called balanced reporting, something you are always rabbiting on about but fail to live up to.
    Last edited by WX; 09-18-2019 at 04:36 PM.

Different rules Ian, it's their business not ours this time. I don't think you will like that idea, but it's part of them reclaiming what they can of self determination. It's a work in progress finally.

So whose running the LibNat agenda now eh?……………. A RW loaded 'enquiry' with a predetermined outcome………….

Hanson showed her colours with the comment about women faking domestic violence claims. Also worth noting that there is already a report on the family law court with 60 recommendations, none of which the government has yet acted on.

Toss him into the next big fire. Save everyone a lot of trouble and expense.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-...spend/11530156
    Surplus at any cost, no matter who suffers...well certainly not the Golden Pheasants in Canberra.