Page 755 of 816 FirstFirst ... 255655705745754755756765805 ... LastLast
Results 26,391 to 26,425 of 28530

Thread: Oz Politics.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    One billion dollars in undisclosed and unidentifiable 'donations' to political parties in the last decade, and 100,000,000 in the last election…..
    And the system isn't bent?

Who'd a thunk it eh?

Both major parties benefit.

Nothing will be done.

We've known this for decades. It's why the disclosure laws are what they are.

It's depressing, another area where democracy fails.

Could be worse, could be America!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

I see the Obeid/Mcdonald pair has finally reached court.

And the Senate Enquiry has found that despite Morrison's claim the Audit Office found that 40% of the Sport Funding projects funded by ministerial fiat were inelligible because work had already started, and that the documents had gone back and forth to the PM's office.
    And then we find that the same minister redirected funds intended for disabled sport into a survey touting the benifits of shooting.

Who'd a thunk such criminality……… oh, sorry, it's politics/free speech/yada yada so it's OK.

It all sounds like the Trump admin writ somewhat smaller, crooks, almost the lot of 'em and those that aren't? What you walk past you accept.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 02-13-2020 at 03:19 PM.

​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

I think it's a good idea! Send the three of them to Wuhan for research then off to Christmas Is - preferably in a terminally leaky boat.

Rick

The car brand "Holden" is to disappear, aliong with 800 jobs almost immediately.

Nice one Tony……………….

And the Senate Enquiry has found that despite Morrison's claim the Audit Office found that 40% of the Sport Funding projects funded by ministerial fiat were inelligible
    Yes - and did you see the look on Erica's face when she asked the question - pure gold!!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-...enzie/11965876

I think he expected the sort of answer a Doroth Dixer gets in question time, not truth and facts. Let's hope that public servant keeps his job.

Drum is interesting, the role of unelected political 'advisors' when minister refuses to take responsibility or release reports. The 'advisor' is there of course to make sure when a minister is asked a difficult question he does not have to lie, because he hasn't been told.

And the dilemma of $50 million in trust limbo and the prospect of it becoming a cash cow for the legal profession. I do not think the donors would be pleased, and it raises questions on who we trust……….. and it's not government or politicians.

4 corners more so in a digusting way….St Kevins.
    Place needs to be razed. The land confiscated for reparations. The 'culture' is more than toxic.

and whilst I'm about it Q&A.
    2 major party pollies, both women and in the 'acceptable' stream but denying any knowledge of the donations to their organisational arm from fossil fuel and mining interests etc.. The old "Oh in parliament we don't have anyting to do with that" story. But it's like being a 'little bit pregnant', it does not wash.

We are being governed by crooks.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 02-17-2020 at 06:42 AM.

And the dilemma of $50 million in trust limbo and the prospect of it becoming a cash cow for the legal profession. I do not think the donors would be pleased, and it raises questions on who we trust……….. and it's not government or politicians.
    There is only one person at fault here. They did not do their homework before nominating the organisation to where the donations were to go to.
    Someone had better put their hand up for this and soon otherwise donations for other organisations could dry up.

Neither the government or politicians have any skin in the decision. To claim otherwise is pure BS.

I don't think she's 'at fault'. She started out to raise 30 grand…………. Not enough for one fire truck…… The govrnment had nothing to do with raising the cash, but they could and should have a part in solving the dilemma. Some leadership will be needed.

Supercar season starts today with 18 or so Holdens………….. But now the platform disappears…………..

(I don't follow it but both parents were involved in motor racing)

I note this morning that the IPA is calling for the government to appoint 'ideologically Conservative' (RW) judges to the HC in future to "avoid judicial activism". Sparked by the decision that a person of significant Aboriginal decent cannot be deported from Aus., being Australian by definition.

There's an article in the Oz thats behind a paywall.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-...ralia/11980486

[QUOTE]In a social-media clip filmed against a backdrop of the Opera House last week, Pie launched into bushfires and climate change, calling Scott Morrison, "Australia's climate change denier-in-chief" who "continues to enable and subsidise omnicide".[/QUOTE]

So is this bloke got any thing constructive to say?
    Like how much solar/wind we and the rest of the world need to install and the associated mega storage we need to build, not like the world largest battery with how much storage?
    Blokes like this really crack me up.

…and the latest news from defence contracting is that the US is building our planes, the French our subs and the Brits our surface ships………………… with a decreasingly fewer scraps from the table for Aussie industry. Not surprising really as we have disbanded and retired our strategic heavy engineering capacity almost completely over the last few decades.

Quote Originally Posted by JimJ View Post
    Like how much solar/wind we and the rest of the world need to install and the associated mega storage we need to build, not like the world largest battery with how much storage?
    When will you have something constructive to say Jim?

Rick

I note this morning that the IPA is calling for the government to appoint 'ideologically Conservative' (RW) judges to the HC in future to "avoid judicial activism". Sparked by the decision that a person of significant Aboriginal decent cannot be deported from Aus., being Australian by definition.

There's an article in the Oz thats behind a paywall.
    It's in the GOP textbook.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by JimJ View Post
    More than one way to skin a cat, your imagination is your only limiting factor.

When will you have something constructive to say Jim?
    Read back through this thread and you will see my suggestions.

One is that each current fossil fuel power plant is given a licence to produce their rated power output. When that plant is closed, the company has to replace it with a renewable source that is capable of producing their licenced power output 24/7.

Now this means that for a 2000MW they may have to install 6000MW of power production. 2000MW output for the daily demand and 4000MW to feed into storage to cover the times when the output from the renewable source is less that the 2000MW and to recharge the storage.

For storage I am not talking about puny 193.5 megawatt hours as in SA, that can operate at full power for little more than an hour, but large scale pumped hydro that can provide power for at least 3 days without any recharging from a renewable source.

Until organisations who install renewables provide at least double the rated output of their renewables into storage, just building wind and solar farms will not provide a 24/7 power grid.

The enormous of the matter to replace fossil with renewable is shown in this output at 13:00 on 20/02/2020 when we had 12% from renewables. At 19:00 we are down to 5% from renewables. None of this renewable energy was going to storage. It was all being used by the grid.

Of course the other is building thorium fueled nuclear power plants.

But we cannot even have a discussion about nuclear power. People say it is dangerous and people die.

And we each have to do our own personal bit. I have not paid a power bill for a couple of years.

Who is actually building thorium reactors? As far as I know India is the only one and it's research only....by all means let's talk about them. WA is producing more solar power than the grid can handle without scaling down the coal fired power stations.

Right, so the power generators, the governments and fossil fuel investors will just do those things from the goodness of their collective hearts, of course. No need to put any pressure on any of them at all.

Damn it, where did I put those carrots I was leaving out for the Easter bunny ....?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Right, so the power generators, the governments and fossil fuel investors will just do those things from the goodness of their collective hearts, of course. No need to put any pressure on any of them at all.

Damn it, where did I put those carrots I was leaving out for the Easter bunny ....?

Rick
    Meanwhile we have a government heavily subsidizing the coal and gas industries and being openly hostile to renewables.

It continues to amaze really, the Libs and Nationals hard on for coal.
    I heard a stat today; over the last 20 years Climate Change is responsible for an estimated 1% per annum decrease in average wages in rural Australia.

You got to think that will only accelerate no?

https://www.asio.gov.au/director-gen...ssessment.html

But we are also seeing other actors operating in the terrorism arena.Intolerance based on race, gender and identity, and the extreme political views that intolerance inspires, is on the rise across the western world in particular.
    Right-wing extremism has been in ASIO’s sights for some time, but obviously this threat came into sharp, terrible focus last year in New Zealand.
    In Australia, the extreme right wing threat is real and it is growing. In suburbs around Australia, small cells regularly meet to salute Nazi flags, inspect weapons, train in combat and share their hateful ideology.
    These groups are more organised and security conscious than they were in previous years.
    We continue to see some Australian extremists seeking to connect with like-minded individuals in other parts of the world, sometimes in person. They are not merely seeking to share ideology and tactics.
    Earlier this year, ASIO advice led to an Australian being stopped from leaving the country to fight with an extreme right wing group on a foreign battlefield.
    While these are small in number at this time in comparison to what we saw with foreign fighters heading to the Middle East, any development like this is very concerning.
    Meanwhile, extreme right wing online forums such as The Base proliferate on the internet, and attract international memberships, including from Australians. These online forums share and promote extremist right wing ideologies, and encourage and justify acts of extreme violence.
    We expect such groups will remain an enduring threat, making more use of on-line propaganda to spread their messages of hate.

And Dutton makes a seamless transition, deftly dropping right wing and inserting left wing.

These guys lie unashamedly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The deniers may get their knickers in a knot, but nature doesn't care, it'll kill everybody.

You know we have a perfect storm brewing. Rapod climate change and resulting extreme weather, the Corona virus and a likely pandemic in much, if not all of the world, and a collectoon of the least suitable 'leaders' and politicians that you could possibly elect.
    The experiment continues.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post

Fork!

Just over a weeks difference......
    18.3 degrees. That's a balmy day in Ireland.

The deniers may get their knickers in a knot, but nature doesn't care, it'll kill everybody.

You know we have a perfect storm brewing. Rapod climate change and resulting extreme weather, the Corona virus and a likely pandemic in much, if not all of the world, and a collectoon of the least suitable 'leaders' and politicians that you could possibly elect.
    The experiment continues.
    I think you are getting your time frames a bit muddled. I don't think we will see dramatic changes due to climate change within the next 20 years. Sure a few more storms, more fires, droughts, whatever. But there's nothing new about any of those events. Things will pretty much carry on as usual. Corona virus will come and go within a year. Quite a few million people around the world will die. It will be around for a lot longer, but won't be important. That's not a perfect storm by any stretch.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

The good news is that incumbent governments rarely survive an election during a recession.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

FFS

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...ready-paid-80m

Money will go to Eastern Australia Agriculture – founded by energy minister Angus Taylor – for additional water to save rare wetlands

I note that 135 emails , or thereabouts, were exchanged between the PM's department and the Sports Ministers department re the grants to sporting organisations. I'd make those concerned with the affair pay it back.

We have elected a sewer of ideologues, incompetents, liars and crooks to run the country.

It serves some of us right………….

Incompetence and corruption - that's the Coalition.

Rick

I note that 135 emails , or thereabouts, were exchanged between the PM's department and the Sports Ministers department re the grants to sporting organisations. I'd make those concerned with the affair pay it back.

We have elected a sewer of ideologues, incompetents, liars and crooks to run the country.

It serves some of us right………….
    The whole scam was conducted by the PM's office.

Rick