Page 749 of 765 FirstFirst ... 249649699739748749750759 ... LastLast
Results 26,181 to 26,215 of 26754

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

Anyone who has been to Port Moresby knows it is a very dangerous place to be for a non indiginous. So why would anyone without means of support volunteer to live there?
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-...resby/11430778
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Reliable or not, and probably not, if the US goes too far down the isolationist, high tarrif, buy US, MAGA path it will be less relevant as an economic hub anyway. Wall St will be a minor side show.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    Well, it won't be a minor sideshow, but Trump's antics won't help - meanwhile in Europe, the City relocations will mostly go to Frankfurt. Casablanca rates in the low 20's as a financial centre... but Brussels is in the 50's. Frankfurt.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Ha ha. Saw this comment somewhere else. Immediately thought of you know who.....

You know how to tell someone is an atheist? No need, like a Vegan, they will let you know, repeatedly!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Ha ha. Saw this comment somewhere else. Immediately thought of you know who.....

You know how to tell someone is an atheist? No need, like a Vegan, they will let you know, repeatedly!
    Really? Well colour me surprised!

Big mess in NSW as the medievals attempt to fight off reality.
    I personally am amazed that the catholic arch-anything has any credibility whatever.

Then there's Universities, Chinese students and security.
    It's all about money. The government made it's choices, and they have much of the responsibility.
    Something about lying down with dogs…………….

And on a very sad note, Tim Fisher, one time Nationals leader and Deputy PM is very ill.

One of the good ones.

Look at these meals. Just kill me now.
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-...-says/11432866

Apparently Australians are sending socks to Alan Jones.
    http://situationtheatre.com/news-fus...1McCA7KHAmOwnQ

Pell has lost the appeal and will be spending a few more years in prison.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Be interesting to see is Scomo follows though and now strips him of the Order of Australia... or finds a reason not too.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Wow!
    Interesting.

What was his angle at the appeal - i understand it would have been a technical point of law - as opposed to new evidence.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

How does that work;
    https://www.theguardian.com/australi...s-freedom-bill

“The laws will protect people from being discriminated against, but will not give them a licence to discriminate against other people.”
    while simultaneously;

Porter has previously.... [suggested] it would prevent a repeat of the high profile Israel Folau sacking.

And then there's the ever so low bar of 'Expression';

Anglican archbishop of Sydney, Glenn Davies, on Tuesday added his voice to the call for the laws to go beyond protection from discrimination, saying there needed to be rights for religions to “express ourselves”.
    Davies said an example would be a right for an Anglican school to sack teachers who did not “adhere to the Anglican ethos”.
    Couldn't he have said simply the right to 'not hire' people who don't adhere to the ethos.....? I wonder does he plan to hire gay teachers just so he can fire them and punish them for being gay?

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Anyone who has been to Port Moresby knows it is a very dangerous place to be for a non indiginous. So why would anyone without means of support volunteer to live there?
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-...resby/11430778
    I think if you were on Manus for long enough with no hope of anything but more of the same, you'd eventually give anything a go.

I think if you were on Manus for long enough with no hope of anything but more of the same, you'd eventually give anything a go.

Yep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Yep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Have you been there?

No - just agreeing that Port M could be the lesser of two evils.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    No - just agreeing that Port M could be the lesser of two evils.
    I don't agree with detention camps but I would look at this regarding crime:
    https://www.numbeo.com/crime/in/Port-Moresby

I don't agree with detention camps but I would look at this regarding crime:
    https://www.numbeo.com/crime/in/Port-Moresby
    What a load of pap that is. Unmitigated pap. Having worked in crime stats, I feel eminently qualified to say it's a pile of steaming electrons... and nothing more.

Port Moresby is like any place... what you make it. I suppose if someone wants to sit there for ten years because going to work is too inconvenient, they won't do too well.

I guess that's why so many economic migrants want to come to Oz. Land of milk and honey. Gubbies give you money to do nothing.

Have you been there?
    Worked there twice. More recently than you, IIRC.

I guess that's why so many economic migrants want to come to Oz. Land of milk and honey. Gubbies give you money to do nothing.
    The old right wing mythical boogeyman is dragged out of the cupboard once again.

What a load of pap that is. Unmitigated pap.

Pell;

You expect Marr to not hold back;
    He will soon be shifted to one of those country jails where Victoria houses its paedophiles. He will know so many of the priests and brothers there.
    Very illustrative of how far he's fallen. I wonder will he reflect on his new status amongst people he probably despises.

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...back-to-prison

Worked there twice. More recently than you, IIRC.
    When and how long did you live in the city? Go back to a hotel or a nice little razorwired compound at night did you?
    I'm going to come back to this. A good friend of mine worked there for a number of years and still has ties to the place.

What a load of pap that is. Unmitigated pap. Having worked in crime stats, I feel eminently qualified to say it's a pile of steaming electrons... and nothing more.

Port Moresby is like any place... what you make it. I suppose if someone wants to sit there for ten years because going to work is too inconvenient, they won't do too well.

Well you should know.

Have you been there?
    3 years working there. And a few additional visits.

When and how long did you live in the city? Go back to a hotel or a nice little razorwired compound at night did you?
    I'm going to come back to this. A good friend of mine worked there for a number of years and still has ties to the place.
    I think that if you asked an an unemployed person living in Moresby, whether he's a outsider, say Malaysian, or an out of town local, say a highlander, whether he'd rather put up with the hardships and risks of Moresby, or go into indefinite detention thousands of miles from home, he'd choose Moresby every time. It is a dangerous city with a very high violent crime rate and extremely poor facilities, corrupt and incompetent police and public servants, and a very high cost of living. But it's better than an island prison. Many Papua New Guinea nationals from the regions think it's a better place than their own village amongst their own people.

Looks like Pell is going to try the HC.

Sydney Achbishop supports him it seems.

"Due to legal issues we are unable to bring you tonights edition of The Drum"

Well I reckon I know what that is about, Pell's lawyers attempting a shut down of discussion is likely.
    Injunction or the ABC being careful after an implied threat?

But the radio programmes and talkback seem to be in full flight.

Guns for hire again.

OTOH it could be about the Gobbo/Victoria Police affair, More guns for hire.

ED: 6.00 pm edition only, RN edition on now.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 08-21-2019 at 04:14 AM.

I think that if you asked an an unemployed person living in Moresby, whether he's a outsider, say Malaysian, or an out of town local, say a highlander, whether he'd rather put up with the hardships and risks of Moresby, or go into indefinite detention thousands of miles from home, he'd choose Moresby every time. It is a dangerous city with a very high violent crime rate and extremely poor facilities, corrupt and incompetent police and public servants, and a very high cost of living. But it's better than an island prison. Many Papua New Guinea nationals from the regions think it's a better place than their own village amongst their own people.

May be not so for a refugee that has come from a Middle Eastern country. Anyway I checked with my mate and he reckons Mosbi is probably safer than it was when I was there.
    Generally safer I think. There’s a lot more png Nationals with decent incomes.

Why are we sending a ship into a situation that wasn't a problem till Trump F'ed with it?

Aus is well and truly wedged, and both wedgers know it and are applying pressure. The US knows we ignored the inteligence and the evidence and followed Cheney and Rummy into Iraq. donald thinks, with good evidence, that we'll be the suckers once again. China just bides it's time, and sends an occasional gunboat.
    https://www.news.com.au/technology/i...2f3bf73388c7c1

A scene from “The Servant of Two Masters,” an 18th-century farce. Now it's a 22nd century farce.

Why are we sending a ship into a situation that wasn't a problem till Trump F'ed with it?
    Not an answer to your question, but an interesting synopsis of the situation; https://theconversation.com/the-stra...lore-it-122257

The system is structured to move wealth from everybody up to the top 20% and especially the top 1%.

I've said that in many ways, many times.
    Seems like the Bureau of statistics agrees, but isn't keen to say it out loud.

https://theconversation.com/what-the...-wealth-121731

The latest survey shows that the wealth of a household 10% from the top is 71 times the wealth of a household 10% from the bottom, up from 52 times in 2013-14, and 45 times when the survey began back in 2003-04.

Christine Lagarde, IMF chief until recently, said: “Reducing excessive inequality is not just morally and politically correct, but it is good economics.”The OECD, the organisation representing the world’s wealthiest economies, adds:
    The notion that one can enjoy the benefits from one’s own efforts has always been a powerful incentive to invest in human capital, new ideas and new products, as well as to undertake risky commercial ventures. But beyond a certain point, and not least during an economic crisis, growing income inequalities can undermine the foundations of market economies.
    https://theconversation.com/inequali...-result-119962

"Oddly, the press release didn’t include data to back up its conclusion. That was left for reporters and analysts to find, diving into the trove of more detailed information assembled by the bureau, from which a somewhat different picture emerged, particularly for wealth."

Keeping their heads down, and their jobs is likely under this lot.

But then the rubes elected them after buying what Clive spent 60mill on, we get the government we deserve.