Page 635 of 771 FirstFirst ... 135535585625634635636645685735 ... LastLast
Results 22,191 to 22,225 of 26973

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

STOCKHOLM SYNDROME

Sky is the forum rightwing politicians – and even some Labor ones, presumably suffering from some sort of weird Stockholm Syndrome – bunkered down in Canberra get many of their dumb ideas. Gain what they think is an insight into the views of “real Australians”. Get the support and re-encouragement to follow their own conservative ideological bent and move the Government even further to the Right.

The Pied Pipers of Murdoch are leading the children of the Coalition into the abyss, as they stare vacantly at the Sky. After the next Federal election, which will probably be held in May next year, very few conservative MPs will return to the burrow in that isolated hill in Canberra. Some of the ones that don’t, of course, may end up on Sky News to spout their irrelevant, out of touch opinions.
    And the Australian people will be glad, because most of us will never need to hear from these out-of-touch fools again......

https://independentaustralia.net/pol...he-abyss,12151

Rupert will be, as we speak, courting labour and I do hope they give him the bum's rush. For Labour he's proven he's not to be trusted, and I do hope they remember that.
    Not suggesting a boycott it's not a good idea but some restrictions on access and much of that being paper press releases might be effective.

Marginalise the meddling bastard......
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"paper press releases"

posted………………..

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    "paper press releases"

posted………………..

I think you were right , when you said ( keeping him ) "at a very careful arms length" ...would be very wise. A gentle reminder of times past.

''very few conservative MPs will return to the burrow in that isolated hill in Canberra. ''A lovely image, not quite Hobbit like, more goblin.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Anyone remember Fitzgerald ?

When the venerable Tony Fitzgerald (he of the Fitzgerald Inquiry) and the Australian Institute put these seven basic questions of ethics to our parliamentarians in June 2017:

36 declined to take part

137 did not reply.

Less than one-quarter of our federal politicians – including 39 from the ALP, were prepared to commit to these fairly self-evident standards of conduct:

• to act honourably and fairly and solely in the public interest;
    • to treat all citizens equally;
    • to tell the truth;
    • not to mislead or deceive;
    • not to withhold or obfuscate information to which voters are entitled;
    • not to spend public money except for public benefit; and
    • not to use your position or information gained from your position for your benefit or the benefit of a family member, friend, political party or other related entity.

AS WE DECRY what many say is the most incompetent government in living memory, it's important not to fall into the trap of just waiting for it to be replaced, thinking all will be well henceforth. We need to look at how to avoid Australia ever having to experience this kind of dysfunction again. Just electing another party is not enough.......

https://independentaustralia.net/pol...emocracy,12143

Well, they couldn't be a party based politician with such 'restrictions'.
    "
    • to act honourably and fairly and solely in the public interest;
    • to treat all citizens equally;
    • to tell the truth;
    • not to mislead or deceive;
    • not to withhold or obfuscate information to which voters are entitled;
    • not to spend public money except for public benefit; and
    • not to use your position or information gained from your position for your benefit or the benefit of a family member, friend, political party or other related entity."

I don't think there's one point there that applies to MP's, senators, their staff, their advisors or their lawyers for that matter. And as for the party machines…………….

To give them the benefit of the doubt, points 2 and 5 are the sort of things that could just cause endless screeching. If you're a pollie from the left, for example, imagine Sky News screaming every time you tried to tax billionaires that "you promised to treat all citizens equally and now you're breaking that promise by making poor Gina pay more tax than a 17 year old on the dole"!!!! Is is treating all citizens equally if some get a pension and some have to pay tax? Maybe a caring and effective social democracy demands unequal treatment?

Withholding information to which citizens are entitled could also be a thorny issue - who decides what information is covered?

Coming from the viewpoint of someone who has run plenty of investigations into professional standards issues, I'd argue that it's best to steer clear of such murky, subjective areas and instead to go really hard on the conduct that is clearly corrupt.

Well, they couldn't be a party based politician with such 'restrictions'.

I don't think there's one point there that applies to MP's, senators, their staff, their advisors or their lawyers for that matter. And as for the party machines…………….

I could not see one either ..... so what do we do to see that this does not happen again ? Democracy and responsible GOVT.... its all just an un- attainable dream right ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    To give them the benefit of the doubt, points 2 and 5 are the sort of things that could just cause endless screeching. If you're a pollie from the left, for example, imagine Sky News screaming every time you tried to tax billionaires that "you promised to treat all citizens equally and now you're breaking that promise by making poor Gina pay more tax than a 17 year old on the dole"!!!! Is is treating all citizens equally if some get a pension and some have to pay tax? Maybe a caring and effective social democracy demands unequal treatment?

Withholding information to which citizens are entitled could also be a thorny issue - who decides what information is covered?

Coming from the viewpoint of someone who has run plenty of investigations into professional standards issues, I'd argue that it's best to steer clear of such murky, subjective areas and instead to go really hard on the conduct that is clearly corrupt.
    I see what you are saying ...but we don`t even have an ICAC !

But one looks entirely possible with the current activist cross bench.
    Grateful Dead

Kanavan and Morrison dissing students for protests against climate change.
    These politicians are so 1950's. The conservative side were saying EXACTLY the same thing then.

Just what Abbott wanted, 1952 all over again...... forever.
    Grateful Dead

The head of a country school well known for winning science prizes said his whole school, and the parents, protested.
    He said the 'kids' understand the science, the politicians, if they have the actual intellect, either don't understand…………or are bought.

Hmm, stock exchange says it's having the worst month since the GFC…...

Well, well, well, sounds like the ex ABC chair was shilling for Malcolm……………….

And in Vic the Lib. wheels continue to fall off, the Lib. state Pres., Mick Kroger has resigned…………….. under pressure.

And the Nats are kicking up about a Fed ICAC, they are worried about being caught up pork barreling their electorates by redirecting grants.

Who'd a thunk it eh?
    Last edited by skuthorp; 11-30-2018 at 05:20 AM.

Slomo will have to be deaf to ignore this .

Naaman Zhou

I’m six years out of school, nearly graduated from university, and I’ve never seen a protest like this

@naamanzhou

Fri 30 Nov 2018 18.18 AEDTLast modified on Fri 30 Nov 2018 21.21 AEDT

Shares

Play Video

1:37

Thousands of students join climate protest – video
    The kids couldn’t believe it. The adults couldn’t believe it.

Martin Place hadn’t seen anything like it for years, and Elly and her sister had never seen anything like it – ever.
    Elly, 14, and Aidan, 10, had come thinking the strike would be “a small thing”. Elly said she didn’t know many people from her school who were coming. She found a thousand others.
    On Friday, in a crowded Martin Place, the chants went up and I’ve never felt prouder.
    This week thousands of students in every state walked out of school to protest inaction over climate change and the sense that their future is being frittered away.
    They had the signs, the statistics, the anger – and the solutions too. I looked around and felt I had seen the future, clever and full of passion.

Climate change strike: thousands of school students protest across Australia

Read more

I count myself as nearly of the same generation as the strikers. I’m six years out of high school, nearly graduated from university – but I’ve never seen a protest like this.
    I came in with cynicism. In the exact same spot, I have seen so many protests wither on the vine, outnumbered by food-court patrons.
    University students like to think that they are the epicentre of social change, or at least they were in the heyday of the 70s. But on Friday in Sydney all you could hear in the CBD were the school kids, and in Melbourne they stopped traffic at 1pm on a school day.
    Activism seems to have skipped a generation, and I couldn’t be happier.
    In Sydney, Jean Hinchliffe, 14, had the stage and took the roll, in a way. She asked who here was in primary school, who was in high school, who was from western Sydney, who had travelled from the bush, who wanted their politicians to do way more about climate change. The roar sent the microphones screaming into static and camera operators winced with their headphones in.
    Scott Morrison had told them not to gather and that only made them feel better about doing it. Finally, something the politicians couldn’t control. That was the theme of the day – the frustration of feeling powerless.
    “You have failed us all so terribly,” said Nosrat Fareha, 15, from Auburn Girls High school.
    “We deserve better. Young people can’t even vote but will have to live with the consequences of your inaction for decades.”
    Morrison was mentioned by every speaker and booed every time. How much he must regret that throwaway line in question time, that “kids should go to school” and be “less activist”, and the electoral harm it threatens to cause in a few more years.

Schools climate strike: the best protest banners and posters

Read more

It was so easily turned around, and the irony obvious to all. “If Scott Morrison wants children to stop acting like a parliament, then maybe the parliament should stop acting like children,” Manjot Kaur, 17, said.
    Advertisement

It was an articulate anger, and the speakers made sure to say they had the solutions too, not just the doom and gloom. There was music and happiness. They sang Stand by Me and everyone knew the words – an old-school activist vibe to make anyone dewy-eyed. One girl said to another, “Oh I should have put you up on my shoulders for that!” and then did on the next song.
    “Here’s to us”, said Fareha. “The generation that can’t wait until it’s too late”.
    There will inevitably be blowback from the rightwing commentariat, and the politicians themselves, that these young activists have been whipped into a false frenzy. But that’s not what this was. It was a hesitant, cautious embrace of something long overdue.
    “When I say student, you say power!” Hinchliffe shouted. They did. And it felt like a sense of self-actualisation – hundreds looking around and thinking yes, everyone is actually, really saying it too. Maybe it’s true. The call and response came up and down Martin Place in waves, swimming long laps. They were clutching their ears it was so loud

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...HgztrvGX5lS80Q
    Grateful Dead

Talk about a public relations smack down for the Lib/Nat's......and from such an authentic grass roots response to Govt ineptitude by the future leaders of the nation, many of whom will be voting in the next year or three. I am really enjoying reading the protest banners and placards.

I believe that bit of coal Scomo is holding had been lacquered so he wouldn’t get his hands dirty.
    The social contract that bestows authority — both moral and legal — on our political leaders is struck on the trust that they know what they are doing and will always act in our best interests:

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I believe that bit of coal Scomo is holding had been lacquered so he wouldn’t get his hands dirty.

d6027dda3be4ddb844b66c391e457d69d94e5340.jpg

It seems, from Fairfax, that the Finance industry and the banks instead of paying fines have been making 'donations' to charities of their own choosing………….. tax deductible of course. Oh yes, and we don't get to know which 'charities'. The Retired Fraudulent Bankers Benevolent Fund perhaps?

What a crooked pack of fraudsters and thieves.

No wonder the Lib/Nats didn't want an enquiry, and why the LibNats don't want a Federal ICAC.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 11-30-2018 at 08:34 PM.

^ the IPA and Menzies institutes perhaps. BTW where's our resident shill? Very quiet of late...
    Xanthorrea

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    No he's covered it in massage oil.....
    Last edited by Hallam; 11-30-2018 at 11:32 PM.

It seems, from Fairfax, that the Finance industry and the banks instead of paying fines have been making 'donations' to charities of their own choosing………….. tax deductible of course. Oh yes, and we don't get to know which 'charities'. The Retired Fraudulent Bankers Benevolent Fund perhaps?

What a crooked pack of fraudsters and thieves.

No wonder the Lib/Nats didn't want an enquiry, and why the LibNats don't want a Federal ICAC.
    'It's not even scratched the surface': bank victims demand royal commission 2.0

“It’s not even scratched the surface in terms of bank scandals. The industry think they are just about off the hook but we are only just at the beginning,” said Shannon, a former Bankwest customer whose business became embroiled in the controversial takeover of the lender by the Commonwealth Bank 10 years ago.

“Even now the royal commission is not looking at the most serious offences,” said Brandson, who set up Bank Reform Now after fighting a loan dispute with NAB. “There has been criminal fraud, forged documents, asset-stripping and millions of dollars of assets have been taken from people.”

Both activists have held numerous meetings with the banks and politicians but say there is still not enough recognition of the damage done by what they claim is decades of misconduct.

With the Labor party backing calls for a renewed investigation
    , it is not inconceivable that a change of government in Canberra next year could put the banks, wealth managers, super funds and insurance companies on the interrogatory rack again.

Commissioner Hayne has been withering about the culture inside the industry, which he noted in his interim report was driven by greed and short-term profits.

But how far the banks are able or willing to go to change the culture, which is underpinned by a remuneration system based on sales commissions and bonuses, remains to be seen.

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...-commission-20

A cruel Queensland cricitism of h Libs

https://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.a...ike-s/3189689/

OPINION: Fixation with coal starting to look like socialism

by melaniekeyte

15th Jun 2017 7:00 AM

HONESTLY, what is up with our politicians' preoccupation with coal?
    I get it, coal has got us where we are today and I realise that without the stuff, a whole lot of the developed human world wouldn't exist.
    But does that mean we must continue to prop up a dying industry and flagrantly ignore the climate warnings coming from our nation's top scientists?
    Investors are backing away from new coal-based investments, the Carmichael -Adani coal mine being the closest and latest example.
    Whether you believe this is the hippies' fault or not, this withdrawal either means government must fill in the funding gap or the industry must be left to die, just as horse-and-cart businesses and typewriter manufacturers had to close down when money for their products dried up.
    So let's examine each of those options for a moment.
    Grateful Dead

Wyoming, given the choice to finance our state government with coal, oil, and gas exports, is in a similar position.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Ah yes Peter, the old Country Party/now Nat's were always known as Rural Socialists…………..

and at it's most popular as a result.
    Grateful Dead

After that they became Liberals with Akubras
    Grateful Dead

I see that that the Libs are attempting to dump preselections in an attempt to save Craig Kelly. I doubt he'd be re-elected anyhow, they'd just have another cross bench independent, though a false flag independent is a possibility in that seat.

Turnbull on radio sayin the longer they hold off the worse it will be, and they may actually loose NSW aa well in the process. Talk of State and Fed elections 3 weeks apart. The voters would just love that!

The social contract that bestows authority — both moral and legal — on our political leaders is struck on the trust that they know what they are doing and will always act in our best interests:

That is very good indeed Gary.

That is very good indeed Gary.
    Combined with the kid's demonstration lst week, very good.
    Grateful Dead