Page 602 of 814 FirstFirst ... 102502552592601602603612652702 ... LastLast
Results 21,036 to 21,070 of 28479

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

What do people think about the My Health Record program? I can see real advantages but the risks to data seem enormous. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-1...cerns/10006788
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Haven't decided yet, there's not much info in mine anyhow.
    I'm not on any medication and as far as I know no medical allergies or problems.

But I may give it the bird anyhow.

I've never been on medication before but now .............
    Grateful Dead

From a public post on Facebook, edited by trimming it down, by me:

"Let's ignore the fact that this is the same government responsible for censusfail that is supposed to maintain a secure database of everyone's private medical details. Let's just assume that the security of the database from unauthorised access is a given and look at the problems with what counts as authorised access.

Here's a quote from the My Health Records act, 2012:

(1) The System Operator is authorised to use or disclose health information included in a healthcare recipient’s My Health Record if the System Operator reasonably believes that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary for one or more of the following things done by, or on behalf of, an enforcement body:
    (a) the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution or punishment of criminal offences, breaches of a law imposing a penalty or sanction or breaches of a prescribed law;
    (b) the enforcement of laws relating to the confiscation of the proceeds of crime;
    (c) the protection of the public revenue;
    (d) the prevention, detection, investigation or remedying of seriously improper conduct or prescribed conduct;
    (e) the preparation for, or conduct of, proceedings before any court or tribunal, or implementation of the orders of a court or tribunal.

This law contains within it a clause designed to allow the violation of your medical privacy without the need to seek a warrant.

We otherwise require a warrant for this kind of privacy violation for very good reasons. But if you're not convinced it's a bad idea and think if you've done nothing wrong then you've got nothing to hide well...

a) It's really important you learn the difference between being charged with a crime and being found guilty of a crime.
    b) I've got a bridge to sell you.

Take a look at the things this warrantless violation is allowed for. See clause (c) there? The Protection of the Public Revenue.

Who here thinks Centrelink's Robo-Debt has been administered well? Anyone? Bueller? Now keep your hand up if you think it's a good idea to trust these people to do exactly the same thing, except swap out Newstart with the disability pension, and swap out the ATO data with MyHealthRecord?

If you think the system as it is currently set up is a good idea, you either don't understand the issue, have WAY too much faith in the government to perform tasks they have explicitly shown themselves to be incompetent at, you don't care about the disabled, or any combination of the above.

www.myhealthrecord.gov.au/for-you-your-family/opt-out-my-health-record"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

Precisely Bruce, and I reckon the database will be designed with a 'backdoor' anyhow to allow unauthorised and untraceable access if that isn't already in the legislation. Taxatiin already covered. Councils, Police, next, the dog catcher.
    And a couple of years down the road some government will decide there's money to be made selling access to business donors to the party

Point well made, but for the opposing case, it may well be a life saver and likely the only way to stop doctor shopping.
    Grateful Dead

Grateful Dead

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Clearly Peter those 846 offenders are a national emergency compared to the mere 59,048 offenders who were born here.
    We must immediately engage in a national debate in the federal parliament on this issue. To hell with the Vic police and their opinions, those are after all only opinions. And lets face it, everyone has one of them......
    We demand riot police, the legalisation of torture, bring in the army - snipers preferably.
    Bloody go#ywogs coming over here in their millions, taking our jobs, having bigger members than us, and running rampaging down our city streets committing 1% of our crime! An entire percent. That's the same as saying it is all of it!

As for the bloody Irish!
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Yeah, baskets !!!!! Pauline and Dutton will sort them though, they're even nastier .
    Grateful Dead

Yeah but………. but…………… football………...

majak daw mark

Is a football club a gang…………..? Tell me Mr Dutton, tell me………………….

And this, a 50 year old Australian record
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-2...ecord/10020880
    Last edited by skuthorp; 07-24-2018 at 06:06 AM.

A terrorism risk update.
    Grateful Dead

Or here, we could talk about 2 stroke bans, TBT antifouling, all the good old stuff that eco terrorists and fat assed bureaucrats and dimwitted consultants think are bad for the world and good for us. This would be a good place for that.

Victorian shooters and fishers party want to make silencers legal.
    Shooter rep says it's because shooting damages your hearing…………...

I nearly fell about laughing at that!

A stupid argument, I can't see any good argument in favour of silencers , even though Dad used one on a .22 for rabbits.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Victorian shooters and fishers party want to make silencers legal.
    Shooter rep says it's because shooting damages your hearing…………...

I nearly fell about laughing at that!

They (H&SP) also want to know why over $150k of NSW public money was spent in a loss-making fun draiser for the rebadged frock museum. Talk about snouts in trough!

The minister previously declared in parliament a $70k 'profit' and is now deflecting to the frockshop Director, who is on leave. The Hunters and Grunters are not amused and are sensing someone's trophy head will soon be mounted over a fireplace. They may well be dangerous in their desire for weaponry but they might just also turn out to be an appropriately skilled set of people to hunt down and weed out urban feral pigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.

My gun hobby horse is Lehjonhelm's Adler shotgun. It, combined with 00 ammunition will be the weapon of choice of our next mass murderer.
    Grateful Dead

I couldn't have said it better myself.
    No really, I couldn't have said it better.

“Australia national security” is nationalsecurity.gov.au. The sole focus of this information hub appears to be the prevention of terrorism...... If you call this hotline to discuss a multinational gas company needing more negotiating leverage to rip off the poorest country in our region, I presume they will hang up in your ear.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ment-118598158

Four years after the bugging of the Timorese cabinet rooms is alleged to have occurred, Downer quit politics and took up a position as a paid lobbyist for Woodside Petroleum. The former secretary of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade Dr Ashton Calvert had already joined the board of directors of Woodside by the time Downer arrived. Labor’s former minister for resources and energy Gary Gray was also a former director of corporate affairs at Woodside Petroleum, and his Labor predecessor, resources minister Martin Ferguson, took up an “advisory” role with the oil and gas industry’s peak lobby group APPEA only six months after retiring from politics.
    It may not surprise you to know that Woodside had donated more than $1.4m to the major parties in the decade prior to 2017, before they abruptly ceased making such overt influence claims.

Is Malcolm morphing into Erika, or is it just his policies?

Turnbull Abetz.JPG

Here he is whistling about the real concern a certain group of people of colour represent.

Nine 51% and Fairfax 49%.

Fairfax and Nine have announced a merger that will create an integrated media giant across television, online video streaming, print, digital and real estate advertising.
    Nine will effectively be the dominant partner, with its current shareholders holding 51.1 per cent of the merged company's shares, and the current Nine chief executive and chairman — Hugh Marks and Peter Costello, respectively — leading the combined firm.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-2...erger/10037712

There goes the house.

The ABC is in mortal danger !
    Grateful Dead

This election will decide whether it survives or not I think.

Re the merger, the Age and SMH will inevitably go or change so much as to be so polluted to be unrecognisable. Their standard of journalism is not wanted by 9 which is infotainment at best. But we get the governments we deserve, likewise the press. A population obsessed by FB and flim flam likely don't deserve anything else. I guess I'll be continuing my Guardian sub. and looking for something else. Maybe Crikey though that's not what it was.

Re the merger, the Age and SMH will inevitably go or change so much as to be so polluted to be unrecognisable. Their standard of journalism is not wanted by 9 which is infotainment at best. But we get the governments we deserve, likewise the press. A population obsessed by FB and flim flam likely don't deserve anything else. I guess I'll be continuing my Guardian sub. and looking for something else. Maybe Crikey though that's not what it was.
    Possibly, but there is a market for their product that 9 won't want to pass up. It will come down to money or politics.
    Grateful Dead

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

I subscribe to the Guardian too.
    I'm also thinking of subscribing to the Conversation. https://theconversation.com/au

I don't but probably should ...... the Age Pension doesn't allow too many excesses.
    Grateful Dead

I wonder if you could use my link? Maybe if you had my password? I don't now if it works that way or recognises an IP address.

It may be just me, but 9 is rubbish, real good for nothing rubbish, but it sells and like always I am well out of step. I do wonder if the Fairfax audience will transfer though. I will not.

Why would they? 9 is determinedly lowbrow and offers little to anyone with a working brain. Tonight's offerings are all football.
    Grateful Dead

I've been 'out of step' with my peers and society since I was in kinder, I see no sign that that is about to change.
    The ABC will certainly be the next target, and after that NL will be going after 9……………..
    Capitalism defeated by oligarchy.

Just as well I'm a champion cynic, rather than a depressive eh?

Well I'm surprised by the fact that I'm feeling a bit depressed over this news. I suppose the best antidote is to accept that change is a constant.

Last edited by Hallam; 07-26-2018 at 04:42 AM.

Bruce Cockburn

Well technology defeated Fairfax, and oddly enough when I worked for an ad agency years ago, when the internet was just a university thing, a group of us put a scenario just like now to our management and Fairfax about getting in first. Management saw us as a threat to them, and Fairfax probably even more so seeing that they'd not long changed from hot metal, and the board definitely still saw it that way.

The agency collapsed as Fairfax has for similar reasons only earlier, refusal to acknowledge technical change, but I'd gone into publishing by then.

My epiphany long ago was "Fatalism is the art of managing change". So take advantage of the same technology that stuffed the newspaper business and find a news outlet on-line you can trust. Maybe several. The NY times makes it's profits from subscribers, not advertising I'm told.
    But trust 9 as a hard news outlet? not on your nellie.

So Donald is threatening to bomb Iran, he needs a war to win the mid terms is likely. Pine Gap will be intimately involved, the instructions to Turnbull will already be in place in case, but if it's only bombs/missiles then likely no Aus. assets would be needed except as a token, an important one nevertheless as likely we would be the only one.

If the idiot starts this one we will willingly march in lock step.
    Grateful Dead

Grateful Dead

I wonder if you could use my link? Maybe if you had my password? I don't now if it works that way or recognises an IP address.

It may be just me, but 9 is rubbish, real good for nothing rubbish, but it sells and like always I am well out of step. I do wonder if the Fairfax audience will transfer though. I will not.
    I listened to a number of interviews about the merger and I heard a lot of words disguised as information.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP