Page 563 of 608 FirstFirst ... 63463513553562563564573 ... LastLast
Results 19,671 to 19,705 of 21256

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    And you should give credit to the LibNats for extending the Child Abuse Royal Commission for two years over that put forward by Labor, so that it could do the job properly.
    After the overthrow of the noxious Abbot they would not have be game to pull the pin on it.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Obviously, you didn't listen to the Jacinta Price commentary. I'd recommend you to do so. She's from that group that you feel isn't represented. She doesn't want the day changed.

My girlfriend isn't from the "white domination" segment either. She doesn't want it changed.

No-one I know, apart from far lefties wants it changed.... and my social and work contacts are a highly diverse group.... fortunately largely free of the ratbag left.
    Price is one, there are thousands of her peers on the other side.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Those yes.

On Howard's scoreboard he's still in almost infinite deficit for encouraging Bush to invade the wrong country. Nothing will even that one up.
    Not according to a majority of the Iraqi people:

In 2006, a poll conducted on the Iraqi public revealed that 52% of the ones polled said Iraq was going in the right direction and 61% claimed it was worth ousting Saddam Hussein.

(WPO 9/2006)
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Price is one, there are thousands of her peers on the other side.
    Wow. Thousands. Check the latest census results. There's close as dammit 25 million AUSTRALIANS

Maybe you should think about inclusiveness more than you think about divisiveness. Oh, sorry... forgot. Greens. OK.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

For aborigines it's Invasion Day. I know empathy isn't one of your strong points but try to absorb that. If the Japanese had won and we were being asked to celebrate the fact we Anglos / Europeans may no be happy.
    Grateful Dead

After the overthrow of the noxious Abbot they would not have be game to pull the pin on it.
    It was extended by Abbott.

It'd be a real pity if you actually bothered to inform yourself before blathering on.... we'd have nothing to laugh about around here.

Someone must have really put the hard word on him.
    Grateful Dead

It was extended by Abbott.

It'd be a real pity if you actually bothered to inform yourself before blathering on.... we'd have nothing to laugh about around here.
    We reciprocate Ian, your right wing idiocy is like something from outer space ... or far right America.
    Grateful Dead

For aborigines it's Invasion Day. I know empathy isn't one of your strong points but try to absorb that.
    If anyone wants to run an argument like that, then they are a fool. If it's Invasion Day... then they are losers. The reality is that they are winners.

Let's compare, 1787 life expectancy in this country with same in 2018.

Let's compare life for women in 1787 in this country with 2018. No more climbing Tjoritja (the MacDonnell Range) for women, rather than walking through the gap, for men.

No more cannibalism in times of drought.

Want to do any more comparisons from 1787 to now?

Someone must have really put the hard word on him.
    Haters gotta hate, eh?

Heee hee heee!
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge” - Charles Darwin (1809–1882)

Nutshell Pram Build pictures ; https://photos.app.goo.gl/1GdBcckcgBAWsbVg1

Recent DNA research suggest that the early species of humans viewed meat as meat, and that a bit of cannibalism strengthened the DNA of the diner, if not the dinner, and was not uncommon until comparatively recently.
    http://www.abc.net.au/science/articl.../11/828800.htm

As I said Ian, empathy isn't one of your strong points.
    Grateful Dead

As I said Ian, empathy isn't one of your strong points.
    As if you'd know.

Did Treasury "approve" your assessment?

From the news report I heard, yes. As for empathy, we've been reading your words for years ..... so yes we would know.
    Grateful Dead

Interesting figure about. The proportion of Australian owning their own homes at it's lowest since the 1950's.

The joys of negative gearing.
    Grateful Dead

Well, the same sex marriage act change sheets home to the LibNats.
    No the Australian people decided that the LibNats reneged on doing the right thing and just passing it in the first place.
    Re the Intervention we now have the welfare card and it seems crime has increased.
    https://thewest.com.au/news/crime/cr...-ng-b88570106z
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    No the Australian people decided that the LibNats reneged on doing the right thing and just passing it in the first place.
    Re the Intervention we now have the welfare card and it seems crime has increased.
    https://thewest.com.au/news/crime/cr...-ng-b88570106z
    I'd suggest you don't use that line of reasoning for your PhD thesis

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-12/immigration-paid-$230,000-in-compensation-claims,-foi-reveals/9318552?section=politics

More than 20 compensation cases brought against the Immigration Department for wrongful imprisonment or personal injury have been paid out in the past financial year, costing the Federal Government $230,000.

In documents obtained under freedom of information by the Australian Lawyers Alliance, the Department of Finance settled 23 cases relating to immigration detainees and staff between 1 July 2016 and 30 June 2017.
    In one case in Indonesia, $32,313 was awarded for personal injury in detention, while in Australia two cases were paid the total of $69,508 for wrongful detention.
    Nine cases involved detention staff, including two claims from workers on Manus Island were also compensated $69,108.
    These cases do not include what is thought to be the largest human rights settlement in Australian legal history last year, when the Commonwealth was ordered to pay $70 million, plus $20 million in legal costs.
    The settlement was approved by the Victorian Supreme Court as "a fair and reasonable sum" for the imprisonment of 1,905 men held on Manus Island between 2012 and mid-2016.
    That case was settled on June 13, and according to lawyers for Slater and Gordon about 1,000 payments are being finalised this week as the money is distributed between the group members.
    Grateful Dead

As long as it doesn't get to a trial judgement the 'record' is clean……………….

Asylum seekerswho alleged they endured physical and psychological harm on Manus Island between 2012 and 2016 say they "are finally being heard" after the Federal Government agreed to pay $70 million in compensation.
    Key points:

• The plaintiffs alleged their time on Manus Island caused them physical and psychological harm
    • They also claimed they were falsely imprisoned after PNG's Supreme Court ruled their detention was illegal
    • The in-principal agreement is yet to be approved by the court

The group alleged the Commonwealth breached its duty of care by holding them in conditions that did not meet Australian standards.
    During the period of their incarceration there was also a riot that resulted in the death of an asylum seeker and serious injuries to other detainees.
    They also claimed they were falsely imprisoned after Papua New Guinea's Supreme Court ruled their detention was illegal.
    A Victorian Supreme Court trial against the Commonwealth and security companies Transfield and G4S, which had been delayed for several months, was due to start today and had been expected to run for six months.
    Law firm Slater and Gordon, which ran the class action, believed it to have been the largest immigration detention trial ever in Australia.
    When it began, legal representatives for the plaintiff told the court it had reached an agreement to settle the case.
    The in-principle agreement, subject to court approval, will include payment of plaintiffs' legal costs, which to date are more than $20 million.
    Sudanese refugee Abdul Aziz Muhammad, who was part of the action and now lives on Manus Island, said he was "really, really happy" with the outcome.
    "I'm so excited, I haven't been so excited like this since I came to Manus Island," he said.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-1...sation/8616672
    Grateful Dead

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-12/immigration-paid-$230,000-in-compensation-claims,-foi-reveals/9318552?section=politics

More than 20 compensation cases brought against the Immigration Department for wrongful imprisonment or personal injury have been paid out in the past financial year, costing the Federal Government $230,000.

In documents obtained under freedom of information by the Australian Lawyers Alliance, the Department of Finance settled 23 cases relating to immigration detainees and staff between 1 July 2016 and 30 June 2017.
    In one case in Indonesia, $32,313 was awarded for personal injury in detention, while in Australia two cases were paid the total of $69,508 for wrongful detention.
    Nine cases involved detention staff, including two claims from workers on Manus Island were also compensated $69,108.
    These cases do not include what is thought to be the largest human rights settlement in Australian legal history last year, when the Commonwealth was ordered to pay $70 million, plus $20 million in legal costs.
    The settlement was approved by the Victorian Supreme Court as "a fair and reasonable sum" for the imprisonment of 1,905 men held on Manus Island between 2012 and mid-2016.
    That case was settled on June 13, and according to lawyers for Slater and Gordon about 1,000 payments are being finalised this week as the money is distributed between the group members.

It doesn’t seem to be enough to say that Dutton is a nationalist, a fascist, a xenophobe, a fear-monger, an opportunist, a misogynist, a murderer, or a balding troglodyte — he is all of these things, but he is also a believer. The force of his belief is evident in the way our contemporary politics are being shaped by his agendas; to close our borders, to conflate asylum seeking with law breaking, to advocate for ‘free speech’ that rallies against human rights, to perpetuate worn mythologies of an Australia whose citizens are afraid in perpetuity. His unyielding conviction is evident in the way both Malcolm Turnbull and George Brandis have bent the knee.

Moreover, Dutton is a popular candidate in his white, middle-class seat of Dickson. What is often lost in the galling discussion of why monstrous people are elected over and over is that while people generally value goodness, they forget that goodness is often self-sacrificial, that it can sometimes come at their own expense, that opening a door is always a risk — one that has proven more often than not, worthwhile.

https://medium.com/@karaschlegl/pete...r-3aa39f762ca9
    If you are the smartest person in the room, you are in the wrong room.

Yawn. Rabid, far left rants.

Close our borders? What a novel concept. Fancy a country's borders not being open. How silly is that?

Come on in, one and all...... it's a free living for everyone. No need to work. 10% of our population here are silly enough to pay well over half our taxation revenue. Half our population doesn't contribute to the tax burden. It's going to last forever. We lefties know that we can borrow, borrow, borrow.

Munjed Al Muderis

is a world authority on osseointegration surgery, which integrates artificial limbs into the bodies of amputees.

But not so long ago, he was an asylum seeker. He had escaped Iraq after refusing to cut off the ears of deserters from Saddam Hussein's army.
    He ended up on a boat heading for Christmas Island, then in Curtin detention centre, and at one stage stood before an Australian court facing charges of inciting a riot.
    His transition is documented in his new memoir, Walking Free.

This much is certain: he has to leave Iraq. But beyond that, he has no idea of the ordeals to come. He doesn't know that within weeks he'll be the only doctor aboard a rickety boat jammed with 150 asylum seekers sailing towards Christmas Island, tending to three women in the late stages of pregnancy, while other passengers vomit and piss over one another from seasickness.

From there he'll wind up at the Curtin Detention Centre in Western Australia's Kimberley, where he'll be stripped of his name and assigned a number - 982 - and where he'll act as an intermediary between protesting detainees and the guards, only to find it festering into a game of Russian roulette, with him being falsely accused of inciting a break-out. And he certainly doesn't know that for the first time in his life he will feel like giving up, after being thrown into Curtin's punishment unit. "Welcome to The Hotel," a guard will laugh.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...MvFwFljWsOX_dS
    If you are the smartest person in the room, you are in the wrong room.

Time to smash the train drivers union.

They are striking for a 26%+ pay increase over four years.

Scumbags

The federal public service union is another that needs busting.

In the USA, there's a tax (IRS) bureaucrat for every 2,000 people in the country. Here, we get slugged an average cost of over $165,000 each for one per 500 people. Why such a high cost? Why so many of them?

We've got over 4,500 federal health bureaucrats, costing us $222,000 each, on average.... but health is a state responsibility.

Bloody unions.... featherbedding etc.

Australia Day trolls target indigenous activist over date row

Bess Price, left, has condemned anti-Australia Day activists for fuelling cyber hate towards her daughter, Jacinta after she pushed to keep the national holiday on January 26.

Indigenous activist Jacinta Price in Alice Springs yesterday. Picture: Chloe Elrich

Former Northern Territory politician Bess Price has hit out at anti-Australia Day activists for fuelling cyber hate towards her daughter after she pushed to keep the national holiday on January 26.

The Australian revealed this morning that Indigenous Alice Springs councillor Jacinta Price has been targeted on social media since she helped former federal Labor leader Mark Latham launch a “Save Australia Day” ad campaign against those arguing it should be moved to a less contentious date.

In a Facebook post, Bess Price said the online vitriol directed at her daughter for “having a different opinion to those who want to remain in their victimhood mentality” was “disgusting”.
    “I’m appalled,” she wrote. “All the ‘Welcome to Country’, all the ‘smoking ceremonies’ and all the made up bull**** rituals about ‘pay our respects to elders past and present’ is just one big lie! Shame shame shame!”

She criticised indigenous Australians for bringing their fellow countrymen down, taking aim at former deputy NT chief minister Marion Scrymgour.

Ms Scrymgour has suggested Jacinta Price is preparing to enter federal parliament to replace Nigel Scullion as an NT senator, and stressed that opposing voices “shouldn’t be quiet”.

“The voices in the communities that she continually bad mouths should have a voice too. She is a dud and our mob can see through that,” Ms Scrymgour said in a Facebook post.

Activist targeted over date row

Jacinta Price has been subjected to a torrent of vile social media abuse from anti-Australia Day activists over her push to keep the national day on January 26, including wishing her a “painful death” and insulting her disabled nephew.

The Alice Springs councillor said she had been “disgusted to my core” by the online messages she had received, and blamed “middle-class” Australians with indigenous backgrounds for fuelling the cyber hate.

Jacinta Price said the majority of Aborigines living in remote areas did not care about the date of Australia Day nor hold grudges against “white Australians”.

Indigenous leader Warren Mundine described the abuse levelled at Ms Price as “disgraceful” and said the public debate over Australia Day was not a first-order issue for Aboriginal communities.

Greens leader Richard Di Natale yesterday stepped up the minor party’s opposition to celebrating the national day on January 26, describing it as his top issue this year and saying he had told more than 100 Greens councillors across the country they would have his full support to launch campaigns aimed at moving celebrations to another date.

Senator Di Natale said he hoped to build on the momentum of the Greens-led Yarra and Darebin councils in Melbourne and the Fremantle council in Western Australia, all of which shifted Australia Day celebrations last year.

Mr Mundine, who personally believes the date should be changed, described the Greens’ renewed push to change the date of Australia Day as a joke. “I’m with Aboriginal communities every month and changing the date isn’t number one, two, three, four, fifth on their agenda,” Mr Mundine said.

“It is education, jobs, it is to get business activity happening, and to get better healthcare.

“If the Greens were fair dinkum they would concentrate on these issues rather than something that is not going to make a difference to anyone.”

Malcolm Turnbull said yesterday said he was disappointed by growing calls to change the date of Australia Day, as the government vowed to ban citizenship ceremonies in council areas that would not hold them on January 26, the date the First Fleet arrived in Sydney Harbour.

“A free country debates its history, it does not deny it,” the Prime Minister said. “I’m disappointed by those who want to change Australia Day, seeking to take a day which unites Australia and Australians and turn it into one which will divide us. Australia Day is a day to come together and celebrate what unites us, what inspires us, what gives all of us reason to be proud that we are Australian.”

Malcolm Turnbull
    ✔@TurnbullMalcolm

A free country debates its history, it does not deny it.
    Australia Day is Australia's day - a day when we come together and celebrate our nation and all of its history.
    5:54 PM - Jan 15, 2018

Ms Price said she had received at least 80 abusive comments after posting about Australia Day on Facebook, including a message which said: “how bout you f..king die a painful death u sell out cocanut (sic)”.

She told The Australian: “A lot of them are likely to be middle class, they are definitely not from the Territory; they are from other parts of the country and it really exposes the amount of hatred and disdain that I think is hindering progress for Aboriginal people.

“It displays the divide between those that claim to be Aboriginal and Aboriginal people in remote communities.

“Bush mob just wouldn’t behave or talk in such a way.”

Mr Mundine, former chairman of the Prime Minister’s indigenous advisory council under Tony Abbott and Mr Turnbull, said he had also received abuse from “academic, educated people sitting in Sydney and Melbourne” because of his views on indigenous issues.

“It is totally disgraceful,” Mr Mundine said. “This is coming from people who claim to be against racism, who claim to be against all this bigotry and yet they come out with the most bigoted racial taunts you will see.”

Citizenship Minister Alan Tudge said it was extraordinary that the Greens had made the date of Australia Day a priority, describing the party as being out of step with mainstream Australia. “Last year elements in the NSW Greens were advocating the burning of the Australian flag,” Mr Tudge said.

“On Australia Day we rightly celebrate the three core features of Australia: our indigenous heritage, our British foundation and our multicultural character.”

Mr Abbott tweeted yesterday: “There are 364 other days a year for the Greens to be politically correct. Why can’t they just accept that Jan 26 is the best available day to celebrate all that’s good about life in Australia.”

Tony Abbott
    ✔@TonyAbbottMHR

There are 364 other days a year for the Greens to be politically correct. Why can’t they just accept that Jan 26 is the best available day to celebrate all that’s good about life in Australia.

Bill Shorten, who previously said he would not support changing the date of Australia Day, yesterday would not comment on the Greens renewed push.

In the West Australian surf and wine region of Margaret River south of Perth, Greens mayor Pamela Townshend refused to follow Senator Di Natale’s request and impose an alternate date for Australia Day.

Ms Townshend said she had listened to the views of local indigenous men and women — the Wadandi people — as part of preparations for the council’s reconciliation action plan and so far she did not sense that changing the date of Australia Day was their priority. “They haven’t said ‘You have to change the date’; I haven’t felt a big groundswell about this,” she said. “I don’t have a big political agenda over it.”

Ms Townshend will attend three free Australia Day barbecues on January 26 in the Augusta-Margaret River shire.

Ms Price said she had also been targeted by Facebook page Shut Down Australia, following reports she might enter federal parliament if Nationals senator Nigel Scullion left.

“This would mean that the modern-day blacktracker would use her comprador white supremacy agenda on Blackfellas Australia wide,” it said. “This would place thousands of our people’s lives at risk. Genocide Alert!”

Ms Price said she had no plans to enter federal politics.

Senator Scullion did not respond to questions.

(Source - Oz and AAP)

The Australian whipping up the bile as per usual.
    Grateful Dead

The Australian whipping up the bile as per usual.
    Excuse me.... I think you'll find that they are reporting on the bile whipped up by the scumbag Greens.

I'd like to know what percentage of aborigines are unhappy with the present date. I think before everyone gets hysterical about it, we ask.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Ian MacFarlane, that well known lefty in the Oz.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opin...55a7b650b3f3f9

Australia Day: let’s shift it for a truly national celebration

Illustration: Sturt Krygsman

• IAN MACFARLANE
    • The Australian
    • 12:00AM January 26, 2017

I’m not usually known as a bleeding heart, but for the first time in my quarter-century of public life, I’m going to make what some might call “bleeding-heart” comments.

As we celebrate Australia Day today and reflect on what a great nation this is, we should also pause to think about what we can do to make it greater.
    The starting point could be removing the barnacles of division over the date of Australia Day.
    Questions about Australia Day’s timing have simmered for decades but I, like many, dismissed them without much thought.
    I grew up in a generation where the Australia Day holiday was moved around like an ice-hockey puck to satisfy that great Australian tradition of having a long weekend.
    Depending on who you listen to, the Australia Day holiday wasn’t locked into January 26 until the mid-1990s.
    As a proud Australian, I revelled in the new national pride and growing patriotism of the Howard years, and was particularly pleased with the way my daughters’ generation was embracing the day in the true Aussie spirit.
    My daughters began a tradition that has continued for more than a decade, of getting their friends around to our place, filling up the Esky with stubbies of beer, diving in the pool and cranking up Triple J on our outdoor speakers until the whole neighbourhood could hear the Australia Day Hottest 100 countdown.
    Then suddenly last year there was an announcement on Triple J that 2017 would be the last Australia Day Hottest 100 because of the offence the celebration was causing to indigenous Australians.
    My first reaction? “Bloody ABC,” I thought — and not for the first time. Then Fremantle City Council announced it was cancelling its Australia Day citizenship ceremony and fireworks for this year. “Bloody latte-drinking trendies,” I thought — again not for the first time.
    Then I thought, how would my Scottish cousins feel if they had to celebrate United Kingdom day on the anniversary of the Vikings launching an amphibious attack on Arrochar, raping and pillaging, and producing Macfarlanes with blue eyes and blond hair?
    How would my mother’s forebears, the Reids, feel if the same celebration were held on the anniversary of the Battle of Culloden, where the Highlanders where cut down by English grapeshot and then the survivors hunted down and, along with their women and children, murdered?
    It was the moment I decided that as a conservative, Anglo-Celtic Australian, I want to play a part in the push to changing the date of Australia Day. I believe it is an important way to prevent a potential schism in Australia’s society and to remove a potential roadblock to reconciliation and a greater Australia.

No one argues there weren’t terrible wrongdoings against indigenous people in Australia’s past. We can’t change history but we can shape the future.
    Why do I think we should we change the date from January 26? Simple. Because not all of us feel the same way about that date.
    This is not about pleasing people, it is about uniting people. It’s about healing a wound, drawing a line, getting on with the really important issues facing our indigenous communities. It’s about stopping issues on the periphery distracting from the united, focused and concerted effort needed to fix problems in indigenous communities before they destroy themselves and diminish us as a great egalitarian nations.
    I believe that all Australians celebrating our great country on a date not associated with past wrongs can only bring us closer.
    That said, I acknowledge, as do many indigenous leaders, that this symbolic date change won’t stem the real disadvantage still suffered by many indigenous Australians. As a country we should look to the things that are working to close the gap for our indigenous brothers and sisters.
    So if not January 26, when should Australia Day be celebrated? For me the date has to be in a warm month — I just don’t think it could be Australia Day without backyard cricket, barbecues and pool parties.
    Maybe we could wait for the date Australia becomes a republic. But becoming a republic isn’t a top-tier issue, won’t change our day-to-day lives and might be years, if not decades, away. The issue we’re talking about today can’t wait.
    My vote is for March 1, commemorating the date in 1901 that the first Commonwealth Government began taking control of many of the functions formerly exercised by the colonies, including the military, the postal service and immigration. To me, it’s the day that represents Australians coming together as one nation under one government.
    All right, I know it’s not technically summer, but it is close enough — particularly if you live in Queensland, like I do.
    I’m proud of my heritage, proud of where I’ve come from and where I am now, and proud to be an Australian. I hope that some day soon everyone in this great land can feel the same and all proudly celebrate it together on one day.
    So let’s get on with it, scrape off this barnacle and work together to succeed on the big challenges and make Australia even greater.
    Happy Australia Day.
    This is an edited extract from former cabinet minister Ian Macfarlane’s keynote speech at Australian Unity’s Great Australia Day Breakfast in Melbourne.

Last edited by PeterSibley; 01-16-2018 at 02:50 AM.
    Grateful Dead

I'd like to know what percentage of aborigines are unhappy with the present date. I think before everyone gets hysterical about it, we ask.
    It's 11% of Australians.... I can't tell you how many are left-handers, Calathumpians or anything else. I know some Indonesian-born Australians who are happy with the date.

btw... I reckon if England hadn't planted the flag here way back when, I reckon that by now there'd be a white over red flag flying here by now. I doubt you'd be seeing any subsidiary flag flying beside it.

It's 11% of Australians.... I can't tell you how many are left-handers, Calathumpians or anything else. I know some Indonesian-born Australians who are happy with the date.

btw... I reckon if England hadn't planted the flag here way back when, I reckon that by now there'd be a white over red flag flying here by now. I doubt you'd be seeing any subsidiary flag flying beside it.
    No, what percentage of aborigines would like it changed?

No, what percentage of aborigines would like it changed?
    Aren't they Australians?

and presumably, you didn't read my earlier post?

This, from it....

Jacinta Price said the majority of Aborigines living in remote areas did not care about the date of Australia Day nor hold grudges against “white Australians”.