Page 551 of 765 FirstFirst ... 51451501541550551552561601651 ... LastLast
Results 19,251 to 19,285 of 26754

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

Hugh White on Saturday Extra RN this morning discussing China ,the USA and our position .Interesting if not reassuring .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Yes, just listened. Hoped to be sailing but no wind at all.

Obeid's girl didn't get up. Oh dear, how sad.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

You are such a child sometimes.
    No maybe more than sometimes, still with parliament as an example……………….

She was a long shot, I thought he'd get back, and anyhow the result is what you might call natural justice. I would have voted for him.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    You are such a child sometimes.
    No maybe more than sometimes, still with parliament as an example……………….

She was a long shot, I thought he'd get back, and anyhow the result is what you might call natural justice. I would have voted for him.
    Beats being a silly old bugger (to quote a former Prime Minister), with no sense of humour.

I suppose I should add.... not that I'd suggest YOU were a silly old bugger with no sense of humour, after all, you display it here all the time - there's nothing but optimistic posts from you, all the time.
    Last edited by The Bigfella; 12-16-2017 at 08:00 AM.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

My sense of humour is much leavened by my frequently reinforced cynicism. There is however an advantage, nothing much shocks when you already allow that humans are a much flawed, and self destructive species………………… with mitigating traits.
    And frankly I don't see much grounds for optimism, medium term forget long term.
    Here, look at this...
    http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...07-h010kh.html

Think like a rock.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 12-16-2017 at 03:28 PM.

[QUOTE]An apocalypse slotted neatly between Richmond premierships.[/QUOTE]
    that bit sums it up for me.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Best photo I've seen for ages. Shorten and Keneally celebrating defeat

Good losers.
    Grateful Dead

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/harold-holt-the-australian-prime-minister-who-disappeared

Harold Holt drove his maroon Pontiac to Cheviot Beach, just outside Melbourne, on 17 December 1967. It was a Sunday morning and Australia’s 17th prime minister was unwinding after wrapping up his first full year in office.

After watching British round-the-world sailor Alec Rose arriving at Port Phillip Bay, with a group of friends, Mr Holt suggested they head for a swim before lunch.
    The 59-year-old Liberal leader had a holiday home in Portsea. He loved spearfishing and was a keen swimmer and diver. He said he knew Cheviot Beach – one of his favourite spots – like the “back of his hand”. But the conditions that day were especially rough.
    An undated image from the home videos of Harold Holt.
    National Archives of Australia

Those he was with described the tide as “very high” and the surf as “very turbulent”. One acquaintance, Martin Simpson, said the strong undercurrent was enough to stop him going in past his knees. Regardless, the prime minister changed into his swimmers and waded into the water. He was seen swimming out to sea before suddenly disappearing.
    Marjorie Gillespie, Mr Holt’s neighbour and girlfriend of Mr Simpson, witnessed what happened. She described it as “like a leaf being taken out”. “It was so quick and so final,” she said.
    A massive rescue operation began, with dive teams sent out and spotters with binoculars scanning the water from the shore. By evening, nearly 200 people were searching for the prime minister.
    Five days later, the search was scaled down. His body was never found.
    "He's remembered as the bloke who drowned," Australian National University political historian Professor Nicholas Brown said earlier this month.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Good losers.
    and I wish them many more such events

Malcolm will be learning how . It's going to be close.

Grateful Dead

Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Malcolm will be learning how . It's going to be close.

Oh, you're back to being a fan of two party preferred now, are you - or is this just a moment of opportunity? Whatever it takes, eh?

I was on the Sorrento front beach that day, Reg Ansett's helio was on the scene first I think. Of course Harold was on the beach with one of his 'girlfriends', Zara was in Melbourne or Sydney I think. Likely that's why no one else was. Of course there as no or little security, Harold would occasionally be seen in the shops with no one in attendance.

I was on the Sorrento front beach that day, Reg Ansett's helio was on the scene first I think. Of course Harold was on the beach with one of his 'girlfriends', Zara was in Melbourne or Sydney I think. Likely that's why no one else was. Of course there as no or little security, Harold would occasionally be seen in the shops with no one in attendance.
    Comrade Gough rang me some years back and we had an extended conversation about what was in Harold's briefcase that day.

btw, Zara was at The Lodge, with a house guest.

Bloody horrible ! I saw some on the box but it's HARD watching.
    Grateful Dead

it confirms a fair bit of what I already knew.

Same here but it must have been a nightmare for everyone involved.
    Grateful Dead

I'm not going near it, too close to the bone. And has anyone learned anything since?

Iraq is the answer to that and we're there too.
    Grateful Dead

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

15th century solutions to contemporary problems.
    The lag in our adaption beggars belief. Frank and his creationist howlings are almost rational when you think of it.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

We are so deeply enmeshed with the Americans, if only by Pine Gap, that they may not allow us to become in any way independent.

Pine Gap makes us responsible and joined at the hip.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    15th century solutions to contemporary problems.
    The lag in our adaption beggars belief. Frank and his creationist howlings are almost rational when you think of it.
    Possibly a bridge too far but I do get your point.

Wow, News Poll evidently say that if Xenophon runs a full team he could win government in SA. His party has out polled both majors so it is impossible to give a 2 party preferred result.

"Nick Xenophon is almost twice as popular as South Australian Labor Premier Jay Weatherill and *Liberal Opposition Leader Steven Marshall, according to a leaked poll five months out from the next state election.The departing senator, who will stand in the state seat of Hartley, is on track to achieve his goal of being a kingmaker at the March election, with a privately commissioned Galaxy poll putting his party SA Best in a tight race with the Liberal Party and ahead of Labor.
    The statewide poll of 806 voters last week shows the Liberals on a primary vote of 31 per cent. Senator Xenophon’s SA Best is running a close second at 30 per cent. Labor, which has been in power in South Australia since 2002, is trailing with a primary vote of just 26 per cent.
    Senator Xenophon is ahead as preferred premier, with 41 per cent support, while Mr Weatherill and Mr Marshall have both slumped to just 21 per cent, about half the SA Best leader’s support."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...ac4999e2a39d96

That will put the cat amongst the pigeons !! We will watch with interest. SA seems to be the home of innovation.
    Grateful Dead

A non Liberal or Labor state government, that prospect is probably almost enough to push the Libs and Labor into a coalition.

They have a lot in common, they both love King Coal.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    A non Liberal or Labor state government, that prospect is probably almost enough to push the Libs and Labor into a coalition.
    Too late Gary, I noted this morning the Education Minister (Lib SA) advocating a vote for either major over Nick's mob. The duopoly of Aussie politics has become very sensitive these days and combine they will in an instant if an 'outsider' looks like gaining some real share of the power. They have a handy little sinecure going and won't like it being disturbed.

Amazing how their idealogical differences disappear when a 3rd party threatens.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Who is he taking votes from - both parties?
    He is Liberal lite - so he's well placed to push out the majors each side of him.

Still a tad too far to the right for me, but glad to see the majors have their cage rattled.
    How many seats could he get in Canberra? That'd be interesting, one State having the balance of power at federal level. How much GST would SA get then....
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Too late Gary, I noted this morning the Education Minister (Lib SA) advocating a vote for either major over Nick's mob. The duopoly of Aussie politics has become very sensitive these days and combine they will in an instant if an 'outsider' looks like gaining some real share of the power. They have a handy little sinecure going and won't like it being disturbed.
    Thus Mr X and the Greens are the True enemy of both.
    Grateful Dead

Grateful Dead