Page 538 of 552 FirstFirst ... 38438488528537538539548 ... LastLast
Results 18,796 to 18,830 of 19317

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Explain to me how under the letter of the law Pat Dodson renounces an unknown possible heritage. To whom does he address the formal renunciation? Do you have results of formal enquiries to a foreign nation that identify Snowy? The Dodson family don't.
    Tell that to the framers of the Constitution. Some similarities with other cases, where changes to overseas laws, after the relevant people (ie parents) had come here, have meant that their children were ruled ineligible. Tough, isn't it?

Half the Parliament might be affected in the same sort of ways.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Gone I'd say. I have sympathy with her position re her father though.

What a mess. It seems that section 44 was honoured mostly in the breech.
    Who started the rot? Someone in WA after Ludlum's demise wasn't it? Who fingered Ludlum? One rumour says 'a Labour operative'.

Meantime back in the real world……………….

Unpleasant lot aint they?
    Gone I'd say also.

Can't say I have the same sympathy. As poorly crafted as Section 44 is, it does give people a clear path to entering Parliament - renounce any national allegience other than to Oz. Can't say I see it as hard as rocket surgery to get to grips with. Regardless of whether it's to your family historical situation, prior residency, place of birth, whatever. It's Oz or nothing if you want to rule the place. In this case all the rep is saying is she had difficulty making a choice between her father's heritage and representing Oz. Fine, clear choice, simple answer. Saying it's too hard doesn't cut it.

Rewrite the relevant bits of the Constitution if you think it's warranted. In the meantime, comply. In my view the High Court time is being wasted having any of this to sift through. Being found in this position shows a level of slackness to detail that should preclude entry to Parliament, in my view. Who cares what party or group they are in.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Tell that to the framers of the Constitution. Some similarities with other cases, where changes to overseas laws, after the relevant people (ie parents) had come here, have meant that their children were ruled ineligible. Tough, isn't it?

Half the Parliament might be affected in the same sort of ways.
    Can't or won't answer my question????
    Last edited by brucemoffatt; 11-10-2017 at 07:21 AM.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

I don't think, given the decision, that a general renunciation of any other citizenship present or potential under an act of the Australian Parliament would be adequate, they have to be specific. And it's hard to be specific if an ancestors nationality is unknown. There's a few I have known whose father was 'unknown' officially. And what of a person who finds out by DNA testing an inconvenient genealogy?
    Last edited by skuthorp; 11-10-2017 at 07:33 AM.

Can't or won't answer my question????
    It's not for me to answer the questions. The questions are irrelevant - unless someone refers him to the High Court. Same, same, but different for the rest of them too.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Just as a matter of interest, I've shared a glass or several of red with one of those caught up in all of this. Skewered by it. No fault of that person (unlike the example I gave earlier). We lost a good person from politics through it.

I don't think, given the decision, that a general renunciation of any other citizenship present or potential under an act of the Australian Parliament would be adequate, they have to be specific. And it's hard to be specific if an ancestors nationality is unknown. There's a few I have known whose father was 'unknown' officially. And what of a person who finds out by DNA testing an inconvenient genealogy?
    Correct that a general renunciation would not be adequate, nor would it be possible under the current situation. Hence my comments to bloviator re Dodson. But if the background is known and not acted on, it's simply negligence. Given the current situation that appears to be the case.

I think it's also true that a referendum for an amendment would fail.

The solution is for those seeking to rule to do the research and make their decisions. The current position is not more complicated than simple negligence.

Sent from my HUAWEI CUN-L02 using Tapatalk
    Paperback E-book

It's not for me to answer the questions. The questions are irrelevant - unless someone refers him to the High Court. Same, same, but different for the rest of them too.
    He can't be referred to the high court without supporting argument. A vague unsupported notion about a range of possible options will not get a hearing there.

Paperback E-book

Correct that a general renunciation would not be adequate, nor would it be possible under the current situation. Hence my comments to bloviator re Dodson. But if the background is known and not acted on, it's simply negligence. Given the current situation that appears to be the case.

I think it's also true that a referendum for an amendment would fail.

The solution is for those seeking to rule to do the research and make their decisions. The current position is not more complicated than simple negligence.

That'd be Mr Pied Piping Bloviator to you, Junior.

The current situation, as you call it, includes many people who were not aware of it until the retroactive granting of citizenship privileges to parents and, by descent, them, by overseas nations became prominent. Some cases of negligence and/or calculated risk exist. Others, such as Dodson, are unfortunate, but, as some have said.... letter of the law. There's significant doubt about Dodson. He should resolve that doubt or resign. The onus is on him to ensure that there is no doubt.

Sent from my bed, with love and best wishes, using hardware bought with funds derived from work for a business owned by a Sheik, with software purchased from Bill Gates, whilst keeping an eye on what Uncle Rupert has to say.

He can't be referred to the high court without supporting argument. A vague unsupported notion about a range of possible options will not get a hearing there.

Hey Junior

I've addressed the first part of this post of yours below, or above, depending on how you view the forum.

Re the second part - your advertising statement. Are you aware of the views of the security and defence establishments with respect to Chinese hardware? You might want to, for example, check on why DJI drones are no longer allowed to be used by Defence PR.

Sent from my bed, with love and best wishes, using hardware bought with funds derived from work for a business owned by a Sheik, with software purchased from Bill Gates, whilst keeping an eye on what Uncle Rupert has to say.

I note attention has turned to those that may have acquired a citizenship entitlement by marriage.

Curiouser and curiouser.

From BF: "The current situation, as you call it, includes many people who were not aware of it until the retroactive granting of citizenship privileges to parents and, by descent, them, by overseas nations became prominent."

I have heard that '44 is such that if another country gave blanket citizenship to all Aussie Fed members of parliament tomorrow, they'd all be disenfranchised.
    Surely not?

I note that Dutton is now accusing the Manus detainees of drug dealing.
    And the new BF fleet of Cape Class boats are having modifications done by Austel owing to difficulties in launching small craft.
    A local forum member may have some idea but likely cannot say anything.

I note that Dutton is now accusing the Manus detainees of drug dealing.
    And the new BF fleet of Cape Class boats are having modifications done by Austel owing to difficulties in launching small craft.
    A local forum member may have some idea but likely cannot say anything.
    In the post before this, you used BF to introduce a quote from a post of mine. Am I now the owner of the Cape Class fleet?

I was wrong. It wasn't Labor that started this. It was a Greens voter. Trust Uncle Rupe to provide the real story:

Barrister John Cameron doesn’t come across as a zealot. When the bearded 78-year-old isn’t meeting clients for the few pro bono cases he chooses to take on, he’s dressed in shorts and sweatshirt, walking several kilometres a day as part of a solitary fitness regime.

But there’s no doubting his almost religious zeal for upholding constitutional law, or the political havoc he has unleashed since outing Scott Ludlam as a dual citizen in July.

There are more twists than a game of Snakes and Ladders to the story of this intensely private Perth barrister, who like Ludlam was born in New Zealand.

Anyone familiar with his career knows his nature — dogged, persistent and usually on the side of the underdog. So why his obsession with investigating the citizenship status of parliamentarians?

Cameron says it’s simply a point of principle, not personal malice or the “witch hunt” that Malcolm Turnbull described last week as a conga line of MPs stepped forward to admit their eligibility status was unclear.

By way of explanation, he offers a quote from 17th-century historian Thomas Fuller. “Be ye ever so high, the law is always above thee.”

If the Constitution requires a parliamentarian to have taken all reasonable steps to renounce foreign citizenship, “they should have done so”, he says bluntly. Any MP caught out on citizenship was “knowingly reckless — they didn’t check”.

Cameron has carved out an idiosyncratic career in New Zealand, Fiji and Australia, where he arrived in the late 1980s to assist the Royal Commission into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody.

He’s fought for compensation for an Aboriginal woman who suffered burns while in prison and acted for asylum-seekers marooned in Australia’s detention centres.

He says he never set out to topple the careers, domino-like, of federal MPs, let alone destabilise a government.

It was just that his intimate knowledge of constitutional law — and perhaps his own conscious decision to retain his dual citizenship — preyed on his mind when he observed dozens of MPs with eligibility he considered suspect. It was why, earlier this year, with a bit of time on his hands, he asked the New Zealand Department of Internal Affairs to search its register in relation to Ludlam and senator Derryn Hinch. “I expected the ‘Human Headline’ may not have done it and Mr Ludlam would have done it,” Cameron says, “but it was the other way around.”

Cameron had last year voted for Ludlam — he quips it was “because he’s a fellow Kiwi” — but the Greens senator was not spared once the barrister became aware of his dual citizenship. He contacted a Greens acquaintance and told him he had discovered Ludlam was still formally registered as a citizen in New Zealand. If so, wasn’t his dual citizenship in breach of section 44 of the Constitution? Ludlam resigned 48 hours later.

Cameron has rarely spoken on the record to the media. He did so with The Australian
    on the day Ludlam stepped down, but now is prepared to disclose his actions spanning several years.

The story that precedes that fateful toppling of the first domino is a fascinating one. Cameron has claimed political victims before and he may claim several more. His bid for clarity began on August 12, 2010, with a simple email request to the British Home Office.

“Folks, do your records show that either of the following Australian citizens has renounced his/her British nationality? Julia Eileen Gillard, born Wales, 29 September 1961. Anthony John Abbott, born London, 4 November 1957. Thanks, John Cameron.”

The British official ordered to give a response may not have realised the two names were those of Australia’s newly installed first female prime minister and the Liberal opposition leader who had failed to win government.

Eleven days later, a reply came back from the UK Border Agency, Correspondence and Enquiry Team. “Dear John, Thank you for your inquiry. There is no record on our system, which goes back to October 1986, of a record of renunciation in the details you have provided.”

Cameron says he was intrigued. He sent the email to the leader of the House of Representatives, to Gillard and Abbott directly, and to successive federal attorneys-general. When, after several years, he failed to receive a reply, he turned to the High Court, seeking access to the only legitimate documents he says would confirm that Abbott and Gillard — or any MP in their situation — had indeed renounced their British citizenship.

According to the British Home Office, only “the copy of the (RN1) application form, which is officially signed and stamped to show that the declaration has been registered, will be formal evidence of the applicant’s renunciation”.

Last week Gillard repeated her statement that she had renounced British citizenship in order to stand for the Senate in 1996. She was unsuccessful in that election but was then elected to the seat of Lalor in 1998.

“What my personal experience shows is that more than two decades ago the Australian Labor Party was giving accurate advice to candidates on issues regarding eligibility to stand for federal parliament,” she tweeted.

In July this year, Abbott released a letter from the British high commission stating “that our records show that you renounced British citizenship on 12 October 1993”. He became an Australian citizen by naturalisation on June 26, 1981.

But Cameron says while that may be true, neither has publicly produced the only credible evidence — the stamped and dated applicant’s copy of the RN1 — that each would have received if their application for renunciation had been granted.

Without that form, he says, it is not possible to disregard the UK Border Authority email informing him it held no record of either person having renounced their British citizenship acquired by birth.

In 2013, with Abbott as opposition leader, Gillard announced elections would be held in September. Having exhausted all other avenues — and given the Home Office email was technically inadmissable in court — Cameron applied to the High Court for an order directing Gillard and Abbott to produce their RN1 forms.

In written submissions, Cameron claimed: “The electors could be faced with a choice for prime minister, between two candidates neither of whom may be capable under section 44 of the Constitution … of being chosen or sitting as a member of the House of Representatives.”

Judge Kenneth Hayne dismissed his request as “frivolous, vexatious, and an abuse of process”. That finding was confirmed by Susan Kiefel, now Chief Justice, and judge Patrick Keane.

Cameron has not been deterred. He says he is waiting for a response to further requests he has put to the Home Office, and appeals against denial of information lodged with the UK Information Commissioner.

He is no timid adversary; he has claimed scalps before in the pursuit of what he would claim is good governance and a voter’s right to know. While working as a barrister in Fiji in 1995, he was asked by Fiji’s opposition party to look into the citizenship status of a newly installed minister for Fijian affairs, Adi Samanuna Cakobau.

Cameron ascertained from the British high commission that she was a dual UK citizen at the time of her nomination.

She was forced to resign her portfolio and her seat.

She was closely followed by another; her successor to the ministerial job she had vacated was also revealed to be a British citizen. He too was forced to stand aside.

Cameron would say he’s carried out his duty to ensure Australia is “a country of laws”, not one in which the law is “viewed through the prism of ambition”.

He’s still waiting for formal evidence relating to several MPs who inherited British citizenship.

“I’m not interested in statements,” he says when asked if Gillard and Abbott’s declared renunciations are enough. “I’m only interested in evidence.”

So, a private individual...... not a party functionary?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    So, a private individual...... not a party functionary?
    Can't you read?

I had heard it was a lawyer originally but the waters became somewhat politically muddied, thanks Ian.

Witch hunt or not, he did have a point in law. I suppose the next job will be for the HC again, deciding if previous governments and their legislation were legit. and the consequences if not. And that may depend on the same lawyer and how far he wishes to go.
    I wonder would an 'omnibus bill' covering all old legislation be adequate, or would individual bills have to be listed?
    Hopefully it will not come to that!

One would like to think that this situation would be beyond partisan politicking. Sadly not.

BTW it seems the Nats/LNP are going to preference One Nation ahead of Labour and the Greens last. Could set up a minority LNP govt. and in the long run another big labor majority next time round. Has happened before.
    Short term gain and long term pain.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 11-10-2017 at 04:45 PM.

Can't you read?
    Better than you apparently.
    Grateful Dead

Hey Junior

I've addressed the first part of this post of yours below, or above, depending on how you view the forum.

Re the second part - your advertising statement. Are you aware of the views of the security and defence establishments with respect to Chinese hardware? You might want to, for example, check on why DJI drones are no longer allowed to be used by Defence PR.

I have no awareness, nor any need for awareness, of any view of security and defence establishments, nor do I have any interest in Defence PR use of drones. No idea why you seem to think otherwise.
    Paperback E-book

I have no awareness, nor any need for awareness, of any view of security and defence establishments, nor do I have any interest in Defence PR use of drones. No idea why you seem to think otherwise.

'nuff said.

'nuff said.
    ?? How on earth does that affect security and defence establishments????? or are you just bloviating for effect.

Speaking of which, Dodson is still fine.

Alexander has resigned and will renounce British citizenship so he can re-contest Bennelong. Now that wasn't difficult, was it?
    Paperback E-book

..and on that subject, much mirth over a bottle or two tonight at a street BBQ re the possibilities. Adopted children, those born as a result of illicit 'liaisons', and the best yet, those born as the result of a 'foreign' sperm donor!

So it's parliamentary MAD is it? Both sides with a further list and threats of referrals to the HC.
    Meanwhile both leaders have abysmal ratings, but labour is well ahead in the polls.

I doubt there's a voter in the country that thinks anything in this is a reasonable way of dealing with the carelessness of the admin wings of the parties. And that despite the legal situation.

And the TPP, without China and the US? I'm not fussed about sections of the deal involving loss of sovereignty myself.

I think Stevebaby would have been enjoying all this nonsense.

I would have thought any politician with any brains would have checked their own citizenship status as soon as this fiasco kicked off?
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I would have thought any politician with any brains would have checked their own citizenship status as soon as this fiasco kicked off?
    No No, it's all Labor's fault, I heard Malcolm or was it Morrison tell me so?
    Grateful Dead

Checking yes. Putting own hand up, no.

Paperback E-book

This mass self-destruction by the players, exploiting a weakness in the Constitution that was intended to provide strength, seems to me to be a triumph of slackness and stupidity against all odds.

Compliance is trivial, apart from the rare exceptional case. But this wave of non-compliance, the bluff and bluster, the puffed-up popinjays with their faux-rage that hardly disguises their own vulnerabilities - it shows how arrogant, how stupid, how weak this current bunch of lunatics really are.

It gets me hot, hot enough to post in The Bilge for Pete's sake, because by displaying such levels of weakness they open the doors to even worse lunatics from the political edges to come in and take over the big parties, and lead the dumb masses down the paths of extreme politics. We have reports (search the news outlets) of religious groups quietly populating sub-branches in Victoria in readiness for a major spill of preselections. What else is happening below the line that we aren't yet aware of? All because we have no effective political leadership at any level in any party.

Australian politics is looking at the madness elsewhere in the world and getting ready to say "Here, hold me beer."
    Paperback E-book

^

Yes indeed.

I wonder how many pollies through the ages have been dual citizens - i'd bet a huge number. People didn't consider Britain to be a foreign power, that seems to be a recent development.
    i bet its always been a problem, but nobody paid any attention.

Its a dumb law, it should be deleted and not replaced with another law that will be anachronistic in 20 years time.

As for inviting the lunatic fringe to the party - thats the result of agressive partisanship. Everyone is fleeing to the edges to find an advantage. The biggest advantages at the moment are in exclusion, not inclusion. That tells us about those who vote - not those voted for. I blame myself! i voted for the science party! Bunch of lunatic fringe dwellers.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge” - Charles Darwin (1809–1882)

Nutshell Pram Build pictures ; https://photos.app.goo.gl/1GdBcckcgBAWsbVg1

http://www.scienceparty.org.au/

Science & Technology
    Double research funding to $18.4bn
    Create an Australian space agency
    Legalise driverless car testing
    Increase health research to end aging
    Education
    Implement Gonski reforms
    Computer programming in schools
    Support disadvantaged schools
    Publicly funded extension school
    Rights
    Close offshore detention centres
    Marriage equality
    Decriminalise drug use
    Treaty with Indigenous Australia
    Good government
    Transparent, open government
    Whistleblower protection
    End metadata retention
    Secularism
    Economy
    Remove 50% capital gains tax discount
    Replace stamp duty with land tax
    Remove superannuation tax loopholes
    Affordable childcare for all
    Environment & Infrastructure
    Renewable energy
    Carbon emissions trading scheme
    Promote density to improve house prices
    Bullet train: BNE-SYD-MEL

Sounds good to me !
    Grateful Dead

George Brandis talking of standards and principles?

Who'd a thunk that?

Meanwhile the circus continues……………. Lambie is up next………...

And http://www.scienceparty.org.au/
    It certainly does Peter.

Gypsie: 18823
    I think it only surfaced after the act was changed in the 80's and the government (Hawke I think) didn't, or couldn't clean up because that would have required a referendum, or because they didn't know they had to.

I have posted a history of 44 earlier in this discussion.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 11-13-2017 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    http://www.scienceparty.org.au/

Science & Technology
    Double research funding to $18.4bn
    Create an Australian space agency
    Legalise driverless car testing
    Increase health research to end aging
    Education
    Implement Gonski reforms
    Computer programming in schools
    Support disadvantaged schools
    Publicly funded extension school
    Rights
    Close offshore detention centres
    Marriage equality
    Decriminalise drug use
    Treaty with Indigenous Australia
    Good government
    Transparent, open government
    Whistleblower protection
    End metadata retention
    Secularism
    Economy
    Remove 50% capital gains tax discount
    Replace stamp duty with land tax
    Remove superannuation tax loopholes
    Affordable childcare for all
    Environment & Infrastructure
    Renewable energy
    Carbon emissions trading scheme
    Promote density to improve house prices
    Bullet train: BNE-SYD-MEL

Sounds good to me !
    I’d vote for them.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Lambie is gone. Pity that especially, an occasional loose cannon is good for the parliament as far as I can see.

Lambie has the almost unique, in politics, attribute of being able to learn, and thence to upgrade her position based on better knowledge. I've been in agreement with her more often than I've been comfortable to admit to myself, given some of the things she has said. I don't know that I could vote for her, but I'd like to meet her.

Sent from my super secure secret squirrel device
    Paperback E-book

Now this has me thinking that there is a real probability that many MP's and PM's where dual citizens ..............Menzies? Hawk? At least 7 migrated to good old oz: https://www.moadoph.gov.au/blog/7-pm...-to-australia/
    I wonder What's the likely hood of laws passed by parliaments, where it can be established there is a "dual citizen" problem, being challenged?
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

Parliament itself won't touch that Hallam, but that WA lawyer might………………...