Page 503 of 808 FirstFirst ... 3403453493502503504513553603 ... LastLast
Results 17,571 to 17,605 of 28262

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

Feds have announced a big health programme re Malaria, and the appearance of a 'super' Malaria recently. Due partly to the indiscriminate and inadequate use of existing remedies. The last time the Malaria drugs failed, for much the same reasons, millions died in Africa as a direct result.
    The ambition is to eliminate Malaria from the Mekong Delta, a very big ask indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Feds have announced a big health programme re Malaria, and the appearance of a 'super' Malaria recently. Due partly to the indiscriminate and inadequate use of existing remedies. The last time the Malaria drugs failed, for much the same reasons, millions died in Africa as a direct result.
    The ambition is to eliminate Malaria from the Mekong Delta, a very big ask indeed.
    That would be a magnificent gift ! Resistant malaria could render huge areas uninhabitable.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

4 corners.

Pollution of aquifers by dept. defence firefighters. They knew, or should have known.
    Pople being expendable they didn't care.

Didn't care or incompetent, the results are the same.
    Grateful Dead

I don't buy incompetent, not for a second. And it Sounds a lot like the Agent Orange cover up. From then programme I reckon they knew from quite close to the beginning, quite apart from the failure of duty of care the actual design of these places was, to say the least, inadequate.
    The defence department has either been experimenting with the people they are commissioned to protect, or they are actually regarded as irrelevant.

You're probably right, defense has a history of this .
    Grateful Dead

Re Nick's new party and the sacking of a candidate within a week.
    I reckon this is just the beginning as peoples facebook history catches up with them. Some teen sexting a few years ago might find their political ambitions dead in the water before it starts

Maybe participators in facebook should be disqualified from standing for public office? Being stupid is not illegal of course, but there are enough of that ilk in parliament already.

Nothing neccesarily wrong with sexting. It's only when people allow themselves to be embarrassed about it that they become vulnerable. I saw a brilliant post on facebookmthe other day by a woman who had had a tinder date with some slime ball, who then threatened to post a semi naked photo of her on the web unless she paid him money. So she put the photo up on Facebook along with his name and details of his attempt to blackmail her. Job done. A bit like the bad old days when being outed as a homosexual ended lives and careers.

Anyway, I'll shut up now as I have disclosed that I am a Facebook user, and therefore apparently stupid.

Well I for one think the risks of disclosing yourself to a private business, and an unaccountable one at that is silly.
    I presume though that your exposure is in relation to your business?

I note this morning that "a private defence contractor has been hacked and a large amount of data stolen"
    So much for the security of their latest mooted data base of everyones driving licence details and photo's. Mass identity theft in the making.

"Anyway, I'll shut up now as I have disclosed that I am a Facebook user, and therefore apparently stupid."
    Facebook et al makes a Secret Police redundant. I amend that to 'unwise'.

"Those who trade security for freedoms will have neither".

Let's talk boats. Old mate has the irrits over on the boat thread because someone mentioned politics.

Anyone been sailing lately?

OK I can't resist.....did anyone see Q&A last night?

How the Greens can keep up the nonsense about renewable being cheaper than fossil fuel for electricity production is beyond me, yet nobody picks them up on it. Now before you scold me for being a climate change denier I do agree with a transition to non carbon power however the transition must not destroy our economy. The rush to subsidise renewables in the name of populist politics gets under my skin not to mention paying the highest cost for electricity in the world today. The way we are going there won't be a need for the last one out to turn the lights off because the last one out will be broke!

And no I haven't been sailing lately too busy trying to make enough to pay the power bill.

Yes Ian in the Sailfish. Or should I say on? BTW the water is a bit chilly…………...

Meanwhile on the climate change front it seems that it will do more good than bad according to guru Tony in a far off land. And according to guru Craig Kelly 2 degrees is positively good news…………………..as long as it doesn't go over that.
    Meantime the price of sacrificial goats has just gone up…………..

Quote Originally Posted by m2c1Iw View Post
    OK I can't resist.....did anyone see Q&A last night?

How the Greens can keep up the nonsense about renewable being cheaper than fossil fuel for electricity production is beyond me, yet nobody picks them up on it. Now before you scold me for being a climate change denier I do agree with a transition to non carbon power however the transition must not destroy our economy. The rush to subsidise renewables in the name of populist politics gets under my skin not to mention paying the highest cost for electricity in the world today. The way we are going there won't be a need for the last one out to turn the lights off because the last one out will be broke!

And no I haven't been sailing lately too busy trying to make enough to pay the power bill.
    I recommend some energy efficiency measure. We have 3 adults and 2 teenagers in our house hold and our daily electricity is 5 kwhrs. Apparently the average for our area for 3 adults and 2 kids is 15 kw hrs.

We hardly notice the bill.
    Grateful Dead

Grateful Dead

And Phil thinks I'm a bit harsh when I call politicians criminals! Actually I think that's rather mild.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I recommend some energy efficiency measure. We have 3 adults and 2 teenagers in our house hold and our daily electricity is 5 kwhrs. Apparently the average for our area for 3 adults and 2 kids is 15 kw hrs.

We hardly notice the bill.
    Peter I agree we can all do more to reduce our energy consumption. My issue is the severe price change over a short time period.
    The business I'm involved in experienced monthly electricity bill going from $3,000 average to $7,000 in the space of 12 months despite changing all lighting to LED. Businesses are falling over left right and centre under the weight of energy costs in SA.

What has been missing is the plan to manage the generation supply during the move to renewables, leaving it to the market was always going to be a disaster in Oz with so few generators. What is the incentive to supply more power capacity in a declining market, better to limit supply and push up the price.

It's more complicated than that but it's also plain that the Board's of generators are not going to invest in base load coal or any other expensive and uncertain systems in the current political climate. Seems to me governments state and federal will need to commit funds directly into base load generation instead of subsidising renewables.

Interesting SA govt is forced/panicked into spending $500m on base load gas (diesel to start with until the gas can be hooked up) with the prospect of an election next year and summer blackouts in between. No discussion not debate just plonk some gen sets in pronto. It's back to the future or the 50's when Playford built coal generation because the private generators would not fund the projects needed.

Even when it became plain that the volume of subsidised power coming on stream would pressure the coal generators and they would not continue the subsidies continued now the taxpayer is funding direct intervention, it's a weird, weird world.

A few years ago the gas was regarded as a waste product, just burnt off or more or less given away I can remember though as far back as the 70's people protesting at the waste. Bad gas policy was and is a bipartisan affair.
    Your comment re Government having to build coal fired power stations is ironic as they all were built by public money, and sold off for mostly electoral advantages. Again a bi-partisan affair.
    I think under present contract arrangements any gas mined could just be sold off shore, any change would involve another party, the government, to mine on-shore gas not already discovered by the present big 3 and distribute it. And there's the rub in Victoria, it's an "if" situation. If new gas can be found. Oh it's been looked for, thoroughly, but not found by the big 3.

I think the biggest efficiency for us is solar hot water, it sure beats keeping 100 liters of water at 60C 24/7.
    Grateful Dead

The business community wants stable energy policy, the current chaos is not conducive to investment.
    Grateful Dead

The subsidies are there already, have been for years, just directed at amongst others coal.
    http://reneweconomy.com.au/coal-prod...-a-year-77543/

Brown Coal in Victoria has been propped up for years, and some of the power it produced sold at a loss to Comalco at Portland via a power line that was well known to be pork at the time it was built. The price charged was subsidised by the same taxpayers who used it to cook dinner.

Decisions on prices have always been made on political grounds, not practical even when the state owned the resource mine to switch.

The business community wants stable energy policy, the current chaos is not conducive to investment.
    Ah but the government here and I note federal are spending more of our money on media telling how clever and forward thinking they are on energy, galling.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XcRcaXNLUg

They are fighting an election they are on track to lose. Spending the money where they think it will best advantage them. It's not so much about facts and actions but about perceptions and reassurance.

The other input into increased prices for power that seems to have been forgotten recently was the spending splurge on "poles and wires", infrastructure that was unneeded but built anyway and that we are paying for.
    Grateful Dead

"Shut down the sources of baseload power and the price of power rises dramatically. And dramatic rises in power prices damage industry and shred jobs."
    Agreed, but there hasn't been a power industry policy since Tony dumped Gillards. And the old coal stations were more or less obsolete already. At least here in Vic a Lib. govt had sold off the SEC and Gas and Fuel to profit making interests and they were never going to build new plant.

Ah yes Peter, the Gold Plated poles and wires infrastructure scheme, and scheme it was.
    "
    Electricity prices are being *pushed higher by government revenue-boosting policies over the past 10 years and the increased market power of generators and retailers, says Australian Competition & Consumer Commission chairman Rod Sims.In his first comments on what is driving up prices since Scott Morrison commissioned an ACCC inquiry into electricity *affordability, Mr Sims will tell a Brisbane conference today that along with higher gas prices, deregulation and privatisation over the past 10 years have been major contributors to power price hikes and increased generator concentration."
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...a85d6e1ee89c6b
    Last edited by skuthorp; 10-10-2017 at 06:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    The subsidies are there already, have been for years, just directed at amongst others coal.
    http://reneweconomy.com.au/coal-prod...-a-year-77543/

Brown Coal in Victoria has been propped up for years, and some of the power it produced sold at a loss to Comalco at Portland via a power line that was well known to be pork at the time it was built. The price charged was subsidised by the same taxpayers who used it to cook dinner.

Decisions on prices have always been made on political grounds, not practical even when the state owned the resource mine to switch.
    I'll see your Renewenergy Report and raise you a Minerals Council Report on the costs of subsidised renewable energy! http://www.minerals.org.au/file_uplo...8Jan2017-2.pdf

The other input into increased prices for power that seems to have been forgotten recently was the spending splurge on "poles and wires", infrastructure that was unneeded but built anyway and that we are paying for.
    Speaking of poles and wires we have a spring storm coming through, hope the poles and wires are up to it.

Arguably if Gillards policy had been allowed to stand, and the industry given some direction there wouldn't need to be a subsidy now.

Quote Originally Posted by m2c1Iw View Post
    Speaking of poles and wires we have a spring storm coming through, hope the poles and wires are up to it.
    and if a tower goes down the pollies don't blame the generator.
    Grateful Dead

Ah the debate/bickering gets even sillier, here's the Libs response to the issue.......gawd save us.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-10/sa-opposition-releases-$100m-home-battery-plan/9032900

Add to that the gift that keeps on giving, Tony Abbott telling us Global Warming is good for us.
    Grateful Dead

Ahhh yep..... what can I say give him a posting somewhere, High Commissioner to say South Korea. No they don't deserve that.

North Korea .

Night all.
    Grateful Dead

Not strictly politics, but the Lord Mayor of Melb. was on radio this morning talking of a suitable memorial for John Clark. Trouble is there are already several 'clark' streets, places etc.
    One wag suggested naming a stadium after Dave Sorenson…………. of Farnarkling fame……...

I like to think Clark would appreciate that.

Perhaps a Knighthood, post mortem ? He'd see the joke.
    Grateful Dead

So, if it was offensive for Trump to grab 'em on the meow.... is this acceptable?

Or this? Yes, this person is an Australian Senator