Page 502 of 800 FirstFirst ... 2402452492501502503512552602 ... LastLast
Results 17,536 to 17,570 of 27973

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Good riddance, it has been far too leftist and activist for years. Good riddance to Nick X too
    You must hate 4 Corners then.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

4 Corners is just Evil, all that nice corruption uncovered. Not fair !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Putting this here because I don't want to sully Antipodean with it.
    I recently heard an acquaintance I'd known for many years had died. I mentioned it to a friend who didn't seem very upset about it and was reluctant to talk about it. Yesterday I mentioned it to another friend who also knew him. Seems the bloke hung himself, he had be sexually abusing young girls over a fair period of time.

A local bloke Gary ?
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    A local bloke Gary ?
    More or less, he use to live out this way some years back then moved over to the coast. I really feel for his partner, lovely lady.

Despite my Pavlov remark I think Ian has some points. Nick is about increasing his brand but aren't all political parties? He has 3 in the senate and 1 in the reps, which is a strong presence given the state of the houses. Anthony Green estimated he's almost guaranteed 20% in SA which will give him the decider. Of course both parties say they are after an outright majority as they would, and both say there will be no accomodation, much less a coalition. Of all people Xenophon is likely to be the most comfortable as the man in the middle, and may stay just there, just offering supply to enable a government. He has the possibility of actually surpassing one of the majors in time, and he does have the time.

Mr X seems to be a reasonable and ethical fella, I find his positions .... reasonable. We need more like him.
    Grateful Dead

Mr X seems to be a reasonable and ethical fella, I find his positions .... reasonable. We need more like him.
    No wonder the other parties don't like him. I mean to say ethics? Really? Doesn't he know he's in politics?

He hasn't had the bypass required for Labor or the LibNats.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Despite my Pavlov remark I think Ian has some points. Nick is about increasing his brand but aren't all political parties? He has 3 in the senate and 1 in the reps, which is a strong presence given the state of the houses. Anthony Green estimated he's almost guaranteed 20% in SA which will give him the decider. Of course both parties say they are after an outright majority as they would, and both say there will be no accomodation, much less a coalition. Of all people Xenophon is likely to be the most comfortable as the man in the middle, and may stay just there, just offering supply to enable a government. He has the possibility of actually surpassing one of the majors in time, and he does have the time.
    Both majors in SA have about as much life in them as my dead cow. If Nick put a candidate in every seat I reckon he'd have a reasonable chance of governing the joint.

Bit of an ask from a newbie party Phil, bit of a risk with all your reps cleanskins and your cabinet a deal underdone. Could be a disaster considering the work to be done. You end up as always in these circumstances with a few dunces and a few loose cannon. Better to hasten slowly as a substantial cross bench and screw the other bastards down.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Both majors in SA have about as much life in them as my dead cow. If Nick put a candidate in every seat I reckon he'd have a reasonable chance of governing the joint.
    An encouraging thought ! I look across the border into Queensland and watch Pauline growing in strength and the State government sucking up to Adani. SA sounds MUCH healthier.
    Grateful Dead

Have I told you about the 25% electoral rule?
    As the primary vote for any other than a major approaches 25%, the existing alleigances become more and more unstable. This applies to the voters as well as coalition arrangements as one or the other parties looses it's clear majority. In Aus. historically, this has been a prelude to major realignments. Pauline is one example, Nick too maybe.

Bernardi's attempt seems to be failing to generate much interest, he's not quite a ''man of the people''.
    Grateful Dead

I don't think Nick will go for a majority this election, but wouldn't be surprised if he does next time around. His support base in SA has been very strong. I think his approach to putting a team together is to find people who will strictly toe the line. Nick puppets. Not really very healthy when the numbers get up. That's probably a little unfair to his current team, but he does have a reputation for being a bit of a dictator.

Bernardi's attempt seems to be failing to generate much interest, he's not quite a ''man of the people''.
    Bernardi is a delusional fockwit.

Thanks for the improved description .
    Grateful Dead

I wonder how long before we see a a Hanson/Bernardi merger? Or do you think their egos could not be contained under one roof?

I don't think that pairing would last long .... but I could be wrong . He the arch moralist, she the political pragmatist and opportunist.
    Grateful Dead

Not so 'arch' thast he wouldn't sell his grandma for a sniff of power I'd bet. The end justifying the means being the operating system.

BTW, Background Briefing Sunday morning. Fiji, the Chinese police landing, kidnapping and deporting Chinese nationals from the island. And it's OK with the Fijian admin evidently.
    I won't call the Fijian government 'politicians', they are criminals through and through.

[QUOTE=skuthorp;5365591
    I won't call the Fijian government 'politicians', they are criminals through and through.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, you've kind of lost me there.

Fiji has been under the control of a military coup for years. And it seems they are open to be bought.
    The coup was about an ethnic Indian being elected to head the government, and tribal Fijians objecting. Semms like a little ethnic cleansing going on. Those Chinese kidnapped had been critical, probably on line, of the Chinese government.

PNG seems on the verge of ....something even more chaotic after the last ''election''.
    Grateful Dead

Well the whole political system could easliy be bought wholesale there it seems to me, and probably quite cheaply. It's just more open there, and the money actually goes to the voters.

Fiji has been under the control of a military coup for years. And it seems they are open to be bought.
    The coup was about an ethnic Indian being elected to head the government, and tribal Fijians objecting. Semms like a little ethnic cleansing going on. Those Chinese kidnapped had been critical, probably on line, of the Chinese government.
    No, sorry, I still don't get your point. Seems to me you are trying to draw a distinction between criminals and politicians. Maybe it's just that what with the presumption of innocence, criminals have convictions, whereas politicians don't?

PNG seems on the verge of ....something even more chaotic after the last ''election''.
    I saw a headline on ABC news which suggested that Chinese property investors are not really responsible for pushing up our real estate prices after all. You know who has been buying up Australian real estate for years and years? PNG politicians. I think they own most of Cairns.

I think the long term future of PNG as a "nation" is unsure, can't think of a better word but if it resembled Haiti in 50 years I wouldn't be very surprised.
    Grateful Dead

Some conjecture about what the Chinese were doing there, but seeing most were teenage girls, and the rest 'men' it was likely a brothel fro the many Chinese workers and maybe the diaspora. But Prostitution is, and has been illegal for ever in Fiji, so maybe it's more acceptable to be 'busting' an illegal gambling operation.
    My point was that the Chinese national policewere running the operation, in uniform.

Re PNG politicians. I doubt an honest one could get 'elected' given what the evidence is time after time.

Meanwhile I notice that the French sub. designers think our tradies won't be up to the mark………………….
    If they are like our lot down here they are more interested in surfing, fishing, or using various substances.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 10-08-2017 at 05:52 AM.

Boy, my cynicism is getting a big run tonight.
    More about Chinese influence and money in our politics in the news today. but then if it's good enough for Fiji…………
    Maybe they think that if the both/all do it it will cancel out?

SA Libs are sounding a bit frantic this morning.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 10-08-2017 at 03:46 PM.

SA Libs s definitely worried, Mr X seems to be refusing to name his preferences early and is waiting on policies !
    Grateful Dead

Boy, my cynicism is getting a big run tonight.
    More about Chinese influence and money in our politics in the news today. but then if it's good enough for Fiji…………
    Maybe they think that if the both/all do it it will cancel out?

SA Libs are sounding a bit frantic this morning.
    I think the Chinese are quietly buying most pacific nations.

And he's contesting a liberal seat I think. They should be worried.

They are .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I think the Chinese are quietly buying most pacific nations.
    I was looking the American Pacific sphere of influence post WW2 which extended more or less to the coast of China. The Chinese are about reducing it to the mid Pacific with their courting and buying influence in the island nations. I'm sure I'm not the only one noticing.
    In Aus's case we are conflicted as we have been forecasting for some years now, and specifically whilst we have been battling East Timor in the courts, the Chinese have been trading money, know how, and technology for inevitable influence in a very close neighbour.

Interesting what?