Page 501 of 765 FirstFirst ... 401451491500501502511551601 ... LastLast
Results 17,501 to 17,535 of 26752

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Now here's a 'cat amongst the pigeons' recommendation from the Abuse royal commission.

Abuse royal commission recommends changes to confession rules

The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse has recommended the criminal law be changed so clergy members are required to report information about child sexual abuse even if it is received during confession.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-1...ations/8804040
    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    o
    Every other profession is obligated to report abuse they should as well.

Good luck with that:

According to Roman Catholic canon law, "The sacramental seal is inviolable; therefore it is absolutely forbidden for a confessor to betray in any way a penitent in words or in any manner and for any reason." The confessor is always an ordained priest, because in the Catholic Church only ordained priests can absolve sins; lay confession is not recognized. Any person who overhears a confession is likewise bound by the seal.[4]
    Priests may not reveal what they have learned during confession to anyone, even under the threat of their own death or that of others. For a priest to break secrecy would lead to a latae sententiae (automatic) excommunication, the lifting of which is reserved to the Holy See – in fact, to the Pope himself.....

.......There may be conflict between the obligation of confidentiality of confession and civil law. The US state of Louisiana's Supreme Court ruled in 2014 that a priest may be compelled to testify about what he was told in the confessional regarding a particular sexual abuse case, leaving the priest at risk of excommunication if he even confirms that a confession took place, or jail for contempt of court should he refuse to testify.[9] However, the Court later ruled that a priest has no duty to report confidential information heard during a sacramental confession.[10]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_o...atholic_Church
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    I’m not sure how this one could be considered careless when you read his actual circumstances - it sounds more like someone is trying very hard to create mischief:

"Last Thursday afternoon the New Zealand High Commission contacted me to advise that on the basis of preliminary advice from the Department of Internal Affairs, which received inquiries from the New Zealand Labour Party, they considered that I may be a citizen by descent of New Zealand," he told the House of Representatives

"Needless to say, I was shocked to receive this information.

"I have always been an Australian citizen - born in Tamworth - just as my mother and great grandmother were born there 100 years earlier.

"Neither I nor my parents have ever had any reason to believe that I may be a citizen of any other country.

"I was born in Australia in 1967 to an Australian mother - I think I am 5th generation.

"My father was born in New Zealand and came to Australia in 1947 as a British subject - in fact we were all British subjects at that time.

"The concept of New Zealand and Australian citizenship was not created until 1948.

"Neither my parents nor I have ever applied to register me as a New Zealand citizen. The New Zealand Government has no register recognising me as an New Zealand citizen.

"The Government has taken legal advice from the Solicitor-General - on the basis of the Solicitor-General's advice, the Government is of the firm view that I would not be found to be disqualified by the operation of s44(1) of the Constitution from serving as the Member for New England.

"However to provide clarification to this very important area of the law for this and future Parliaments I have asked the Government to refer the matter in accordance with s376 of the Commonwealth Electoral Act to the High Court sitting as the Court of Disputed Returns.

"Given the strength of the legal advice the Government has received, the Prime Minister has asked that I remain Deputy Prime Minister and continue my Ministerial duties."

New Zealand's government has confirmed that Australia's deputy prime minister, Barnaby Joyce, is a dual citizen.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-40920141

A nice pic of Barnaby in happier times........

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    New Zealand's government has confirmed that Australia's deputy prime minister, Barnaby Joyce, is a dual citizen.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-40920141

A nice pic of Barnaby in happier times........

well there's a bullshyte headline if ever there was one - nowhere in that BBC article can I see where the NZ government has actually confirmed that he is a dual citizen, it is just a repeat of earlier news with their sensational headline. The Kiwis have said that he could be - which appears on reading much like he could be if he applied....��....,or it could mean anything. But now I hear the radio repeating the same headline so who knows?
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-s...tizenship.html

• NZ government confirms Joyce a citizen

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Good luck with that:

According to Roman Catholic canon law, "The sacramental seal is inviolable; therefore it is absolutely forbidden for a confessor to betray in any way a penitent in words or in any manner and for any reason." The confessor is always an ordained priest, because in the Catholic Church only ordained priests can absolve sins; lay confession is not recognized. Any person who overhears a confession is likewise bound by the seal.[4]
    Priests may not reveal what they have learned during confession to anyone, even under the threat of their own death or that of others. For a priest to break secrecy would lead to a latae sententiae (automatic) excommunication, the lifting of which is reserved to the Holy See – in fact, to the Pope himself.....

.......There may be conflict between the obligation of confidentiality of confession and civil law. The US state of Louisiana's Supreme Court ruled in 2014 that a priest may be compelled to testify about what he was told in the confessional regarding a particular sexual abuse case, leaving the priest at risk of excommunication if he even confirms that a confession took place, or jail for contempt of court should he refuse to testify.[9] However, the Court later ruled that a priest has no duty to report confidential information heard during a sacramental confession.[10]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_o...atholic_Church
    Interesting but if another religious grouping, say Islam was to say our rules of Sharia surmount Australian law the country would go ballistic !
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-s...tizenship.html

• NZ government confirms Joyce a citizen

I must confess that I am finding it very hard to believe that they can actually confirm it at this stage. I’ll await the proof before I believe any of this mischief.

In fact I reckon it’s actually a Kiwi conspiracy to disrupt the government - divide and conquer. They can’t beat us in the cricket so the bastards want to take us over any way they can
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Interesting but if another religious grouping, say Islam was to say our rules of Sharia surmount Australian law the country would go ballistic !
    Any more ballistic than they’re already going over anything Catholic?
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

A lot more, I was surprised until I remember what I'd read about confession, surprised that a priest wouldn't report child abuse he learned about in confession...... the child abuse would continue but not reported !

I personally feel the law of the land applies to all, Catholic priest and Islamic mullah alike.
    Grateful Dead

A lot more, I was surprised until I remember what I'd read about confession, surprised that a priest wouldn't report child abuse he learned about in confession...... the child abuse would continue but not reported !

I personally feel the law of the land applies to all, Catholic priest and Islamic mullah alike.
    Agreed.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Opinions on the planned solar thermal power station to be built at Port Augusta next year?

Like this one in the US.https://indaily.com.au/news/2017/08/...-port-augusta/

For Ian..... SA Deputy Opposition Leader Vickie Chapman said the project was welcome and had been pursued for some time by the Liberals.“The crying shame of this announcement today is that it isn’t with a transition arrangement with the closure of (the coal-fired power station at) Port Augusta,” Chapman said.
    Grateful Dead

And lawyer client privilege??
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

A priest isn't a lawyer. For me it's which part of society takes precedence, religious organisations or the law that applies to all.
    Grateful Dead

Barnaby. HahahahahahHahahahahahahah

A priest isn't a lawyer. For me it's which part of society takes precedence, religious organisations or the law that applies to all.
    Didn't one forumite say that minority groups should make their own laws?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I must confess that I am finding it very hard to believe that they can actually confirm it at this stage. I’ll await the proof before I believe any of this mischief.

In fact I reckon it’s actually a Kiwi conspiracy to disrupt the government - divide and conquer. They can’t beat us in the cricket so the bastards want to take us over any way they can

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Didn't one forumite say that minority groups should make their own laws?
    and it wasn't me.
    Grateful Dead

And lawyer client privilege??
    Just maybe we might get a bit more justice instead of legal technicality.

I wonder if the same consideration would be extended to Sharia ?
    Grateful Dead

I haven't listened to anything since Bruce came over the horizon but evidently the PM has been giving advice to the HC re the matter.
    And Pine seems to have a hit list of an ALP pollies with a foreign sounding name.

I shakes me head as we go off on another distraction, it all seems a bit ridiculous to me.

I'd have more sympathy for Barney if he hadn't crowed so much about the Greens.

Some people see his words as a direction, I heard them as a prediction. "The High Court will find ...."
    Grateful Dead

I haven't listened to anything since Bruce came over the horizon but evidently the PM has been giving advice to the HC re the matter.
    And Pine seems to have a hit list of an ALP pollies with a foreign sounding name.

I shakes me head as we go off on another distraction, it all seems a bit ridiculous to me.

Agreed.

And if Joyce’s citizenship can come under question in the circumstances that he has explained, it really makes me wonder at the validity of every Australian politician that has gone before. And what does that mean for the validity of many of the laws and processes in this country if they have been enacted by potentially invalid politicians??

Julia Gillard was born in Wales - did she therefore hold Welsh citizenship?
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I think the point is that a person has to actively renounce a dual citizenship to sit in Parliament.
    Grateful Dead

True, that has made his current situation all the more laughable.
    Grateful Dead

I think the point is that a person has to actively renounce a dual citizenship to sit in Parliament.
    then they'd have to be aware of it to renounce it
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Therein lies the problem.
    Grateful Dead

True, that has made his current situation all the more laughable.
    Irony?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Barnaby. HahahahahahHahahahahahahah
    +1 my thoughts too!
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

Irony?
    Yep, karma .
    Grateful Dead

Irony?
    Yep, karma .
    I can’t stand the bloke, but it appears more like needless mischief, foolish revenge, petty gloating and media bullshyte
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Pistol and Boo have called for Barnaby's humane execution, or at the very least, castration, if he doesn't bugger off to New Zealand
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I can’t stand the bloke, but it appears more like needless mischief, foolish revenge, petty gloating and media bullshyte
    Nup, he was pretty abrasive about Larissa Waters oversight and now the same dog has bitten him. Karma.
    Grateful Dead

And what does that mean for the validity of many of the laws and processes in this country if they have been enacted by potentially invalid?[/QUOTE]

Thats what I've been wondering too.

Regardless, while all of this is going on we are paying who knows how many public servants to:

A) dig up this rubbish and perpetuate it

B) try to respond to it; and

C) nothing else while they are wasting considerable time and tax payers money playing one-upmanship

and at the same time how can anyone expect those more senior public servants involved, our politicians on both sides, to focus properly and effectively on the important issues at hand, including this dire situation with North Korea?

Whoever started this crap in the first place and whoever is involved in perpetuating it should get a bloody good slap!!!
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I see Nick is suspected to be Greek. And has boasted to travelling on a Greek passport previously…………
    Curiouser and curiouser……………..
    An interesting table……….

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...75bd41b79b0f43
    and if the Oz is blocked,
    http://www.afr.com/brand/rear-window...0170815-gxwagb

"More than a dozen MPs born overseas or with a parent from another country have declined to present documentation proving they were never a dual national or revoked their other citizenship before nominating to run for *parliament."

I think ''fiasco" is the right word.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 08-15-2017 at 01:51 AM.