Page 500 of 814 FirstFirst ... 400450490499500501510550600 ... LastLast
Results 17,466 to 17,500 of 28480

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

The terrible commy ABC showed a menu of Gold Coast corruption and kickbacks on the last 4Corners. They aren't the white shoe brigade's friend.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    The terrible commy ABC showed a menu of Gold Coast corruption and kickbacks on the last 4Corners. They aren't the white shoe brigade's friend.
    The GCCC does have a very nasty stench about it - the Deputy Mayor is shedding crocodile tears over the ABC's portrayal of her but that’s her modus operandi for weaselling out of any scrutiny over her shady behaviour.

30 plus something declarations of conflicts of interest that she remained present for and voted on any way, one of them being the development just down the hill from us and the vetoing of the promised sealing of an existing fire track to form a new road up to our area that was in the GCCC Planning structure for 2016-2020.

We had all paid an additional premium on the purchase of our land specifically for the developers contribution to that road development and it was part of the sales promotion for the land.

Before buying our land I enquired with the local councillor at the time, David Power to confirm that the road would happen and not just a BS marketing ploy and I received a number of responses from his PA that the road was indeed confirmed and would be built in the 2016-20 GCCC Plan.

We bought our block of land based very strongly on that confirmation as, and those who have been up here will know, the existing road is incredibly steep and somewhat off-putting to buyers.

David Powers PA at the time was the now deputy Mayor Donna Gates.

However, enter Donna Gates as our local councillor a few years later and the coming on line of the development down the hill and astonishingly that new promised road was suddenly and inexplicably removed from the GCCC plan.

No one was advised that it had been removed and no-one had any suspicion that it was until I contacted the GCCC to find out when work was likely to start and was told that it was up for consideration to be removed from the plan.

I and every other resident contacted Gates as our local councillor to find out what was going on and she denied any previous knowledge of the road proposal, despite corresponding with me (at least) in her previous role confirming the road.

It then turned out that the developers down the hill were a Gates campaign contributor.

When we all got together and pushed for the road to continue it suddenly transpired that the road corridor would destroy an area of sensitive native vegetation..........WTF? There is already a road there in the form of a fire track.

Gates advised that the premiums that we paid and which were supposedly being held in trust by the GCCC would be returned to the original land developer - bullshyte we cried, that’s our money it must be returned to us if we are not getting the road that we were promised and which played a particularly significant part in selling us on the land.

Eventually we were advised that the GCCC would retain the funds and use them to upgrade the existing road and fire track - activities that we all pay our registrations and rates for anyway. A-holes

Three years later it appears that the developer down the hill has bulldozed some of those areas of supposed sensitive native vegetation and the fire track has been widened but gated off.

Gates is not a popular person up here and the word used to describe her by even the most polite soul around here would get me banned permanently.

She is pushing to be the next Mayor and we can only hope that the ABC program may have done enough to scupper that plan.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    The GCCC does have a very nasty stench about it - the Deputy Mayor is shedding crocodile tears over the ABC's portrayal of her but that’s her modus operandi for weaselling out of any scrutiny over her shady behaviour.

30 plus something declarations of conflicts of interest that she remained present for and voted on any way, one of them being the development just down the hill from us and the vetoing of the promised sealing of an existing fire track to form a new road up to our area that was in the GCCC Planning structure for 2016-2020.

We had all paid an additional premium on the purchase of our land specifically for the developers contribution to that road development and it was part of the sales promotion for the land.

Before buying our land I enquired with the local councillor at the time, David Power to confirm that the road would happen and not just a BS marketing ploy and I received a number of responses from his PA that the road was indeed confirmed and would be built in the 2016-20 GCCC Plan.

We bought our block of land based very strongly on that confirmation as, and those who have been up here will know, the existing road is incredibly steep and somewhat off-putting to buyers.

David Powers PA at the time was the now deputy Mayor Donna Gates.

However, enter Donna Gates as our local councillor a few years later and the coming on line of the development down the hill and astonishingly that new promised road was suddenly and inexplicably removed from the GCCC plan.

No one was advised that it had been removed and no-one had any suspicion that it was until I contacted the GCCC to find out when work was likely to start and was told that it was up for consideration to be removed from the plan.

I and every other resident contacted Gates as our local councillor to find out what was going on and she denied any previous knowledge of the road proposal, despite corresponding with me (at least) in her previous role confirming the road.

It then turned out that the developers down the hill were a Gates campaign contributor.

When we all got together and pushed for the road to continue it suddenly transpired that the road corridor would destroy an area of sensitive native vegetation..........WTF? There is already a road there in the form of a fire track.

Gates advised that the premiums that we paid and which were supposedly being held in trust by the GCCC would be returned to the original land developer - bullshyte we cried, that’s our money it must be returned to us if we are not getting the road that we were promised and which played a particularly significant part in selling us on the land.

Eventually we were advised that the GCCC would retain the funds and use them to upgrade the existing road and fire track - activities that we all pay our registrations and rates for anyway. A-holes

Three years later it appears that the developer down the hill has bulldozed some of those areas of supposed sensitive native vegetation and the fire track has been widened but gated off.

Gates is not a popular person up here and the word used to describe her by even the most polite soul around here would get me banned permanently.

She is pushing to be the next Mayor and we can only hope that the ABC program may have done enough to scupper that plan.
    Only the ABC would have the gronicles to investigate something like this...well worth my 8 cents.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

"They mightn't like the choices but they pretty well know what they're gonna get."
    Ya reckon?
    And I did like your use of the word 'gang' in relation to groupings of politicians in general, self interest being the driving force.

Gang ? That was me.
    Grateful Dead

Appropriate Peter.

Asap has a much rosier view of politicians promises.
    I'd have them viewed as a prospectus, and treat them the way false prospectuses are.

I tend to think individual politicians are likely as honourable as the rest of us but the gang takes over an it has a mind of it's own and very little honour.
    Grateful Dead

The potential of pumped hydro storage in Australia .http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-2...search/8966530
    Grateful Dead

Tony won't have a minute of it, after all he refused to accept any restriction of the gas market for domestic use.

Now he seems to have thrown down the gauntlet…..

"Even in today's often bizarre political environment, Tuesday night's encounter between Tony Abbott, Peta Credlin and Alan Jones on Sky News was surreal."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-2...rnbull/8966968

Well, so Tony got head butted in Hobart by a bloke wearing a vote yes badge. Regrettable. I can think of a whole slew of better reasons myself. That said it's not a direction we should be going, and it gives a propaganda win to the no's.
    Of course it could be a set up, but unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Tony won't have a minute of it, after all he refused to accept any restriction of the gas market for domestic use.

Now he seems to have thrown down the gauntlet…..

"Even in today's often bizarre political environment, Tuesday night's encounter between Tony Abbott, Peta Credlin and Alan Jones on Sky News was surreal."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-2...rnbull/8966968
    Tony is working hard for his donors, that's for sure. Stuff the country.
    ''Ms Credlin wondered: "Do you trust the Prime Minister is going to do the right thing or is he going to sign you up to a clean energy target without proper debate?"Mr Abbott said the important thing was that the decision would have to go through the partyroom where there were "extremely serious reservations about this clean energy target".
    Mr Abbott has poked and prodded at Mr Turnbull on a range of fronts for two years, steadily raising the heat in recent months.
    Now his disruption has reached a new level — so much so that one wonders how it can go on without coming to a blow-up.''
    Grateful Dead

Grateful Dead

Had a discussion with some mates at the pub yesterday. ..homophobia is alive and well.

Bit unsure do you think? Or merely uncomfortable?

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Had a discussion with some mates at the pub yesterday. ..homophobia is alive and well.
    Were they rude to you?

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    It is but nothing like it was when we were young. Things have improved a lot.
    Grateful Dead

What a group of men say and do together is driven by aggression, testosterone and raw tribalism, especially if alcohol is involved.
    What they say and do in privacy is often quite different and reason mostly triumphs.
    But maybe not amongst some politicians.

Ian's comment was quite 'smart' but his own history of posts here gives an entirely different view.

It does that.
    Grateful Dead

Seems Peters might be the king maker again.
    3rd place.

I don't know much about him, very popularist ?
    Grateful Dead

Been in that position since Fraser was PM. He made Deputy NZ PM at one stage.

Insiders.
    Interesting prospect re energy policy. It seems Abbott has 10-12 MP's that would cross the floor to defeat anything Mal proposes.
    The possibility is that a Lib/Lab parliamentary cooperation would be needed.
    Now that would be a turn up.

But not an impossibility, a real test of party discipline and the power of whoever holds the purse strings.
    Grateful Dead

Shorten should offer before Turnbull asks. Someone needs to break the deadlock.

Neither of them would have the full backing of their factional groupings, but likely enough to pull something off. I think it might be interesting to see the publics reaction. By passing the right, and left (though it's more about internal power than ideology in the alp).
    Can you imagine Abbott and Bernardi? Apoplexy! Korman and Dutton might not be so upset, but the treasurer?

I'd love to see it ! Real cooperation rather than the current paralysis would be welcome.

I'm going away tomorrow for a week at the coast, organised by Carol, primarily to catch up with the kids, it being school hols here.
    Grateful Dead

Have fun you two, it's been one of those years for you.

Two?? I wish. Carol and I, plus Ellee and her 2 kids, 12 and 17. Five of us.
    Grateful Dead

Reminds me of family xmas beach holidays as kids going down to the caravan at Sorrento or to Port Fairy.
    All jammed in the back of a Ford Prefect……….."Are we there yet?''

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Tony Abotts daughter makes a pretty heartfelt and genuine case for a YES vote.
    https://www.theguardian.com/australi...ove-with-video

She seems like a nice person..........
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

I note something has 'gotten up' Eric's nose, and that can only be a good thing.

And an interesting trend in renewables. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-2...y-boom/8994314

He's competing with football for a headline.

If the states allow Santos et al to mine the gas it will not stay in the country but be pumped north to be exported for private profit. The only way to keep it here is in the ground, or for a state or two to go into he gas supply business. But then governments change and it would be sold off for short term electoral advantage as per usual. .

The Nats must be worried, some of their seats are in the balance if CSG mining goes ahead. Our local Nat, Thomas George came within a hair of losing his seat to the Greens last State election, that took a massive voting change for the farming community here.
    Grateful Dead

Phew! Hot tumas.

A bit warm for Autumn!
    Grateful Dead