Page 50 of 766 FirstFirst ... 4049505160100150550 ... LastLast
Results 1,716 to 1,750 of 26791

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

Almost a family retainer, I don't suppose you could flog him a Dragon? In lieu of a fee perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Anyone see Clarke and Dawe tonight?
    Should have touched a nerve but probably won't.
    "Linguistics advisor to a predominantly Christian management group" -- rejecting the Ten Commandments as being too restrictive. "The left-wing lecture in the hills" being the Sermon from the Mount. "Blessed are the persecuted, for they shall be blamed for their persecution." Then "Are you a Christian?" "Oh yeah, we're all Christians up there."

I don't think there's a real Christian among the lot of them, they just mouthe it....

Clarke & Dawe.

You're right, Jeff -- should have touched a nerve but probably won't.

And did you see that Metadata Warrior Brandis trying to explain what a URL was? "An analogue man in a digital age."

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

A satirist has to be very skilled and very focussed in these days of self satire Mike. As for Brandis, verbatim comedy material.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooden Boat Fittings View Post
    "Linguistics advisor to a predominantly Christian management group" -- rejecting the Ten Commandments as being too restrictive. "The left-wing lecture in the hills" being the Sermon from the Mount. "Blessed are the persecuted, for they shall be blamed for their persecution." Then "Are you a Christian?" "Oh yeah, we're all Christians up there."

I don't think there's a real Christian among the lot of them, they just mouthe it....

Clarke & Dawe.

You're right, Jeff -- should have touched a nerve but probably won't.

And did you see that Metadata Warrior Brandis trying to explain what a URL was? "An analogue man in a digital age."

Mike
    Love Clarke & Dawe.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

"

Mike
    Oh dear . Where's Turnbull ?... ah that's right , he thinks Brandis' idea is a waste of time and probably thinks Brandis might be too.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Abetz really has a habit of putting his foot in his mouth.

Senator Eric Abetz denies suggesting link between abortions and breast cancer

By political reporter Karen Barlow
    Updated 2 minutes agoFri 8 Aug 2014, 8:32am
    Video: Abetz discusses link between abortion and breast cancer (ABC News)
    Photo: Leader of the Government in the Senate Eric Abetz. (AAP: Daniel Munoz, file photo)
    Map: Australia

Cabinet minister Eric Abetz has denied drawing a credible link between abortions and breast cancer, but he says the proponent of the theory is qualified and has a right to express her views.
    The leader of the Government in the Senate has been criticised after speaking of the link on Channel Ten program The Project last night while discussing his involvement with the World Congress of Families event being held in Melbourne this month.
    While appearing on the program, Senator Abetz was asked by panellist Mia Freedman whether he agrees with controversial American surgeon and Congress speaker, Dr Angela Lanfranchi, who promotes the theory that abortion can lead to breast cancer.
    Freedman: "What about the fact that one of the speakers at this conference promotes the factually incorrect statement that abortion leads to breast cancer. Do you believe that?"
    Abetz: "I think the studies, and I think they date back from the 1950s, assert that there is a link between abortion and breast cancer."
    Freedman: "It is conclusively and scientifically incorrect in the same way that linking immunisations and autism are incorrect. So when this scientific non-information is being put out there, how can you be comfortable being part of something that promotes this non-science?"
    Abetz: "Well I don't know what your scientific expertise is to be able to run that commentary, I must confess I don't have that ... "
    Freedman: "It's not me. It's the Australian Medical Association."
    Abetz: "Well there are other organisations that have differing views as some of these speakers are clinical professors ... "
    The country's peak medical body, the Australian Medical Association (AMA), says Dr Lanfranchi's theories are rubbish and has labelled the Senator's comments irresponsible and ideological.
    "I think he should stay out of these debates if you're quoting evidence from the 1950s, I think that's in line with the attitudes he's putting forward," AMA president Associate Professor Brian Owler said.
    Video: Cancer Council chief rejects link between breast cancer and abortions (ABC News)

"It's not the sort of thing that he should be putting out and certainly not the role a senior Government member should be taking on what is an important health issue.
    "I think it's very dangerous when senior members of government get involved in these types of conferences and give credence to topics that have no scientific merit and which really can be dangerous in terms of the health of women."
    Senator Abetz - who is openly anti-abortion - denies he suggested a link between abortions and breast cancer, saying the body of medical opinion is clearly opposed to the idea.
    In a statement, Senator Abetz said he "studiously avoided" drawing a link between abortion and breast cancer.
    "[I] was cut off before being able to acknowledge that Dr Angela Lanfranchi's views on this topic were not the accepted medical view," he said.
    "As I pointed out, I am associating myself with the Families Conference, the broad aims of which I support. This does not mean that I endorse the views of every single speaker.
    "Notwithstanding this, Dr Lanfranchi is a breast cancer surgeon and a clinical assistant professor of surgery. She is the surgical co-director of the Sanofi-Aventis Breast Care Centre and the Steeplechase Cancer Centre in New Jersey.
    "She has spoken at hospitals and universities around the world and she has the right to free speech in Australia. I accept the AMA has a right to disagree with Dr Lanfranchi's views."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-0...cancer/5656832
    Last edited by PeterSibley; 08-08-2014 at 04:04 AM.
    Grateful Dead

"This message has been deleted by WX.

ReasonBit silly"

Aw Gary………………. a bit of sillyness is just what we need, though the government seem to be running their own comedy channel these days.

Re Abetz. I heard hin described as ''one of Australia's top lawyers" the other day. Good grief!

He's a lawyer but not much of a negotiator as Senate leader , he has had very little success.
    Grateful Dead

Re Abetz. I heard hin described as ''one of Australia's top lawyers" the other day. Good grief!
    WHAT? Erica? Good god! He's got just enough legal sense to know that Ken Henry would probably have sued him if he'd continued with his intention of calling him a liar in a Senate Estimates hearing a while back.

No, Erica's just an idiot with adenoids.

When you look at them, they're really a pretty shonky lot, aren't they? Erica, Brandis the Bigot, Poncy Pyne, the Great Misogynist, fat Joe who couldn't produce a satisfactory budget for a school tuckshop, that arch-bully Morrison... the list just goes on. Turnbull's probably their only good performer (and one I'd believe) but he doesn't have the ticker to either to stand up to the Mad Monk, or to abandon him and stand as an independent.

The problem for Australia is that Labor doesn't have too many shining lights at the moment either.

Mike

It's not that they're wicked,
    Or naturally mad.
    It's knowing they're pollies
    That makes them so bad!

Hey Ian, is he of The Blanket of your ilk?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Ah... we know the country is being managed properly when the best the left's got is to attack the personalities.
    Yeah well your side would know.

Um no GST. They all lie Ian you should know that by now.

social security payments by electorate.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-0...torate/5657288

$140 BILLION.

Wow, $6,000+ per capita.
    Ah but from me you get 24 hours per week highly trained volunteering.
    value for money in my book.

Excellent. I volunteer to go boating every now and then too.
    No one is stopping you...it would be a nice change from motorbikes.

That's your opinion. You are welcome to it

I spend a bit of time on the water. I might try for some more time on the Mekong.... before they stuff it totally
    That's unregulated capitalism for you.:-)

Hey, come on Ian. I confess I haven't been to Laos, but in the other three capitalism is thriving these days -- evidence of it everywhere. The main difference between us is that the people can't vote for parties, only individuals.

There's a nice bit of family history in that blanket, by the way. Congratulations on it.

Mike

WHAT? Erica? Good god! He's got just enough legal sense to know that Ken Henry would probably have sued him if he'd continued with his intention of calling him a liar in a Senate Estimates hearing a while back.

No, Erica's just an idiot with adenoids.

When you look at them, they're really a pretty shonky lot, aren't they? Erica, Brandis the Bigot, Poncy Pyne, the Great Misogynist, fat Joe who couldn't produce a satisfactory budget for a school tuckshop, that arch-bully Morrison... the list just goes on. Turnbull's probably their only good performer (and one I'd believe) but he doesn't have the ticker to either to stand up to the Mad Monk, or to abandon him and stand as an independent.

The problem for Australia is that Labor doesn't have too many shining lights at the moment either.

Mike
    In a nutshell , a pretty unpleasant lot. I'd take Gillard any day of the week.
    Grateful Dead

I see that in desperation the Govt has called in the AFP and ASIO to explain their 'security' policy. Risking in the process thoroughly politicising both, except that ASIO has been a conservative organisation from the beginning.
    Not a glorious front bench is it? I wonder if there's some talent out the back?
    I see Joe has called himself, 'the most unpopular man in Australia'. Diddums………...
    But I have to agree with Mike, "The problem for Australia is that Labor doesn't have too many shining lights at the moment either." Sad state of affairs.

Tony just slapped Abetz, well deserved and it couldn't happen to a nicer guy..

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Abetz really has a habit of putting his foot in his mouth.

Senator Eric Abetz denies suggesting link between abortions and breast cancer

By political reporter Karen Barlow
    Updated 2 minutes agoFri 8 Aug 2014, 8:32am
    Video: Abetz discusses link between abortion and breast cancer (ABC News)
    Photo: Leader of the Government in the Senate Eric Abetz. (AAP: Daniel Munoz, file photo)
    Map: Australia

Cabinet minister Eric Abetz has denied drawing a credible link between abortions and breast cancer, but he says the proponent of the theory is qualified and has a right to express her views.
    The leader of the Government in the Senate has been criticised after speaking of the link on Channel Ten program The Project last night while discussing his involvement with the World Congress of Families event being held in Melbourne this month.
    While appearing on the program, Senator Abetz was asked by panellist Mia Freedman whether he agrees with controversial American surgeon and Congress speaker, Dr Angela Lanfranchi, who promotes the theory that abortion can lead to breast cancer.
    Freedman: "What about the fact that one of the speakers at this conference promotes the factually incorrect statement that abortion leads to breast cancer. Do you believe that?"
    Abetz: "I think the studies, and I think they date back from the 1950s, assert that there is a link between abortion and breast cancer."
    Freedman: "It is conclusively and scientifically incorrect in the same way that linking immunisations and autism are incorrect. So when this scientific non-information is being put out there, how can you be comfortable being part of something that promotes this non-science?"
    Abetz: "Well I don't know what your scientific expertise is to be able to run that commentary, I must confess I don't have that ... "
    Freedman: "It's not me. It's the Australian Medical Association."
    Abetz: "Well there are other organisations that have differing views as some of these speakers are clinical professors ... "
    The country's peak medical body, the Australian Medical Association (AMA), says Dr Lanfranchi's theories are rubbish and has labelled the Senator's comments irresponsible and ideological.
    "I think he should stay out of these debates if you're quoting evidence from the 1950s, I think that's in line with the attitudes he's putting forward," AMA president Associate Professor Brian Owler said.
    Video: Cancer Council chief rejects link between breast cancer and abortions (ABC News)

"It's not the sort of thing that he should be putting out and certainly not the role a senior Government member should be taking on what is an important health issue.
    "I think it's very dangerous when senior members of government get involved in these types of conferences and give credence to topics that have no scientific merit and which really can be dangerous in terms of the health of women."
    Senator Abetz - who is openly anti-abortion - denies he suggested a link between abortions and breast cancer, saying the body of medical opinion is clearly opposed to the idea.
    In a statement, Senator Abetz said he "studiously avoided" drawing a link between abortion and breast cancer.
    "[I] was cut off before being able to acknowledge that Dr Angela Lanfranchi's views on this topic were not the accepted medical view," he said.
    "As I pointed out, I am associating myself with the Families Conference, the broad aims of which I support. This does not mean that I endorse the views of every single speaker.
    "Notwithstanding this, Dr Lanfranchi is a breast cancer surgeon and a clinical assistant professor of surgery. She is the surgical co-director of the Sanofi-Aventis Breast Care Centre and the Steeplechase Cancer Centre in New Jersey.
    "She has spoken at hospitals and universities around the world and she has the right to free speech in Australia. I accept the AMA has a right to disagree with Dr Lanfranchi's views."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-0...cancer/5656832
    Grateful Dead

Then there's Andrews, World Ambassador to the 'World Congress of Families', with their well publicised views and beliefs………….. and Australia's Minister for Social Services as well. If that isn't a conflict of interests, if not beliefs, what is.

RIP Peter Sculthorpe.
    Grateful Dead

NSW Liberals are beginning to look very much like Labor when it comes to donations from developers.
    Grateful Dead

Yeah I noticed that, they might find that they can't raise a quorum between them both by the end. Maybe the ICAC commissioner should get the guernsey as NSW Premier?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    RIP Peter Sculthorpe.
    Yes, we have been privileged as a country to have his talents. Did you hear the story re his childhood piano teacher? He was composing at 10 and when he played a piece of his own his teacher rapped him over the knuckles saying "Stop doing that, all the good composers are dead".

Yeah I noticed that, they might find that they can't raise a quorum between them both by the end. Maybe the ICAC commissioner should get the guernsey as NSW Premier?
    Now there's an idea with merit !
    Grateful Dead

Yes, we have been privileged as a country to have his talents. Did you hear the story re his childhood piano teacher? He was composing at 10 and when he played a piece of his own his teacher rapped him over the knuckles saying "Stop doing that, all the good composers are dead".
    Shudder.
    Grateful Dead

Took the Mac out today Peter, lovely if a little chilly and not another boat in sight.

Well done ! I'm very much looking forward to getting JIM in the water, winters are pretty damn pleasant up here, perfect sailing weather. The southern end of Moreton Bay is like that most of the time, a beautiful sailing ground right next to a city and it's unusual to see another boat out there.
    Grateful Dead

And on tonight's news Turnbull finally stepped in and said succinctly and accurately in thirty seconds what Bigot Brandis stuttered over for three minutes, unsuccessfully, the other night. <rolls eyes>

And yeah, Erica got rolled by his boss too....

Gawd help us.

Mike

And on tonight's news Turnbull finally stepped in and said succinctly and accurately in thirty seconds what Bigot Brandis stuttered over for three minutes, unsuccessfully, the other night. <rolls eyes>

Mike
    That's why they had Brandis trying to explain a url, um, it must be .... Brandis looking stupid instead of a competent Turnbull?

I guess they just hate Turnbull.
    Grateful Dead

Please forgive me in advance if this is as silly a question as it seems to me.....................but I just have to ask it anyway.......

If we are supporting sanctions against Russia, meaning we don't want to sell them stuff and we don't want to buy any of their stuff - why the heck do we care if they don't actually want our stuff???
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Peter -- Turnbull's the sharpest knife in the Liberal drawer. I think having turfed him out of the leadership (albeit by only a vote), and also probably feeling inferior to him anyway (which of course they are), they feel obliged to dislike him. So they 'put him in his place'. Then when they found out they actually needed him after all, they trundled him out again. And of course he immediately showed them just how much they do need him....

Turnbull on metadata today

A pity about the lack of ticker. If he started his own party he could do to the Greens what the Greens did to the Democrats.

Greg -- we don't care particularly, I don't think. And I think Putin made a silly decision in imposing his sanctions on us, especially for twelve months. In twelve months many of our producers will have found new markets for their products and won't necessarily want to start selling them to Russia again.

Mike

Heh You'll love the headline on the Saturday Paper today, "The Madness of King George".

Good article from Rob Oakeshott inside too, 'Deep Pickpockets".