Page 487 of 529 FirstFirst ... 387437477486487488497 ... LastLast
Results 17,011 to 17,045 of 18507

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

Can't believe how cheap fuel is in the US, I get the feeling we might be subsidizing their cheap fuel.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Their lack of fuel excise is why their bridges are falling down.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Power bills . We have 5 people in this household and we use according to the bill that arrived last week, 5.8 kw hrs a day. The bill says that the average fro households in this area consume 23 kw hrs a day. I guess the secret to lower pow bills is not using a lot.
    Grateful Dead

London fire: flammable cladding on Australian buildings 'is like the asbestos problem'Safety expert says the material blamed for London disaster is present in thousands of structures and could cost billions to replace

Calla Wahlquist

Friday 16 June 2017 05.00 AESTLast modified on Friday 16 June 201716.09 AEST

A leading Australian fire safety engineer has compared the task of removing flammable aluminium cladding from high-rise buildings to ridding the country of asbestos, saying it could affect tens of thousands of buildings.
    Stephen Kip, an adjunct professor at Victoria University, said aluminium composite cladding of the style implicated in the Grenfell Tower fire in west London was used in “thousands” of high-rise apartments and other buildings, despite only being approved for use in Australia for interior use or in low-rise buildings. The material was also blamed for the “near-miss” fire in the Lacrosse building in Melbourne’s Docklands in 2014.
    wer disaster unfold
    The majority of those buildings are clad in aluminium composite panels with a polyethylene core, which are highly flammable. Fire retardant and solid aluminium panels are available but are considerably more expensive.
    “The manufacturers tell me that prior to 2011 the only product imported into Australia was the non-compliant [polyethylene] one, because no one ordered the compliant one,” Kip told Guardian Australia. “But we have been using it for 20 years.”
    Kip said Australia needed to conduct a random sample audit to determine the scale of the problem then divide buildings into those which pose a serious threat to life and need to be shut down, and those which can be easily made safe.
    “In a lot of ways it’s not dissimilar to the asbestos issue,” he said, referring to thehugely expensive and ongoing effort to dispose of the deadly material once widely used in the construction industry.
    A Metropolitan Fire Brigade investigation into the Lacrosse building fire found it was “a near miss” that could easily have resulted in a number of fatalities.
    But, despite that conclusion, there had been no significant changes to the regulatory and compliance systems, which Kip said were under-policed and allowed developers to make decisions based on price, rather than safety.

more at ..... https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...bestos-problem

Grateful Dead

I reckon that there'll be lawyers working 24/7 for companies and government to get out of this. The internal search of the building and associated forensics will take years. I mean a proper 'fingertip search' cannot go ahead till the building shell is stabilised, that could take a year. There may be a different government, companies may put themselves in administration seeing the writing on the wall. The courts will be tied up for a decade. As for the other buildings clad similarly, compromise, I guarantee it. I doubt the survivors, will get any satisfaction.
    As if the home grown terrorist threat and Brexit weren't enough, and May in a weak position. It is however a time to eschew the politics of the situation and act together. I doubt it will happen.
    Time to build a few tumbrils I'd say.

Saturday Extra, today.
    Menzies on home ownership and secure tenure being the foundation of security, the raising of children and political stability.
    He made some radio broadcasts on the subject as a back bencher after losing the PM ship. He reckoned that after 2 wars and a depression the people deserved it.
    Contrasting with the Lib's present attitude is that 'the home' has become 'property' and just for investment. If Aus. is to become a nation of renters we'll need tenure laws more like europe.
    I might buy that.

Judith Resmyer(??) author.

Menzies would be rolling in his grave, property is an ''investment tool'' rather than shelter for a family for the current "Liberal" party.
    Grateful Dead

Grateful Dead

And both major parties are equally guilty.
    And I do mean guilty.

But then the Government has been electorally successful with this policies so Peter and I are in a minority.

We are. Xenophobia and fear are the new political currency.

That in itself is reason for me to vote Green, despite their other failings.
    Grateful Dead

As you say, in spite of their obvious failings, their is no other alternative for me if I am to have any principles, but not to vote at all.
    And thats a negative sum game, look at the US.
    But I do have to grit my teeth filling in the preference list.

The Greens are the only party not trying to attract the very worse of Australian sentiment for their profit. Sufficient for me.
    Last edited by PeterSibley; 06-18-2017 at 02:07 AM.
    Grateful Dead

AM, Monday.
    The State Aid issue seems to have raised it's head again.
    Who'd a thunk it. But there seem to be rebels on both sides in the reps.

I would have thought that the more frantic members of the church hierarchy would be some what less so given current revelations.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 06-19-2017 at 02:50 AM.

4 corners, trolling.
    Makes my decision NEVER to be involved with twitter and Facebook a very good one. And it seems they are mostly 'friends' and family.
    They will destroy free speech regardless, and in the US despite the constitution.

I didn't watch, I see enough trolling here.
    Grateful Dead

I think I understand why one of you doesn't want to vote at all and the other wants to only vote green. coming from a state which has flounderd hopelessly through hung parliaments, I always feel some sort of responsibility to vote for some party that might actually govern, even though I may not agree with their maddest policies. sometimes it is quite hard.

G'day shamus, the model is busted by too much partisanship and it could threaten democratic government if a strong enough demagog arises. People like easy answers to complicated problems.

This might be worth looking at, it'll arrive here soon enough if not already.
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...less-voicemail

(I HATE predictive text!!!)

Ethical government not paid for by Chinese ''donations'' would be good .
    Grateful Dead

On the one hand, I sup pose we,re better off than a thousand years ago, governmentally speaking. On the other hand, at certain age you do see how government could improve lives, but see the dirty deals done mostly by our juniors, and you think WTF. I'm also impatient with people with only one issue. Or even two. Quite hilarious really, given that the young are very fond of blaming everything on the baby boomers, and I'm thinking the 35 to 40s with big ambitions to get rich or powerful are more of a problem.

There's an ad at the bottom of my screen saying "considering bankruptcy? Fast affordable and trusted. Very friendly. All paperwork completed". fFuckit I never considered it before, but seeing they are promising eternal friendship, I think I'll click on it.

I get a marine radio course.

I guess the species is doomed to repeat the errors of previous generations with technology upping the ante until we really stuff it up and ph……. ourselves……………… hang on, haven't we already…………..?

I have an ad for PayPal.
    Grateful Dead

Will Gonski II fly?
    Back to the 1950's with sectarian threats and and division.

Greens Nat Council seems to want the deal done despite threats. But they have been 'too pure' before.
    I think it's the AEU exec.who are opposed, doing the ALPs' bidding.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 06-20-2017 at 04:52 PM.

There seems to be a bit of compromise in the air so I think it possible. The Libs even seem to be willing to deal with the evil watermelons after a bit of encouragement from the youth wing ?
    Grateful Dead

I see we have a new Human Rights Commission President in the wings. Ros. Croucher, from the Law Reform Commission.
    The IPA have already attacked her as 'Triggs light'.

They are really such a poisonous organisation. Ms Downer happily spouts their drivel on ABC radio her on a friday.

Agreed, big money doesn't like anything but profit.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I see we have a new Human Rights Commission President in the wings. Ros. Croucher, from the Law Reform Commission.
    The IPA have already attacked her as 'Triggs light'.

They are really such a poisonous organisation. Ms Downer happily spouts their drivel on ABC radio her on a friday.

Croucher’s appointment has been universally acclaimed. As it should be.

An eminent lawyer, she successfully served as dean of the law schools of Macquarie and Sydney University. She has effectively led the Australian Law Reform Commission for almost a decade, delivering reports on nine different and complex areas of law reform.

The only opposition to her appointment comes from the rightwing Institute Of Public Affairs – the stable for the most political, and worst, appointment in the commission’s history. They will drink their cup of disappointment with few companions. Margaret Court – recently demonstrating that great achievement in sport is not usually parlayed to achievement in human rights – is probably among them.

Externally, the challenges are multiple and complex. She will need, with the assistance of her commissioners, to build and coalesce the strong community support which the commission retains. She will also need to make human rights more relevant to more Australians to counteract the anti-human rights forces in the parliament and the broader community. They are not so numerous, but they are noisy, and sometimes persuasive.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...FlInt39zTtiPJA

Ocean Elders against Adani.
    Costeau, Branson, and others ask Turnbull to dump mine.

"A group of prominent oceanographers and global leaders has written to Malcolm Turnbull urging him to reject the proposed Adani Carmichael coalmine, which it says will have a devastating impact on the Great Barrier Reef.The letter from the group Ocean Elders, which includes the renowned marine biologist Dr Sylvia Earle, argues that if it goes ahead the coalmine will damage international efforts to mitigate climate change by increasing global carbon emissions."

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...adani-coalmine

Turnbull can be part of the solution or part of the problem ...... I reckon he'll look after his job and damn the environment.
    Grateful Dead

John Menadue has rally gone to town on the Murdoch organisation on ABC Melbourne radio.

Well we all knew about his meddling concerning Whitlam and the dismissal.

The likelihood of combustible cladding on buildings here and who gets to pay to replace it ? http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2016/s4690434.htm
    Grateful Dead

Well done Larrisa Waters (Green) , a step forward for women and babies in the workplace.

Grateful Dead

Dutton on the new language test, I wonder how many dinkum Ozzies could pass. https://www.theguardian.com/australi...ed-opportunity
    Grateful Dead

Well we seem to have finished the parliamentary term with Turnbull and Shorten's 'popularity' at unusual lows.

'None of the above' seems to be doing very well.

Shorten after his charisma bypass and Turnbull after he's become transparently useless.
    Grateful Dead