Page 448 of 552 FirstFirst ... 348398438447448449458498548 ... LastLast
Results 15,646 to 15,680 of 19317

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I wonder if Labor would do anything about it? Plenty of them seem to have their snouts in the same trough.
    It`s true about the trough , but Labor has already indicated that they would ( at least ) make some significant changes regarding negative gearing.

So , I believe that they would do so , yes.

Abetz remains obsessed with the need to be able to insult and offend people using racial slurs. Idiot.

The rest of his party seems to be losing interest.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Pea and thimble tricks going on between the Libs/Nats/O.N. at present. I'm not at all sure that the ALP is doing enough to enhance their own standing over 'the others'.

The wage reduction decision is causing some government angst I think, they'll try to blur it's implementation over some time I expect.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 03-02-2017 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Pea and thimble tricks going on between the Libs/Nats/O.N. at present. I'm not at all sure that the ALP is doing enough to enhance their own standing over 'the others'.

The wage reduction decision is causing some government angst I think, they'll try to blur it's implementation over some time I expect.
    Turnbull now wants the impact of the cut minimized. Too easy, reverse the bloody decision.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Looks like Blackmail is official policy of the Social Services Department. Releasing personal data to pressure protesters into the false invoice scandal to keep quiet. Now they are applying the same pressures to veterans that query their system.
    Tuge is holding the line, which is not surprising seeing in the end he personally is responsible for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wet Feet View Post
    Quite right Sir.

I guess the US has been invaded , over two hundred years ago.
    Historical trivia, it's what we do.
    We don't know how lucky we are....

Looks like Blackmail is official policy of the Social Services Department. Releasing personal data to pressure protesters into the false invoice scandal to keep quiet. Now they are applying the same pressures to veterans that query their system.
    Tuge is holding the line, which is not surprising seeing in the end he personally is responsible for nothing.
    Bully the client, it's SOP now.

Quote Originally Posted by seanz View Post
    Historical trivia, it's what we do.
    And that`s ok Seanz ,

I think 9/11 changed things for ever. It was the first attack on US soil post WW 1 & 2 , and all of Americas other wars since.

The resultant fear mongering has been used effectively since.

Trump is keeping that alive.

I should have been a little clearer .

With the end of the contract in sight, Tassie is examining the future of poker machines in the state. Tassie has the biggest concentration of pokies in disadvantaged areas in Aus.
    Is it to much to expect that the will not issue another contract at all?

Bl00dy spell check. "Tassie" Task, taste tan, tusk...................

With the end of the contract in sight, Tassie is examining the future of poker machines in the state. Tassie has the biggest concentration of pokies in disadvantaged areas in Aus.
    Is it to much to expect that the will not issue another contract at all?

Bl00dy spell check. "Tassie" Task, taste tan, tusk...................

The disadvantaged are the cash cows of the gambling industry.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Interesting that the only focus here and in the media is on the Department and the Minister and no one (as far as I can see) has bothered to look at, investigate or report on the veracity of the claims by the individuals involved......
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Wet Feet View Post
    And that`s ok Seanz ,

I think 9/11 changed things for ever. It was the first attack on US soil post WW 1 & 2 , and all of Americas other wars since.

The resultant fear mongering has been used effectively since.

Trump is keeping that alive.

I should have been a little clearer .
    except it wasn't the first attack on u.s. soil since wwii
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Well there were the Japanese balloon bombs.

John Welsford

WTC truck bomb. First i can think of.

Bennie-bashing has got to stop. You cant have a democracy and a system that deliberatly disadvantages and then abuses people. well, you can, but it's wrong.

Dont apologise Wet feet, we enjoy this

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Interesting that the only focus here and in the media is on the Department and the Minister and no one (as far as I can see) has bothered to look at, investigate or report on the veracity of the claims by the individuals involved......
    As I recall it Labor paraded a whole lot of cases that were investigated and shown to be mostly bogus.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

The department does that investigating no? I don't think anyone else has the authority.
    I'm more concerned with the fishing process used, the false invoice matter that would see a private company in dead trouble, the 23 million (that's the figure being quoted) unanswered phone calls and what could be construed as demanding money with menaces.

And how much is overpayment by Centrelink? The have been notorious for not getting their figures right. For a while they were paying me something I wasn't entitled to and I had a deal of trouble getting them to stop. They have not actually asked for it back and would not accept a check saying their system wasn't set up for it, only fines.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 03-03-2017 at 02:17 AM.

That was the Oklahoma bombing by Timothy McVeigh wasn't it ?
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    As I recall it Labor paraded a whole lot of cases that were investigated and shown to be mostly bogus.
    Shifting the blame onto the victims now eh.
    http://www.news.com.au/finance/money...ed7f81f4c3272e

John Welsford

SOP.
    Grateful Dead

From News Corp, the Lib's mate. This is a monumental stuff up and denying it and calling it "fake news" just makes it worse. The Libs are going down this time.

JAMES Keygan describes himself as “a man in a box”.

The 47-year-old Tasmanian has schizophrenia that is so severe he sometimes struggles to even walk down the street.
    He also suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, depression and obsessive compulsive disorder.
    James has managed to hold down a supported work placement cleaning and gardening, but also relies on his disability pension. So when Centrelink told him just before Christmas he owed $7000, plus $600 in interest and fees, he went into meltdown.

“A lot of stuff I can’t grasp and I get upset,” he told news.com.au. “I was going to accept it. I don’t know how to argue with this stuff.
    “It blew me out of the water. If I wasn’t lucky enough to have someone in that supportive role, I’d probably be paying the debt. I am that stupid and I’m tired. I felt trapped.”

Fortunately, his ex-partner Tamara Lawson, with whom he has a 14-year-old daughter, contacted Centrelink for him and discovered a system error had generated an inaccurate debt. It was reduced to just a few hundred dollars.
    “If he sets a good routine he can do pretty well but anything outside of his routine sends him into chaos,” Tamara told news.com.au. “He’s stuck.
    “This is a very sick man. He’s been hospitalised before. It had been a very bad year.

“He was told a debt for several thousand dollars has been raised for the period of July 2014 to July 2016. He and I both know that he reported all of his earnings within this period.
    “They said, ‘we can’t give you your advance, you have a debt of more than $7000’. He rings me and goes into meltdown.”
    Grateful Dead

I doubt you'll see any change in attitude or process Gary, just holding the party, and the coalition together is occupying all their time.

I think some Nats may be working out that their only chance of survival is not being a pseudo Lib.

UPDATE 3 (Essential Research): The latest result from Essential Research moves a point in favour of Labor, putting their two-party lead at 53-47. This modest shift obscures some striking movement on the primary vote, with Labor up three points – very unusual from Essential’s normally sedentary fortnightly rolling average – with the Coalition, Greens, One Nation and Nick Xenophon Team all down a point, respectively to 37%, 9%, 9% and 3%. Other findings from the poll are that 44% approve and 35% disapprove of negative gearing; 37% approve and 41% disapprove of capital gains tax reductions on the same of investment properties; and 64% support and 16% oppose a royal commission into banking. Also featured are occasional questions on the attributes of Malcolm Turnbull and Bill Shorten, which record negligible change since September – the biggest being a five-point drop for Turnbull as “visionary”.

https://blogs.crikey.com.au/pollbludger/2017/02/26/newspoll-55-45-to-labor-4/
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    SOP.
    From News Corp, the Lib's mate. This is a monumental stuff up and denying it and calling it "fake news" just makes it worse. The Libs are going down this time.

JAMES Keygan describes himself as “a man in a box”.

The 47-year-old Tasmanian has schizophrenia that is so severe he sometimes struggles to even walk down the street.
    He also suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, depression and obsessive compulsive disorder.
    James has managed to hold down a supported work placement cleaning and gardening, but also relies on his disability pension. So when Centrelink told him just before Christmas he owed $7000, plus $600 in interest and fees, he went into meltdown.

“A lot of stuff I can’t grasp and I get upset,” he told news.com.au. “I was going to accept it. I don’t know how to argue with this stuff.
    “It blew me out of the water. If I wasn’t lucky enough to have someone in that supportive role, I’d probably be paying the debt. I am that stupid and I’m tired. I felt trapped.”

Fortunately, his ex-partner Tamara Lawson, with whom he has a 14-year-old daughter, contacted Centrelink for him and discovered a system error had generated an inaccurate debt. It was reduced to just a few hundred dollars.
    “If he sets a good routine he can do pretty well but anything outside of his routine sends him into chaos,” Tamara told news.com.au. “He’s stuck.
    “This is a very sick man. He’s been hospitalised before. It had been a very bad year.

“He was told a debt for several thousand dollars has been raised for the period of July 2014 to July 2016. He and I both know that he reported all of his earnings within this period.
    “They said, ‘we can’t give you your advance, you have a debt of more than $7000’. He rings me and goes into meltdown.”
    Where was that denied or called fake news? If you read the whole story it talks about errors in automatic letters being dispatched and matching claims to Centrelink against ATO declarations and investigating them further ....... and so on ......I don't recall any claims of fake news or denials.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I don't have links but there have been apologist politicians on the TV and radio diminishing the seriousness of chasing pensioners for thousands of dollars
    Grateful Dead

and there is a price to be paid for annoying power when it stuffs up. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-0...erview/8324818

Barnaby Joyce in 'train wreck' interview over Centrelink, privacy, veterans affairs

By political reporter: Ashlynne McGhee
    Updated 11 minutes ago

RELATED STORY: Minister referred to police over release of Centrelink details
    RELATED STORY: Politicians' media mix-ups and slip-ups

Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce has been caught seemingly unaware of the furore over his Government's release of private information, in what the Opposition is describing as "a total disaster" of a media interview.
    Key points:

• The Project hosts ask Barnaby Joyce about Government's release of private information
    • "No-one should be leaking for malicious purposes information," Mr Joyce says
    • Mr Joyce said he wasn't told the interview would be about privacy concerns

The Australian Federal Police has been asked to investigate Social Services Minister Alan Tudgewho authorised the leak of blogger Andie Fox's personal and protected Centrelink details in response to a story she wrote.
    The Government is also pushing for new powers that would allow it to release a veteran's personal information, should it wish to correct public statements.
    When asked on The Project about whether it was appropriate for the Government to release private information, Mr Joyce appeared confused.
    "If someone has broken the law, then I suppose that in that instance then it's basically, it's going to be investigated," he said as the hosts looked puzzled.
    "No-one should be leaking for malicious purposes information … especially if it's information that's been given privately."
    His comments are at odds with the Department of Human Services which has defended releasing the information to a journalist, insisting it was proportionate and legal.
    Grateful Dead

and there is a price to be paid for annoying power when it stuffs up. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-0...erview/8324818

Barnaby Joyce in 'train wreck' interview over Centrelink, privacy, veterans affairs

By political reporter: Ashlynne McGhee
    Updated 11 minutes ago

RELATED STORY: Minister referred to police over release of Centrelink details
    RELATED STORY: Politicians' media mix-ups and slip-ups

Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce has been caught seemingly unaware of the furore over his Government's release of private information, in what the Opposition is describing as "a total disaster" of a media interview.
    Key points:

• The Project hosts ask Barnaby Joyce about Government's release of private information
    • "No-one should be leaking for malicious purposes information," Mr Joyce says
    • Mr Joyce said he wasn't told the interview would be about privacy concerns

The Australian Federal Police has been asked to investigate Social Services Minister Alan Tudgewho authorised the leak of blogger Andie Fox's personal and protected Centrelink details in response to a story she wrote.
    The Government is also pushing for new powers that would allow it to release a veteran's personal information, should it wish to correct public statements.
    When asked on The Project about whether it was appropriate for the Government to release private information, Mr Joyce appeared confused.
    "If someone has broken the law, then I suppose that in that instance then it's basically, it's going to be investigated," he said as the hosts looked puzzled.
    "No-one should be leaking for malicious purposes information … especially if it's information that's been given privately."
    His comments are at odds with the Department of Human Services which has defended releasing the information to a journalist, insisting it was proportionate and legal.
    I would suggest you look into this further Peter, rather just believing the ABC who have established a reputation for publishing poorly researched stories in an continued attempt to bash Centrelink and the current government......

Barnaby Joyce is not the Minister for Human Services so he can not be expected to have had any briefing from that department on the issue or on what the Act does and does not allow....a piss poor attempt at portraying an inconsistent message.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

It's a hot topic so before presenting himself for an interview it would be wise to know more than a little about the subject. He's Deputy PM too.
    Grateful Dead

On another topic .....

Print Email Facebook Twitter More
    Donald Trump, issues in South China Sea could cause problems for Australian fuel supply, experts say

AM
    By Eliza Borrello

Updated Fri at 1:24pm

Australian Strategic Policy Institute expert Andrew Davies said the international security situation had "certainly taken a turn for the worse" after Mr Trump's election.Security experts say Donald Trump's election as US President warrants another look at Australia's fuel security and could justify another Defence Force Posture Review.

"If you look at some of the Trump administration rhetoric about the South China Sea for example, you could easily see them stumbling into a confrontation with China," Mr Davies said.
    He said if such a conflict happened energy security would be chief among Australia's concerns.
    "I think Australia has more of an import vulnerability than an export vulnerability if the South China Sea heats up. I think that would be our number one problem," he said.
    "We rely on Singapore for an awful lot of our refined fuel products."
    Impasse 'could lead to conflict'

One of the United States' most senior ex-military officers warns that misunderstandings between China and the US may lead to open conflict over the South China Sea.

The oil Australia imports from Singapore comes through the South China Sea and the nation's increasing reliance on it has long worried the National Roads and Motorists Association (NRMA).
    NRMA spokesman Peter Khoury said Australia's size and the fact it relies heavily on trucks made it especially vulnerable.

Rest of the story at http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-0...a-fuel/8321230
    Grateful Dead

I would suggest you look into this further Peter, rather just believing the ABC who have established a reputation for publishing poorly researched stories in an continued attempt to bash Centrelink and the current government......

Barnaby Joyce is not the Minister for Human Services so he can not be expected to have had any briefing from that department on the issue or on what the Act does and does not allow....a piss poor attempt at portraying an inconsistent message.
    G'day Greg, missed you at Hobart.
    Anyone in Aus. with an interest in recent politics knows the history of this one, and as DPM Barnaby has a bit more than an interest.
    But I can see that if he was prepared by his minders for one set of questions this one may have thrown him. He is not good at thinking on his feet. That said it's just another Barney boo boo and for that reason will pass I think.
    More amusing than serious.

Not just the ABC.
    https://www.theguardian.com/australi...blic-criticism

I doubt it's about bashing Centrelink, they are just the meat in the sandwich.

John Welsford

The department confirmed that Fox’s personal information was approved for release to Fairfax Media. It said it was necessary to correct the public record about several inaccurate claims Fox had made.
    The information was approved for release by a deputy secretary. The department’s head of legal services and general counsel both said they were comfortable with the release of the information. It was then provided to Fairfax Media by the office of the human services minister, Alan Tudge.
    A spokeswoman said the department was able to use personal information “for social security law or family assistance law purposes”.
    Personally I believe the information was released to discredit her.

John Welsford

Of course it was, this government is desperate.

I heard Sheridan on radio today talking of the repositioning of the Australian voter and it's effect on traditional party positions. He thinks that the conservatives are in just as much trouble as Labour in the developing mix. And Pauline is 'repositioning' as well but her biggest problem will be controlling the loose cannons that are her candidates.

I don't like Hanson but I understand why people are turning to her.

John Welsford

I don't like Hanson but I understand why people are turning to her.
    I'm not at all sure the majors do.