Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

Yep, sample size.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Yep, sample size.
    Cut it any way you want, more LibNat voters support that proposition than Greens voters do.

Now, do you think you can work out why more LibNats were surveyed than Greens?

Did you like the other diagram in the source report that showed the breakup of why the Greens voters supported the proposition?

The Greens sadly are not the answer, they are a dispirit ginger group that just happens too have been thrown a slice of power by a bad prime ministerial decision. It has to be bipartisan and that is a long way off. But it really doesn't matter, it's happening, and even if there was total agreement that humans had a part in it and the planet's population changed course tomorrow, it'd be 2-300 years before we noticed and it'd like not settle back to where we were in say 1850, or 1950. Not to say we in Aus should just make it worse, but some sign of coping strategies re population, internal food security, local climate changes (like SW WA drying out) and the problem of populations in fire prone areas for instance. Not arguing about a bl..dy shotgun and a few tax dollars from itinerant workers!

Bipartisanship on AGW is a sweet dream but the current two coal dependent parties will never speak against their donors.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    The Greens sadly are not the answer, they are a dispirit ginger group that just happens too have been thrown a slice of power by a bad prime ministerial decision. It has to be bipartisan and that is a long way off. But it really doesn't matter, it's happening, and even if there was total agreement that humans had a part in it and the planet's population changed course tomorrow, it'd be 2-300 years before we noticed and it'd like not settle back to where we were in say 1850, or 1950. Not to say we in Aus should just make it worse, but some sign of coping strategies re population, internal food security, local climate changes (like SW WA drying out) and the problem of populations in fire prone areas for instance. Not arguing about a bl..dy shotgun and a few tax dollars from itinerant workers!
    Yeah - based on the last election, where the Greens got only 8.6% of first preference votes, they are over-represented in the survey anyhow, by exactly 33%.

Dodgy survey results don't help Peter make his case.

My case is that Liberals can't accept the science, they prefer political correctness of the Liberal type or the views of shock jocks... or they're just dumb.
    Grateful Dead

Accepting the science, unless it's a totally bi partisan decision, would mean electoral oblivion for the party concerned because of employment. And now of course the majors are scared witless of Pauline. In fact of course allied with the Lib right she already has quite a lot without even anything getting to a vote in either house.
    However it would not surprise me if the greater proportion of the Libs are not comfortable with the RW's decision. (see above para) Maybe a Lib/Nat RW break away and the Paulines would be enough to form a government....................
    (Shrug).
    Glad I never had kids.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 12-08-2016 at 04:12 AM.

A bi or tripartisan agreement between Labor and the Libs ( and a fair number of AGW worried ) Nats could work.... if they had the courage . Asking a lot I know but some of them have kids and grandkids.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Accepting the science, unless it's a totally bi partisan decision, would mean electoral oblivion for the party concerned because of employment. And now of course the majors are scared witless of Pauline. In fact of course allied with the Lib right she already has quite a lot without even anything getting to a vote in either house.
    However it would not surprise me if the greater proportion of the Libs are not comfortable with the RW's decision. (see above para) Maybe a Lib/Nat RW break away and the Paulines would be enough to form a government....................
    (Shrug).
    Glad I never had kids.
    Given the range renewable energy options I reckon there would be a lot infrastructure construction jobs.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

It would be a generation of jobs and a lot more jobs than coal mines.
    Grateful Dead

Why am I not surprised that my 8 cents a day public broadcaster didn't cover this important story?

Noel Pearson: compassionistas’ bigotry worst threat to indigenous

Noel Pearson has declared the greatest threat to the advancement of indigenous people in Australian society is the soft bigotry of the ‘progressive’ left, a group he has coined ‘compassionistas’.

“We have a discrimination act in the form of 18C in relation to hard bigotry, but it’s soft bigotry that is a bigger issue,” he told David Speers on Sky News tonight.

Pearson believes soft bigotry is the mirror image of the traditional understanding of bigotry, which he says is usually associated with the political and cultural right.

“We know that side of discrimination very well, we even have laws prohibiting it,” he said. “But there’s a shadow discrimination that mirrors the hard bigotry called soft bigotry which is when people who are supposedly compassionate towards our people or disadvantaged people, nevertheless hold prejudicial assumptions about us and engage in double standards.”

Pearson said such double standards included the low expectations of “false progressives” for indigenous people compared to the expectations they have for themselves and their own children.

“They have a certain sense of what role Aboriginal people should play,” he said. “Why can’t we have similar aspirations for our children?”

Pearson also said the ‘compassionistas’ habit of attacking policy geared towards the social and economic advancement of indigenous people had trapped reformers such as himself in a “zero-sum game”.

The Aboriginal leader amplified his recent attack on the ABC with a sweeping indictment of “the left” generally over indigenous policy failure.

“There’s a set of hot button topics that get these characters in the progressive media to break out in hives,” he said. “They attack things like welfare reform, education reform, alcohol bans and other economic opportunities for our people”.

He admits left supporters helped indigenous Australians gain rights to land through Native Title, but then went onto support “unscrupulous” Labor governments that imposed conservation regimes which prevented his people ever using the land.

“I thought you supported our land rights?” he said. “Now you’re preventing future generations from ever using our lands.”

The interview followed a speech he made in Brisbane earlier today at an at an event organised by his organisation, Good to Great Schools Australia, where he said:

“We will die in the arms of the false progressives whom we mistakenly think are on our side, but they harbour a basic bigotry towards our humanity and oppose our dignity at too many turns”.

Maybe because the article is from the Oz?
    FYI
    http://search.abc.net.au/s/search.ht...ta&form=simple
    I think Pearson gets more than his 8 cents worth out of the ABC. There are a great number of very successful aborigines out there who are not footballers or boxers. Which is contrary to what one might believe when watching commercial tv.

Wow, here's one I missed.

One Nation senator Pauline Hanson says Wikileaks founder Julian Assange should be freed, and has likened his plight to that of Australian bushranger Ned Kelly.
    In a letter addressed to Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, Senator Hanson urged him to begin a multilateral process bringing all Australian political parties together to support Mr Assange.
    "Australia has a long and proud history of anti-establishment folk heroes," she said in the letter.
    "One only needs to look at the case of Ned Kelly to see this is true.
    "Ned Kelly faced government oppression and corruption and was eventually shot and hung.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-2...-kelly/8076808

And surprise surprise!
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-0...argets/8105386

A leaked report into the country's electricity market says Australia is not on track to meet the Paris climate change commitments and that investment in the sector has stalled because there is no long-term Government policy to reduce carbon emissions.
    Still trying to decide what colour the lifeboats should painted.
    Last edited by WX; 12-08-2016 at 11:25 PM.

Orange of course, the policy is already in place, the lifeboats too.
    Grateful Dead

Is that the report by the chief scientist? It was supposed to be released at the COAG meeting, about today I think. I wonder if it will be, probably now if that's the one already leaked. It was the report Freudenberg relied on for the announcement , (now denied it ever happened), last week.

Incompetents and denialists.
    Grateful Dead

''The Finkel review also looks at the lack of a predictable and long-term energy direction, pointing that there is no clear plan beyond 2020.
    One of the current policies is Direct Action, which pays polluters to cut their emissions via the emissions reduction fund.
    But the report notes the fund is not helping the electricity sector to improve efficiency.
    "It's not doing anything to address emissions in a meaningful way from the largest source of emissions in the economy which is the electricity sector," Mr Edis said.''

but of course a market based solution is a no no for this mob of incompetent Stalinists .

Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Maybe because the article is from the Oz?
    FYI
    http://search.abc.net.au/s/search.ht...ta&form=simple
    I think Pearson gets more than his 8 cents worth out of the ABC. There are a great number of very successful aborigines out there who are not footballers or boxers. Which is contrary to what one might believe when watching commercial tv.
    I generally agree with Noel.

Rick

I'm not at all sure anyone can fix the mess except aborigine people themselves. The ABC isn't really a player at all, they report. Noel doesn't like the stories.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I generally agree with Noel.

Rick
    As do I.

The Adler shotgun goes to Category D. A bit of sanity at last.
    Grateful Dead

One Nat doesn't agree, publicly. Who knows how many others?
    With a one seat 'coalition' majority the Nats are playing games I think.

There is certainly a group that thinks we have a 2nd Amendment in Australia.
    Grateful Dead

Yes, I know they aren't bears.
    Grateful Dead

Unbearable

Rick

Really really disgusted. I mean okay cut the radio play but The Inside Sleeve!?
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...-national-cuts

I know, it's completely withing the ABC charter too. Barbarians ! I signed.
    Grateful Dead

I know, it's completely withing the ABC charter too. Barbarians ! I signed.
    Who gave her the job? Certainly wasn't someone who likes the ABC...and she worked for News Corp, that in itself is a worry.

The Libs are in power, the Lib Right hates the ABC.... 'nuff said .
    Grateful Dead

I reckon she's still working for Rupert. Said so from the beginning, she's was there for a very long time.

Yabber, yabber.... our figurehead isn't enough of a Trot.... yabber, yabber.

We seem to have an unhappy Stalinist aboard.
    Grateful Dead

We seem to have an unhappy Stalinist aboard.
    If he's good next year we will let him wear long pants.

Not til he gets to High School.
    Grateful Dead