Page 390 of 814 FirstFirst ... 290340380389390391400440490 ... LastLast
Results 13,616 to 13,650 of 28483

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

I wonder who would bleed more voters to Hanson? The Nats are suffering from the Shooters , Fishers and Cucumber Growers.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Anyone see the Hanson bit where she said she has yet to see any Muslims stand up beside her and condemn Islam?
    I wonder if she actually thought afterwards...hmm, could have worded that better.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    From Michael Koziol.
    I was highly amused at the headline:

"Parties vie to 'Make Australia great again' before Hanson does''.
    If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, Donald Trump must be fairly chuffed with his reception Down Under this week. With Peter Dutton attacking refugee policy, Malcolm Turnbull bashing the media and Bill Shorten targeting foreign workers, echoes of the Don's campaign were suddenly everywhere.
    The broad lesson absorbed by both sides is a pretty compelling (if somewhat obvious) one: in the context of ongoing and rapid economic change, you abandon disaffected voters at your peril. As the PM put it, the rising tide must be seen to lift all boats.
    Meanwhile Shorten, who once described the President-elect's views as "barking mad", was keen to Make Australia Great Again. "We will buy Australian, build Australian, make in Australia and employ Australians," he told The Australian Financial Review, announcing a proposed crackdown on 457 visas for foreign workers. "My party will heed the lessons of Detroit, Michigan, of Ohio and Pennsylvania. We're not going to lose our blue-collar voters like the Democrats did."
    Aussie jobs became the theme of Labor's week. Turnbull's own Trump-esque moment came on the730 program on Monday night, when he repeatedly dubbed the ABC the "elite media" and said it was obsessed with fringe issues. "The real issue, and real challenge, for politicians and, dare I say it, journalists, is to actually get in touch with the people, listen to the people," Turnbull implored.
    As far as media criticism goes, it's not quite as blunt as the "CNN sucks" chants from supporters at some of Trump's campaign rallies. But it was a peculiar narrative for the PM to weave, , given he is historically an enthusiastic supporter of Aunty.
    Deputy prime minister Barnaby Joyce tried the same tack just hours later on Q&A. He said people were frustrated at media outlets such as the ABC for embodying the "political class" and getting tangled up in "beltway" issues. Joyce can at least pull off the man-of-the-people shtick a little more credibly than Turnbull.
    And Immigration Minister Peter Dutton had his own touch of the Trumps on Thursday when he complained of gang-related violence by new migrants said we were now paying the price for Malcolm Fraser's "mistake" of bringing in refugees in the 1970s.
    Both sides of politics swear they're not just plucking pages from the Trump playbook. Maybe just drawing a little inspiration. Labor aides, for example, say they had already pencilled in the assault on 457 visas for this week, and the party has been talking about 457s for a long time – particularly in Queensland. If anything, Labor is capitalising on Trump's win to breathe new life into its old agenda and ramp up the rhetoric. "I hate to say it, but we're pretty agile," a senior adviser joked.
    Turnbull's foray into lingua Trump, meanwhile, was not premeditated by his media flaks, who assured they did not coach the boss to that extent. But it signals a greater consciousness of and willingness to talk about matters of economic class: the sort of issue that is often dismissed as non-existent in Australia.
    The dark cloud hanging over both sides of mainstream politics is a resurgent One Nation ready to capture that class-based resentment. Socially conservative but economically of the protectionist Left, Pauline Hanson's party – like Trump – rails against immigrants and foreigners without shame and elicits great sympathy whenever it targets the so-called establishment – mainstream politicians, the media, inner-city elites.
    One Nation has already claimed the government is dancing to its tune and when Shorten dug in on Aussie jobs, Hanson was quick to take credit. "When you look at Bill Shorten's recent rhetoric it seems Labor is now taking its cues from Pauline Hanson's One Nation. Good to see," she tweeted.
    Former Queensland premier Campbell Newman, who this week met with One Nation's top adviser James Ashby, has confidently predicted the state's next government will be a coalition with One Nation. The prospect of that sort of resurgence, fuelled by working class disaffection, will keep major party strategists awake at night.
    Trump's win may not dramatically change Australian domestic affairs but both sides expect that for the next few months, much of politics will be seen through the prism of Trumpism. If they can exploit that, and prevent votes bleeding to One Nation, they would consider that a win – "big league", as Trump would say.
    http://www.theage.com.au/federal-pol...17-gsroia.html

Brown Nose Day anyone?

''Former Queensland premier Campbell Newman, who this week met with One Nation's top adviser James Ashby, has confidently predicted the state's next government will be a coalition with One Nation. The prospect of that sort of resurgence, fuelled by working class disaffection, will keep major party strategists awake at night.''

Shudder !
    Grateful Dead

Speaking to Sky News on Monday, Mr Newman said the next Queensland election would be decided by One Nation, with polls showing voters are still undecided about both major parties, while support for Senator Hanson's party continues to grow.
    "So the next government in Queensland will have to be a coalition government with One Nation," he said, adding that he believed Senator Hanson was an "older and wiser politician than 20 years ago".
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Brown Nose Day anyone?
    Try Cathy Wilcox's cartoons, the one with Mal on the phone to Donald……..
    http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/f...0909-fhd6.html

Trumpism has arrived . Sound your Trumpets .
    Grateful Dead

I see 7/11 are in the news again. It is likely that the business model is not viable if they follow the law re wages and conditions. The prospectus's were likely 'exaggerated', and many local mixed businesses put out of the market by an business model based on illegal practices.
    Likely many of these and similar operations, including many service stations are operating in the same manner.
    I doubt the present govt have it on their radar and would rather it just wen't away. The OS student situation is interesting in that they and the present conditions are likely essential to the financial viability of the operations.
    I presume these will go through the courts, but the guarantee of non-deportation for OS student witnesses is essential.

The story about employees being required to give back a proportion of their pay was very strange ! Heads will roll....
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Mitziel View Post
    This is the bit that especially interested me. I'm guessing that might be the same James Ashby in the news a few years ago as staffer for Liberal Peter Slipper and close associate, shall we say, of the Minister Chris Pyne.

If that is the same James Ashby, then he joins the long line of staffers migrating from the LibNats to One Nation.

In the context of that quoted article, it is worth noting that no Labor staffers, to my knowledge, have gone over to the dark side.
    Seriously?

Get out of the gutter with your commentary.

I'm surprised that the local lefties haven't pilloried you for sullying the thread with this sort of innuendo.

Interesting meeting with the UNHCR today.

Two new camps needed to deal with the Mosul refugees.

Any lefties prepared to put their hands in their pockets?

A hand grenade is about to enter the House and its name is James Ashby. https://independentaustralia.net/pol...d-grenade,9210
    On 28 July 2015, ABC Sunshine Coast radioreported:
    Pauline Hanson has been ubiquitous of late, attending Reclaim Australia rallies and other political events around the country on a busy schedule, for which she has contracted the services of a pilot named James Ashby...
    ... Mr Ashby said he also had something to offer Ms Hanson, beyond transporting her safely to a destination.
"I've learnt a lot over the last couple of years and that experience comes in handy," he said.
    You bet it will.
    Pauline and James are close. As in tight. They have spent much of the last 18 months sitting next to each other in a Jabiru J230 light aircraft — a rented two-seater that carries a few bags, cruises at 120kph and has a cabin 112cm wide. That’s tighter than an Austin 7.
    Grateful Dead

James Ashby

Grateful Dead

Never been a fan of the truth, have you.
    If you think that sexual innuendo is the basis of Australian political discussion, you go right ahead. It positions you right where I think you belong.

I'm no fan of Hanson, Ashby or Slipper.... or for that matter, Pyne, but I'm not going to pursue any of them, nor any other politician with the sort of gutter tripe you laid on the forum tonight.

It's disgusting.

Politics comes out of politician's mouths Ian, thus the personalities are relevant. You may prefer to only criticise the "left" but allow us a wider view.
    Grateful Dead

Some Lib/Nats have gone further. Dutton on Fraser's immigration programme.
    I am not so taken by Fraser as some others, but Dutton is not worthy of being Frasers bootstrap.

On the Nats and the loss of the by election over a shotgun. Blind adherence and basically integration with the libs may be about to bite them on the but.

On the passing of the DD bill, after refusing compromise and having an election costing millions what do the coalition do? Compromise so as to get a run on the board. Brilliant. But I do think the amended bill will go a long way to cleaning up both sides of this.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 11-21-2016 at 03:57 PM.

The original Lebanese grandfathers and grandmothers walked into a lack of employment, hardly their fault..... but to make a general condemnation of their grandchildren is just plain stupid .....Duttonish.
    Grateful Dead

Nice story about Keating's latest biography in the Oz today. It kicks off with this:

Aboriginal leader Noel Pearson has described the ABC as a fundamentally racist organisation, content to see Aboriginal people languish in poverty in order to wallow in hand-wringing reports of misery, incarceration and tragedy.

Mr Pearson’s searing assessment came at the launch of Troy Bramston’s biography of Paul Keating, who made true reconciliation with the Aboriginal people, via Mabo and native title legislation a cornerstone of his prime ministership.

Mr Pearson said many of Mr Keating’s most promising reforms in the arena of indigenous affairs had been “wrecked by ignorant ministers and malign bureaucrats, aided and abetted by the media, not least the country’s miserable, racist, national broadcaster”. The ABC was, he said, “a spittoon’s worth of perverse people willing the wretched to fail”.

“They need blacks to remain alienated and incarcerated, leading short lives of grief and tribulation because if it were not so, against whom would they direct their soft bigotry of low expectations?” he said.

“About whom could they report of misery and bleeding tragedy?” He said that between the ABC on the Left and Quadrant
    on the Right lies “the common ground of mutual racism”.

Yes, reporting a situation is racist, better not to mention it .
    Grateful Dead

Oh, and I see that miserable grub, David Hicks, is back in court. Assault charge... against his domestic partner. Once a grub, always a grub... but still the darling of the left.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Yes, reporting a situation is racist, better not to mention it .
    That was indeed the nature of the 18C complaint against Bill Leak.

I'm glad to see you starting to come around to the right way of seeing things.

Darling ? No, just a victim of the Right.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Darling ? No, just a victim of the Right.
    Oops, you were doing so well there for a brief minute. Now you're slipping again.

Victim eh?

Yes, worth a lot of votes to Howard. http://thejusticecampaign.org/?page_id=14

David Hicks is not a terrorist- David was formally cleared in February 2015. David has never been accused of hurting anyone, participating in, supporting, preparing for or knowing about the preparation of a terrorist act. The final charge in the Military Commissions hearing was one count under the Material Support for Terrorism charge- which was foreign to Australian and international law- that did not accuse him of personally supporting terrorism, rather, it was alleged that he associated with an organisation that supported terrorism.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Oops, you were doing so well there for a brief minute. Now you're slipping again.

Victim eh?

Not much danger with no RPG in the tube.

Well, one of your problems is you can't read. I didn't claim to expose anything; I said that your twisted and uptight rant was itself suggestive of certain personal anxieties about the issue under discussion.

You're not a lone case; it's been well documented that spluttering, frothing anger on this topic can point to such unresolved issues. There are professional folk who can assist, should you decide to deal with it.

And I can only hope you do choose to deal with it, both for your own sake and because it might make you a less obnoxious little forumite.

PS: you will likely label this post a 'personal attack' but rest assured it is truly driven by my concern for your psychological well-being.
    Another obnoxious post that the lefties will ignore

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Not much danger with no RPG in the tube.

He has admitted firing into populated areas. Is that acceptable to you?

He has admitted firing into populated areas. Is that acceptable to you?
    He paid the price for his stupidity and will no doubt continue to pay psychologically for many years to come given his treatment by the torturers of Guantanamo.

Another obnoxious post that the lefties will ignore
    Ignore someone trying to help you ? You are being offered good advice from someone who cares.
    Grateful Dead

And well they might - it's not their psychological welfare I have concern for.

Rather, it's your daily volcanic anger and surging bile on all matters that is the concern. I can't begin to imagine how terrible it must be for folk who have to put up with this behaviour on a personal level, or in the workplace.

To repeat, I strongly advise enlisting some psychological guidance to help unravel the evident tightly bound fears, anxieties and frailties which govern such behaviour - before it's too late.

Good Dog man, you apparently see a lot of things that simply aren't there. Quite amazing really

We see them even if you don't.
    Grateful Dead

Trump strikes.
    TPP: out the door.
    CO2 emission reduction: out the door.
    Increased coal, shale oil etc is in.

If you think the ABC is biased towards him pay close attention to how his behaviour is being reported on shows like The Project.

Good Dog man, you apparently see a lot of things that simply aren't there. Quite amazing really
    Either everyone else is wrong...or you are.