Page 345 of 803 FirstFirst ... 245295335344345346355395445 ... LastLast
Results 12,041 to 12,075 of 28098

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

It's not about just having the budget allowed through, it's about a total approach to economic management.

​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    It's not about just having the budget allowed through, it's about a total approach to economic management.
    The budget is about how the economy is managed. I'd want to ask a few questions as well if I was in parliament.

How would this be as a new Australian flag? The present one represents our past masters, this new one may well represent our new ones.

Not to mention large tracts of dairy and agistment country in Gippsland, and plants and equipment bought and closed down. Quite a bit of attempted secrecy about that too.
    I suspect that vertical integration is in the wind. But of course it's not the first time. Brit's, Americans and Japanese. come to mind.

More importantly I note that Aboriginal numbers in custody are up by 50% in the last 10 years. The most enduring failure by all of the rest of us to get it even part right.

I think you have it Gary, I'm not sure how we kept the stars and strips off our flag .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Not to mention large tracts of dairy and agistment country in Gippsland, and plants and equipment bought and closed down. Quite a bit of attempted secrecy about that too.
    I suspect that vertical integration is in the wind. But of course it's not the first time. Brit's, Americans and Japanese. come to mind.

More importantly I note that Aboriginal numbers in custody are up by 50% in the last 10 years. The most enduring failure by all of the rest of us to get it even part right.

You illustrate the problem perfectly.

You say that it is our failure.

It ain't.

It's a failure of personal and parental responsibility.

Until people take responsibility for their own actions, it won't be solved.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    How would this be as a new Australian flag? The present one represents our past masters, this new one may well represent our new ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I think you have it Gary, I'm not sure how we kept the stars and strips off our flag .
    Poppycock from redneck Trots. Total foreign investment stock in Oz is about $3 trillion.

You guys might want to tell us how you'd manage the economy without it, eh?

Here's the facts:

http://dfat.gov.au/trade/topics/inve...australia.aspx

Rank Country A$b % of total
    1 United States 860.3 28.4
    2 United Kingdom 499.9 16.5
    3 Belgium 238.5 7.9
    4 Japan 199.6 6.6
    5 Singapore 98.6 3.3
    6 Hong Kong (SAR of China) 85.4 2.8
    7 China 74.9 2.5
    8 Netherlands 63.0 2.1
    9 Luxembourg 58.3 1.9
    10 Switzerland 50.2 1.7
    11 Germany 41.2 1.4
    12 New Zealand 39.7 1.3
    13 Canada 38.8 1.3
    14 Bermuda 25.9 0.9
    15 Republic of Korea 23.3 0.8
    16 Virgin Islands, British 22.9 0.8
    17 France 22.1 0.7
    18 Malaysia 20.5 0.7
    19 Ireland 18.4 0.6
    20 Cayman Islands 13.8 0.5

Morrison made the right call on the power grid though. He gets it right sometimes.
    Grateful Dead

Looks like it's going to happen.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-37115249

The Corrective Services Administrators Council (CSAC) refused to cooperate with research commissioned by the Australasian Institute of Judicial Administration (AIJA), which will be released at a conference in Alice Springs tomorrow.
    The president of AIJA, Western Australian Justice Robert Mazza, said their decision was disappointing and that greater transparency was needed.
    "What it means is that there isn't any publicly available information concerning the effectiveness of prison rehabilitation programs for Indigenous offenders," said Justice Mazza.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-2...report/7780858

Looks like it's going to happen.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-37115249
    Oh excellent.... we just love projects like that, where self-entitled yobbos decide to spend an un-necessary $23,000 per head on frivolous projects. What was that about them being poor, again please?

Oh excellent.... we just love projects like that, where self-entitled yobbos decide to spend an un-necessary $23,000 per head on frivolous projects. What was that about them being poor, again please?
    Self entitled...what the hell does that even mean?
    the 300 people of Tyalgum collectively spend A$700,000 (£406,000, $534,000) a year on electricity, with 55% of that going to maintain the poles and wires.
    Last edited by WX; 08-24-2016 at 01:00 AM.

What was that about self entitled yobbos? Seems we have one for PM.

Self entitled...what the hell does that even mean?
    It means Ian likes....loves coal and anyone who isn't using it is unAustralian.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    It means Ian likes....loves coal and anyone who isn't using it is unAustralian.
    Oh look, a rude PS, putting words into someone else's mouth again. Shove those words back where they came from, or anywhere else they'll fit. You have shown time and again that you have zero knowledge of my preferences when it comes to energy sources.

What it means, Gary, is that you have a group of people... taking government handouts (self admitted in the story)... and wanting to spend $23,000+ per person on unnecessary infrastructure replacement that suits their self-declared interests, over the needs of other citizens. There's a reason why governments are involved in infrastructure provision.... and my objection to this folly isn't related in any way to coal or whatever source the energy comes from.... it's in relation their attempted inequitable queue-jumping

Building railways to export coal. http://www.railway-technology.com/pr...hunter-valley/ Helping pollute the planet's atmosphere at taxpayers expense.

and after years of reading your posts I have a very good idea of your opinions Ian ....what is it ?10 years ?
    Grateful Dead

I was reminded of this recently.

Internet Coward
    The act of using social media to communicate subliminal messages or take "shots" at a person you clearly have a problem or issue with by making indirect statements and comments on the Internet. You have no courage or "balls" to call them on the phone and speak directly, email them privately or sit down for a one on one in resolving the issue.
    Sarah, the ex-girlfriend behaviors are consistent with a internet coward as she obviously has an issue with her ex's new fiancée being around her children based on her numerous social media posts of 'Wicked Stepparents'.

During the morning departmental meeting, our two co-workers disagreed about the next steps to take in finalizing our company project. This evening, worker #1 is behaving like a internet coward and has made several status post on Facebook clearly directed to worker #2 in subliminal messages.

#attention seeking behaviors #no accountability #immature #haters #jealous#bullies #two faced #passive aggressive #rejects #racist #low self esteem #self embarrassment miserable #unhappy #manipulative #personality disorders#stalkers #fake christian #insecure #weak minded #childish

Would you like some cheese with your whine ?

Strange isn't it, polluting the local creek is a crime , polluting the planet's atmosphere is business as usual.
    Grateful Dead

Oh look, a rude PS, putting words into someone else's mouth again. Shove those words back where they came from, or anywhere else they'll fit. You have shown time and again that you have zero knowledge of my preferences when it comes to energy sources.

What it means, Gary, is that you have a group of people... taking government handouts (self admitted in the story)... and wanting to spend $23,000+ per person on unnecessary infrastructure replacement that suits their self-declared interests, over the needs of other citizens. There's a reason why governments are involved in infrastructure provision.... and my objection to this folly isn't related in any way to coal or whatever source the energy comes from.... it's in relation their attempted inequitable queue-jumping
    You really do live on another planet don't you? That has got to be one of the weirdest arguments for not doing something I have read for a while.

The government gave them a pathetic $15,000 towards the project. How much does the government give the coal and gas industry to flog off our resources at bargain basement prices over seas? I bet it's a damn sight more than $15,000!

You really do live on another planet don't you? That has got to be one of the weirdest arguments for not doing something I have read for a while.
    Queue jumping? Have you any idea how insane that is?

Re coal, Morrison and investment.
    Why any super fund of any description would 'invest' in a failing market is beyond me and should not be on the cards. I can only presume that he was alluding to Adani and it's failure to get loan funding. Investing in a possible stranded asset?
    If the figures I have heard are right we Australians, courtesy of compulsory super, are amongst the top 5 savers in the world and the amount involved in the march quarter was round 2 trillion*. Funds could actually buy whole large companies holus bolus, or take up such a shareholding they could control them. I must confess I do not know if this has happened in Aus, but it seems it has in the US. I wonder if the Feds will have another go at nobbling the industry funds this term?
    Super seems to have been a bone of contention within the Lib/Nats for at least a year, and Labour has it's own ideas that the Coalition are unlikely to adopt. Then there's the senate………...

* https://www.superannuation.asn.au/re...ion-statistics
    Last edited by skuthorp; 08-24-2016 at 07:41 AM.

The government gave them a pathetic $15,000 towards the project. How much does the government give the coal and gas industry to flog off our resources at bargain basement prices over seas? I bet it's a damn sight more than $15,000!
    On a per capita basis, that's 750% the amount allocated for the same sex marriage plebiscite.

Tch tch... you aren't consistent, are you?

Queue jumping? Have you any idea how insane that is?
    I'm improving my understanding of just that all the time, when I see your inability to understand the issues.

I'm glad to see the Government is pulling the plug on the Private Colleges rort, a Labour 'initiative'. It could have been a good idea but the establishing legislation was never rigourous enough and was never adequately governed.
    A giant rort. I hope they abolish the whole scheme and start again.

THE federal government says it is willing to consider a wide-scale audit of training providers to weed out rorting of the $1.6 billion VET FEE-HELP loans scheme with inflated course fees.

It comes as evidence emerges of massive pricing discrepancies between fee-for-service and VET FEE-HELP courses being offered by a number of registered training organisations (RTOs), with taxpayers forking out up to 400 per cent premiums to line the pockets of training companies with government loans, many of which will never be repaid.

The deregulation of the VET FEE-HELP scheme has led to a massive increase in for-profit, private education providers and an industry-wide decline in quality.
    According to the Education Department, just over one quarter (26 per cent) of students who enrolled in VET FEE-HELP courses in 2011 finished within three years. Completion rates for online diplomas were abysmal, with just seven per cent of students completing their course.

The government bill for VET FEE-HELP loans blew out by $315 million last year to $1.615 billion, representing 189,000 students at 254 training providers.
    Modelling by the Grattan Institute estimates 40 per cent of those loans will never be repaid as those students’ income will never rise above the repayment threshold of $53,000, meaning taxpayers will wear that cost.

According to a University of Sydney study, some of Australia’s largest RTOs are raking in profit margins of more than 50 per cent off of these loans.
    Under the deregulated system, private training colleges are free to set their own fees. In effect, they have been handed a blank cheque from the Australian taxpayer.

In a perversion of a ‘pay what you want’ honour system, it’s become ‘charge whatever we can get away with’, critics argue. All the RTOs have to do is get students to sign up and keep them hanging around until the first census date, and the bulk of money goes straight into their pockets.

Under the Higher Education Support Act 2003, the government does not regulate tuition fees, but under the law a VET provider cannot charge different amounts for the same course based on whether the student pays upfront or through the VET FEE-HELP system.
    However, a news.com.au investigation has uncovered examples of RTOs apparently circumventing this restriction by operating under separate business names.
    Two Cairns-based RTOs are both owned by the same man and operate out of the same business address. One, which is approved for VET FEE-HELP, charges $12,750 for a Diploma of Management. The other, which sells courses direct to students, charges just $3420 for the same diploma, for which much of the course material appears to be identical. A number of other diplomas are offered at different rates.

Asked to explain the pricing discrepancy, the owner told news.com.au the “journey of study and learning” was “quite different” for students of the two RTOs.
    “They are two separate Registered Training Organisations (RTOs). Some qualifications are offered by both, and descriptions will be similar as like most RTOs reference is made to the Training Packages for this information,” he said. “The journey of study and learning is quite different for students from each of these RTOs.”

He added that each RTO had a different learning management system and curriculum. “Students studying under the VET FEE-HELP loan scheme receive a more comprehensive and frequent support, mentoring and training service which are not available to the other students,” he said.
    “These services are available to students upon access to the course they are enrolled into. It is also supported by a strong administration team, due to VET FEE-HELP procedures.”

In Sydney, a similar discrepancy exists between courses offered by two separate training providers owned by the same company, trading under the same RTO registration number.
    One provider offers a Diploma of Business for an upfront fee of $7000. The other charges $14,800 for its Diploma of Business — delivered online — under the VET FEE-HELP scheme.

more at http://www.news.com.au/finance/money...5939fbfdb6d66d
    Grateful Dead

On a per capita basis, that's 750% the amount allocated for the same sex marriage plebiscite.

Tch tch... you aren't consistent, are you?
    Total waste of money. A non issue both sides of politics are too gutless to fix.
    Apart from that your argument is meaningless.

Total waste of money. A non issue both sides of politics are too gutless to fix.
    Apart from that your argument is meaningless.
    It was good enough for Howard to change it a few years ago by a Parliamentary vote, why not now?
    Of course we know the answer to that.

Yep, it was Howard. He even invaded the wrong country on his own decision.
    Grateful Dead

For the record, not both sides. Labor is pressing, has always pressed for, a parliamentary vote. The problem is Malcolm, he's too weak even to require a conscience vote on his side.

Hmm, there are rumours about that the plebecite might not happen. Two brothers are still somewhat involved in politics on different sides. They had lunch yesterday. That might be great fun in parliament, you could sell tickets!

Dutton needs to employ some more staff to look for asbestos imports , the stuff is deadly !

Australian Border Force testing small fraction of building materials for asbestos

By Angelique Donnellan
    Updated 17 Jul 2016, 10:13pm
    PHOTO: Border Force tests materials shipped into Australia for asbestos. (ABC News)
    RELATED STORY: Dozens of Australian building sites contaminated with asbestos
    RELATED STORY: Asbestos illegally imported from China prompts questions, anger
    MAP: Adelaide 5000

The Australian agency responsible for stopping asbestos at the border has revealed it is only testing a fraction of shipments each year for the deadly substance.
    Key points:

• In China, products can be legally labelled "asbestos free" if the asbestos content is less than 5 per cent
    • Australian Border Force tests shipments coming into Australia based on a risk assessment
    • Since 2013, 17 shipments have tested positive for asbestos

Asbestos is slipping into the country from China and other Asian countries despite an import ban since 2003.
    This week, construction firm Yuanda was found to have unknowingly used asbestos-tainted gaskets sourced from China on a Brisbane high rise.
    The company has also been linked to the discovery of asbestos in roof panels in Perth's new children's hospital.
    The materials were also imported from China.
    Australian Border Force (ABF) Commander Erin Dale said asbestos was not illegal in China.
    be asbestos-free even if it contains 5 per cent asbestos material," she said.
    Commander Dale said every shipment underwent a risk assessment on arrival, after which a decision was made on whether products were tested for asbestos.
    She said more than 1,000 shipments had been flagged as fitting or being similar to a high-risk profile, of which 100 had been sent of for testing.
    When asked how the number of asbestos tests compared to the total number of shipments to Australia each year, Commander Dale could not answer.
    Xenophon calls for Senate inquiry

South Australian senator Nick Xenophon wants a Senate inquiry.
    "I understand Border Force's priority has been to stop the boats with asylum seekers, but perhaps they should also have a priority of stopping boats full of asbestos products that can kill Australians in years to come," he said.
    "When Border Force talks about having a targeted regime of enforcement, I'm pretty sceptical it seems that their target is an increasingly shrinking one and that's not good enough."
    Commander Dale said the ABF took the asbestos import issue seriously.
    "Of course it bothers me. I have family too and I don't want my child to be standing on a building site and be exposed to asbestos," she said.
    "That's why we are very vigilant and we are looking at different angles to see what is going to be most effective," she said.
    Border Force said that since 2013, it has had 17 positive matches for asbestos and has finalised 10 investigations.
    It declined to detail the number of prosecutions.
    "We are ramping up our efforts ... it is important that we can actually do the infringements and prosecutions," Commander Dale said.
    She said she had visited China in May to discuss the issues with government agencies and information about Australian requirements was now available to exporters and manufacturers.
    More at....... http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-1...tralia/7636276
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Hmm, there are rumours about that the plebecite might not happen. Two brothers are still somewhat involved in politics on different sides. They had lunch yesterday. That might be great fun in parliament, you could sell tickets!
    I reckon even if it goes ahead it will be set up to fail, there's too many god bothering homophobes on the LibNat side.

I have heard that only around 10% of all containers are scanned at the port of entry.