Page 195 of 816 FirstFirst ... 95145185194195196205245295695 ... LastLast
Results 6,791 to 6,825 of 28532

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

Not quite politics, at least in the narrow sense, but the subject has already been raised here.

Eight things racists say to try and convince people they're not being racist

When Alan Jones, Andrew Bolt, and Shane Warne are on the other side of an argument, I feel pretty good about my position....

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Bron gorn.
    We don't know how lucky we are....

And Bronny has resigned.
    Whose next? Rudduck? Maybe it's a way to sideline Malcolm?

At least she has a sense of humour .... "I have not taken this decision lightly, however it is because of my love and respect for the institution of Parliament and the Australian people that I have resigned as Speaker."I look forward to continuing to serve the people of Mackellar as their local member, the job that has always been my first responsibly despite other positions I have held within the Parliament."
    Grateful Dead

Has Tony only been in one year? It feels like longer.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

He has the ability to warp time .
    Grateful Dead

For him it still 1955………….

Aha! So the old biddy has finally fallen on her hat-pin, has she? Tha girt auld hen 'at wanted to be cock o' t' midden. How long did that take? Something over three weeks? Proves she's a slow learner, eh?

The next question is -- who will they replace her with? And the next question is, will her constituents have her back, or is the ogre finally out for good?

Mike

Malcolm ?
    Grateful Dead

She could have made things quite awkward for Tony. Don't know anything about her electorate. Replacement? Malcolm just to sideline him as well?

Bit early for bushfires isn't it? I thought you had snow a week ago.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 08-02-2015 at 08:06 AM.

Snow two weeks ago and now a bushfire!

She DID make things awkward for Tony, he hung on long enough for the whole mess to sink into the public memory.
    Grateful Dead

Presumably she's resigned as speaker, not from Parliament. See how she likes the backbenches. And good old Tony is promising to review the rules. Oh yes, it's the rules that were the problem, not greed, not a total detachment from the reality of the population, not an absence of morality, not a sense of entitlement. No, just the rules need to be a bit clearer. On ya Tones.

Hmm, Aus. poll says that Pine and other coalition members would lose their seats in SA if there is no ship building programme. Given that the subs were promised to Japan (another captains pick) some time ago a few more surface ships for SA and Vic dockyards are somewhat of a firefighting effort. But will they be canoes?

Grateful Dead

Who knows who will be the next 'Captain's Pick' for Speaker? I don't think Turnbull would take it, even if offered -- he still wants to be leader.

I doubt Bishop will resign her seat, any more than she wanted to resign the Chair. She's 'entitled' to it, see? Of course they may vote her out at the next election, but my guess is that she'll stay on until then. And who knows, it's a blue-ribbon Liberal seat, so she might still retain it.

As to her perceived 'right to entitlements', I think I've worked out where that comes from -- a combination of having been born with a silver spoon and her woefully poor academic record.

"Bishop undertook a five-year LLB program at the University of Sydney. However, she was deemed ineligible to continue after failing a number of subjects multiple times. Bishop failed a total of 11 subjects over six years. In her first year in 1960, she failed all four core subjects. In 1964, she failed four subjects again, and repeated them in 1965, in which she failed three again. The policy of the University of Sydney at the time was that a student was required to show cause why they should be allowed to repeat a subject for a third time, and Bishop was deemed ineligible to continue."

-- from Wiki, quoting David Leser, Bronwyn Bishop: A Woman in Pursuit of Power, 1994, Text Publishing, Melbourne

So I suspect her political life has been spent in pursuing the bureaucrats with the thesis, "I'm better than they are even if I don't have a degree, and I'll prove it." This particularly applies to senior members of the bureaucracy (who of course are usually very-highly qualified professionally). She's always seems to have been antagonistic towards bureaucrats and has belittled them whenever she thought she could get away with it. (I remember in a Senates Estimates hearing once when she so savagely attacked the then Tax Commissioner (Boucher? Carmody?) that she pretty-well ruined his career. Did she care? Did she hell. Was it deliberate? Of course it was -- drag other people down and it automatically places you higher, doesn't it?

So here's this woman, born with a silver spoon, having a well-earned inferiority complex, put in a position of power in the House. Of course she would wield her power ruthlessly. And did. Of course she would rip off the system. And did. The people who she was ripping off were only we taxpayers, remember? People far inferior to her in status. People who -- in the scheme of things -- don't really matter at all.

That's why she could never have apologised for abusing her position, why it took over three weeks (and goodness knows what political pressure) before she finally resigned it, and why the only 'apology' she made for all the rorts over all the years was along the lines of, 'I'm sorry I got caught.'

It find it interesting that Pyne (who did complete a law degree) supported her as Speaker for as long as he did, and even after Abbott had started retreating into the background. It's left him with some egg on his face, I think. But really, the entire Liberal Party has egg on its face after this whole debacle.

Mike

I'm wondering if the trigger for her resigning was a threat to cross the floor on a no confidence motion by some coalition members.

They are in bad enough shape anyway and she was sinking them fast !
    Grateful Dead

Will this be enough to save the Libs in SA ? Will the voters believe them twice ?

2,500 shipbuilding jobs 'safe' for Adelaide as Prime Minister announces local Navy frigate and corvette ship build

891 ABC Adelaide

Updated 17 minutes ago
    PHOTO: The ANZAC Class frigates are expected to be gradually replaced by a new fleet built at a cost of about $20 billion.(Department of Defence)

Up to 2,500 shipbuilding jobs in Adelaide will be safe for "all time", the Prime Minister says, ahead of the expected announcement to build a new fleet of Navy ships worth $39 billion.
    The Prime Minister's Cabinet is in Adelaide for a three-day visit where local polling has suggested the Federal Liberal Party is out of favour as the state suffers with the highest unemployment rate in the country.

Mr Abbott told 891 ABC Adelaide this morning that a frigate build would be brought forward to start in 2020, and result in 2,500 SA surface shipbuilding jobs.
    Contracts to build offshore patrol craft or "corvettes" would be brought forward to 2018.
    He said a competitive evaluation process for both projects would begin in October, on the proviso that any bidders pledge to conduct the "major build in South Australia".

The Future Frigates were flagged in the 2009 defence white paper (DWP) as a replacement to the ANZAC Class frigates.
    The Government said in the DWP it would acquire eight frigates to gradually replace the ANZAC Class ships, which themselves would continue to be maintained and upgraded until their replacement.
    An announcement to build the frigates would come after months of intense debate about defence shipbuilding contracts, including a $50 billion fleet of 12 new submarines the Government promised to build in SA prior to the election but subsequently threatened to send offshore once in power.

The Government has also put local control of the Air Warfare Destroyer (AWD) project out to tender after being unimpressed with cost blowouts and the length of time it took for ASC in Adelaide to float the first of three ships it has on order.
    It is now believed the Government's announcement on an earlier surface ship build is being made to deflect ongoing criticism about the far more lucrative submarine project.
    The Government's backtracking on its pre-election promise to build the submarines in Adelaide has contributed to a decline in the polls for its SA federal members, including Education Minister Christopher Pyne.
    The contract has been put out to international tender in what the Government calls a "competitive evaluation process", with Japan, Germany and France bidding for the contract.

"The frigates are coming as a first prize," Mr Abbott said.
    "One way or another, the subs will be coming as a further prize. Whatever the the competitive evaluation process turns up, there will certainly be more submarine jobs in SA."
    Mr Abbott said SA would not be able to avoid the so called "valley of death", when shipbuilding contracts finish up because of a gap in projects.
    He said jobs would drop from about 2,000 to 1,000 but would then build up to about 2,500 from 2020 onwards.
    "It's a terrific announcement for Adelaide, up to 2,5000 shipbuilding jobs, safe for Adelaide, for all time," Mr Abbott said.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-0...for-sa/6668956
    Grateful Dead

Phew, that was lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I'm wondering if the trigger for her resigning was a threat to cross the floor on a no confidence motion by some coalition members.
    A many as 10 according to sources.
    That would have put Tony on notice as well I reckon. Bill must be breathing a sigh of relief that his best asset is still in place.

An Abbot has more value than a Bishop, but it's a pity to lose a Bishop.
    Grateful Dead

This particular Bishop thought she was the Queen. And with his 'captains picks' does the Abbott aspire to be King (or at least de facto President).

King ? Oh, he'd love to be King !
    Grateful Dead

Yes. What did he say? "He'd sell his arse to be Prime Minister", as I recall. What he needs to do is make another Captain's Pick before we sack him, and turn himself into a knight.

Personally, I'd like to see the Speakership go to Phillip Ruddock -- (a) he's absolutely upright and honest, (b) he'd be unbiased in the position, and (c) he bloody-well deserves something from this government.

Sean -- , on both counts.

Mike

Yep, Ruddock would do.
    Grateful Dead

Safe hands. I understand that the cabinet will have the say this time round. Captains picks have not worked out well so far.

The captain hasn't worked out too well!
    Grateful Dead

Thanks to labor he got to be PM. I reckon he thinks he did OK. Not as easy as he might have thought though.

We don't know who we want as PM anymore - and this isn't good http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-0...nymore/6670670

OPINIONBy Peter Lewis
    Updated about 3 hours ago
    PHOTO: For a long time now, both Tony Abbott and Bill Shorten have been labouring with disapproval rates much higher than their approval ratings. (News Online Brisbane)

If polling questions on preferred leaders are anything to go by, then "Don't Know" and "Someone Else" are an unbeatable duo in Parliament. And this creates all sorts of problems, writes Peter Lewis.
    It's official. "Don't Know" is emerging as our preferred national leader, outstripping all candidates on the Labor side and just shadowing Malcolm Turnbull with the Coalition.
    And if the Don't Knows were to team up with "Someone Else" they would be an unbeatable duo on both sides of the house.
    The low regard our current leaders experience is hardly breaking news. Since Kevin Rudd's popularity went south in early 2010 no leader has managed to secure majority approval from the voting public.
    We already know that both Tony Abbott and Bill Shorten are labouring with disapproval rates much higher than their approval ratings.
    But this week's Essential Report shows that both the Prime Minister and Opposition Leader are struggling to secure any sort of approval, let alone love, as leaders of their own parties.
    For Abbott, Turnbull looms large, albeit more so among Labor and Green voters, while Julie Bishop matches his popularity and trumps it among female voters.
    Which of the following do you think would make the best leader of the Liberal Party?
    Total Male Female Vote Labor Vote Lib/Nat Vote Greens Vote other
    Tony Abbott 18% 21% 15% 4% 41% 3% 9%
    Malcolm Turnbull 24% 30% 18% 32% 21% 34% 20%
    Joe Hockey 3% 3% 2% 2% 4% 2% 2%
    Julie Bishop 17% 11% 22% 17% 17% 21% 20%
    Christopher Pyne 1% 2% 1% 1% 2% 2% 1%
    Scott Morrison 3% 5% 1% 2% 6% - 3%
    Someone else 13% 13% 13% 17% 3% 20% 28%
    Don't know 22% 16% 27% 24% 6% 18% 17%
    If possible, the situation is worse for the Labor Leader - and indeed for any of his colleagues harbouring leadership aspirations for that matter. Again the Don't Know/Someone Else combo smashes all comers. After 18 months in Opposition no Labor figure is capturing the public's imagination as a future leader.
    Q. Which of the following do you think would make the best leader of the Labor Party?
    Total Men Women Vote Labor Vote Lib/Nat Vote Greens Vote Other
    Bill Shorten 16% 20% 13% 34% 10% 4% 6%
    Anthony Albanese 12% 13% 11% 13% 11% 18% 16%
    Tanya Plibersek 13% 12% 14% 15% 10% 29% 7%
    Chris Bowen 5% 7% 3% 3% 7% 7% 5%%
    Someone else 18% 20% 17% 10% 26% 15% 35%
    Don't know 36% 29% 42% 25% 35% 27% 31%
    Some perspective here. Both leaders are substantially preferred by their party's own voters, but even on their own sides of the house no one is stamping their authority with majority support.
    This is despite both leaders championing issues where the public is actually supportive. For Abbott that means owning asylum seekers and global security, while Shorten's renewable target has been embraced. But support for specific policies is not translating into support for the current leaders.
    Does popularity matter? Public love did not deliver government to Abbott; rather, the desire to evict a dysfunctional Labor government did the job. Indeed, supporters would say that Abbott burned his personal support to prosecute a highly effective negative election campaign that secured victory.
    Conversely, Labor supporters can point to a scoreboard that has had the Opposition consistently ahead of the Coalition - this week the margin is 53-47 - for more than a year. This, they would argue, despite a well-organised, publicly-funded judicial process that has succeeded in raising questions about his personal character.
    Grateful Dead

It is true that politics grinds on despite unpopular leaders. Elections come and go. Someone has to win. Victory is its own justification. But without leaders who have the public respect, if not their love, government is that much harder.
    Our greatest leaders like Curtin, Menzies, Whitlam, Hawke and Howard, have inspired us and given us the confidence to take great strides as a nation. Without great leaders, we can go through the motions, but our horizons will be closer, the mandate of trust far more limited.
    So it seems to me the current crop of leaders and wannabees may have a mutual interest in lifting each other up, rather than dragging their opponents down, ending the spiral of personal attack that creates a sort of mutually assured destruction that damages not just your opponent but your own team.
    Because the problem is that the deeper into the muck the contest goes, the worse the leaders look.
    Australian politics needs a circuit breaker. The choice of a less partisan, more collegiate speaker with a brief to restore a constructive Parliament may be in everyone's interest.
    Grateful Dead

It may be that "The choice of a less partisan, more collegiate speaker with a brief to restore a constructive Parliament may be in everyone's interest." is not yet in parliament. And if such a person is thinking of joining the circus surely the viewing of question time and a scanning of the last two months headlines should disabuse him or her.

BTW, I have been petitioning to the Electoral Commission for the addition of a "None of the above" box to ballot papers for years.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 08-04-2015 at 08:03 AM.

She isn't in parliament yet, very likely . We are in trouble but Turnbull would do well as a healer.
    Grateful Dead

So Abbott wants indigenous Australians recognised in the constitution but he doesn't want the indigenous community to have anything to do with how it's worded or for that matter to even talk about amongst themselves. A tad arrogant of him me thinks.
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP