Page 151 of 778 FirstFirst ... 51101141150151152161201251651 ... LastLast
Results 5,251 to 5,285 of 27200

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    I am! His rotting political corpse stinks!

What happened to SBS up here? All SBS TV and radio gone, even after trying a re-tune! No reception of anything from SBS for two days now.

I also note some dingbat in the ABC has gone and taken Jazztrack from its very long running (and original) slot of 5pm on Saturdays and Sundays on ABC Classic FM. I've started writing lots of annoying email letters to ABC about it, including one to Mark Scott. You should too Jeff! I think I can remember Jazztrack being on ABC FM (as it was simply called back then) in the late 1970s.
    Jazztrack will be on on Saturday and Sunday nights at 11 pm and likely available on pod download.

I'm getting SBS OK Dunc, I have no idea what's happened for you but it's still there.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Apparently some equipment was knocked out of whack by the electrical storm on Sunday killing SBS transmission to certain areas around here. Alberto in Sydney fixed it!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

And I don't want to listen to Jazztrack at silly times and don't want to be limited to having to listen to it via the TV. It has been on ABC FM for yonks and should remain there!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Put it on your Iphone Dunc .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    WARNING -- RELIGIOUS TROLL!

(I understand Steve Jobs now has to buy a new pitchfork every year. )

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I want to listen to it ON the radio IN the shed. I do NOT want to use up my expensively pathetic wireless allowance which is mostly crap at receiving much of a signal anyway.

Billions of blistering blue barnacles!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Here you go:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/601/0...ck-jazz-track/

ABC-FM began in 1976 and one of the first programs to air was a jazz session presented by Jim McLeod and jazz has continued ever since. Jazz Track, presented on Saturday and Sunday from 5 - 7pm, has been a great forum to expose Australian jazz talent.
    We have learned that jazz music will no longer be presented and we urge you to sign this petition to reinstate this important and very enjoyable program.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

I want to listen to it ON the radio IN the shed. I do NOT want to use up my expensively pathetic wireless allowance which is mostly crap at receiving much of a signal anyway.

Billions of blistering blue barnacles!
    I felt the same way when they stopped broadcasting The Goon Show.
    The social contract that bestows authority — both moral and legal — on our political leaders is struck on the trust that they know what they are doing and will always act in our best interests:

He may have stopped the boats and axed the tax but this represented simply getting rid of Labor's self-created problems. There's nothing "new". The forward agenda appears to be all about returning us to the past. Monday's honours list included one cringeworthy addition to the bunyip aristocracy of knights and dames, nevertheless it appears all our former PM's including most crucially John Howard have decided to refuse Abbott's re-minted title.

The problem with the titles originates from the same place as the lack of women in cabinet and on the honours list and the slashing of funding for research. There's no view of the future and the very idea of change is regarded as a threat. The difficulty is that the processes of the past won't represent the solutions to the future. Voters instinctively understand this. They want a vision. The difficulty for politicians is that the old answers no longer resonate...............

Nic Stuart : Thinking , thinking :

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...84607526,d.dGY

I note that Murdoch, amongst others, is calling for Credlin to go.
    "Today News Corp boss Murdoch publicly called for Tony Abbott’s chief of staff, Peta Credlin, to resign. The ridicule heaped on Abbott over the knighthood for Prince Philip this week was the last straw, with Murdoch saying she should do her “patriotic duty” and quit."
    http://www.businessinsider.com.au/ru...adviser-2015-1

Searching for a scapegoat as usual, in this case a higher profile one than usual, but a functionary nonetheless, not a politician, and certainly not THE politician that made the decision. Bolt on the other hand thinks Tony will have to go.
    If Credlin was considering moving on Murdoch's public intervention makes that very difficult. Abbott is standing by her, and she will probably survive as long as Abbott does.
    "http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...-1227200105592"

Incidentally, allegedly the Murdoch call-out on Credlin appeared soon after he met Foreign Minister Julie Bishop when she was in the United States will not escape the PMO.

I can't find much recent re Murdoch's opinion of Labour and Shorten since a virtual blackmail attempt last August, but I'm sure he has one. But of course with Rupert it's all about influence and money. He's not an Australian any more and I doubt a knighthood would interest a kingmaker.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 01-28-2015 at 03:35 PM.

It's fascinating to see Bolt frothing at the mouth over the incompetence of his own team rather than rorts by unemployed youth or the injustice of 18C.
    Grateful Dead

The opinion from the Royal Hotel in Grong Grong:

"He was in enough trouble as it was and he's gone and kicked himself in the nuts."

Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

I think the sleeper here might be Murdoch's now very public influence over Abbott, and the party, extending to virtual commands. Not that he wouldn't do the same to Labour of course, and not that Labour wouldn't roll over as well at the prospect of his media's support of course.
    But he may have overstepped this time, imagine what influence he has over his editors, instanced by the coordinated change of opinion' of all Murdoch papers, and that RW warrior Bolt as well. The myth of independence in the Murdoch stable is well and truly outed.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 01-29-2015 at 03:23 PM.

Bookies say Tony Abbott more likely than not to face leadership challenge

DateJanuary 29, 2015 - 1:03PMDan Harrison and Latika Bourke

Andrew Bolt attacks PMs knighthood decision

Media commentator Andrew Bolt has labelled Tony Abbott's decision to knight Prince Philip as "pathetically stupid".

Punters believe it is more likely than not Prime Minister Tony Abbott will face a leadership ballot before the next election.
    Foreign Minister Julie Bishop is the punter's favourite to replace Mr Abbott as Liberal leader
    Online bookmaker sportsbet.com.au says Mr Abbott is now odds on to face a challenge this term, with odds that his leadership will be tested shortening from $4 on December 2 to $1.65 on January 29. The odds of no challenge to Mr Abbott's leadership before the election have drifted from $1.20 in December to $2.15.
    Punters believe Foreign Minister Julie Bishop and Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull would be the most likely replacement should Prime Minister Tony Abbott lose the top job. Photo: Andrew Meares
    Sportsbet.com.au spokesman Will Byrne said Mr Abbott's decision to award a knighthood to Prince Philip on Australia Day appeared to be a "tipping point" for punters.
    "Since then, we've definitely seen more money placed on say, Julie Bishop to be the next leader after Abbott," Mr Byrne said.
    "In medieval times knights where appointed with a tap on the shoulders with a blade but that Prince Philip decision by Abbott could ironically see him fall on his own sword."
    Mr Byrne said 98 per cent of the money being wagered on whether Mr Abbott would face a challenge was being bet on his leadership being tested.
    Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop is the punters' favourite to replace Mr Abbott as Liberal leader, with the odds of her succeeding him shortening from $2.20 in December to the current $2.10. The next most likely replacement for Mr Abbott is Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull, whose odds have firmed from $3.50 to $3.
    The odds of the Coalition winning the next election have drifted from $1.17 in September 2013 to $1.70, while Labor's odds have shortened from $4.50 to $2.05 over the same period.
    "That's incredibly close," Mr Byrne said.
    A Seven News ReachTEL poll taken on Tuesday night found more than 70 per cent of respondents opposed Mr Abbott's decision to award Prince Philip the nation's highest honour by making him a Knight of the Order of Australia.
    The poll found only one in five respondents think Mr Abbott is doing a good job as Prime Minister while six out of 10 rated his performance as poor.
    Mr Turnbull was the most popular choice to lead the Coalition, with more than 44.6 per cent of respondents backing him compared with 30.5 per cent for Ms Bishop. Just 18.1 per cent of respondents nominated Mr Abbott as the best person to lead the Coalition.
    Conservative commentator Andrew Bolt on Thursday branded Mr Abbott's decision to honour Prince Philip "pathetically stupid" and potentially fatal for his leadership.
    Speaking on Sydney radio station 2GB on Wednesday night, Bolt said the decision to honour Prince Philip on Australia Day was "friendless" and one that made Mr Abbott's own allies look stupid if they tried to defend it.
    "This is just such a pathetically stupid ... gosh, I didn't mean to be that strong because I actually like Tony Abbott very much. But this is just such a very, very, very stupid decision, so damaging that it could be fatal," Bolt said.
    Bolt's blistering intervention follows a plea by media baron Rupert Murdoch for Mr Abbott to sack his top aide Peta Credlin, who has been criticised internally for being too controlling.
    Finance Minister Mathias Cormann on Thursday dismissed suggestions Mr Abbott's leadership was under threat, while Health Minister Sussan Ley said Ms Credlin was a "terrific asset".

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...29-130wzt.html

Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I think the sleeper here might be Murdoch's now very public influence over Abbott, and the party, extending to virtual commands. Not that he wouldn't do the same to Labour of course, and not that Labour wouldn't roll over as well at the prospect of his media's support of course.
    But he may have overstepped this time, imagine what influence he has over his editors, instanced by the coordinated change of opinion' of all Murdoch papers, and that RW warrior Bolt as well. The myth of independence in the Murdoch stable is well and truly outed.
    There hasn't been much doubt since that meeting with the IPA.
    Grateful Dead

Queensland (why is it always Queensland?)
    Seems Newman can loose his seat and still remain Premier while they toss out a sitting member in a safe seat to have a by election. Curiouser and curiouser, and hardly democratic I would think.
    Saw an interview By Fitzgerald, the anti corruption enquiry commissioner that nailed Lewis and Joh. He reckons the pollies are at it again.
    Opinion down here cannot believe Labor can win because of the 'vote one' provision, but it might be a close run thing.

"Finance Minister Mathias Cormann on Thursday dismissed suggestions Mr Abbott's leadership was under threat, while Health Minister Sussan Ley said Ms Credlin was a "terrific asset"."
    I am minded of overt expressions of support for football coaches by their club boards, just before they are sacked.

Queensland.....
    The vote 1 above the line provision could hurt Labor a lot as they really need the flow of Green preferences and although there are differences between Nat and Labor in social areas , when it comes to green issues they are pretty similar. The social issues might be enough to keep the preferences flowing though. Fighting with the judiciary hasn't been a good look !
    Grateful Dead

The opinion from the Royal Hotel in Grong Grong:

"He was in enough trouble as it was and he's gone and kicked himself in the nuts."

Was it The Royal Hotel before the 26th, or did Tony knight that too?

A cartoon, because sometimes these explain reality better than editorials can.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...tt?CMP=soc_567
    We don't know how lucky we are....

Quote Originally Posted by seanz View Post
    Was it The Royal Hotel before the 26th, or did Tony knight that too?

A cartoon, because sometimes these explain reality better than editorials can.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...tt?CMP=soc_567

Priceless ! Thanks seans !

pisser!
    Xanthorrea

Perfection! Tony has exceeded all expectations !
    Grateful Dead

Here's a bit of good news the looks as if the NSW Libs have been reading the Greens songbook . Good on them !

NSW Government set to introduce a drinks container deposit scheme

Updated 4 Jan 2015, 2:25pmSun 4 Jan 2015, 2:25pm
    Photo: Community recycling centres will be set up in NSW under a new cash for containers scheme. (ABC: Rebecca Brewin)
    Map: NSW

A drinks container deposit scheme is to be introduced in NSW within the next few weeks as part of a plan to clean up the state's beaches and parks.
    The details of the cash for containers scheme are still being finalised but it is likely to feature a rebate of 10 cents per item.
    The NSW Government has been negotiating with the drinks industry to introduce the system and Environment Minister Rob Stokes said similar initiatives had proved highly successful in reducing waste in public spaces around the world.
    "The beverage industry obviously has a responsibility in terms of the extent of producer liability for their products," Mr Stokes said.
    "But we recognise that Government has a strong leadership role to play," he said.
    "What we are interested in doing is working together effectively to produce solutions to a shared problem, which is litter and waste in our environment."
    Government 'not concerned' about potential for industry backlash

It is believed that reverse vending machines will be placed in public areas along with community recycling centres and that schools and charities would be the main beneficiaries of the new scheme.
    The main aim of the cash for containers scheme is to reduce glass and plastic bottles and cans which are typically consumed away from home and left to pollute beaches, parks, waterways and public areas.
    Photo: The State Government cash for containers plan aims to reduce the amount of pollution in public areas throughout NSW. (Getty Images: Brendon Thorne)

Mr Stokes said the Government was not concerned about a possible backlash from the drinks industry over the scheme, in the lead up to the state elections in March.
    In 2013, drinks giants Coca-Cola, Schweppes and Lion Nathan took Federal Court action against the Northern Territory Government after it introduced a 10 cent container deposit.
    The NT Government said the scheme resulted in an extra 35 million containers being returned in the first 12 months.
    "The concern of [this] Government is to create good public policy that helps the people of NSW," Mr Stokes said.
    "We're not terribly concerned about scare campaigns or those sorts of things.
    "We'll do what we believe is right in the public interest."
    The federal Greens and recycling campaigners have welcomed news of the cash for containers scheme.
    "You put a small charge on your containers and then they're returned and you clean up litter," Australian Greens leader Christine Milne said.
    "It's the best case of rethink and recycle.
    "Why wouldn't you go with it and I congratulate the Liberals in NSW for making this move."
    The national convener of the Boomerang Alliance, Jeff Angel, said similar programs had proved to be the most effective way to reduce litter.
    "With a 10 cent deposit you get well over 80 per cent of the drink bottles and cans returned for recycling," Mr Angel said.
    "And that's certainly the case in South Australia where we already have a 10 cent deposit that's refundable."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-0...scheme/5999102
    Grateful Dead

Tones must have read the cartoon above...

"One of the reasons why so many members of the team are able to perform so well is because they have got a very good captain," [Tones] told reporters.
    "It takes a good captain to help all the players of a team to excel," he said.
    He really will put cartoonists out of work!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

I'm not usually a watcher of sporting contests, but tonight I'll have to choose between the Soccer and the Queensland election……….

A couple of very close run matches !
    Grateful Dead

PILLOW TALK (apparently from a letter to the Guardian):

"Oh I say Queenie, isn't it jolly dashed decent of that colonial chappie to give me a knighthood?"

"Oh yes rather Philly. Isn't he the chap the Orstralians say is a badger smuggler? It makes one think why on earth would one want to smuggle a badger."

"Oh yes Queenie -- it does sound a frightful bore. The dashed thing is that we will have to give him a title in return."

"I know Philly -- we can make him a knight of the order of the Royal Brown Nose."

"A jolly capital idea Queenie -- we can dub him 'Sir Pository'."

"Oh that is super Philly -- I am slightly amused."

- - - - -

For how much longer does the once-proud Liberal party have to suffer this fool Abbott as its leader? And for how much longer do the rest of us have to suffer him as PM?

Mike
    Visit us to see how we help people complete classic boats authentically.

Got an email from Bill Shorten today, seems I've ended up on a mailing list.
    This was my reply.
    I would like to see another tick box added to ballot papers...None Of The Above. We might just get to see what Australians really think about both major parties.As for Abbott, he's just one more sick joke being played on the Australian people.
    Give us someone who genuinely wants to do the right thing by all Australians and just the Gina's and Rupert's.
    The social contract that bestows authority — both moral and legal — on our political leaders is struck on the trust that they know what they are doing and will always act in our best interests:

I would like to see another tick box added to ballot papers...None Of The Above. We might just get to see what Australians really think about both major parties.As for Abbott, he's just one more sick joke being played on the Australian people.
    Give us someone who genuinely wants to do the right thing by all Australians and not just the Gina's and Rupert's.
    Nicely put WX.

I do like this one.
    Tony Abbott had just been elected and took some time to look over the Lodge. As he arrived he ran into Kevin who was preparing to leave. The pair exchanged pleasantries and Kevin told him that he would leave three numbered envelopes in the desk drawer as his predecessor had done for him. "Open these if you run up against a problem you don't think you can solve," he said.

Well, things went along pretty smoothly but six months later, events took a downturn and Tony was really catching a lot of heat. About at his wit's end, he remembered the envelopes. He went to his drawer and took out the first envelope. The message read, "Blame the media."

So Tony called a press conference and tactfully laid the blame at the feet of the media. Satisfied with his comments, the press - responded positively and the government started to get things back on track and the problem was soon behind him.

About a year later, the government was again experiencing grave issues. Having learned from his previous experience, Tony quickly opened the second envelope. The message read, "Blame the opposition." This he did and the government quickly rebounded.

Eventually the government once again fell on difficult times. Tony went to his office, closed the door and opened the third envelope.

The message said, "Prepare three envelopes."

Succinct !
    Grateful Dead

There seems to be someone missing around here lately, apparently defending Abbot is even beyond his ability to spin .

That and the Bolt attacks add up to a lost cause.
    Grateful Dead

Insulting as usual, but missed obviously by some………… But yes you were a Turnbull supporter as would be half of the ALP voters if he could get, or want, a gig.
    Shorten is so much dead wood as far as I can see, and the ALP has gone very quiet on any 'reform' of party administration and factional deals. Of course there is no pressure on them to do anything, not even campaign it seems.

Just for interest, what do you think about Tony's performance, and that is indeed the word, and will he get the push? I don't think so because of his own condemnation of the ALP for the same thing.

Was Ian being insulting ? My, that would be new ! He's always such moderate unassuming bloke .

Anyway he's back and can now begin to tell us why everything is alright again and why he's always felt that way .
    Grateful Dead

Here's an interesting table , Liberals love Abbot but they will lose the middle, they would gain the middle with Turnbull but the IPA would disapprove strongly ! An interesting problem, lose with Abbott or possibly win with Turnbull.

I think they'll choose to lose.

http://www.crikey.com.au/2014/06/03/...fan-favourite/ The table is dated June 2014 ....I don't think his results have improved .

Morrison and Pyne must be chuffed at their popularity!
    Grateful Dead

I have a hope we might actually get some proper analysis for a change from Ian, he certainly has the capacity as we have sen in the past. I think the LibNats are actually half right about Aus's problems, but blind ideology has gotten in their way in large because of Tony, and because of him they are also in a bind. Australian PM's are extraordinarily powerful, but the party room may take command of this one if things do not improve.
    If they do change, the next incumbent will have a heck of a job to do, and at least half a new cabinet to find.

8.20 pm est, Queensland is more interesting than the football.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 01-31-2015 at 04:27 AM.