Page 151 of 765 FirstFirst ... 51101141150151152161201251651 ... LastLast
Results 5,251 to 5,285 of 26754

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

Here's a bit of good (possible ) news from the NSW Libs .

NSW cabinet to consider container deposit scheme

DateDecember 15, 2014
    • Read later

Nicole Hasham

Cabinet is expected to give serious thought to implementing a container deposit scheme. Nicole Hasham reports.

NSW consumers would receive a 10-cent refund for recycling bottles and cans under a contentious proposal to go before cabinet on Monday. Photo: Domino Postiglione

NSW consumers would receive a 10-cent refund for recycling bottles and cans under a contentious proposal to go before cabinet on Monday.
    The Baird government is expected to consider a container deposit scheme that proponents say would encourage recycling, reduce waste management costs and divert many of the one billion plastic bottles that go to landfill in Australia each year.

The beverage industry has lobbied fiercely against such a scheme, which would initially add 10 cents to the cost of a beverage. Consumers could later recoup the money.
    Fairfax Media understands that Environment Minister Rob Stokes will take two proposals to cabinet.
    The first, a container deposit scheme, would allow consumers to recycle containers at "reverse vending machines" in public places such as shopping centres, and at community recycling depots.

The second, a national scheme to be funded by the beverage industry, would involve increased recycling infrastructure such as bins and anti-littering education campaigns.
    It is understood thatthe industry scheme would not achieve the government's litter reduction targets, and many MPs consider a deposit scheme the most effective way to cut litter rates.
    The cash-back scheme is believed to have broad support among Liberal backbenchers and the Nationals, however the cabinet decision is expected to be close.

Government sources say Federal Environment Minister Greg Hunt is pushing NSW to reject the deposit scheme because he wants to secure the industry's national recycling investment.
    A container deposit scheme would take about two years to implement. The government will take cabinet's decision to the election next March.

Should it support container deposit laws, the government is likely to face strident opposition from the powerful beverage industry.
    In October this year, NSW Liberal MP Catherine Cusack told Parliament that prior to the 2011 election, the industry threatened to fund a massive campaign against the Liberal and National parties if it supported container deposit legislation.
    One in three pieces of litter are bottles and cans – every year, 30,000 are left on Bondi Beach. Supporters say deposit schemes can lift recycling rates to 80 per cent.

Clean Up Australia data has shown that in South Australia, which has had a deposit scheme for 37 years, bottles and cans are a significantly smaller proportion of litter than in NSW. A scheme also exists in the Northern Territory.
    The City of Sydney this year trialled two reverse vending machines at Circular Quay and Haymarket. They collected more than 40,000 bottles in five months and received positive reviews on social media.
    Carlton and United Breweries claims a deposit scheme would add more than $3 to the cost of a case of beer.
    Australian Beverages Council chair Geoff Parker said the industry's proposal would both reduce packaging litter and increase packaging recycling by 20 per cent.

He said the deposit scheme would be expensive and risked jobs in the brewing and beverage industries.
    Total Environment Centre executive director Jeff Angel rejected those claims as "scare tactics". He said the scheme had public support and was "the only system that will sustainably lift recycling and litter reduction".

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

About bloody time !

Clean Up Australia data has shown that in South Australia, which has had a deposit scheme for 37 years, bottles and cans are a significantly smaller proportion of litter than in NSW.

We have had this so long now Peter , we don`t even think about it.

Same ( althought for not as long ) with plastic shopping bags.....everyone here brings their own re- usable bags ( green bags ) to shops and supermarkets.

If you forget to bring your own , you have to buy the plastic bags to bring home the shopping .

Visitors often comment on the absence of road side litter in SA.

I thought the luxury car tax was being dropped? Seeing we don't produce cars, or soon won't……………….*
    But then if it's a 'toy' then I suppose a car tax doesn't apply, and I suppose the tax as such goes into general revenue?

*I wonder if government will actually wean itself off this particular revenue stream…...

Constitutionally every thing goes into general revenue but is Ian asking about car prices ? He may as well ask about soft ware down load costs , Autocad costs exactly double the US price in Australia. No staff, no tax, no handling , no nothing. A digital download from the USA at x2 USA prices .
    Grateful Dead

Oh I think that's called 'private enterprise' Peter, charge what the market will bear. And that's likely what's happening with Ian's 'toy'.

I wonder why and how Australians can "bear'' more than Americans ?
    Grateful Dead

That's private enterprise, even if it's the government's private tax enterprise.

Meanwhile Toned Abs is in Iraq espousing how much they have suffered. No doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    Meanwhile Toned Abs is in Iraq espousing how much they have suffered. No doubt.
    Really, I wonder why ? Suffered I mean.

Tony developing empathy.
    Grateful Dead

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-0...e-plan/6000646
    Someone should show them the graphs that show it's not happening.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-0...e-plan/6000646
    Someone should show them the graphs that show it's not happening.
    Oh I don't think the problem is they really think it's not happening, rather that they won't be up for election in 100 years time. "Not our problem". Of course it could be that they reckon that their franchises god is going to fix it all up by then…………… They are about you know.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Here's a thought on economic efficiency and competitiveness.

I've been looking at the costs of buying a particular toy.

Two scenarios.... buy it here, or buy it overseas.

Exact same item, sold in two different countries, Australia being the "wealthier".

There, I need to earn $175,000 gross income to buy it....

Here... I need to earn $650,000 gross income to buy it.... or almost four times as much.

Why?

Higher income taxes here. Higher "luxury goods" taxes here.

Why?
    So we can spend that extra tax (like the cast of "Housos") on flat screen TVs and drugs while you have to work your arse off to pay for our extravagant lifestyle. You'll have to work so hard it will keep you off the internet and surely that's a good cause?
    For those who've come across the seas
    We've boundless plains to share;

I refer you to the reply given in the matter of Arkell v. Pressdram.

"half a million bucks worth of extra taxes…."
    So? They're some of Aussie Joe's 'lifters' eh?

What are you doing up at this hour Steve? Baying at the moon like me? It's far to beautiful a night to be inside and in bed.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    "half a million bucks worth of extra taxes…."
    So? They're some of Aussie Joe's 'lifters' eh?

What are you doing up at this hour Steve? Baying at the moon like me? It's far to beautiful a night to be inside and in bed.
    Getting some morphine! Wheee!
    It's being provided by the heavily unionized work force here in the hospice. We don't get flat screen TVs though.

Back to bed now....going fishing in Rose Bay later this morning.
    For those who've come across the seas
    We've boundless plains to share;

I refer you to the reply given in the matter of Arkell v. Pressdram.

I hate morphine , it feels like grey porridge I my veins .... Pethidine however is like pink clouds of happiness!

Ian would like the ME, the poor are in rags, the rich are in Ferraris .... the way things should be for a proper Liberal.
    Grateful Dead

I see Adelaide is making it's mark……….
    "Adelaide has been declared the hottest city in the world on Thursday by the United Nations' World Meteorological Organisation."
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...rk-set-in-1939

and it's going to get hotter .

The EFS services seem to be differing with our scientifically illiterate government on Global Warming ..... again.
    Grateful Dead

Meantime a 2 hour sound and light show here. Lots of thunder, fork and sheet lightning. and 24mm of rain which is most welcome. Even the creek was running.

Here we have overcast and light rain ...... and I survived taking 3 kids to Dreamworld !
    Grateful Dead

Mr Morrison’s attack came as current and former immigration ministers from both sides of politics stood by the actions that have kept Indonesian killer John Basikbasik in detention rather than releasing him into the community.
    Sorry to hear that your brother was one of this dirt bag`s victims.

Triggs is clearly wrong here.

(Triggs ):
    There is no information before me to indicate that the commonwealth considered whether any risk which Mr Basikbasik posed to the community could be mitigated by a management plan to assist with his rehabilitation or by a requirement to reside at a specified location, with curfews, travel restrictions or regular reporting,” Dr Triggs wrote.

Really ? The commonwealth did not " consider ? " the fact that :

Basikbasik has committed many violent crimes since arriving from Papua New Guinea in a canoe in 1985 and has a history of breaching bail conditions. His other lesser offences include assault, grievous bodily harm, obstructing police and drug possession. Basikbasik has been deemed a genuine refugee and therefore cannot be deported back to Indonesia.

And ....

The Papuan refugee’s offences included the 2000 manslaughter of his de facto wife, whom he beat to death with a child’s bicycle, and numerous assaults during his seven-year jail term from 2001.

Nothing more to say I guess.
    Last edited by boat fan; 01-07-2015 at 09:08 PM.

I agree that Trigs is 'wrong', but maybe she and some legals are taking a purely legal position on the facts which would give an entirely different meaning to the word 'wrong'. I'd be asking those advocating her position if they'd be prepared to be the man's close supervision team and if they'd be prepared to be guarantors for his future behaviour.

Well the powers are there to make him 'disappear' now, and Morrison knows more about them than most. But as I said,
    "but maybe she and some legals are taking a purely legal position on the facts", going there means permanent and secret detention, or some extra judicial action of a more permanent nature.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I agree that Trigs is 'wrong', but maybe she and some legals are taking a purely legal position on the facts which would give an entirely different meaning to the word 'wrong'. I'd be asking those advocating her position if they'd be prepared to be the man's close supervision team and if they'd be prepared to be guarantors for his future behaviour.
    Of course they are. Call it unethical then.

We have many nonsensical laws .

Her response was what we are used to in this country - weak and lacking common sense.

It was only her "recommendation " after all.

Even if to suggest to " compensate " such a career criminal $ 350,000 is ridiculous.

She won`t resign because she has no reason to , lack of common sense and poor judgement has never appeared to be sufficient reason in the past , we would have no one in govt.

Last edited by boat fan; 01-08-2015 at 12:53 AM.

Well the powers are there to make him 'disappear' now, and Morrison knows more about them than most.
    Good point skuthorpe .

Couple of articles to be read re the finance industry and proposed changes to their regulation.
    "First it was the Commonwealth Bank financial advice scandal, then Macquarie Group followed. ANZ blotted its copybook with Timbercorp and now Suncorp's financial services advisory group has come up short and is on effective parole by the corporate regulator."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/comme...#ixzz3OE1S1mPA

And then there's Suncorp…….
    "
    The corporate watchdog has slapped new licence conditions on Suncorp's life insurance advisory firm Guardian Advice, after it recruited advisers from failed firms. In a revelation that has sparked calls for further reform of commission structures, the Australian Securities and Investments Commission said on Wednesday it had imposed the new conditions on Guardian after an investigation uncovered "deficiencies" in the advice it was giving to clients.
    These included appointing advisers who had worked for companies that had their licences cancelled and failing to identify breaches by its staff."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/banki...#ixzz3OE2FLdkN

Something of real importance .

6 January 2015, 2.14pm AEDT

2014 was Australia’sthird-hottest year on record, says Bureau of Meteorology
    http://theconversation.com/2014-was-...eorology-35904

2014. AAP Image/David Mariuz2014 has been confirmed as Australia’s third-hottest year, capping off a record-breaking decade, according to the Bureau of Meteorology’s annual climate statement, released today.
    Seven of Australia’s ten hottest years have occurred in the past 13 years. During that period, only 2011 was cooler than the 1961-1990 average. Experts said this long-term trend and temperature extremes are a clear signal that climate change is happening in Australia now.

“If we want to look at the impact of climate change, what we’re really seeing is the climate of Australia has continued to warm,” said Karl Braganza, manager of Climate Modelling at the Bureau of Meteorology.
    In the ten years to 2014, temperatures have been running 0.55C above the long-term average. The previous ten-year record was held by 2004-2013 at 0.5C above average.

The two-year period of 2012-2013 also smashed the previous 24-month record by 0.32C.
    2014 on its own was the third-hottest year since Australia’s official records began in 1910, with temperatures 0.91C above average. This followed Australia’s hottest ever year, with temperatures 1.2C above average.
    2014 also set a new record for the hottest spring, breaking the previous record set the year before.

Sophie Lewis, a climate scientist at the Australian National University, said these extremes were “at least 30 times more likely because of human influences, such as greenhouse gases”.
    Globally, 2014 is likely to have been the hottest on record, driven by record-breaking sea surface temperatures. The UK Met Office also recorded 2014 as the UK’s hottest year.

Sarah Perkins, a climate researcher at the University of New South Wales, said that while 2014 was not Australia’s hottest, the year included significant hot periods, including the “infamous” Australian Open heatwave. The record-breaking spring contributed to another early start to the bushfire season, and recent heatwaves increased the bushfire risk and poor fire-fighting conditions currently in South Australia, she said.

Lower rainfall linked to El Niño conditions was driving warmer temperatures over the last six months, Braganza said. Models suggest El Niño could persist into 2015, potentially making 2015 as warm or warmer than 2014.

Braganza also said there has been a “notable absence” of cold weather.
    “We’ve had heatwaves consistently every six weeks or over the past two or three years, even throughout winter.
    “Since the mid-20th century, the spatial extent of these heat events has been growing. Heatwaves are becoming more frequent, they’re becoming hotter, lasting longer, and covering more of the continent.”

Grateful Dead

The UK is predicting the loss of 700 properties in the next 20 years due to increased coastal erosion.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    OH NO... Let's all run around in circles and have panic attacks. Just imagine that... the coastline changes. Oh no.....
    How old did you say you were Ian?

How old did you say you were Ian?
    That would be Ian copying Tony putting his head in the sand. Ian is a loyal Liberal, thus Tony the Denier must be right.

Perfect logic.
    Grateful Dead

If the Leader expresses brainless and anti science policies it is required that all loyal Libs repress their ability to reason and research and reflect what he says. The Libs are quite Catholic in that sense.
    Grateful Dead

Grateful Dead

and a little update on the dumping at Abbott Point .

Grateful Dead

The NSW CSG industry is claiming gas shortage but Shell is building the biggest ship in the world to refine the gas from the Timor Sea gas field.

The NSW CSG industry is claiming gas shortage but Shell is building the biggest ship in the world to refine the gas from the Timor Sea gas field.
    Very strange , importing is not an option?
    Grateful Dead