Page 101 of 765 FirstFirst ... 5191100101102111151201601 ... LastLast
Results 3,501 to 3,535 of 26774

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

Politics and science just don't mix. Politics and profit do.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by stevebaby View Post
    250,000 jobs? Sure, that's why the unemployment rate is currently higher than at any time during the previous government.
    http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-e...07-101a9n.html
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Oh come on, every schoolboy knows that the unemployment rate is a lagging indicator. Don't you remember us discussing the job loss impacts of Labor's policies? The impacts of losing our international competitiveness?
    You forgot to mention a little thing called population growth....for example it was something like 388,000 for 2013-14 (including 231,000 from O.S), 403,000 for 2009-10, 265,000 for 05/06
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

So, does this person have friends in high places, or is it a case of police and pollies covering their asses and hiding past indifferent attitudes?
    This says it all really,
    "For their inquiry into the murders, the seven committee members have travelled up from Sydney to hear evidence inside Macksville’s council chambers on the afternoon of May 1 this year. They have been given very tight terms of reference — to “report on the family response to the murders in Bowraville” — leaving them technically unable to reinvestigate the murders, review the court decisions or examine the case for the prosecution. At least one member of the committee chafes publicly at this frustration."
    Buying time to bury it all again by saying that an already nobbled enquiry 'found nothing new".
    Yes, it is time, and rooting out all those who by indifference interference and incompetence is as important as convicting the perpetrator. And in this case that includes at least one AG it seems to me.
    But don't hold your breath, this involves both majors and they have a common interest in ignoring it.

Hmm, can we have him designated as a terrorist? If one man sending a few thousand to Syria can be surely another with several deaths to his name, albeit unofficially, can be? Let ASIO, or those who cannot be named take care of him.

As long as no one says ASIO did it, that would be a crime.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    I think I decided to not post something a while back... then again, I might have posted it???? - about a mate camped in an area that's had fewer white visitors than the south pole... who had spotted some painted up guys around his campsite at night, circa 1970 - scared the bejesus out of him. Turned out his proficiency with the local language may have saved his white skin.... but the guys were on their way to conduct a ritual killing of some bloke who'd transgressed. I reckon this bloke might be lucky he hasn't found himself to be a similar target.
    perhaps that's what the local police had been hoping for. I remember when the call to allow communities to impose payback was accepted in the NT, (I think partly as a means to combat deaths in custody) and there were a few cases where the local plod were more than happy to encourage it where it would have been difficult to get a conviction, including with white men living in the communities. It wasn't very long before transgressors were begging to be locked up rather than face traditional laws.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

It would be no fun at all to face 3 spears from 15 m with an enraged father behind the shaft .
    Grateful Dead

The stupid 40 job applications per month is out, now it's 20 . Still an unrealistic number in anything but the city.
    Grateful Dead

Hugh White is not impressed with the west's involvement against ISIS, or it's lack of a workable objective.
    "There are reports that Australia will commit 200 special forces to the fight against Islamic State militants."

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/...-white/5794574

That's alright for Hugh White ! He's not the one trying to get his polling numbers up!

Sane and reasoned argument is not for politicians .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    The stupid 40 job applications per month is out, now it's 20 . Still an unrealistic number in anything but the city.
    At the younger end of the dole queue they also have to work 25 hours per week for the dole. At 4 six hour days it works out to a little over $10 an hour...assuming $240 per week. Given getting to and from the work will cost and there's wear and tear on clothing, will they get travel and clothing allowance?
    I don't think the government has really thought this through.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

They have, it plays to their base. Young people don't vote Liberal.
    Grateful Dead

The coalition's plans to starve anyone under 30 who lose their job is bound to affect the under 30 vote.This will be a one term government.

800 coppers.
    One plastic sword.
    Tell me how this wasn't a political stunt to get their new security legislation through.
    http://www.theage.com.au/nsw/sword-r...07-10r7nj.html
    Last edited by stevebaby; 10-07-2014 at 06:06 AM.
    For those who've come across the seas
    We've boundless plains to share;

I refer you to the reply given in the matter of Arkell v. Pressdram.

At least no garbage men got hurt this time…………...

Meanwhile, the airwaves down here are full of lies and promises from both camps. Projects that will never and are not intended to see the light of day. Election specials, trotted out by both majors on a regular basis. I don't know how they live with themselves. I think they reckon the voter is a fool, and there is certainly evidence to that effect.
    Einsteins much quoted line re repeat behaviour comes to mind.

The Australian has published its regular quarterly Newspoll breakdowns by (mainland) state, gender and age group, from its combined polling over the period of July to September. With this big infusion of state-level data, later this week I will publish the BludgerTrack quarterly breakdown, featuring state-level primary vote numbers and polling trend charts (you can see the previous effort from the end of June here). Also later today should be the regularly weekly Essential Research poll.

In case you missed it, yesterday’s Roy Morgan gave the Coalition its best result since February, its primary vote up 1.5% to 40% with Labor down 2.5% to 35%. On two-party preferred, Labor’s lead was down from 54.5-45.5 to 53-47 on respondent-allocated preferences, and from 53.5-46.5 to 51.5-48.5 on preference flows from the 2013 election. The Greens were steady at 12%, and Palmer United down half a point to 3.5%, their weakest result since January. The poll was conducted over the last two weekends by face-to-face and SMS, from a sample of 3151.

UPDATE (Essential Research): No change whatsoever in Essential Research – Coalition 40%, Labor 39%, Greens 10%, Palmer United 4%, two-party 52-48 to Labor. A suite of questions on major government decisions over the past year turn in predictable responses, with turning back the boats, freezing foreign aid and dumping the carbon tax strongly approved of, and pretty much anything involving the budget disapproved of. The only neutral responses were for military aid to Iraq and dumping the mining tax. Thirty-nine per cent of respondents rated the economy well managed, against 28% for poorly.

Respondents were most concerned about cost of living issues, and least concerned about national debt and the budget deficit. Other questions find an even balance between those who think income tax too high (42%) and about right (40%); more favouring less services and lower taxes (28%) than the opposite (19%), but with 35% preferring the current balance; and 59% thinking it would be good for the economy if corporations paid more tax, versus 17% for bad.

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/pollbludg...-to-september/

Interesting , I'm sure Tony was hoping his war, um police action with jet fighters would result in a surge of flag waving public support.

Maybe Oz isn't as stupid as he thinks it is.
    Grateful Dead

Shh it's not a war, Tone's said so. I wonder if the usual arrangements re military personnel on active service apply?

Yuk! JH just appeared on The Drum. I'm outa here.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 10-07-2014 at 05:50 AM.

Grateful Dead

Um……. do you think that if labor replaces the libs next election they will pull out of the 'police action'? And I do mean 'IF' in big capitals. That's of course if they can be found in time to stand…………………………..

''Labor, the invisible ones'' ? I think they're just enjoying the carnage at the moment .... and the answer is probably not, but that will depend on whether it's escalated to boots on the ground or still jet planes circling Iraq...... and what the polls say ....

Johnny hasn't changed has he?
    Grateful Dead

John Faulkiner mad a speech at the Reevesby Workers club last night o the reform of the ALP. And he didn't hold back either….
    "Widespread contempt for the practice of politics is not because Australians have lost faith in what politics really is. It is because too many Australians have come to see our parliaments, our governments, our political parties, and our politicians, as practising not politics but its opposite: a values-free competition for office and the spoils it can deliver.Individuals who transgress – recent examples being Peter Slipper and Craig Thomson – are seen by many as representatives of the rest. There is no doubt that the seemingly unending parade of current and former politicians from both major parties through NSW’s ICAC has been the icing on the cake as far as that view is concerned."
    And
    "The stench of corruption which has come to characterise the NSW Labor Party must be eliminated. Failing to act is not an option. The Party which gave you Eddie Obeid, Ian Macdonald and Craig Thomson, and promoted Michael Williamson as its National President must now be open to scrutiny and its processes subject to the rule of law. In fact, I believe that the rules and decisions of all political parties should be justiciable, and that State and Federal Governments should consider making a party’s eligibility for public funding contingent upon it."

Text and audio here: http://australianpolitics.com/2014/1...rm-speech.html

I see that our AG is extending the Union Royal Commission in spite of not being asked to. Covers the Vic an NSW state elections. Sanctimonious sod isn't he? That said it will be interesting to see what actual prosecutions and convictions eventuate, and the same applies to ICAC. They are a police matter, and subject to state interference.

He was not so prompt over the request for the Child Abuse RC extension.

The Faulkiner speech and the Union RC are linked and it will be interesting to see if the ALP can manage it's own reform against the personal and factional interests of those presently in power.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I see that our AG is extending the Union Royal Commission in spite of not being asked to. Covers the Vic an NSW state elections. Sanctimonious sod isn't he? That said it will be interesting to see what actual prosecutions and convictions eventuate, and the same applies to ICAC. They are a police matter, and subject to state interference.

He was not so prompt over the request for the Child Abuse RC extension.

The Faulkiner speech and the Union RC are linked and it will be interesting to see if the ALP can manage it's own reform against the personal and factional interests of those presently in power.
    Not very likely Jeff, there are too many of the same in the system but when it comes to basic values ... if they can be dug out from underneath personal ambition , I prefer labor to Lib, just a bit .
    Grateful Dead

"I prefer labor to Lib, just a bit"
    I prefer neither, a whole lot.
    More than sad for our version of democracy, they've got the market cornered and can fight happily amongst themselves whilst mostly ignoring the constituency.

Unfortunately Jeff, Admiralty Rules , we shall always choose the lesser two wevils.

Labor is the lesser, their policies on social justice are far better and it is possible , just, for them to cooperate with the Greens on GW rather than describing such things as''crap.'' They aren't perfect, in fact they are to the right of Hewson's brand of Liberalism but still the less of two evils ....

and one of the two will rule so opting out is not an option for me.
    Grateful Dead

Hockey = No Plan B, about right.

A quick transition from budget emergency to open ended war , um, police action . There goes the deficit again.
    Grateful Dead

We can afford an open ended 'police action' that has more personnel and equipment than all the locals combined and Royal Commissions into selected matters OK though.
    It's politics, you can believe what you want and push whatever line you want.
    And even if there is/was a 'crisis' the way the government went about it fouled their own processes. They should have known better. And Labor? "???????" is about the only comment I can make at present.

Um.... there was an emergency and Hockey agreed ..... at the time . But he forgets so easily .
    Grateful Dead

No , not really. I do remember Oz had amoungst the least negatives from the GFC as a direct result of Labor policy and that is what a surplus is for.
    Grateful Dead

Precisely, a stimulus . I know you'd have instituted austerity and soup kitchens but sane minds prevailed .
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Um.... there was an emergency and Hockey agreed ..... at the time . But he forgets so easily .
    I distinctly remember Hockey being interviewed by a tv reporter who asked him what he would have done. Hockey said "I would have done the same thing." Then he realized that he's just made a goose of himself and tried to recover by quickly adding "Less ten percent! Less ten percent!" but it was weak and he was still a big goose.
    Conman Cormann is no better. They'll probably produce goose eggs together.
    For those who've come across the seas
    We've boundless plains to share;

I refer you to the reply given in the matter of Arkell v. Pressdram.

I found this article quite informative on that subject (above). Yes it is from the Australian so yes, I'm aware that many here will just ignore it as Murdoch propaganda, but doing so will only maintain the existing one sided point of view.

If at all possible, try and read it with an open mind :

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...-1226690463570
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by stevebaby View Post
    I distinctly remember Hockey being interviewed by a tv reporter who asked him what he would have done. Hockey said "I would have done the same thing." Then he realized that he's just made a goose of himself and tried to recover by quickly adding "Less ten percent! Less ten percent!" but it was weak and he was still a big goose.
    Conman Cormann is no better. They'll probably produce goose eggs together.
    Yes, I have a clear memory of that too but strangely Ian has deleted those files from his head.
    Grateful Dead

No, it was the surplus and that's what it is for. Save in good times, keep the economy buoyant in hard times .Pretty basic stuff but you'd have brought on a recession and then moaned about it and introduced austerity and done the European thing. Not good at all.

I know it hurts to admit Swan got it right, but he did. The OECD said so at the time and that will do for me.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    I found this article quite informative on that subject (above). Yes it is from the Australian so yes, I'm aware that many here will just ignore it as Murdoch propaganda, but doing so will only maintain the existing one sided point of view.

If at all possible, try and read it with an open mind :

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...-1226690463570
    Hindsight is fun but at the time Swan was roundly praised by the OECD, if not the Australian. Well, to expect praise for Swan or anyone in Labor or the Greens from the Oz is a little unrealistic so I'll stick with the OECD.
    Grateful Dead