Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 35 of 106

Thread: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Caribbean cliff edge
    Posts
    21,750

    Question An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    Do you agree with the points/issues raised in this letter?
    An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg


    You are not a moral leader. But I will tell you what you are.
    Mon Nov 11, 2019 Jason D. Hill

    Greta Thunberg:
    You have declared yourself a leader and said that your generation will start a revolution. You have comported yourself as a credentialed adult and climate change activist who has fearlessly addressed politicians and world leaders. You have dropped out of school and declared that there isn’t any reason to attend, or any reason for you to study since there will be no future for you to inherit. You have, rather than attend your classes, been leading Friday Climate Strikes for all students in your generation across the globe. Your attendance at oil pipelines has been striking. There, you unequivocally declare that all oil needs to remain in the ground where it belongs.
    I shall, therefore, against the backdrop of your activism, address you as an adult rather than as a child.
    In September of 2019 you crossed the Atlantic in a “zero carbon” racing yacht that had no toilet and electric light on board. You made an impassioned plea at the United Nations in which you claimed that, “we have stolen your dreams and our childhood with our empty words.” You claimed that adults and world leaders come to young people for answers and explained in anger: “How dare you!” You claimed that we are failing you and that young people are beginning to understand our betrayal. You further declared that if we continue to fail your generation: “We will never forgive you.”
    You have stated that you want us to panic, and to act as if our homes are on fire. You insist that rich countries must reduce to zero emissions immediately. In your speeches you attack economic growth and have stated that our current climate crisis is caused by “buying and building things.” You call for climate justice and equity, without addressing the worst polluter on the planet China; the country that is economically annexing much of Africa and Latin America. You dare not lecture Iran about its uranium projects -- because that’s not part of the UN’s agenda, is it?
    You proclaim that we need to live within the planetary boundaries, to focus on equity and “take a few steps back” for the sake of all living species. You resent the hierarchical distinctions between human and animals and entertain no qualitative distinction between a monkey, a malaria-infested mosquito and a snarling hyena. You mouth slogans such as: “We have set in motion an irreversible chain reaction beyond control,” and you advocate for universal veganism on the Ellen DeGeneres show. You do not buy new clothes, and you don’t want the rest of us to either. You want us all to stop flying in jet planes without giving us an alternative as to how we would re-transform our financial and trading systems—to say nothing of our personal enjoyment of the world—without regression to a primeval era. Few can afford to cross the Atlantic in a $6M zero carbon yacht financed by rich people who made their wealth by the very means you condemn as loathsome.
    There are a few things that we, the rational adults of the world who are not bowing to you like guilt-ridden obsequious Babbitts need to say to you, Greta.

    First, we did not rob you of your childhood or of your dreams. You are the legatee of a magnificent technological civilization which my generation and the one before it and several others preceding it all the way to the Industrial Revolution and the Renaissance, bequeathed to you. That growth-driven, capitalist technological civilization has created the conditions for you to harangue us over our betrayal. It is a civilization that eradicated diseases such as small pox from the word, and that lifted millions out of abject poverty in a universe you think is dying and decaying. It assured you a life expectancy that exceeded that of your ancestors. Most likely by focusing on economic growth which you demonize, and scientific advancement, that civilization will further enhance a robust quality of life and health for your descendants.
    Here is a hard truth to ponder, Greta: if the great producers of this world whom you excoriate were to withdraw their productivity, wealth and talents—in short—their minds from the world today, your generation would simply perish. Why? Because as children you have done nothing as yet, with your lives besides being born. This is what we expect of children until such time as they can be producers by learning from their elders. You are understandably social and ecological ballast. You are not yet cognitively advanced to replicate the structures of survival of which you are the beneficiaries.
    Children are important installments on the future. We have invested in you. It is you and your smug generation which think they have nothing to learn from the older ones who are failing themselves. Whom do you expect to employ the majority of you if you have neither the job credentials or life competency skills to navigate the world? The future unemployable-skipping- school-on-Friday obstreperous children?
    The truth, as one anonymous blogger aptly put it, is that your generation is unable to work up to forty hours per week without being chronically depressed and anxious. Its members cannot even decide if they want to be a boy or a girl, or both, or neither, or a “they.” They cannot eat meat without crying. I might add that your generation needs “trigger warnings” and “safe spaces” as pre-conditions for learning in school. Its members have a pathological need to be coddled and protected from the challenging realities of life. Your generation is the biggest demander and consumer of carbon spewing technological gadgets and devices. An hour without any of them and too many of you succumb to paralyzing lethargy. Your generation is the least curious and most insular set of individuals one has ever encountered. Your hubris extends so far that you think you have nothing to learn from your elders.
    Yes, we have betrayed you: by capitulating the world of leadership to bored, attention-deficit children who spout bromides, platitudes and slogans that a rudderless and morally relativistic culture accepts because a significant number of its denizens have become intellectually bankrupt and morally lazy.
    The logical endpoint of your ecological vision would see us living in primeval conditions eking out an existence in jungle swamps in which we would regard poisonous snakes and man-eating tigers as our moral equals. We would have to adapt ourselves to nature rather than adapt nature to meet our needs, like all members of civilized civilizations do. Your vision would see us foraging for mushrooms and plants without knowing which were inimical to our digestive systems. Under your system we would swelter from heat, die from rampant plagues and starvation because there will be no air-conditioning units, no sophisticated plumbing and irrigations and sewer systems, no anti-bacterial soap made from animal matter, no pesticides and chemicals to sanitize our food and drinking supplies: just one primordial swamp of human putrefaction.
    If civilization is left in the hands of your ecofascist supporters we will be living in grass huts, drinking animal feces infested water, and shrinking in fear from polar bears instead of killing them for food when they attack us.
    contd
    I live and drink rum where other people vacation.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Caribbean cliff edge
    Posts
    21,750

    Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    Contd

    Greta, living in complete harmony with nature is the death of creativity. Understand this. All great civilizations were forged in the crucibles of proper exploitation of the earth. Those who lived on land with oil and did nothing with it never had a right to it in the first place. Non-usage of God’s resources is the cardinal sin because it results in the un-development of our human capabilities, and makes us indistinguishable from beasts.
    Your generation needs to be taught the morality of wealth creation, rather than only parasitically benefiting from it. The only revolution you will lead is one into nihilism and civilization regression. You need to learn about the moral case for fossil fuel. You owe it to yourself to understand how as, Kathleen Hartnett White has detailed, the harnessing of the vast store of concentrated energy in fossil fuels allowed mankind, for the first time in human history, to escape intractable constraints and energy limits that had left all but the very privileged in total poverty and depravity. Before the Industrial Revolution all societies were dependent on a very limited flow of solar energy captured in living plants for subsistence needs such as food, fuel and shelter.
    But we, the creative enterprisers, will not go back to the Dark Ages. Your philosophy can be summed up as follows:
    What was good for my anthropoid ancestors is good for me. Do not rock the boat, or even build one as that will require cutting down a tree. Do not disrupt nature. Do not dare to see the earth as rightfully belonging to us. We don’t have the right to use our brains in a manner that can transform our needs into a material form. Let’s conveniently forget that production is the application of reason to the problems of survival. Let’s all diminish the grandeur of man and his luminous potential. Crush the Thomas Edisons of this world.
    The apocalyptic world vision you hold has been a strip landing for those who have hated progress throughout history. Your apocalyptic predictions have been made for millennia, and, we’re still here. We will still be here long after you’ve grown up and we have forgiven you for skipping classes, thereby lowering the intelligence quotient of an entire generation.
    *
    Jason D. Hill is professor of philosophy at DePaul University in Chicago, and a Shillman Journalism Fellow at the David Horowitz Freedom Center. His areas of specialization include ethics, social and political philosophy, American foreign policy and American politics. He is the author of several books, including “We Have Overcome: An Immigrant’s Letter to the American People” (Bombardier Books/Post Hill Press).
    I live and drink rum where other people vacation.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    30,698

    Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    The David Horowitz Freedom Center, formerly the Center for the Study of Popular Culture (CSPC), is a conservative[3][4][5] foundation founded in 1988 by political activist David Horowitz and his long-time collaborator Peter Collier. It was established with funding from groups including the John M. Olin Foundation, the Bradley Foundation and the Scaife Foundation. It runs several websites and blogs, including FrontPage Magazine, Students for Academic Freedom and the blog Jihad Watch. Both the foundation and Jihad Watch have been described as Islamophobic.[6][7][8]

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast, Ca
    Posts
    25,071

    Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    "The gravest internal threat to this country is not illegal aliens; it is leftist professors who are waging a war against America and teaching our young people to hate this country."

    Jason D. Hill

    Whack job extraordinaire


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    30,698

    Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    On April 16, 2019, Jason Hill published an article in The Federalist in which he argued that Palestinians should be stripped of their right to self-determination and of their right to vote. In his article, Hill argues that Israel has a moral right to annex the West Bank, and to either contain or expel Palestinians from their land. Hill argues that "not all cultures are indeed equal": Jewish culture is morally exceptional and should be given "unconditional space for the continued evolution of [Jewish] civilization."[13] Other cultures, he argues, are "abysmally inferior and regressive based on their comprehensive philosophy and fundamental principles--or lack thereof--that guide or fail to protect the inalienable rights of their citizens."[14] In this article, Hill also states that the U.S. should pay reparations to the State of Israel, and that Israel's use of violence against Palestinians is morally justifiable and the sole responsibility of Palestinians themselves.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    17,267

    Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    Thanks John, saved me from having to read it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    30,698

    Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    Where does he get this ***? And why does he post it knowing he'll be ridiculed?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    19,481

    Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    No, as it's written by a sad idiot and makes no sense at all.

    Rick

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Caribbean cliff edge
    Posts
    21,750

    Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    The David Horowitz Freedom Center, formerly the Center for the Study of Popular Culture (CSPC), is a conservative[3][4][5] foundation founded in 1988 by political activist David Horowitz and his long-time collaborator Peter Collier. It was established with funding from groups including the John M. Olin Foundation, the Bradley Foundation and the Scaife Foundation. It runs several websites and blogs, including FrontPage Magazine, Students for Academic Freedom and the blog Jihad Watch. Both the foundation and Jihad Watch have been described as Islamophobic.[6][7][8]
    OK.

    However that does not dispel the points raised in the 'letter'. BTW I did not observe anything in the letter that was Islamophobic, did you?

    There are some points which are apt, and others that aren't necessarily so in my view.

    So I raised the question "Do you agree with the points/issues raised in this letter?" .
    I live and drink rum where other people vacation.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Sitka, AK
    Posts
    27,392

    Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    I like her and her mojo! She's brave and has guts too.

    Unfortunately her handlers do her no favors.

    I hope she can find happiness in her future and maybe even help the earth.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    57,677

    Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    Handlers? from Brian W?
    Figures.

    Take notice or be overtaken. Not by 'leftists', the left are amongst the most conservative of all political factions.
    But by the effects of climate change on all aspects of human and indeed all species life in particular. And by your children and grandchildren as their life prospects decline and they do their best to cope.

    I likely won't live to see many the changes, but I am living through many of the events that will precipitate that change. So are you Brian. and RP.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.
    Posts
    7,545

    Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    No.

    We need a kid, or someone to yell at us.
    We need to use the few remaining fossil fuels to transition away from fossil fuels.
    It isn't an either / or situation.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.
    .

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    13,421

    Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    BTW, Venice flooding has city 'on its knees,' Italy to declare state of emergency

    Carpe Librum!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    St. Paul, MN, USA
    Posts
    53,817

    Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    Do you agree with the points/issues raised in this letter?
    No. It's pretty much a classic straw man fallacy. There's some truth in it, but it's mixed with altogether too much bile and a large dose of bullsh!t.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

    Richard Feynman

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Caribbean cliff edge
    Posts
    21,750

    Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    I read it and several questions arose:
    1. Do you believe that she should have ended her education: "You have dropped out of school and declared that there isn’t any reason to attend, or any reason for you to study since there will be no future for you to inherit."
    2. Should she encourage students in her generation to have
    Friday Climate Strikes rather than attend their classes,
    3. Is this accurate of her: " our current climate crisis is caused by “buying and building things.” Y
    4. I don't know if she addressed China's pollution elsewhere. If not she should do along with the Iran uranium situation.
    5. I would disagree with slogans such as: “We have set in motion an irreversible chain reaction beyond control,” and advocating universal veganism
    6 If nobody buys new clothes then the clothes will wear to and there will be no 'new' clothes to become 'second hand clothes'.
    7. This is correct: You want us all to stop flying in jet planes without giving us an alternative as to how we would re-transform our financial and trading systems
    8. Correct: Few can afford to cross the Atlantic in a $6M zero carbon yacht financed by rich people who made their wealth by the very means you condemn as loathsome.
    9. True: You are the legatee of a magnificent technological civilization which my generation and the one before it and several others preceding it all the way to the Industrial Revolution and the Renaissance, bequeathed to you.
    10. True: It is a civilization that eradicated diseases such as small pox from the word, and that lifted millions out of abject poverty in a universe you think is dying and decaying. It assured you a life expectancy that exceeded that of your ancestors.
    11. I agree: The truth, as one anonymous blogger aptly put it, is that your generation is unable to work up to forty hours per week without being chronically depressed and anxious.
    12: True: Its members cannot even decide if they want to be a boy or a girl, or both, or neither, or a “they.”
    13. True for many: They cannot eat meat without crying.
    14. Seems like quite a few: : your generation needs “trigger warnings” and “safe spaces” as pre-conditions for learning in school. Its members have a pathological need to be coddled and protected from the challenging realities of life.
    15. True: Your generation is the biggest demander and consumer of carbon spewing technological gadgets and devices.
    16: On it's way: betrayed you: by capitulating the world of leadership to bored, attention-deficit children who spout bromides, platitudes and slogans that a rudderless and morally relativistic culture accepts because a significant number of its denizens have become intellectually bankrupt and morally lazy.

    There are others.

    But will call a halt here as the majority on this forum will not wish to discuss anything, including this, unless it is against their President and anyone that does not avidly support their political and biased beliefs.

    Lighten up chaps, discuss things, try not to be parochial and bogged down in your close minded mantra.

    I live and drink rum where other people vacation.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Caribbean cliff edge
    Posts
    21,750

    Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    .....I likely won't live to see many the changes, but I am living through many of the events that will precipitate that change. So are you Brian. and RP.
    I agree with that. Some of that change will not be for the better.
    I live and drink rum where other people vacation.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    57,677

    Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    He's suffering from irrelevance syndrome I reckon, many of his and my contemporaries are as well.
    We had our shot, and blew it.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    OK.

    However that does not dispel the points raised in the 'letter'. BTW I did not observe anything in the letter that was Islamophobic, did you?

    There are some points which are apt, and others that aren't necessarily so in my view.

    So I raised the question "Do you agree with the points/issues raised in this letter?" .
    No, I don't agree with many of the points raised in the letter. I haven't actually followed Greta so I do not know if he is misquoting her. I believe he probably is, because the letter shows that its writer is a liar, and since the writer also professes to be a Christian and Christianity says one should not lie, the writer is a hypocrite.

    For example, the smug hypocrite claims that "The truth, as one anonymous blogger aptly put it, is that your generation is unable to work up to forty hours per week without being chronically depressed and anxious. Its members cannot even decide if they want to be a boy or a girl, or both, or neither, or a “they.” They cannot eat meat without crying...... Its members have a pathological need to be coddled and protected from the challenging realities of life. Your generation is the biggest demander and consumer of carbon spewing technological gadgets and devices. An hour without any of them and too many of you succumb to paralyzing lethargy. Your generation is the least curious and most insular set of individuals one has ever encountered. Your hubris extends so far that you think you have nothing to learn from your elders."

    That paragraph is not just a lie, it is a stupid and vicious lie. Greta's generation includes many children in developing countries who work 40 hours a week and more. Even in affluent countries, there are many kids who turn up to school and then go to work at Macdonalds or KFC, much to the despair of their teachers. And yes, any look at any Maccas will show that many of Greta's generation eat lots of meat. And no, the fact that the writer is clearly being rhetorical does not excuse such a vicious, hate-filled mass of lies.

    To claim that a generation who are generally too young to drive and do not possess cars are "the biggest consumers of carbon producing gadgets" is another lie. An iphone uses far less carbon than the SUVs that many of the older generation chooses. It is older generations who tend to fly more, buy household appliances, etc.

    To claim, as the racist lying hypocritical writer does, that "Those who lived on land with oil and did nothing with it never had a right to it in the first place. Non-usage of God’s resources is the cardinal sin because it results in the un-development of our human capabilities, and makes us indistinguishable from beasts" is just ridiculous. God-fearing Christians lived on land with other mineral resources for eons without doing anything with those resources. Jesus Christ lived on land with oil and did nothing with it, so according to this fool, the man he worships committed the cardinal sin and was indistinguishable from beasts. Isn't insulting god like that a sin? That anyone can write such tosh indicates that they are utterly illogical and enormously biased, as well as clearly racist.

    By claiming that "Before the Industrial Revolution all societies were dependent on a very limited flow of solar energy captured in living plants for subsistence needs such as food, fuel and shelter" the author is again showing his ignorance. Fish, he may be surprised to know, is an ancient food source. It would apparently stagger him to know that fish are not plants. He may also be surprised to know that bricks and tiles, which pre-date the IR by thousands of years, are also not living plants. Nor are peat and coal, which were used for fuel well before the IR.

    These things may appear minor, but they show that this fool does not know his history and that he is happy to lie in order to try to make a pathetic rhetorical point. He is a dishonest racist fool and his rantings should be seen in that light.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    98,946

    Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post

    Lighten up chaps, discuss things, try not to be parochial and bogged down in your close minded mantra.

    forsooth
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast, Ca
    Posts
    25,071

    Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Handlers? from Brian W?
    Figures.


    I likely won't live to see many the changes, but I am living through many of the events that will precipitate that change. So are you Brian. and RP.
    As I understand it Brian works for a company that puts out fires...

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    46,982

    Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    This, to a 16yo
    shall, therefore, against the backdrop of your activism, address you as an adult rather than as a child.
    is beyond patronising, and out the other side.
    I lost interest at that point.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Kingsville, Ontario
    Posts
    596

    Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    Why does this young woman frighten and anger so many people?.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    huntsville, al, usa
    Posts
    5,362

    Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    i like it.

    "it's from a conservative group CANCELLED"

    "i found someone that called them Islamophobic CANCELLED"

    progress on bruthuhs

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    46,982

    Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    Quote Originally Posted by L.A Marche View Post
    Why does this young woman frighten and anger so many people?.
    Because she is young, and therefore not allowed to have opinions.
    I met the same reaction with a young middle aged old fart claiming that university students should not have opinions.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    huntsville, al, usa
    Posts
    5,362

    Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    This, to a 16yo
    is beyond patronising, and out the other side.
    I lost interest at that point.


    that same attitude comes from the people that want to let 16 yr olds vote. hilarious.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    57,677

    Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    Quote Originally Posted by L.A Marche View Post
    Why does this young woman frighten and anger so many people?.
    Because she's right, and they know it, and the prospect of change scares them too but they are like Golem, clutching on to their treasure even as it ebs away from beneath them………….. and then they are dead leaving their kids holding the bag.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Kingsville, Ontario
    Posts
    596

    Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    that same attitude comes from the people that want to let 16 yr olds vote. hilarious.
    Well they can’t do worse than their elders.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    I read it and several questions arose:
    1. Do you believe that she should have ended her education: "You have dropped out of school and declared that there isn’t any reason to attend, or any reason for you to study since there will be no future for you to inherit."



    2. Should she encourage students in her generation to have
    Friday Climate Strikes rather than attend their classes,

    Why not? Taking ONE day off school to express your point of view on something you feel to be very important isn't a bad thing.

    3. Is this accurate of her: " our current climate crisis is caused by “buying and building things.”



    4. I don't know if she addressed China's pollution elsewhere. If not she should do along with the Iran uranium situation.
    5. I would disagree with slogans such as: “We have set in motion an irreversible chain reaction beyond control,” and advocating universal veganism
    6 If nobody buys new clothes then the clothes will wear to and there will be no 'new' clothes to become 'second hand clothes'.

    7. This is correct: You want us all to stop flying in jet planes without giving us an alternative as to how we would re-transform our financial and trading systems

    8. Correct: Few can afford to cross the Atlantic in a $6M zero carbon yacht financed by rich people who made their wealth by the very means you condemn as loathsome.
    9. True: You are the legatee of a magnificent technological civilization which my generation and the one before it and several others preceding it all the way to the Industrial Revolution and the Renaissance, bequeathed to you.
    10. True: It is a civilization that eradicated diseases such as small pox from the word, and that lifted millions out of abject poverty in a universe you think is dying and decaying. It assured you a life expectancy that exceeded that of your ancestors.
    11. I agree: The truth, as one anonymous blogger aptly put it, is that your generation is unable to work up to forty hours per week without being chronically depressed and anxious.
    12: True: Its members cannot even decide if they want to be a boy or a girl, or both, or neither, or a “they.”
    13. True for many: They cannot eat meat without crying.
    14. Seems like quite a few: : your generation needs “trigger warnings” and “safe spaces” as pre-conditions for learning in school. Its members have a pathological need to be coddled and protected from the challenging realities of life.
    15. True: Your generation is the biggest demander and consumer of carbon spewing technological gadgets and devices.
    16: On it's way: betrayed you: by capitulating the world of leadership to bored, attention-deficit children who spout bromides, platitudes and slogans that a rudderless and morally relativistic culture accepts because a significant number of its denizens have become intellectually bankrupt and morally lazy.

    There are others.

    But will call a halt here as the majority on this forum will not wish to discuss anything, including this, unless it is against their President and anyone that does not avidly support their political and biased beliefs.

    Lighten up chaps, discuss things, try not to be parochial and bogged down in your close minded mantra.

    For one, many of your "truths" are in fact lies. It is, for example, a ludicrous lie that you say that an entire generation cannot work out their gender. It is a lie to say that the younger generation is the greatest consumer of carbon generating items. It is a lie to claim that all members of her generation need "safe spaces" etc.

    There seems to be no reason why reducing flying requires re-creation of our financial systems.

    Your last line is smug self-worship, where you are putting yourself on a pedestal of your own arrogance and pretending that others are closed-minded and you are superior.
    Last edited by Chris249; 11-14-2019 at 05:34 PM.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    Quote Originally Posted by L.A Marche View Post
    Why does this young woman frighten and anger so many people?.
    Those who seem to be angriest at this young woman are old men, which seems to be significant.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    55.878927N 3.971414W
    Posts
    2,518

    Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    I'll discuss the message and not tear up the messenger.

    The crux of this (largely, imo, facetious argument) appears to depend on the truly absurd and extremely capitalist point that there's any 'moral case for fossil fuel'.

    Morals? Flip me.

    Fossil fuels are localised, they are therefore politicised, they have had many, many wars fought over them. The fuels enable every single one of us (if we're not poor) living in technologically advanced capitalist societies, the ability to destroy the planet's future ecosystem by abusing them, without - seemingly - a shred of conscious thought.

    That's not good. So Greta is right.

    But fossil fuels also enable us to develop from 'dark age' societies, those plant-based solar-societies, to fully transform us into technological societies that do not depend on fossil fuels. Tidal, wind-powered, fission, fusion, orbital PV societies ... there are potential technological futures where we can live to our full without a reliance on 'the black stuff'. It's not either/or, simply because the writer has blinkers.

    I can see a future where our reliance on coal, gas and oil are looked at with the same stunned surprise that we now view those in the past who relied on whale oil for lighting.

    Andy
    "We were schooner-rigged and rakish, with a long and lissome hull ..."

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    i like it.

    "it's from a conservative group CANCELLED"

    "i found someone that called them Islamophobic CANCELLED"

    progress on bruthuhs
    So you agree with a writer who claims that Jesus Christ and his early followers were sub human, and claims they committed the cardinal sin?

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    32,827

    Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    "The gravest internal threat to this country is not illegal aliens; it is leftist professors who are waging a war against America and teaching our young people to hate this country."

    Jason D. Hill

    Whack job extraordinaire

    Or failing to teach history. Or teaching a history where we are always the ones with the white hats.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    98,946

    Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    Have you actually listened to Ms. Thunberg in her own words, Rummy?

    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  34. #34
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    53,408

    Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    OK.

    However that does not dispel the points raised in the 'letter'. BTW I did not observe anything in the letter that was Islamophobic, did you?

    There are some points which are apt, and others that aren't necessarily so in my view.

    So I raised the question "Do you agree with the points/issues raised in this letter?" .
    You first. And where do you get this stuff?

  35. #35
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    53,408

    Default Re: An Open Letter to Greta Thunberg

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Those who seem to be angriest at this young woman are old men, which seems to be significant.

    the appropriate response is “ok boomer”

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •