Page 672 of 674 FirstFirst ... 172572622662671672673 ... LastLast
Results 23,486 to 23,520 of 23589

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Now to have the energy to do some sailing..................
    Just let me know when?
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

In a sea of dark madness, a glimmer of light appears: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-...court/10792902

Also see Bruce Stannard's latest article in this month's Afloat. Don't expect to be cheered by it though.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    In a sea of dark madness, a glimmer of light appears: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-...court/10792902

Also see Bruce Stannard's latest article in this month's Afloat. Don't expect to be cheered by it though.

Rick
    BUT.....https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-...ction/10791164
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Government and big businesses can get away with this but just try and dump some asbestos at the tip without declaring it and see what happens.
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-...gorge/10781322

Truth. or registering a boat trailer without all the correct receipts.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

So the government will no doubt take credit for uptake in renewables and the subsequent reduction in CO2 emissions...despite doing nothing to promote their usage. I fact they have done nothing other than denigrate renewables while pushing for more government subsidized coal fired power stations.
    The knock back of the coal mine in the Hunter was good news but it was a mine that had been knocked back by the minister. It would have been more newsworthy if the judge had knocked back a government approved mine application.
    However there is a silver lining, the judge knocked it back on environmental grounds and it's effect on global CO2 emissions, this is as far as I know a first and it sets a nice precedent.

Could this happen here and is it already happening?

It depends what you mean. Can our politicians hold stocks in any company they like and then enact legislation to benefit their holdings? In theory, no but in practice, yes, as all they need to do is divest of their holdings by passing them on to other members of their family. If we had free press in Australia, they'd be scrutinised by the media for doing this but, as we have Murdoch-dominated press, scrutiny of politicians, especially Coalition politicians, doesn't really happen much. Australia has industries that are enormously destructive to our environment and society - coalmining and sugar are two particularly bad examples, and they're heavily protected by politicians and subsidised by all of us. Many rural industries are destructive due to excess rather than being a destructive industry per se. Many of our politicians have very substantial land holdings and continue to push measures that benefit their holdings rather than we who pay them serve us.

Or, could we see a mainstream politician ripping into the greed and corruption that is so characteristic of mainstream politics in Australia? No, it doesn't happen here. When independents and members of minor parties try it here, they're ridiculed by the major parties and by our heavily biased media. We also have a legal industry here which protects politicians from scrutiny to a much greater degree than is the case in the US.

Rick

"We also have a legal industry here which protects politicians from scrutiny…………..."

Of course, and the preponderance of lawyers in parliament explains them protecting their own.

Let me get this straight, he's blaming the opposition for supporting his parties own bill?!
    Federal Government frontbencher Christopher Pyne claims all asylum seekers and refugees on Manus Island and Nauru could "qualify" to travel to Australia, if the Opposition continues to support a contentious bill about medical transfers.

Last edited by skuthorp; 02-10-2019 at 05:06 AM.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

We also have a legal industry here which protects politicians from scrutiny to a much greater degree than is the case in the US.

Rick
    Lets not forget witness K; he see's an ex-minister siphon off intelligence resources to carry out an illegal tapping, give the benefits of that tapping to a private company, and then gets a cushy job as a 'consultant' with that company after school.
    Also Woodside was the sole beneficiary of estimated billions of dollars of tax payer funded oil/gas/helium exploration, for which they have returned $0 to the Australian economy - but have given politicians, from both sides, jobs.

Witness K raises an eyebrow and now he's been charged under anti-terrorism laws.
    In what part of the whole picture, in any way, can K be considered a terrorist - and his lawyer!
    (you challenge our entitlements, we'll ruin your life and your lawyers).

Simply the legal machine protecting the interests of corrupt politicians, at a material cost to Australians. That's before we consider the strategic costs of alienating an ally with very valuable resources for Australian defense.
    Philip K. Dick — 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

Speaking of politicians, incompetence, and corruption…...
    NBN
    Twenty Billion dollar write down…..

not fit for service, not fit for sale.

and no where near as good as New Zealand's.

Forget the election, we'll privatise the PM's job and give the contract to Jacinda Ardern

As for Witness K et al. A show trial in the unsavoury tradition of regimes with ambitions of control.

And Morrison selling fear of just about everything, supported of course by the security heads. Of course.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 02-11-2019 at 03:09 AM.

and the soccer player betrayed to Bahrein by the Feds has won his case in Thailand and is on his way home tonight…………...

but that's not the end of the problem, see Saudi women refugees sent back by BF. There's something rotten going on.

Wilson et anor no doubt
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Lets not forget witness K; he see's an ex-minister siphon off intelligence resources to carry out an illegal tapping, give the benefits of that tapping to a private company, and then gets a cushy job as a 'consultant' with that company after school.
    Also Woodside was the sole beneficiary of estimated billions of dollars of tax payer funded oil/gas/helium exploration, for which they have returned $0 to the Australian economy - but have given politicians, from both sides, jobs.

Witness K raises an eyebrow and now he's been charged under anti-terrorism laws.
    In what part of the whole picture, in any way, can K be considered a terrorist - and his lawyer!
    (you challenge our entitlements, we'll ruin your life and your lawyers).

Simply the legal machine protecting the interests of corrupt politicians, at a material cost to Australians. That's before we consider the strategic costs of alienating an ally with very valuable resources for Australian defense.
    Xanthorrea

Hmm, is Labour getting cold feet re Phelps bill, and their own statements?

Libs are selling fear again. I expect they'll roll out Howard again.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    NBN

Forget the election, we'll privatise the PM's job and give the contract to Jacinda Ardern

As for Witness K et al. A show trial in the unsavoury tradition of regimes with ambitions of control.

And Morrison selling fear of just about everything, supported of course by the security heads. Of course.
    Please can we?

Q&A:
    Political grandstanding on both sides, following the parties lines. Even Mayne. But a very smart
    peoples rep' is pulling them up.
    They should declare Pollies persona non grata till at least 3 weeks after the election or it will not be worth watching.

NBN

Go back a decade and a bit and that's exactly what I told the clowns of the left on this (and predecessor) threads would happen with the NBN. No, no... infrastructure building is good, you all said.

You guys haven't got a clue. At least you vote informal, which is quite appropriate.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

The bastardised version of the NBN is a result of the LibNats wanting a setup that could be sold to their mates to make a profit, not a government/people owned service that, though expensive, would work.
    Remember that old fashioned word 'service'?
    Postal service, Police service, etc?

Looks like the Greens are once again dismissing the good in pursuit of the perfect………………...

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Go back a decade and a bit and that's exactly what I told the clowns of the left on this (and predecessor) threads would happen with the NBN. No, no... infrastructure building is good, you all said.

You guys haven't got a clue. At least you vote informal, which is quite appropriate.
    Given that you seem to define `the left' as anyone with a conscience, I'll have to accept that I fall into that category, even though I regard such labels as pretty stupid. As usual, you're wrong. I was always opposed to mass rollout of the NBN, regardless of who does it, and said so then on the threads you refer to. I don't think I was the only one. Y At the time, it was the Labor government, of course, so you opposed it for that reason alone. I thought then as I do now that it would become a ridiculously expensive white elephant as other technologies will fulfil a similar role and, in any case, governments shouldn't be spending a fortune on ways to stream video games more efficiently. Of course the Coalition will try to sell it all off, and lock the public into secret contractual responsibilities that will leave us all worse off in the future, as they pretty much always do. Labor will do exactly the same thing.

Rick

The word is if they had stuck with Labor's plan which would have cost more but would have worked. Now we have a system that is great for some and rubbish for most sitting on top of an old system that is overloaded and ailing.
    If you are outside a metro or regional centre your option is expensive (for what you get) and slow satellite. We are on a Telstra business plan, 3 kilometres from the exchange and some afternoons we can't even get dialup speed.
    AND on top of that they are talking about writing off 20 billion to help lower prices.

The bastardised version of the NBN is a result of the LibNats wanting a setup that could be sold to their mates to make a profit, not a government/people owned service that, though expensive, would work.
    Ha ha. You so funny.

Postal service.... ha ha. Over-run by the private sector because of its lack of service.

Police service? Force is the word. Police Force.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Given that you seem to define `the left' as anyone with a conscience, I'll have to accept that I fall into that category, even though I regard such labels as pretty stupid. As usual, you're wrong. I was always opposed to mass rollout of the NBN, regardless of who does it, and said so then on the threads you refer to. I don't think I was the only one. Y At the time, it was the Labor government, of course, so you opposed it for that reason alone. I thought then as I do now that it would become a ridiculously expensive white elephant as other technologies will fulfil a similar role and, in any case, governments shouldn't be spending a fortune on ways to stream video games more efficiently. Of course the Coalition will try to sell it all off, and lock the public into secret contractual responsibilities that will leave us all worse off in the future, as they pretty much always do. Labor will do exactly the same thing.

Rick
    Nah, I define the 'left' as those bereft of the intelligence to see the consequences of the actions they lobby for. That and a bit more, but I'm not sure you'd be able to follow along.

I'm glad to hear you were opposed to the mass rollout of the NBN. Pity you weren't a bit more effective. Oh, that's right, left, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    The word is if they had stuck with Labor's plan which would have cost more but would have worked. Now we have a system that is great for some and rubbish for most sitting on top of an old system that is overloaded and ailing.
    If you are outside a metro or regional centre your option is expensive (for what you get) and slow satellite. We are on a Telstra business plan, 3 kilometres from the exchange and some afternoons we can't even get dialup speed.
    AND on top of that they are talking about writing off 20 billion to help lower prices.
    Please do tell us just how it would have worked?

Basically it's a dog. And yes maybe Huawei tech would have eventually superseded it but that looks like its not going anywhere any time soon. But what we have is worse than what we had, at least in both areas we inhabit. Of course what Rick said "governments shouldn't be spending a fortune on ways to stream video games more efficiently." Ad Netfix et al as well but thats what the voter expects then the voter rules in the long run. But of course in the longer run we really do not know where the tech will go, only that the price will go up.

AKA Geheimestaatspolitzei or maybe Sicherheitdienst. Sehr droll..(Once Dutton et al outsource it)
    Ha ha. You so funny.

Postal service.... ha ha. Over-run by the private sector because of its lack of service.

Police service? Force is the word. Police Force.

Xanthorrea

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    AKA Geheimestaatspolitzei or maybe Sicherheitdienst. Sehr droll..(Once Dutton et al outsource it)
    I see you are still confused.

We're discussing Australia. In this case Victoria.

Language setting is English.

Politics setting is state politics in this case. Dutton is federal politics.

Do try to keep up, as difficult as that obviously is for you.

Basically it's a dog. And yes maybe Huawei tech would have eventually superseded it but that looks like its not going anywhere any time soon. But what we have is worse than what we had, at least in both areas we inhabit. Of course what Rick said "governments shouldn't be spending a fortune on ways to stream video games more efficiently." Ad Netfix et al as well but thats what the voter expects then the voter rules in the long run. But of course in the longer run we really do not know where the tech will go, only that the price will go up.
    Speaking of confused......

Please do tell us just how it would have worked?
    I don't know but it seems even the Kiwis are capable of doing something our major parties seem incapable of doing. Christ, I'd settle for an upgrade of our local exchange!

Nah, I define the 'left' as those bereft of the intelligence to see the consequences of the actions they lobby for. That and a bit more, but I'm not sure you'd be able to follow along.

I'm glad to hear you were opposed to the mass rollout of the NBN. Pity you weren't a bit more effective. Oh, that's right, left, eh?
    Well, having endured what you seem to think is your `logic' for all these years, I'd have to agree that I'd probably be unable to follow along. There's only so long a person can spend watching water spiralling down the plughole.

As far as effectiveness in, presumably, preventing the NBN fiasco (?), I guess I was about as effective as the Coalition has been - except I don't have access to billions of our dollars and all of the resources of government. Actually, I've probably been more effective, in that nothing I've done actually made a bad situation much worse.

That reminds me - supporting the Coalition these days must be a bit like watching your soccer team lining up to kick the ball into their own net. What's that like, I wonder?

Rick
    Last edited by RFNK; 02-11-2019 at 10:49 PM.

Well, having endured what you seem to think is `logic', I'd have to agree that I'd probably be unable to follow along.

As far as effectiveness in, presumably, preventing the NBN fiasco (?), I guess I was about as effective as the Coalition has been - except I don't have access to billions of our dollars and all of the resources of government. Actually, I've probably been more effective, in that nothing I've done actually made a bad situation much worse.

That reminds me - supporting the Coalition these days must be a bit like watching your soccer team lining up to kick the ball into their own net. What's that like, I wonder?

Rick
    Yep.

Soout of date in LibNatWorld
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Soout of date in LibNatWorld
    You really do hanker for a return to the 50's, don't you?

Check out QANTAS these days vs back under gubby ownership. They could never get the fleet updated under government processes.