Thread: Electric campers

Default Electric campers

With the borders of our country closed, the tourist industry has gone from visitor numbers of about 2/3 of our population per ann, to zero almost overnight.
    We have a substantial tourist orientated industry devoted to travellers wanting to explore NZ, and a lot of them rent small RVs or campers, as we ease into less restrictive lockdown mode the whole industry is looking to entice local people into filling some of the bookings lost.

I'd planned a trip this year, was all organised to do the Salish 100, a cruise in the North Channel with Howard Rice, a walk of the sands of Kittyhawk and a visit to the Wright Bros museum ( I'm sure there is one) and a kayak trip down the sandstone gorges on Lake Mead. But thats not possible, so I'm about to book one of the super cheap deals going for a camper, and am very interested to note that all the major brands are offering electric powered campers.
    They have campgrounds all sorted with charger points, included in the cost of the deal so effectively no fuel costs, and a range of about 150 km, which is enough for a days driving when on holiday. If we want to go further there are lots of charger points around now, they show on Google maps and at 2 hours for a full recharge that would give us time for a leisurely lunch and a walk to stretch our legs.

It would be an interesting experience.

https://www.britz.com/nz/en/camperva...2-berth-evolve

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Default Re: Electric campers

Fancy!

John,

enjoy your camper trip; Cathy and I sure did. The first night we camped in the wrong place and a ranger found us in the morning. I was waiting for the ticket--instead he told us about a few places that we'd enjoy stopping at on our trip north. VERY different from the U.S.!

I've been thinking about what a hit the loss to tourism will be for you all down there, camper vans in particular, and I hope you make it through OK.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Wright Brothers museum is at the site of First Flight on the Outer Banks. There are also quite a number of other Wright museums as I have been to several that I did not know existed. There may even be one or more with a computer registered system so you can fly it. It is hard to take off, fly a bit and land without crashing as most all would be pilots do. Had good fortune the first time and did it but never was I able to repeat the trick.

The Salish Sea and the whole PNW area is a great choice for a cruise as is The North Channel. We have been lucky enough to boat in many areas of North America. Your experience in cruising most any water in North America is probably as much due to personal feelings and adaptability as the site itself.
    Tom L

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    John,

enjoy your camper trip; Cathy and I sure did. The first night we camped in the wrong place and a ranger found us in the morning. I was waiting for the ticket--instead he told us about a few places that we'd enjoy stopping at on our trip north. VERY different from the U.S.!

I've been thinking about what a hit the loss to tourism will be for you all down there, camper vans in particular, and I hope you make it through OK.

Tom
    Thanks Tom, it was really good to have the two of you here. Great to catch up.
    Tourism is such a big part of our economy that the loss of overseas visitors is going to have some serious effects on the economy. But, small consolation but some, with NZers being unable to travel outside the country there will be a lot of people wanting to try the local scene, us included.
    I've a book that shows the location of the geothermal hot water swimming pools, and there are dozens of them and it seems to us like a fun way to spend a winter week finding and exploring them.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lathrop View Post
    Wright Brothers museum is at the site of First Flight on the Outer Banks. There are also quite a number of other Wright museums as I have been to several that I did not know existed. There may even be one or more with a computer registered system so you can fly it. It is hard to take off, fly a bit and land without crashing as most all would be pilots do. Had good fortune the first time and did it but never was I able to repeat the trick.

The Salish Sea and the whole PNW area is a great choice for a cruise as is The North Channel. We have been lucky enough to boat in many areas of North America. Your experience in cruising most any water in North America is probably as much due to personal feelings and adaptability as the site itself.
    I've done a lot of sailing around the Port Townsend area, in fact for a while there I think I was doing more mileage in SCAMP number one than I was in my own boats.
    Great place, great memories.
    I'm hoping to add to them again next year.

John Welsford

Sometime if you get the chance, John. You really need to make it to one of the Mid-Atlantic Small Craft Festival get togethers in Maryland the first weekend in October. There are always a few of your designs floating about.

You really should come sail the Chesapeake, it is a lovely place when not in the dead of summer.

I have found the best time to visit the Outerbanks of NC is in early June, just before Tourist Season Starts. The weather is nice, little chance of Hurricanes, and very few tourists to clog up the one and only road in and out. Kill Devil Hills is where the Wright Brother's Museum is located. Last time I was there I took a ride on a steerman biplane. Was a nice way to see the beaches.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

One of my sons took me on a camper trip in the Nth Island a few years ago. Had a great time.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

if you were doing the north channel, detroit's not far away
    the wright brother's home, bicycle shop and wind tunnel are in greenfield village in dearborn
    three hours south, wright patterson airfield has a wright flyer
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

We used to live in Port Townsend...moved there when Obama was voted in..it was a good day and time. Stayed 5 years, wife wanted to move back to Eugene...to be close to grandkids.
    Sailing was great in the PT area..I went to the Wooden Boat sailing school there...loved it all.
    The electric camper idea..like the idea..hopefully it will evolve...more and more. Thanks Mr.Welsford for bring it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    Sometime if you get the chance, John. You really need to make it to one of the Mid-Atlantic Small Craft Festival get togethers in Maryland the first weekend in October. There are always a few of your designs floating about.

You really should come sail the Chesapeake, it is a lovely place when not in the dead of summer.

I have found the best time to visit the Outerbanks of NC is in early June, just before Tourist Season Starts. The weather is nice, little chance of Hurricanes, and very few tourists to clog up the one and only road in and out. Kill Devil Hills is where the Wright Brother's Museum is located. Last time I was there I took a ride on a steerman biplane. Was a nice way to see the beaches.
    I've been to the Mid Atlantic SCF, was one of the featured speakers some years back. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Thanks for the tips on timing for the Outer Banks Art, I'll keep it in mind.

John Welsford