Page 840 of 841 FirstFirst ... 340740790830839840841 LastLast
Results 29,366 to 29,400 of 29432

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

Anything that messes with Dutton's limited intellect is okay by me.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

The LibNats have given themselves a rod for their own backs. Not surprising though, considering who they had still in a seat and their political leanings.
    I do not think a Dutton led party is electable, that decision alone gives a guaranteed 2nd term to an alternative, which well may be another, more informal, coalition with Labour/and another grouping. Not necessarily the Greens, who may if Labour is succeeding, go further left.

Interesting results of the Pandemic seems to be a lack of available workers from city coffee shops to the ski fields, mostly because of lack of accommodation. A few years ago Brazillia had the same problem, when they built the city there was no allowance for housing act an affordable rate for the police, nurses, maintenance workers, Tradesmen and garbagemen that keeps such a place running. Much less the retail and hospitality staff that make a city live. A ski field does not exist without many quite lowly paid staff who sacrifice wages for the opportunity to learn to ski. That's how I began my 55 year love affair with the recreation/sport. Todays cheap staff member is tomorrows family spending a deal of money in ski businesses. Same applies for other business, the consequences of the hollowing out of cities.
    And then there's the poor, costed out of their sometimes long term rental accomodation. Will we end up looking like this too?
    Last edited by skuthorp; 06-12-2022 at 04:34 AM.

I note the SA premier has announced the development of a STATE OWNED solar powered Hydrogen industry. They'd better get the paperwork right or the firse Lib government will sell it to a party donator.

Q&A
    Zoe Daniel is going to be some MP I reckon. Sharp and across her game, and not constrained by party nonsens and factionalism.

I am amused, and not a little disturbed.
    An activist group, disruptive but seemingly peaceful, in NSW was under observation by police when they were sprung, abused no doubt, their tyres let down and possibly jostled. They called for back up, at 'fear for their lives'. I wonder if they had been disarmed? So then we have a full scale raid.
    This affair needs to be very closely watched, coppers do not like their authority being challenged or their feelings being hurt, or being made to look foolish..

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I am amused, and not a little disturbed.
    An activist group, disruptive but seemingly peaceful, in NSW was under observation by police when they were sprung, abused no doubt, their tyres let down and possibly jostled. They called for back up, at 'fear for their lives'. I wonder if they had been disarmed? So then we have a full scale raid.
    This affair needs to be very closely watched, coppers do not like their authority being challenged or their feelings being hurt, or being made to look foolish..
    I saw that...very strange.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned

We sprung an ASIO plant in the 1960's at an ALP branch meeting (the local MP recognised him and tipped us off). Laughed him out of the room.

BTW, dumped insiders this morning. Way too much Voldermort for my stomach.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 06-19-2022 at 05:12 AM.

UAP secures a Victorian senate seat, on 0.1% of the vote………...

We sprung an ASIO plant in the 1960's at an ALP branch meeting (the local MP recognised him and tipped us off). Laughed him out of the room.

BTW, dumped insiders this morning. Way too much Voldermort for my stomach.
    Many people on twitter seem to be of the opinion that David Speers is not a journalist in the tradition of ABC journalists endeavouring to be impartial but is rather of a consistent politically right persuasion, putting forward a normalising of lib/nat talking points and generally letting conservative politicians have an unchallenged interview while at the same time challenging and confronting Labour politicians in interview and openly disagreeing with Labour talking points. He was formally a Murdoch Sky Journalist before joining the ABC.
    Also on twitter there is much anger expressed at the amount of airtime and consideration given to the Lib/Nat's in opposition by main stream media generally and that there was an absence of holding the Lib/Nats to account and now Labour is in Govt, all of a sudden media holding the Govt to account is back in action.

One thing i think of is some of this twitter angst is definitely amplified by confirmation bias while at the same time it seems a factual observation, especially the Murdoch media but also Ch9 and even now, numerous presenters from the ABC.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Murdoch has been trying to get LibNat governments to sell the ABC…….. to him……for years. But those governments knew that their own demographic was one of the most enthusiastic supporters of the ABC. Don't forget that regional news and programmes on commercial TV have nearly all been shut down by NL. and their staff dispersed. Replaced by a potted city based bulletin repeated through the day.

………. and jobs for the boys……….. and ex polies……
    Barilarlo being parachuted in as trade commissioner over an already selected woman candidate……………..

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...een-offered-it

………. and jobs for the boys……….. and ex polies……
    Barilarlo being parachuted in as trade commissioner over an already selected woman candidate……………..

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...een-offered-it
    I read that one is going before a parliamentary enquire of some sort.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Here we go......some further details on Barilarlo:

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/...19-p5auvd.html

Barilaro was appointed as the $500,000-a-year-senior trade and investment commissioner to the Americas late on Friday, in a move that has infuriated Perrottet’s colleagues, including ministers.......

The position, which did not go to cabinet, was created by Barilaro when he was trade minister......

Several ministers have confirmed to the Herald that the position was not considered by cabinet, with two insisting that had it been presented to ministers, they would have blocked the appointment.

Backbenchers are also furious at the move, with one describing it as “appointments for mates”.

Bruce Cockburn

Maybe his posting will be changed to long bay………. He probably approved his own appointment whilst still the minister as well……….

......as I have said before.....wait there is more!

Friendly Jordies has accused Barilaro of corruption and due to Australia's deformation law being used to shut down investigative journalism expose the video has been pulled from youtube. It seems where there's smoke there's fire as Michael West Media is continuing where FriendlyJordies left off ( or was shut down )

A Barilaro Affair: how the Barilaros ended up with the Clubhouse when the Club went under - Michael West

A snipped from the article to give you the drift:

A Barilaro Affair: how the Barilaros ended up with the Clubhouse when the Club went under

...........Dom and John Barilaro joined the club in the early 1990s. The intrigue behind the club’s closure can be dated back to March 1994 when, with Domenico as a director, the Marco Polo Club took out a $621,000 mortgage with NAB as records from the NSW Land Registry Office show. The mortgage documents don’t show a reason for the borrowing.
    Within two years, half of this loan had been repaid. The club was again thriving, especially thanks to the roughly $700,000 worth of pokie machines the club owned, which provided a significant income stream.
    However, around the same time, documents show that in January 1996, the remainder of the mortgage with NAB (some $300,000) was discharged. Documents obtained by Michael West Media show that just before the mortgage was repaid in full, the Marco Polo club was transferred to a newly created company called Monaro Properties Pty Ltd. One of its founding directors was Domenico Barilaro; John Barilaro was its secretary at one stage; and as of 7 December 1995, the Barilaro family held shares in Monaro Properties.
    It appears that Domenico Barilaro, the director of both Marco Polo Social Club and Monaro Properties (along with other club directors), had sold the Marco Polo clubhouse to his company for $300,000..........

Rent started being charged

Once Monaro Properties owned the clubhouse, it started charging the membership rent. It is unknown what the rent initially was when Monaro Properties took over the club in 1996, but in a three-year period between 2000-2003, the rent increased 60%; from $45,000 pa to $72,000 pa.
    The club started experiencing financial difficulties soon after Monaro Properties took ownership. This was despite the club having an operating revenue of about $300,000 in 2000 and operating revenue of $376,529 in 2001.
    By 2003, the club’s debt had ballooned to $370,000. The directors of the Marco Polo Social Club cited this debt as one of the reasons for the need to wind up the club.
    In May 2003, John Barilaro signed an affidavit in the ACT Supreme Court stating that the club was “not in a position to continue to meet its ongoing financial commitments” and resigned his directorship. He cited the club’s financial difficulties were due to “low membership numbers, low number of poker machines, difficulties in relation to the catering contract, and low patronage”.

Premiered Nov 25, 2020

Last edited by Hallam; 06-21-2022 at 11:23 PM.

Bruce Cockburn

^ Thanks, that can form the basis for my next music/arts grant application!

Bruce Cockburn

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Hallam, thanks for those bailaro stories. I hadn't pick up on any of that.
    Gary, thats a very precise number - someone did a very detailed cost analysis. That level of detail we simply must press go.

Like fuel prices is a new thing.
    5 years old. Oh man - so fresh and still so relevant.

It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Interesting results of the Pandemic seems to be a lack of available workers from city coffee shops to the ski fields, mostly because of lack of accommodation. A few years ago Brazillia had the same problem, when they built the city there was no allowance for housing act an affordable rate for the police, nurses, maintenance workers, Tradesmen and garbagemen that keeps such a place running.......
    I understand London suffers there too and there's no obvious way out - its completely built on.
    But thats big cities for ya.

My next door neighbour M is 80+ and can drive locally but her eye sight is fading. Her house is very small. Our town is 5,000 souls.
    M's daughter lives locally - with M's grand daughter who M loves dearly. Last of the family close enough for M to go visit whenever. Everyone else she has to wait for them to come to her.

Rent went up.
    No place in the town daughter can afford. Closest is maybe 80kms away - south Wollongong.
    M is looking down the barrel of no familly close by for the first time in 80+ years. She's very upset and very worried.
    Kid, ripped out of school and away from friends.

Makes one very angry.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Hallam, thanks for those bailaro stories. I hadn't pick up on any of that.
    Gary, thats a very precise number - someone did a very detailed cost analysis. That level of detail we simply must press go.

Like fuel prices is a new thing.
    5 years old. Oh man - so fresh and still so relevant.

When Clarke died, every flag in the country should have been at half mast.

Major changes in the Victorian Labour government.
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-...oley/101178232

Oh boy!
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-...mail/101178272

Greens MLC Cate Faehrmann, who chairs the committee which will be inquiring into Mr Barilaro's appointment, said there were serious questions to be answered.
    "This looks like there was an intervention from the top to deal with a political problem. And that was John Barilaro," she said.
    "What we need to know now, though, is who within the current government knew what — what did the Premier know and what did the Treasurer know?"
    That committee will meet tonight to decide on terms of reference and hearings, but could call witnesses as early as next week.

The shredders wil be working overtime, and Sydney Harbour will suddenly be full of mobile phones……….

Q&A
    Suburban Werribee out west of Melbourne. Interesting that there seems no memory of history here, nothing happening is new. It all happened before in Sunshine in the late 50's early 60's.
    I note Ms McKenzie prominent, I wonder if Labour's Corruption Commission will be examining the Sports Rorts affair?

It's just the way we do things in Australia's most corrupt state

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-...uiry/101192340
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

……..ever since the NSW corps, McArthur and the Rum Rebellion.
    Hasn't changed much at all really………………….

Enter Barilaro………………..
    Last edited by skuthorp; 06-29-2022 at 05:36 AM.

Anyone else dislike Gruen? I find Howcroft completely dislikable, the others with little signs of ethics, and it says a whole lot about the industry, the people who work in it, and the gullibility of their audiences.

I seem to habitually give him a miss whenever he appears on my TV screen........

Bruce Cockburn

I use to watch it. They did a superb NZ tourism ad showing lots of Australian wide open spaces. So many places to bury a body, visit NZ.

Relevant here….
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...r-power-plants

I was thinking of the previous admin's efforts at a Nuke waste storage facility.

We can just send our waste to Christmas Is, Nauru and Manus. The Poms can send theirs to Rwanda, or Wales.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

In relation to our possibly coming nuke subs.
    look at the beginning of this in regard to training facilities and the support staff necessary to train a crew.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPr7Yrwgly4&t=225s

So we are upping the ante here, we're going from a defensive sub force to a potentially offensive role.

Dutton's dream, possibly he just likes uniforms… But his career in the police was better than good I think,
    Look it up.

What the heck is going on in NSW? A developing police state?
    Armed and camoflaged cops in camp surveilling a peaceful unarmed camp and when sprung claim the feared for their lives and charged the camp with 'intimidating police'! I know who was intimidated and who had the guns! The police, and the politicians who rubber stamped this were sprung in behaviour more suited to authoritarian regimes, and embarrased, and haven't they learned anything from the last fed election? I do hope that the police involved realise what they are now part of and that they were used to the detriment of policing throughout the state. But judging by the behaviour of those who got very rough after a call for help from two in no actual danger, and the ravings on TV of their equally embarrased superior not likely. A very black day for the NSW police, one of a long line dating back to the founding of the colony.