Thread: Oak Harbor, Washington. Make sure you are packin' heat when you go to dinner.

Default Oak Harbor, Washington. Make sure you are packin' heat when you go to dinner.

OAK HARBOR, Wash. — An 80-year-old woman is recovering after she was accidentally shot while eating at an upscale Western Washington restaurant.
    The accidental shooter – a 57-year-old man – was arrested for suspicion of reckless endangerment Friday in Oak Harbor. Police said his concealed carry pistol inadvertently went off and hit the woman.
    Police received calls of the shooting at Fraser’s Gourmet Hideaway during the dinner hour, Oak Harbor Police Chief Kevin Dresker said.
    According to police, the man was eating his meal when he spotted a friend across the restaurant. The man – who is a licensed concealed carry holder – took out a pistol from a holster and set it on the chair next to him. He covered it with a napkin.
    The man said hi to his friend and returned to his table when the gun went off.
    The man quickly announced to the restaurant what happened and asked if everyone was alright. Everyone said they were, police said, until an 80-year-old woman seated at a nearby table said her back ached. Friends looked at her back and found a bullet had entered through her shoulder and passed out her chest.
    The woman was taken to a nearby hospital and later moved to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. The bullet didn’t hit any sensitive organs and she has been released.
    Police arrested the man for reckless endangerment and illegal discharge of a firearm. He was released from jail and charges are pending. He has no criminal history, police said.
    Police are not sure why the gun went off, and it was almost certainly accidental. Possible criminal charges are pending.
    This story was first reported by the Whidbey News-Times.
    Carpe Librum!

Default Re: Oak Harbor, Washington. Make sure you are packin' heat when you go to dinner.

Zero gubs= zero gun incidents. Do the math.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

Default Re: Oak Harbor, Washington. Make sure you are packin' heat when you go to dinner.

why do these idiots carry with a round in the chamber?
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Training, training, training. If you're going to carry, know what the heck you're doing. Why the heck did the guy take the gun out and put the gun on the chair? The holster is a very important safety device, as it protects the trigger, which is critically important with all handguns without a manual safety and carried with a loaded chamber.

Christ almighty, why do we just go to the zoo and give a bunch of razor blades to monkeys. We’d get the same result we’re getting from conceal carry.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

In other words, a complete failure to respect basic gun safety practices, a complete failure in basic gun handling skills, and a failure to get adequate equipment.
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by TerryLL View Post
    Exactly
    The process for obtaining permits should be more rigorous. The consequences of mishandling a weapon should be more stringent. At present... it's a bit of a joke.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

There are upscale restaurants in Oak Harbor?
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    It's relative, yanno. What's upscale in Ballard is not the same 'upscale' in Hollywood, eh?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    The process for obtaining permits should be more rigorous. The consequences of mishandling a weapon should be more stringent. At present... it's a bit of a joke.
    Nah, it's not a joke, it's a tragedy. In Idaho, no permit is required for open or concealed carry, no training required, no competency test, no mental eval. If you live in this state, assume everyone you meet is carrying, and also assume they are without training of any kind. I felt much safer living in bear country in Alaska. Bears are a lot more predictable than humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    The man quickly announced to the restaurant what happened and asked if everyone was alright.
    hey everybody

<ting ting ting knife on wine glass>

sorry folks, in case you were wondering i just accidentally popped a cap into the ass of that old lady over there
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Nah, it's not a joke, it's a tragedy. In Idaho, no permit is required for open or concealed carry, no training required, no competency test, no mental eval. If you live in this state, assume everyone you meet is carrying, and also assume they are without training of any kind. I felt much safer living in bear country in Alaska. Bears are a lot more predictable than humans.
    Yes. That too, for sure.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

OAK HARBOR, Wash. — An 80-year-old woman is recovering after she was accidentally shot while eating at an upscale Western Washington restaurant.
    The accidental shooter – a 57-year-old man – was arrested for suspicion of reckless endangerment Friday in Oak Harbor. Police said his concealed carry pistol inadvertently went off and hit the woman.
    Police received calls of the shooting at Fraser’s Gourmet Hideaway during the dinner hour, Oak Harbor Police Chief Kevin Dresker said.
    According to police, the man was eating his meal when he spotted a friend across the restaurant. The man – who is a licensed concealed carry holder – took out a pistol from a holster and set it on the chair next to him. He covered it with a napkin.
    The man said hi to his friend and returned to his table when the gun went off.
    The man quickly announced to the restaurant what happened and asked if everyone was alright. Everyone said they were, police said, until an 80-year-old woman seated at a nearby table said her back ached. Friends looked at her back and found a bullet had entered through her shoulder and passed out her chest.
    The woman was taken to a nearby hospital and later moved to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. The bullet didn’t hit any sensitive organs and she has been released.
    Police arrested the man for reckless endangerment and illegal discharge of a firearm. He was released from jail and charges are pending. He has no criminal history, police said.
    Police are not sure why the gun went off, and it was almost certainly accidental. Possible criminal charges are pending.
    This story was first reported by the Whidbey News-Times.

Carrying a firearm in a licensed house in Washington state is a crime in and of itself. Good for up to a year in state prison.

Doesn't matter whether you have a concealed carry permit or not.

Pretty much any restaurant that serves wine, beer or liquor, is a licensed house.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

How stupid would you have to be?

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland
    Because it is their gawd-given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y
    How stupid would you have to be?
    Also gawd-given, the poor dears.
    "Trump's authoritarianism is a feature, not a bug." -- Sky Blue

"Don't worry you will have a second chance to vote for Trump and be able to raise your heads high again. But no third chances unless the loophole is acted upon and Trump runs again in 2024." -- Soo-Valley

If you need to take a test to prove you can handle a vehicle safely, why wouldn't you need the same to handle a weapon? While a vehicle can kill if used incorrectly, it's not designed to. A weapon on the other hand, is designed to do one thing and one thing only.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    hey everybody

<ting ting ting knife on wine glass>

sorry folks, in case you were wondering i just accidentally popped a cap into the ass of that old lady over there
    I saw my friend across the restaurant and figured, I better put my gun on the chair here, because I wouldn't want him to get hurt. The rest of you can F off and die. Wait, I'll put a napkin on it in case the odd Islamic terrorist should walk by and see the opportunity.
    Trust me to defend the Constitution just as soon as I'm sure you're going to vote for me again.

Why do these idiots carry in the first place? They're too dumb to care about a round in the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post

It’s Her home town. Been to a couple of Her high school reunions. That was my first thought as well Lew.

^Navy town so the beans are probably OK. I have a story about straying too far south (out of the marked channel) on the way out of the marina. I'm not telling it here....ever!
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

^Navy town so the beans are probably OK. I have a story about straying too far south (out of the marked channel) on the way out of the marina. I'm not telling it here....ever!
    You don't have to tell it. I know a guy who says he has video. We're just negotiating the price now... <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Maine has the same laws. Idaho and Maine are some of the safest states in the country.....

I came out of there in a light fog one morning, no problem says I, I’ll just hug the shore right down Saratoga Passage. I forgot about Penn Cove.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagler View Post
    Maine has the same laws. Idaho and Maine are some of the safest states in the country.....
    Hmmm, whadaya know.
    20200119_213121.jpg
    Carpe Librum!

You don't have to tell it. I know a guy who says he has video. We're just negotiating the price now... <G>
    Don't pay too much!

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    I came out of there in a light fog one morning, no problem says I, I’ll just hug the shore right down Saratoga Passage. I forgot about Penn Cove.
    Easy to do. The first time (and only time!) I strayed out of the channel I saw "0" flash on the sounder. I didn't ground her but I backed out of there like a man in a minefield. The channel itself is none too deep at low tide. A deep draught boat always has to be careful there if I recall correctly. It's been a long time since I've taken a boat in there and even so I don't think we went in there more than twice........no upscale restaurants.
    Last edited by Lew Barrett; 01-20-2020 at 12:17 PM.

And.... we've come full-circle...
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    Carrying a firearm in a licensed house in Washington state is a crime in and of itself. Good for up to a year in state prison.

Doesn't matter whether you have a concealed carry permit or not.

Pretty much any restaurant that serves wine, beer or liquor, is a licensed house.
    I believe that is only true in the portion of the establishment that is age-restricted. So you can sit in the restaurant with a gun but not the bar.

Hmmm, whadaya know.
    20200119_213121.jpg
    Shouldn't that include accidental deaths?

Quote Originally Posted by Beagler View Post
    looks like Massachusetts too. Maybe something else is going on in Idaho and Maine that’s common to Massachusetts...
    __________________________________________________ ________________________