Page 1 of 18 1211 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire warning

Default Fire warning

The fire warning has been elevated to "Catastrophic" here in the Shoalhaven valley.

This is the highest level of warning available to the authorities.

All schools are closed so that children will be with their parents, just in case. We will be looking after Matari tomorrow.

Chit's getting real, we have had no rain worth talking about for 6 months so we are dry.

The weather forcast is for 34C with high winds, so all we need is some mutt to throw a smoke out of a car or decide they can light a Barbie or something similar and bang we are away.

I cannot help at all due to health, they don't like heart patients to be up the line, so, I can only watch and pray.

I'll let you know how we get on, this is not my first dance and I know how to act.

Default Re: Fire warning

Stay safe Barney. Hopefully the high level of warnings will have some positive effects. The pictures on TV look truly horrific.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

Leave early.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Carpe Librum!

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Thats scary. I hope you have somewhere to go.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

We can but hope.

I just read a news story where the head of firefighting said that equipment they needed sooner was late coming from the North because their wildfire season's are lasting longer and the fire seasons of the North and South are now overlapping. Lots of blame being heaped on the government for not taking climate change seriously.

Stay Safe. Have you got your bug out bag sorted?

It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Be safe.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Stay Safe. Have you got your bug out bag sorted?
    What Peerie Man said.

Also get those items that cannot be replaced e.g. photo albums.
    I live and drink rum where other people vacation.

It's 0210, I can't sleep. The bug out bag is ready, I have had to set in place a method of moving Sue fast if the need arises, no speed or real mobility.

We will have the transistor radio on and we will obey the fire authorites instantly. They don't make these type of anouncements unless it is all about to go pear-shaped.

I have served in the local brigades and I have much confidence that they will prevail.

I live well inside the town limits and if my house comes under danger things will be so bad that nothing will really matter anymore.

A stressful day ahead.

wishing the best outcome

Quote Originally Posted by AussieBarney View Post
    It's 0210, I can't sleep. The bug out bag is ready, I have had to set in place a method of moving Sue fast if the need arises, no speed or real mobility.

We will have the transistor radio on and we will obey the fire authorites instantly. They don't make these type of anouncements unless it is all about to go pear-shaped.

I have served in the local brigades and I have much confidence that they will prevail.

I live well inside the town limits and if my house comes under danger things will be so bad that nothing will really matter anymore.

A stressful day ahead.
    Don't wait. If the time is right and the call comes, get out.

Be safe, mate - best to you, family and friends.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Damn. your fires are really bad. Move to get away from the smoke as soon as possible. Try to go upwind as respiratory issues can trigger all kinds of other problems and deep concerns. Be safe and take care.

Take care Barney
    Kia Kaha

Thinking of you both, and all those under threat this morning.

A little someting I hope will make you smile.

Matari came over this morning and he had his "Bug-out bag" with him, things of great importance.

He has his teddy bear, his favourite pyjamas, some Leggo, some model cars, but, the spinout is:

His most precious possesion is a twelve inch globe and he is able to put his finger on just any country you ask for.

His spatial awareness is very good.

Different things for different seasons.

Sweet Jesus. Thinking of you and yours, Barney.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/barnaby-...fWriw1-rPty2m0

[QUOTE]Nationals MP Barnaby Joyce has suggested two people who died in the NSW bushfires "most likely" voted for the Greens as he blamed the minor party for increasing the threat of bushfires.Mr Joyce made the comment on Sky News on Tuesday as he doubled-down on his claims that the fire service had conducted insufficient hazard reduction burns as a result of Greens opposition.
    "I acknowledge that the two people who died were most likely people who voted for the Green party, so I am not going to start attacking them. That's the last thing I want to do.[/QUOTE]

What a low life.
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

Nats seem to be taking the lowroad about this, anything not to talk about climate change. Of course talk to a farmer and they know it has changed, and how long it's been going on. The conservatives would seem to have backed the wrong horse, but they were the ones re-elected by likely the same people.

All the best Barney, stay safe and I hope it all stays a long way from you.

It’s a very worrying time with a lot of heartbreaking stories coming out hour by hour, 'had a guy on a blacksmith group that I look in on tell us he’d be off line for a bit because he was being evacuated on Friday and on Saturday we learned that he’d lost everything - home, livelihood the lot. Very sad and distressing.

My mum was also evacuated on Friday up at Tewantin but happily that turned out much better.

meanwhile I simply don’t understand why you guys need to introduce politics into this at a time like this........
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

No fires close in my neck of the woods, but hot, screaming wind and visibility down to a few hundred yards due to the red dust rolling in from the west. Spent several hours on the bike at work- wonderful experience. When riding into the wind this afternoon I literally couldn't hear the bike- just the wind in the helmet. Picked up the wifes new pup on the way home- six weeks old and the little girls first night away from mum and the litter- could be a long one JayInOz

Stay safe one and all.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

Our bags are packed.

All I can say again, is leave early. Stay safe. The footage on TV this evening looked horrendous. Sheets of iron blowing every which way. Zero visibility. You don't want to be evacuating when that's on top of you, or between you and safety. If your bags are packed the best time to leave is now. Around here a lot of people leave any time there's a catastrophic day called. Even if there's no fire. That's the best strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Our bags are packed.
    Sounds like a southerly change will hit your way sometime before sunrise Gary, which from here looks just awful for you with that mess south of you.

Stay safe mate and, as Phil says, don’t dick around waiting if you’re packed and ready to go - but wishing you both all the very best of luck and 'will be thinking of you and your wee home in the hills
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Glued to the screens here.

A few pics from Facebook to give OS readers an idea

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

Go Gary, go now. your road out is narrow and choices you have now you may not have by morning. Go before it get's crowded.

I feel a great deal for you, our place is just a commercial kit, yours is a life's work. But go.

Hallam's two middle pictures in his post #29 sorta look like The End Of Times. Be safe, everybody...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Our warning has been downgraded to "Very high", this means we watch and wait and the wind has died down from a blusterly gale.

Still terrified, I have Sue to look after and she is very slow and if we have to bug out, it will be in a wheelchair. I can't be proactive. The entire state is on alert. Nowhere to run.

Morteon National park is to the west of us, half a million acres of scrub, valleys and escarpments. if it lights the next place we fight is on the edge of town, and if that happens, it's all hands on deck. regardless of health status.

I think we have dodged the bullet, but we will see

This is not the first time I have faced this and I know what is likely to happen.

I am still at high stag and

I don't mind admitting I am very scared.

Thanks for the update Barney. A lot of us on this side of the world are thinking about you guys. I'd send you some snow and freezing rain if I could.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Go Gary, go now. your road out is narrow and choices you have now you may not have by morning. Go before it get's crowded.

I feel a great deal for you, our place is just a commercial kit, yours is a life's work. But go.
    We're not taking any chances, when we see anything resembling a column of smoke we are gone.
    This is still 12km away.
    76644669_10157445348330792_851181373250076672_n.jpg
    We are some distance off the photo in the foreground.

Mate when you can see a column of smoke it's way too late to leave. Find a safe spot to bunker down if there is one at that stage. Leaving then is suicide. And puts others at risk. Seriously, I saw on another thread you are up on the roof cleaning out leaves. Now? And thinking about maybe clearing a buffer around the house? I'm honestly speechless.