Thread: Why do Veterans have a hard time finding jobs post Military Service?

Default Why do Veterans have a hard time finding jobs post Military Service?

Easy. What percentage of so-called HR Professionals ever served in a branch of the military? Probably like way less than 1%. That might be a good thing, almost. Fighting troops are trained killers, and one needs a strong desire to do his or her job better than his or her enemy.

Default Re: Why do Veterans have a hard time finding jobs post Military Service?

PTSD could be a strong factor.

Default Re: Why do Veterans have a hard time finding jobs post Military Service?

I hire veterans.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I would like to know what the OP assumption is based on.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/p..._source=clavis
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Like anything, veteran experience has pluses and minuses. Mostly pluses in terms of applicable skills and education, working with others, discipline, determination, problem solving, tenacity, maturity, etc. Sometimes, not always, minuses if military indoctrination has suppressed their creativity in terms of always coloring inside the lines, not thinking outside the box, being open to cultures other than their own, not questioning authority when it should be questioned, etc. But that is often the case with many non-veterans as well. So I don't pre-judge. I try to ask questions, the same exact questions, of any applicant, to determine all of the above.

PTSD in progress is definitely a problem, requiring treatment, like any other illness.

While I would never wish it upon anyone, experience and recovery from PTSD can be a plus, in terms of improved empathy for others and early spotting of emotional problems requiring treatment. Just my opinion.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

The OP is based on several recent intenet articles concerning the difficulties veterans face getting post-service employment. Google is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post
    I would like to know what the OP assumption is based on.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/p..._source=clavis

Some of it may have to do with ‘career military’ veterans, getting out after twenty or thirty years and then looking for work in the private sector. If you’re fifty years old or older finding work can be difficult.

A huge factor is what you did in the military. An Xray technician in the base hospital is going to have a much easier time than a rifleman.

I went to a civil service job interview in uniform and was hired in the early 90's but I also had a masters degree in computer science which was a big deal back then.

Brian can fix a helicopter and I'm pretty sure there is a high demand for those skills.
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

I see lots of press about unemployed vets, homeless vets, destitute vets. I'm not sure what to make of it. Is it due to the fact that they were vets, or due to some other factor, like a lack of marketable skills.

A SAW gunner in an infantry platoon probably has few transferrable skills to private employment.

For myself, with extensive pre-service training in electronics, and then four years in-service additional experience, I landed a cushy job with a major electronics firm in Seattle, with other job offers in the wings. Being a vet was a plus, but having a marketable skill got me hired.

one of my high school sweethearts went into the navy. Academy class of 93. She got out after 20+ years and just got a job with an airline
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

The few family members and kids of friends I have in the military would have had a hard time finding a job BEFORE military service.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    I hire veterans.
    I hire veterans, currently I have two.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

I'll bet their MOS'a weren't Hair Stylist or Guard Dog Handler, neither.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    I hire veterans, currently I have two.

Shortly after the end of Vietnam in the mid 70s there was an extensive Reduction in Force in the Army. Many of my contemporaries who were planning on an Army career were forced out of the service. A few with extraordinary efficiency reports or significant decorations were allowed to take a rank and pay cut, going from Commissioned Officers to Warrant Officers. The ones who were forced out went through a program called "Project Transition". The joke was it was to train them not say F*** in every sentence but in actuality it was quite productive and placed them with many companies and started numerous successful careers. If the program had anything to do with their success is unknown - these were smart, motivated, trainable people who would likely have done well on their own but the contacts provided during the program were certainly helpful.

When I flew commercially in the Gulf of Mexico there was one pilot in the company who wasn't a VN vet. I spent more time coaching and training that guy than I ever thought possible and he was still barely competent. I'm surprised he got hired and I'm sure he would have never made it through Army flight school. Needless to say VN vets were in great demand because of our vast experience.

When I hung up my wings and changed careers, I had finished my degrees and was well qualified for my new career in finance but was surprised to learn that there was (at the time '83) a government sponsored bonus to companies for hiring VN vets. I had three job offers from the four places I had applied to. Shortly after I started, my boss (a self-confessed genuine asshole) said he didn't think military guys were very good employees.

"You guys have no initiative. You're always goofing off, waiting for someone to tell you what to do."

My comeback - "You say that with a great deal of conviction. You must have had some bad experience along the way?"

End of conversation.

Y'know, it takes what, five personnel to field one front line soldier? Or is it more than that? I'd not be surprised at all if it were.
    Many of those people have skills that are in high demand in Civilian life, Management, Logistics, Supply, Infrastructure, Engineering. Construction. Maintenance. all good skills.
    Whether with a uniform on, a suit or jeans and tee shirt, the skills are the same and transferable. I'd have thought that employers would be looking for those people.

John Welsford,
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

John, I suspect many of those 5 personnel behind the lines are now civilian contractors. I believe it is one of the reasons for the apparent increase in PTSD in the armed forces: A much larger proportion are at the pointy end, killing and being shot at.

I had real difficulty finding a position directing air strikes and med-evac chopers, so I went back to school.
    PaulF

Quote Originally Posted by robm View Post
    John, I suspect many of those 5 personnel behind the lines are now civilian contractors. I believe it is one of the reasons for the apparent increase in PTSD in the armed forces: A much larger proportion are at the pointy end, killing and being shot at.
    I guess you're right, I'm much more familiar with our own military than yours.
    People making a profit from military action is pretty foreign to us.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    I'll bet their MOS'a weren't Hair Stylist or Guard Dog Handler, neither.
    One of the girls that works for me was a dog handler in the military; then for Dept of Homeland Security.