Page 800 of 845 FirstFirst ... 300700750790799800801810 ... LastLast
Results 27,966 to 28,000 of 29567

Thread: Oz Politics.

Better than the alternative.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Default Re: Oz Politics.

It's bizarre watching the police here and in the US. Don't laws apply to them too? Because it sure looks like they don't.
    that kid might have been a smart mouth but he was only a child. What's with pepper spraying all those people in central?
    Bad day!? What an excuse for assaulting a child. Man I get bad days, and my 10yo is bloody skilled at winding me up, but I wonder how the law would view it if I smashed his face?
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Hmm, from another thread…..
    Early warning signs of Fascism.

Taken from the US holocaust museum:

-Powerful and Continuing Nationalism
    -Disdain for Human Rights
    -Identification of Enemies as an Underlying Cause
    -Supremacy of the Military
    -Controlled Mass Media
    -Religion and Government Intertwined
    -Corporate Power Protected
    -Labor Union Suppressed
    -Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts
    -Obsession with Crime and Punishment
    -Rampant Cronyism and Corruption
    -Fraudulent Elections

Interesting, if to a lesser degree.

^to a greater or lesser degree that describes the USA since Regan, at least.

Kind of makes an attractive meme, and is probably valid in relation to Trump. But in Oz? I think there are some individual far right pollies with fascist tendencies, but even they would eschew the sorts of policy espoused by Hitler. It's probably like autism. There's a spectrum and almost everyone is on it if you try hard enough.

Agreed, Phil but there has been a consistent push by the hard right within the Libs since the Howard years with respect to these from the above list:

-Controlled Mass Media -Murdoch press, Bolt and the usual suspects together with the anti ABC brigade.

-Religion and Government Intertwined - { Australian Christian Lobby - Opus Dei Catholics
    -Labor Union Suppressed

along with this are the moves to pass security / secrecy legislation that prosecutes whistleblowers etc

the appointment of partisan High Court Judges is beginning to be an issue here

.......so there is a drift in that direction that might well be left unchecked and the reality is any weakening in the checks and balances on centralised power make for vulnerabilities that can and in the right set of circumstances will be exploited by fascists who has positioned themselves to be in the right place at that time.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

For an Australian Aboriginal perspective “It’s not racism that is killing our people, it is the actions of our own people”.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFoI...ature=youtu.be

Yep, thank goodness we've been around to save them from themselves.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Agreed, Phil but there has been a consistent push by the hard right within the Libs since the Howard years with respect to these from the above list:

-Controlled Mass Media -Murdoch press, Bolt and the usual suspects together with the anti ABC brigade.

-Religion and Government Intertwined - { Australian Christian Lobby - Opus Dei Catholics
    -Labor Union Suppressed

along with this are the moves to pass security / secrecy legislation that prosecutes whistleblowers etc

the appointment of partisan High Court Judges is beginning to be an issue here

.......so there is a drift in that direction that might well be left unchecked and the reality is any weakening in the checks and balances on centralised power make for vulnerabilities that can and in the right set of circumstances will be exploited by fascists who has positioned themselves to be in the right place at that time.
    Yep.
    Rick

Yep, thank goodness we've been around to save them from themselves.
    So the message in the statement;
    “It’s not racism that is killing our people, it is the actions of our own people”.
    from a elected representative of the community is somehow other people's fault?

This is one of the problems.

No one will take responsibility for their own present day actions.
    Until this is acknowledged, there is no hope of anyone helping.

Australian manufacturing is now less than 6% of GDP which is similar to Samoa. I'm so proud to live in such a resourceful nation and not one of those banana republics that just digs stuff up ......
    Rick

And Tony, who saw off the car, and consequently heavy industry because he didn't like unionised workplaces, gets the top award, thereby degrading the whole award structure. And don't give me any crap about lifesaving once every 6 weeks and firefighting. He's done far more damage over the decades than he can ever compensate for.

The QB honours list reads like a chamber of horrors! Langton ought to be too embarrassed to be listed with that lot. What a stupid tradition it is anyway.
    Rick

The awards are a joke. Anyone for a helicopter ride?

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    And Tony, who saw off the car, and consequently heavy industry because he didn't like unionised workplaces, gets the top award, thereby degrading the whole award structure. And don't give me any crap about lifesaving once every 6 weeks and firefighting. He's done far more damage over the decades than he can ever compensate for.
    The Romanian solution would be more appropriate.
    without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Australian manufacturing is now less than 6% of GDP which is similar to Samoa. I'm so proud to live in such a resourceful nation and not one of those banana republics that just digs stuff up ......
    That's appalling. 6% . Really?

Actually just under 6%. Yes, really. Beyond appalling.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    The Romanian solution would be more appropriate.
    Actually I reckon the Russians and the French win the prize for action against royalists. What did the Romanians do?
    Rick

During my working life I worked for the company (Australian owned) that was part of the development team ( all Australian) that in the early 1980's developed and commissioned the worlds firsy digital air traffic control system for the RAAF. It was stated by the USAF that it was not possible. But after the 5 years user trials in Australia the USAF conceeded that we had successfully put the very first digital air traffic control system into operation. This system now used all over the globe is manufactured by Hughs in the USA. Australian Governments and the members of the Parliament have little or no knowledge of the flow on effects of reserch and development in either the government or the private area has on the wider community or the conference of the Australian workforce. The only politician that I have met how understood this completely was Greg Combey but unfortunately he has left the Parliament.

Bruce

Combet was famous for swearing a lot. If I'd been him, I'd have sworn a lot too. I find I swear a lot now, anyway. I don't think it's age. I think it's the plague of FWITs.
    Rick

…….and guess who cut the CSIRO funding in 2014 and truncated the research into Corona viruses? Tony.
    And guess who will again once the panic is passed? The LibNats again, or they'll sell it off to the hightest bidder as before

Watch 4 corners.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 06-08-2020 at 07:01 AM.

25% of my children work in manufacturing. I’ve just been puzzling about whether there is any likelihood of the business he works for being identified as a manufacturer. I wouldn’t think so.

Actually I reckon the Russians and the French win the prize for action against royalists. What did the Romanians do?
    Took the ruling dictator and his wife outside, put them against a wall and shot them.

A Greens candidate who ran against Scott Morrison at the last election will today face court, accused of directing and watching the live abuse of a child in the Philippines online.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-...ences/12338828

Australian Federal Police (AFP) investigators searched Jonathan Doig's home at Gymea Bay in Sydney's south yesterday and seized a mobile phone, two laptops and a hard drive.
    He was arrested and charged with three child abuse offences, including procuring a child to engage in sexual activity outside Australia.
    Mr Doig, 57, ran for the Greens in the Prime Minister's seat of Cook in last year's federal election

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

OK well that's disgusting. But I'm not ready to say it reflects in any way on the Greens.

Nor me, however what I will reflect on is the apparent ubiquitous nature of the problem. When I was working at a welfare NGO in the early 90's we had a big brother big sister program for youth at risk where a psychological screening process was used to filter out possible pedophiles. I came to the attention of our psychologist in charge of the program that a pedo psychologist had studied the screening process and distributed a "how to pass" strategy to his fellow pedophiles. The program was shelved as too hard to implement without guaranteeing infiltration. Before that, when i worked for the Dep of Community Services in 86/87 in Vic we had an issue with some State wards who absconded headed straight to Flinders St Station and where offered 'help' and somewhere to stay. Ended up they where in this farm shed somewhere near Frankston. I don't know any other details except the help was offered by pedos. So its probably got worse since then.

Bruce Cockburn

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    OK well that's disgusting. But I'm not ready to say it reflects in any way on the Greens.

There's been at least two from the major parties who have been caught doing the rockspider.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Took the ruling dictator and his wife outside, put them against a wall and shot them.
    Seems hard on the wife!
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Nor me, however what I will reflect on is the apparent ubiquitous nature of the problem. When I was working at a welfare NGO in the early 90's we had a big brother big sister program for youth at risk where a psychological screening process was used to filter out possible pedophiles. I came to the attention of our psychologist in charge of the program that a pedo psychologist had studied the screening process and distributed a "how to pass" strategy to his fellow pedophiles. The program was shelved as too hard to implement without guaranteeing infiltration. Before that, when i worked for the Dep of Community Services in 86/87 in Vic we had an issue with some State wards who absconded headed straight to Flinders St Station and where offered 'help' and somewhere to stay. Ended up they where in this farm shed somewhere near Frankston. I don't know any other details except the help was offered by pedos. So its probably got worse since then.
    Wherever there are vulnerable children, there is a stronger likelihood that there will be paedophiles. That's why management of such environments must have systems in place that cause exposure of any action that could lead to abuse of children. It's actually very easy to establish such systems. Organisations that choose not to implement such systems, e.g., the Catholic Church, remain highly suspect and should not be permitted by law to forgo such measures. Management of any organisation or individual operating in countries that do not have a rigorous child protection regime in place is much more difficult but many NGOs, nevertheless, these days, go to great lengths to protect children. Some clearly don't do enough.

It goes without saying that The Greens and every other political party in Australia, I should think, would have no tolerance of anyone associated with child abuse in any form. Unfortunately, such people can infect any organisation.
    Rick

Seems hard on the wife!
    She was not a nice person.
    before the sentences were carried out, Elena Ceaușescu screamed, "You sons of bitches!"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trial_...escu#Execution

Obviously not. Imagine saying such a thing!
    Rick

Sems that Wyatt and the WA state government have approved the further destruction of around 40+ more ancient (30,000 years up to possibly 60,000) in the Hammersly range and the indigenous in the are are not even permitted to object by a 30 year old agreement (Section 18). On the Burra peninsula thousands of carvings have been destroyed by BHP.

The body that gives permission hs evidently never refused an application by the Mining Industry.

They know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

It's a form of ethnic cleansing.

This is why I hate the WA government. They are the worst in Australia. WA is run entirely by miners. NSW and Qld are also hopeless but at least NSW occasionally rejects a mining application.
    Rick

Its the ongoing colonisation of this country.
    People think its done and dusted - there's plenty more scope to deprive the first people of this land of their heritage and identity.