Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the attitudes toward the covid 19 pandemic in alabama are appalling

Default the attitudes toward the covid 19 pandemic in alabama are appalling

there is a small rural mom and mop gas station/ deli/ grocer near my home in alabama

it's the only store of any type in ten miles in any direction, opens at five, selling biscuits and breakfast sandwiches, and switches to fried chicken at lunch and sells to go pizzas in the evening

the kitchen, service area, and cashier counters share a common high counter that runs the entirety of one wall

it's a busy shop; i'd conservatively guess 2000 customers per day

i walked in at 8:00 this morning to buy some gas and diesel, five employees behind the counter, sixteen customers besides myself; i was the only one wearing a mask

i turned and sitting at a table in the common area of the store was the owner, doing the books, no mask; i shook my head and left without buying anything

i wanted to say something to the owner who i have known since i was a kid, but what good would it have done
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: the attitudes toward the covid 19 pandemic in alabama are appalling

You did the right thing. No sense in beating your head against the wall. Maybe you should have a couple of scotches and stop by BYOB. You'll feel better in the morning.

Meanwhile in Tuscaloosa:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/alabama-st...ry?id=71552514

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like Idaho.
    I drove 30 miles over to Washington this morning to do grocery shopping. Everyone there is masked up, keeping a decent social distance. Cross back into Idaho and there is not a mask to be seen. I won't shop in my own town.
    Idaho today has the highest percentage rise in cases in the nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless
    i turned and sitting at a table in the common area of the store was the owner, doing the books, no mask; i shook my head and left without buying anything

i wanted to say something to the owner who i have known since i was a kid, but what good would it have done
    I completely understand your reaction and [lack of] response. Being confrontational in such a situation strikes me as being counterproductive. The best thing is simply to do as you did... leave and resolve to only patronize businesses that make an honest attempt to request responsible behavior by their customers.
    "We have come to live in a society based on insults, on lies and on things that just aren't true. It creates an environment where deranged people feel empowered." -- Colin Powell, 10/30/18

Lack of action is what got us here. People, you, need to speak out. I'm tired of the "everyone is entitled to their own opinion" bullsh17.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

Do your thing. If you are uncomfortable with people not wearing a mask, don't stay there. We do not want anybody here getting sick, but unfortunately sometimes Darwin needs to sort them out for himself
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    Lack of action is what got us here. People, you, need to speak out. I'm tired of the "everyone is entitled to their own opinion" bullsh17.
    Do you honestly think the customers would have paid the slightest attention to a request to wear a mask? I certainly don't.

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    All talking to them does is reinforce they are right.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    All talking to them does is reinforce they are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike V. View Post
    Do you honestly think the customers would have paid the slightest attention to a request to wear a mask? I certainly don't.
    Then we're fu34ed.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

It is a lost cause... for now.

But I'd have planted a hint for the future.

I'd have suggested quietly to the owner, on my way out, that by failing to set an example... he might just be setting himself up for a decimated customer-base, and maybe a personal hospital stay/death. And that, until this thing was cleared up, you'd be patronizing other joints. In a friendly, concerned, fashion. And - Whatever You Do - send McMike to wait in the truck first <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

It's much the same as Paul describes in my part of Texas. A neighbor lady told me this week, "My lord is my protection against the virus."

we have oregon state troopers in a coffee shop denying the governor's authority to require that they wear masks. one trooper on camera telling governor kate brown to "go **** herself".

Meanwhile... in a neighboring state... the self-selection continues...

This Deep Red State Admits: We’re in Deep COVID Trouble

“Additional orders are useless if people will not follow what we have in place now,” Gov. Tate Reeves told reporters during a press briefing Wednesday.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/deep-r...-covid-trouble
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Will Rogers said:

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    If Will Rogers lived to day, he might add, "Those who listen to Donald Trump."

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Longino View Post
    It's much the same as Paul describes in my part of Texas. A neighbor lady told me this week, "My lord is my protection against the virus."
    Well, I suppose the good news in that is that religious nuts may die out.
    Money may not buy happiness, but it can buy a boat that will pull right up next to it!

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    we have oregon state troopers in a coffee shop denying the governor's authority to require that they wear masks. one trooper on camera telling governor kate brown to "go **** herself".
    Boy Howdy. An governor's order to wear masks indoors - 100%. In the case of the staties... I predict quick consequences and penalties. In the case of Paul's joint the consequences will be 'natural consequences'.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

those staties didn't just ignore the governor's mandate. they ignored a request made by the store employee.

defund the police. i'm serious. fire the pile of them. we can do better.

The store where I regularly buy gas, off road diesel, & beer doesn't have a mask in the place - even the 2 folks doing food prep in the deli. I know the owner & told him I was not comfortable with no masks. "Your choice - we're not wearing them" he said. I said "OK" & walked out the door. That was 3 weeks ago - haven't been back.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

There is a reason only Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, and Massachusetts have a handle on this thing. We all have the rate of spread down below 1 person per infected. New Jersey is at .8
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    There is a reason only Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, and Massachusetts have a handle on this thing. We all have the rate of spread down below 1 person per infected. New Jersey is at .8
    A # are close - but you guys are doing well. Seems DC is the lowest.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...e-us-by-state/

The guv is on it. No word yet on the precise fallout for the miscreants --

"It is inexcusable that a few Oregon State Troopers disregarded my face covering requirement yesterday, and ignored a request from a fellow Oregonian to follow the rule. Oregon State Police Superintendent Hampton and I agree that their actions and behaviors were absolutely unacceptable.
    Let me crystal clear: No one is above the law. Superintendent Hampton and I expect the Oregon State Police to lead by example.
    This virus threatens us all, regardless of our job title. Oregonians are wearing face coverings to protect ourselves, our families and our community. If you want your favorite restaurants and shops to stay open, wear a face covering and practice physical distancing to reduce the spread of the disease.
    All of us must take these simple steps to slow the spread of this deadly virus.
    We’re all in this together."
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Many people are going to get sick, many of them will die.

Some people won’t care.

Too bad this virus doesn’t have a sense of justice, or humor.

drove through newberg yesterday on the way to the farm store, spotted a table set up at the city park under a banner "recall kate brown" and a bunch of pasty doughboys and girls lined up to sign the petition. mostly maskless, every one of them respirator candidates, covid or no.

i managed to not throw the wheel over and plow right through em.

so tired of my people.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post

Some people won’t care.

If you could catch it and then not spread it, I would not care if some of these idiots died. You cannot wave a red cape at fate and not expect it to try to gore you.

I am normally a very empathetic, caring, and optimistic person, but these idiots are draining me with their "rights". Go get sick and die, just stay away from me and everyone else trying so hard not to catch it.

-Dalai Lama

Sounds like we really have two pandemics going on.
    Covid, and stupidity.
    At least there is a potential for a vaccine for Covid.

Speaking of stupidity:

Students in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, who have been diagnosed with COVID-19 have been attending parties in the city and surrounding area as part of a disturbing contest to see who can catch the virus first, a city council member told ABC News on Wednesday.

Tuscaloosa City Councilor Sonya McKinstry said students have been organizing "COVID parties" as a game to intentionally infect each other with the contagion that has killed more than 127,000 people in the United States. She said she recently learned of the behavior and informed the city council of the parties occurring in the city.

She said the organizers of the parties are purposely inviting guests who have COVID-19.

"They put money in a pot and they try to get COVID. Whoever gets COVID first gets the pot. It makes no sense," McKinstry said. "They're intentionally doing it."

Tuscaloosa Fire Chief Randy Smith told the City Council on Tuesday that he has confirmed the students' careless behavior.

In a briefing to the City Council, Smith expressed concern that in recent weeks there have been parties held throughout the city and surrounding Tuscaloosa County, "where students, or kids, would come in with known positive," according to a video recording of the meeting obtained by ABC affiliate station WBMA in Birmingham.

"We thought that was kind of a rumor at first," Smith told the council members. "We did some research. Not only do the doctors' offices confirm it but the state confirmed they also had the same information."

In his presentation, Smith, who wore a face mask, did not say what is being done to curb the behavior or what schools the students were from. Tuscaloosa is the seventh-largest city in Alabama and home to The University of Alabama and several other colleges.

Just hours after Smith's briefing, the City Council unanimously passed an ordinance requiring people to wear face coverings when out in public.

On Wednesday, Holly Whigham, a spokesperson for the fire department, told ABC News, "We are not releasing any statements about what was said last night."

It was unclear if the COVID-positive students infected anyone at the parties they attended.

Richard Rush, a city spokesman, said in a statement to ABC News that the city "is currently working with local agencies and organizations to ensure that we do everything in our power to fight this pandemic."

McKinstry said she fears that some people will attend the parties not knowing their intent and be exposed to infected guests.

"We're trying to break up any parties that we know of," McKinstry told ABC News, adding the infected students are obviously disregarding guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to self-quarantine for two weeks.

"It's nonsense," McKinstry added. "But I think when you're dealing with the mind frame of people who are intentionally doing stuff like that and they're spreading it intentionally, how can you truly fight something that people are constantly trying to promote?"

Arrol Sheehan, spokesperson for the Alabama Department of Public Health, said the state's "Safer at Home Order" explicitly states that people who test positive "shall be quarantined to their place of residence for a period of 14 days."

Sheehan stressed that violation of the heath order is a misdemeanor and fines for each violation can be up to $500.

"Suspected violations of the home quarantine order should be reported to law enforcement and the local health department," she said in a statement to ABC News.

As of Wednesday, Alabama had recorded 38,422 COVID-19 cases, an increase of 10,696 in the last 14 days, according to data provided by the state Department of Public Health. At least 947 people have died in Alabama from the virus.

In Tuscaloosa County, 2,049 people had contracted the contagion and 38 deaths had occurred in the county, according to the Department of Public Health.

Word of the COVID parties came on the same day Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey announced she is extending the "Safer at Home" orders through July 31 because coronavirus infections continue to rise.

Under the extended orders, gyms, entertainment venues, child care facilities and barbershops are required to follow sanitation and social distancing rules. Retail stores are allowed to open with a 50% occupancy rate.

"Personal responsibility means it is everyone's responsibility," Ivy said at a news conference. "If we continue going in the wrong direction, and our hospitals are not able to handle the capacity of patients, then we're going to reserve the right to come back in and reverse course."

Alabama State Health Officer Dr. Scott Harris, who joined Ivy at the news conference, urged people to wear face coverings although they are not required statewide.

"We know face coverings aren't perfect and they don't stop everything," Harris said. "But they do limit transmission."

https://abcnews.go.com/US/alabama-st...ry?id=71552514
    "We have come to live in a society based on insults, on lies and on things that just aren't true. It creates an environment where deranged people feel empowered." -- Colin Powell, 10/30/18

Party like there's no tomorrow....

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    Well, I suppose the good news in that is that religious nuts may die out.
    Erm no. They will probably survive after infecting and killing friends and relatives.
    Last edited by Peerie Maa; 07-03-2020 at 06:58 AM.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Things are mixed here on the Maine coast. A local gas station/convenience store/take out restaurant posted on Facebook that they do not require staff or customers to wear masks. I won't be going there.

I was in Bar Harbor on Wednesday and there was quite a dichotomy. The supermarket requires a mask for entry and has people cleaning continuously. It is almost exclusively frequented by locals. Two blocks away on Maine street (the primary tourist drag), less than half of the people were wearing masks. There were also lots of cars with out of state plates (80% of cars I saw). That was despite the 14 day quarantine required of visitors except those from New Hampshire and Vermont. The governor is leaving enforcement of the quarantine/testing requirement to lodging establishments and restaurants who appear to be happy to ignore it.

Note that as of today the governor lifted the quarantine requirement for people from Connecticut, New York and New Jersey.

I predict a significant outbreak here on Mount Desert Island/Acadia National Park in the near future.

Most cops are far right extremists. With recent events that should be pretty obvious,
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Most cops are far right extremists. With recent events that should be pretty obvious,
    All the town cops in my town wear masks - as has every VT state trooper I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post

Some people won’t care.

I wonder whether the Texas governor's abrupt about face will prompt others. Even McConnell is now in favour of masks.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    I wonder whether the Texas governor's abrupt about face will prompt others. Even McConnell is now in favour of masks.
    I seriously doubt it. I think most Trumpkins know he’s just saying it because he has to in an election year. He doesn’t really mean it, and they know it.

Donnie Jr. just posted this.

CD792593-A706-455A-B1CC-09705EFAE0D2.jpg