Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think it will make a difference when the USA hits 100,000 deaths?

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Default Do you think it will make a difference when the USA hits 100,000 deaths?

I apologise in advance if people find that insulting or crass, I don't mean to be either.

I note we humans seem to register round numbers, and i'm wondering if the numbers so far have been too abstract for some people to fully digest.
    But 100,000 should register the scale of the catastrophe....... surely?
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Default Re: Do you think it will make a difference when the USA hits 100,000 deaths?

May be, or may be the number is too big to comprehend.
    It is a matter of scale, 10 feet is easy to visualise. A mile is harder, a hundred miles is more than some people can grock.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Default Re: Do you think it will make a difference when the USA hits 100,000 deaths?

Look over there- a really big democrat squirrel! JayInOz

Each one means a lot to the families and individuals involved.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

I was talking with my immediate supervisor today, he was furloughed with the rest of us, his wife is a nurse. Having asthma, she worked till they were past the peak and then quit. It's a good thing because almost all of her fellow nurses have come down with CV19 now. It would have been a death sentence for her. This is all the way at the southern tip of NJ in a little rinky dink hospital, imagine what the people on the frontlines in NYC were and are going through. How many of their own are they going to lose?
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

No 100,000 won’t make a difference. Not having a job and being able to pay for overhead will. Check back in a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Z View Post
    I lost all respect for the Director in charge of the department I'm working in. Last week, in a Zoom meeting he said the Covid death numbers are bogus because, in his words - "say a guy died from a heart attack, and they find he tests positive. They count that as a Covid death, though clearly he just died of a heart attack".
    This company is a division of a large medical supply corporation that has been treating the pandemic quite seriously since February.
    Tell the ignorant fool that no one dies from covid. They all die from complication, such as heart attacks, brought on by covid.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

From what?

Note about that chart: those are yearly figures. The 100,000 will have taken about 10 weeks..
    The Algorithm Is Watching

Obesity will likely do in more Americans this year than Covid-19.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Note about that chart: those are yearly figures. The 100,000 will have taken about 10 weeks..
    Excellent point. I was surprised about the medical errors though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    Yes, obesity is a big problem in this country. Your Glorious Leader is obese and his health is in danger. Plus, if he gets Covid19, his chances of survival go way down because of it. Perhaps you should give him a call.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

100,000 is incomprehensible, as is a population of 300,000,000. When publishing figures for deaths in different parts of Stockholm, the city choose to present the figures as deaths per 10,000 people. That number of people is more relevant for that purpose and also easier to comprehend.
    /Erik

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

The one thing about you being obese is; it doesn't kill your neighbour. (Unless you fall on them i suppose...).
    Latest figure is there's about 1.1million Americans walking round with a transmissible deadly disease - and a whole lot of people who don't seem to have absorbed this.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

It won't make any difference. My neighbors just down the street rented a giant inflatable water slide and had a big party this weekend with a yard full of cars. No masks or distancing at all.

I don't think anything will happen until the second wave hits. If it comes in early fall, as expected, then maybe it will have an effect on the election. Trump has said he won't close society. He's not been held accountable so far. I don't see anything happening for a few months at least. We will hit 100,000 long before that.

you being obese doesn't kill your neighbor
    But that's quite the point. Though not contagious, obesity us statistically more likely to kill you or your neighbor than Covid 19 is (assuming the weight problem).

But it doesn't seem to make a difference to anyone.

100,000 what?

Nice day for a game of golf.

We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

. . . . .
    Obtuse, either deliberately to try to come up with a (crap) argument, or . . .

Dolt 45 and Elvis developed obesity out of their own life choices.
    If someone is infected and dies because they have a selfish moron for a relative who contracted the virus from some selfish moron on the beach or in the mall it is not their life choice, just as being killed by some driver jumping a red light or driving under the influence is not by their choice.
    That is an important difference.

Stalin interrupted him to say: “If only one man dies of hunger, that is a tragedy. If millions die, that’s only statistics.”
    ​"Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect." Irrfan Khan. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Obtuse, either deliberately to try to come up with a (crap) argument, or . . .

Dolt 45 and Elvis developed obesity out of their own life choices.
    If someone is infected and dies because they have a selfish moron for a relative who contracted the virus from some selfish moron on the beach or in the mall it is not their life choice, just as being killed by some driver jumping a red light or driving under the influence is not by their choice.
    That is an important difference.
    SB enjoys his performance. A form of whataboutism to deflect, dance and prance rhetorically. If the pandemic hadn’t occurred he’d play the same game with a different topic.

100,000 dead is history. 100,000 dead so far is a crisis.

The final tally will probably top heart disease and cancer, and leave obesity far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    SB enjoys his performance. A form of whataboutism to deflect, dance and prance rhetorically. If the pandemic hadn’t occurred he’d play the same game with a different topic.
    Yep.
    Trolls gotta troll.

While I agree obesity is a real problem that should be responded to in a way that reflects it's cost to our country, not just individuals, the impact of Covid19 was avoidable by instituting and following very intentional measures that were already in place, but that the Trump administration refused to take. The picture is clear that Trump sought to avoid the economic fallout of what he saw as a "maybe" when by any measure, it was going to profoundly effect us. See, the reason Sky and Trump are fighting so hard to change public perception is that the magnitude of this was entirely avoidable, the economic cost and the cost of human lives.

Obesity should be considered a crime. it costs me, through my insurance, hundreds, if not thousands a year, simply because many cant control what they eat. See, it should be considered a crime that the food industry has intentionally engineered foods that create disease to to sell. If the food companies were regulated toward health and not profit, the obesity epidemic would be cured within 5 years. Same with alcohol, another sap sucker of a product that I end up paying for because of it's addictive qualities. People can't be expected to self regulate, and thats fine by me, until I have to pay for people being fat-a55es or not wearing an effing mask.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

I think there are only 2 ways that COVID would begin to matter to Trump. First, if one of his children died; one of the boys, Jared or Ivanka. And second, if (or rather, when) the epidemic so affects his base that enough of them die or get very sick that the spell breaks.

Looking at the footage you'll also have seen of really busy street scenes and crowded pools etc from this past weekend, that could happen within a month. There is going to be one helluva spike among the Trumpist Faithful from all this belligerent "liberty." Tragic, but pretty inevitable.

But passing 100k? The overall number is irrelevant to him, and can be sloughed off by those who want to. Peopledidn't die from AIDS either, but pneumonia and various obscure infections.
    Last edited by TomF; 05-26-2020 at 06:43 AM.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

I thinking lumping how all will see it is a mistake.

There are those among us who are truly bothered by the climbing death total. There are some who won't be bothered until/unless it is someone in their family or one of their friends.

Many among us have no empathy. Many do. We've been rapidly approaching 100,000 and it hasn't changed anything, so I doubt reaching that total will.

Assuming all this opening brings a second wave, I doubt some will care, again, until it hits them personally.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    Obesity should be considered a crime.
    That's a bit like saying "Being shot should be considered a crime."

But you're correct here:

See, it should be considered a crime that the food industry has intentionally engineered foods that create disease to to sell. If the food companies were regulated toward health and not profit, the obesity epidemic would be cured within 5 years.
    Now add in the fact that the government itself, with its "food groups" and "food pyramid" guidelines pushing excessive carbohydrate consumption, and villifying fats in the face of all evidence to the contrary, and you can begin to see how if obesity is a crime, those who are obese are not the perpetrators.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    I thinking lumping how all will see it is a mistake.

There are those among us who are truly bothered by the climbing death total. There are some who won't be bothered until/unless it is someone in their family or one of their friends.

Many among us have no empathy. Many do. We've been rapidly approaching 100,000 and it hasn't changed anything, so I doubt reaching that total will.

Assuming all this opening brings a second wave, I doubt some will care, again, until it hits them personally.
    Thoughts and Prayers.

It is too early to discuss it.

It seems to be a USA mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    That's a bit like saying "Being shot should be considered a crime."

But you're correct here:

Now add in the fact that the government itself, with its "food groups" and "food pyramid" guidelines pushing excessive carbohydrate consumption, and villifying fats in the face of all evidence to the contrary, and you can begin to see how if obesity is a crime, those who are obese are not the perpetrators.

Tom
    Yes, that's what I was getting at. But what happens to the lazy bastard who has no more excuses and costs us far more than he should?
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

But what happens to the lazy bastard who has no more excuses and costs us far more than he should?
    Exactly the same thing as the smoker or the alcoholic.

I don't know yet how they re-write this history, but I expect they will.

The nation seems to have forgotten that G.W. was warned of an attack and ignored that warning. How many among us remember Gitmo, or that we are still holding people there without charge or any kind of trial, and we're approaching the 19th anniversary of that attack?

We've forgotten, or didn't care, that we legalized torture.

I've posted the quote from Hillary's floor speech on the Iraq resolution. Her 1st reason for voting for that resolution (as it was for some others) was the hope it would force Saddam to comply with inspectors (He had been denying them access). Her second reason was that if Saddam continued to deny access to the inspectors, Bush would have a stronger hand to put together a broader coalition to enter Iraq.

I've also posted that Hans Blix stated his weapons inspectors had total unfettered access as of Nov. 27, 2002, and all that was needed to insure Saddam had no WMD's was to allow the UN weapons inspectors more TIME.

Our president, not Saddam, denied them that time and invaded. Because he had denied the inspectors more time, Bush was in a poor position to put together a strong coalition of countries.

We all know how that worked out.

We also know that, following the 9/11 attack, all aircraft were grounded, except one that flew a bunch of Saudis to safety.

We lived through all this, and we've allowed it to be re-written before our eyes.

Now we're living through Covid-19, or maybe dying through Covid-19, and many don't/won't believe the numbers. Many of us have seen reports that some states are no longer reporting deaths in nursing homes, have stopped testing in prisons, etc. because less testing means lower numbers.

There's no sign any of this has peeled away much of Trump's base.

I'm not at all sure what it will take to make those who feel wearing a mask infringes on their rights to change their minds.

100,000 won't matter at all to the average trumpista since it obviously wasn't them. Besides to those idiots their god is protecting them.

A more interesting question, IMO, is if the virus spreads widely for a second wave, and the death numbers rise steeply, is there a point where it will change minds?

CNN
    ...But in 18 states -- including Georgia, Arkansas, California and Alabama -- the number of new cases is rising. That didn't appear to be a concern for some of the thousands of beachgoers who spent the weekend in Gulf Shores, Alabama.

"My family has the same mindset as me and we kind of just agreed that if we get it, we get it. We're going to handle it as a family and get over it," one beachgoer told CNN's Gary Tuchman.
    The attitude brought me back to a story my neighbour Tristan told me from the half dozen years his firm had contracts in the Horn of Africa. He remarked on the fatalism promoted by the particular brand of Islam. leading folks to very different approaches to risk-taking and death. It was all Allah's will, so whatever.

Tristan mentioned a beach one place where his team worked which always had a pickup soccer game happening, and where large sharks cruised just off shore. Twice in Tristan's few years there a ball went into the water and the person who went to retrieve it didn't come out. Allah's will. The soccer games didn't find a different venue.

The interview footage with people enjoying beaches, parks and restaurants last weekend sounded eerily similar. "It's in God's hands - and if I go, I go. Or even the folks I might infect. We all die from something."
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

We are currently at 99,846 deaths according to https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/. We should hit 100k today.