Thread: Ted Hoppe...

Default Ted Hoppe...

Did you say you worked on a ferry service down there? I hope so, otherwise this post is silly.

A local boat builder, Allen Marine, has a couple San Francisco Ferries in their boat yard. I was wondering if you knew anything about them.?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

Default Re: Ted Hoppe...

Hey Brian! Good catch! Those are from the old Vallejo ferries runs! They were around for a really long time. The gangways reflect the docks at Mares Island. They were the first ones I ever drove other than the Red & White. When WETA (Water Emergency Transportation Agency) was formed in 2012 and took over the oversight of the ferry system - they made it a point to get rid of those ferries with higher speed ones. I actually think those ferries are better than the new ones as they were built to last and handle the large flosam in the water. The new ones are designed by committee and although they look sexy, hold over 400 passangers and can make the 50 mile run in 1 hour. The trade off is they are quite fragile. The old ones were like lore - gets everyone home safely even in the worst weather of days.

In the 1989 earthquake - those ferries operated 24 hours a day 7 days a week for nearly a year because the bridges were out and the BART Tube was unsafe. The Oakland bridge was replaced for 21 billion dollars. The Bart tube now has huge pumps sucking out seawater from the earthquake damage (still not fixed) nearly 31 years ago. Frankly - those ferries are still the safest and fast way to get around the bay when everything is "normal". There are two left - my favorite - the Peralta, an old stinkport with a broken head. Still a dream to park in high 35 kts winds compared to the new ones. Peralta is suppose to mothballed soon.

The Ferry system is basically shut down to a few weekday run now. It has been over 4 months since I have work on one. The state has suggested another 6 weeks ormay next year. WETA, Golden Gate Ferry and Red & White are at a loss at how to make safe social distance runs. WETA's Blue and Gold's ferries just got permission to buy new electric ferries but now they have no riders and no revenue. Devistating to the system now mothballed for the months or maybe years to come.
    Play the opening like a book, the middle game like a magician, and the endgame like a machine. – Rudolph Spielmann

Whew! Glad I remembered correctly. I'm no Paul Pless, the guy who remembers everything.

Alaska's Marine Highway system experimented with high speed ferries for 14 years. Great and powerful machines for sure. They cut the normal displacement hull time between Sitka and Juneau from 12hrs to 6hrs. They didn't worry (much) about the one straight along the route that could hit 6-7 knots during tide changes.

screen-capture-1.jpg

But as in your case, they were fragile, broke often, and were expensive to repair.

By far the biggest 'fast' ferry we rode was the one in Hawaii, between Oahu and Maui...

screen-capture-2.jpg

It was a nice way to go inter-island. Of course it was shut down due to environmental reasons.

Guess it's hard to beat slow and steady.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

I have been wanting to take the Hawai’i ferry. When I can see my mom again I think I will.

your post got me to talk KC to do a hike around our island to the new ferry terminal. She never had see it. To see the boats shuttered is a sad reminder of our situation. The Bay Breeze is still there. She has a special place in my life. I have done over 1000 trips on her as a passage and crew.

B75650C6-C0CC-4F09-9DE5-0FC03F883F17.jpg

DB94F2E6-D0B5-48EC-B069-182FCFC0E3C0.jpg

the crew in the information photo above are terrific folks. Although it looks like I may not work too
    much in the future so others who need to work more can... seeing their faces makes me proud being part of ferry service.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 07-11-2020 at 04:47 PM.
    Play the opening like a book, the middle game like a magician, and the endgame like a machine. – Rudolph Spielmann