Page 579 of 646 FirstFirst ... 79479529569578579580589629 ... LastLast
Results 20,231 to 20,265 of 22609

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

Nhttps:/ext time you look at the face on the $2 coin.
    /en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwoya_Tjungurrayi
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Double standards seem to abound amongst our politicians doesn't it? ……….. maybe double-double?
    Now maybe they just reflect the general population standards, if so they are lower than even as the resident cynic thought. But as a professional, as Deputy PM, as Nat leader his hypocrisy is exposed for all to see. I have great sympathy for his wife and family who have been well used as vote bait, little for his new partner. As Grannie said, you make your bed, and then you lie in it.

I await confirmation of similar matters mentioned by our resident rightie re Shorten..
    Last edited by skuthorp; 02-12-2018 at 06:07 AM.

He would say that then wouldn't he ? Barnaby would say the same .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

2012, what was Bill doing then?

"The Australian workplace relations minster agrees with PM Julia Gillard, even when he doesn't know what she has said"

Gillard being OS and he not knowing if, or what she may have said.

LOL.

And post the Child Abuse Enquiry, taxing the churches, meaning that some sections would lose their tax free basis. Inevitably it's the Catholic Church that is the primary target.
    It seems that despite Ruddock's sop to the churches 78% of the population would disagree. The churches may have shot their bolt and the eash up could be interesting. Any more privileges may not get through parliament. Nevertheless Shanes comments do apply.
    http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/rendez...f883eccbe992f8

And then there's 'jobs for embarrassing staffers'. Malcolm didn't know, officially anyhow. But it seems that everyone else did.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 02-12-2018 at 03:15 PM.

Kormann on AM….Shorten, Shorten, Shorten Interviewer several times 'answer the question" He didn't.

Grateful Dead

The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Both worth a read. Com se com sa. But I reckon the view is changing, or just maybe becoming more polarised.

Now I can agree with you on that. Polarisation and politicalisation both.

But denial persists, the "get over it'' brigade continues but they are past their prime, the days of assimilation and "breeding out the colour" are gone.
    Grateful Dead

Try hard ,you'll work it out .
    Grateful Dead

The Nats getting a bit nervous over Barnaby?

Positively terrified I'd say ! Emergency meetings all over the place.
    Grateful Dead

Hmmm. night of the long knives?
    Will Barney be still a rooster in the morning, or just a feather duster.?

I reckon he might survive because they'll be worried he may resign if he looses both leader and deputies position all at once. And what none of the LibNats want is another by-election.

See my #20421.
    Pots and kettles come to mind.

"But mum, he/she did it first" is never a good look.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    What Labor doesn't want is attention on Tony Burke's $44,000 Spanish serenade of his then staffer who he also promoted and, ahem....
    https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...4eb419bd6ea249

What the parties don't want is attention on any mud but this is being run by our free press. If they think there is a story they'll be there, otherwise not.

Even your beloved Oz is in on the story.

Nationals party officials considered the prospect of a New *England by-election campaign without Barnaby Joyce because of rumours about his relationship with Vikki Campion.

Prior to the High Court decision on October 27 finding Mr Joyce had a right to dual citizenship, triggering the New England by-election, concerns were raised at a NSW Nationals executive meeting about whether Mr Joyce was conducting an affair with his staffer and, if he was, whether he should retire if the High Court found against him. “(The discussion) was on whether … there was a relationship and what effect it could have on his candidacy,” a source said.
    The rumour Ms Campion was pregnant was also raised by *party officials with Mr Joyce during the campaign and he is said to have sidestepped the issue.

During the campaign, discussions at the party’s executive level centred around concerns for Mr Joyce’s “mental state”, another source said. “He was extremely *depressed and that needed to be managed,” a source said.

Labor is understood to have carried out focus-group polling on whether to raise the issue of Mr Joyce’s private life and how this would play out in the campaign. The result was an emphatic “no”, with voters rejecting such a move.

As it turned out, accusations against Mr Joyce were aired during the campaign, including on the Independent Australia website, *including the rumour that a staffer of his was pregnant.
    His former opponent for the seat of New England, Tony Windsor, also had weighed in on *Twitter. In November, he tweeted: “More poor judgment from Turnbull, he knows the time bomb Joyce is sitting on ... Turnbull’s *office were informed in 2015. Turnbull went berserk when Joyce told him of citizenship position and personal issues on same day.”

In October, Mr Windsor had tweeted about Mr Joyce’s marriage and also questioned his views on abortion. On October 20, a week before the High Court decision, Sydney’s The Daily Telegraph reported Mr Joyce had “for months struggled with issues that have *affected his marriage of 24 years” and “could leave him vulnerable” in a by-election.
    Despite the rumours, Mr Joyce won the by-election with a swing towards him. Internal polling *before the campaign had him in front of Mr Windsor by 58 per cent to 16 per cent.
    Grateful Dead

I wonder if they'll do a Sinclair on him?
    Grateful Dead

Barnaby Joyce’s National Party reportedly discussing how it can get him to resign

SPECULATION mounts Barnaby Joyce will quit as Deputy PM after reports his party is mulling giving him a “tap on the shoulder”.
    http://www.news.com.au/national/barn...ef9ce0aa3625d0

Pause
    Mute

0:40
    /

1:14

POLITICAL pressure is building to remove Barnaby Joyce as Deputy Prime Minister after reports his own party is discussing how they could get him to formally resign.
    Mr Joyce has been at the centre of scandal for the past week after his affair with former media adviser Vikki Campion and marriage breakdown landed him in the public spotlight.
    National Party MPs are now holding discussions on how to get their leader to resign and plan to “formally tap” him on the shoulder, according to ABC reports.
    Senior Nationals have been approached to form part of a delegation to ask him to step down, the ABC claims.
    Meanwhile, Veterans’ Affairs Minister Michael McCormack has been named as the “overwhelming favourite” to replace Mr Joyce, according to the Herald Sun.
    It’s believed National MPs are calling for an orderly transition to a new leader and sources close to Mr McCormack told the paper that he would only accept the job if Mr Joyce resigned.

This photo, published by the Daily Telegraph, shows Mr Joyce sneaking a peek at then-media adviser Vikki Campion at a farm summit in Sydney in November 2016.Source:Supplied

It comes amid fears Mr Joyce was losing his support base in Queensland over the scandal.
    Former Nationals leader Warren Truss said on Tuesday night Mr Joyce continuing as leader of the Nationals was “a matter for his parliamentary colleagues”.
    While Mr Truss believes Mr Joyce had “enormous capabilities”, he said the situation needed to be resolved “constructively and quickly so that the business of government can proceed”.

The Deputy Prime Minister has not yet been visited by any delegation but a number of government sources are predicting he will have to resign.
    Once admired for his authenticity and credibility, many in the National Party feel that reputation, which earned him so many votes, is now in tatters.
    Nine’s political editor Chris Uhlmann said despite the National Party rarely getting rid of its leaders, he “wouldn’t be surprised if he was gone by the end of the week”.
    “His future is now in the hands of the 21 very nervous National Party members,” the political editor said.
    Grateful Dead

In yesterday's paper

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

Yes, I'll bet he's sorry, Big Time.
    Grateful Dead

..........ignoring the political dimension of this situation for a moment, I have to say I feel sorry for all involved. It's a family tragedy unfolding in the public domain for all to see.
    I also know the political dimension and consequences can not be ignored. Wow, talk about actions having consequences! This is a bomb within the conservative political arena and may be the beginning of the sinking of their political ship for the coming election. It's certainly a major de stabiliser. Efforts to minimize the fallout wont wash with the everyday punter in the street who is their " target market". They will only be more cynical as this will not sit in any way comfortably with their vision of good leadership. How can Barnaby now be acting Prime Minister with any credibility in their eyes?
    When I was a youth worker I was always working at culturally relevant ways of demonstrating to the young people i worked with that their actions and choices had natural and logical consequences that can not be avoided in the long run.
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    ..........ignoring the political dimension of this situation for a moment, I have to say I feel sorry for all involved. It's a family tragedy unfolding in the public domain for all to see.
    I also know the political dimension and consequences can not be ignored. Wow, talk about actions having consequences! This is a bomb within the conservative political arena and may be the beginning of the sinking of their political ship for the coming election. It's certainly a major de stabiliser. Efforts to minimize the fallout wont wash with the everyday punter in the street who is their " target market". They will only be more cynical as this will not sit in any way comfortably with their vision of good leadership. How can Barnaby now be acting Prime Minister with any credibility in their eyes?
    When I was a youth worker I was always working at culturally relevant ways of demonstrating to the young people i worked with that their actions and choices had natural and logical consequences that can not be avoided in the long run.

And this will not either :

High-profile chief executives like Qantas chief Alan Joyce are adamant that investment decisions rest largely on the rate of a country's corporate tax. But it's hard to see how a lower tax rate is an incentive for investment when one in five of our biggest companies haven't paid any corporate tax at all in at least three years.

Tax rates don't matter if you're not paying tax

The overwhelming benefit of higher profits flows to shareholders. A zero corporate tax bill at Qantas has certainly seen one significant wage rise at the company — the chief executive's. The benefit to workers has been less pronounced.

According to the Australian Services Union, representing just under half of all Qantas workers, the average pay rises for staff since the airline has returned to profitability have barely kept pace with inflation.
    Alan Joyce, on the other hand, has seen his total salary close to double from $12.9 million in 2016 to $24.6 million last year thanks to a huge jump in the value of shares provided as part of a bonus scheme.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-1...idence/9443874
    If you are the smartest person in the room, you are in the wrong room.

It was a monumental bit of ill judgement, better that a person with such poor judgement is NOT deputy PM.
    Grateful Dead

I wonder if we'll see a round of 'him too' revelations now as the race to the bottom continues?
    One thing for sure it won't do the reputation of politicians and politics much good.

Greens, Greens, Greens !! So POWERFUL they drive everything in Parliament

Grateful Dead

If we were to demand the sacking of every pollie that bonked someone else help the seats would be empty. I feel sorry for his wife and kids but that is not why I would be happy to see him gone.
    Last edited by WX; 02-14-2018 at 03:49 PM.

It's not the matter of another man dumping his old wife who did the hard yards for the new bimbo that's the problem. Men have done that for decades, Hawke comes to mind. It's the cynical and personally advantagious hypocrisy of the man for political reasons that sticks in the craw.

Nah, they aren't smart enough to drive anything... they just wreck things
    You're the one who said "drive", I was agreeing with you !
    "Only if the destructive mongrel Greens keep driving it."

As for wrecking .....
    Grateful Dead

Haters got to hate Peter, Ian seems somewhat frustrated with our electoral system and it's misuse by political operators, and so am I but for entirely different reasons I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    It's not the matter of another man dumping his old wife who did the hard yards for the new bimbo that's the problem. Men have done that for decades, Hawke comes to mind. It's the cynical and personally advantagious hypocrisy of the man for political reasons that sticks in the craw.

Barnaby Joyce actively campaigned against same sex marriage. I remember it because my partner and I were fighting for the right to marry. During that campaign he held his daughters up as a prop and defended their right to have a “secure relationship with a loving husband”. It turns out while Barnaby was defending the sanctity of marriage he was cheating on his wife with a staffer.

Why does a man like Barnaby get to defend traditional marriage when violating his own marriage? Is it simply that straight, Christian men get to have their cake and smash my wedding cake too?Plenty of journalists were well aware that Joyce was having an affair when he was making those claims – yet declined to report it. So when does public hypocrisy cross the line? And what criteria should the press gallery use to judge when someone’s private life clearly contradicts their political positions?

Journalists have a difficult conflict of interest. They rely upon politicians for stories and often have close relationships with them. They can be blinded by professional need.

That’s not to say that they aren’t moral people, or that there aren’t good reasons for avoiding reporting on prurient detail. It’s just the simple truth that Canberra is a small club. Those who rely on politicians for stories are hardly in a position to render an objective judgement.Some press gallery journalists who refused to report on the contradictions in Joyce’s position represent themselves as neutral or as refusing to take a position on people’s private lives. But they are taking a position.

When powerful people impose on the vulnerable, silence is support.

https://newmatilda.com/2018/02/07/ba...blic-scrutiny/

A week ago Newspoll had journalists standing on their heads blowing their collective socks off with a poll that had the Coalition within 4 points of catching up with Labor. Why, everyone was asking.

And why am I writing about Barnaby Joyce yet again? Well, the answer is simple. I want to see if our library of pictures of him run out. No, the truth is that his hypocrisy now matches that of Turnbull’s.

https://theaimn.com/day-day-politics-back-polls-else/

Yep, it's common but when the dumper just ran on ''family values' 'it needs calling out .
    Grateful Dead

Sibley's still not coming back to the issue. Gee, how unusual?
    What are you blithering about ?
    Grateful Dead

Hang on, isn't that exactly what Hawke did?
    It's not that he bonked the staffer, it's how he went about it and his hypocrisy.
    https://www.theguardian.com/australi...te-on-qa-video