Page 540 of 540 FirstFirst ... 40440490530539540
Results 18,866 to 18,898 of 18898

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

That's for sure ! As we said earlier, I wonder how many ineligible candidates have seen out their terms in office ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

There may be some particular agitation but I think unscrambling the legislative egg is not going to be on the programme.

The Greens want the HC to rule re lecturers at Universities being candidates, in this case the ANU. I wonder if a person on a commonwealth pension would be inelligible? For that matter a person already in the Commonwealth employ as………… an MP?
    Seems that the political gene pool is getting rather small.

I can see some very tongue-in-cheek comedy sketches that are not really funny coming out of this farce.

Remember the discussion about testing welfare recipients for drugs a while back?
    Well, there is proof it doesn’t work.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/factcheck...pients/8948840
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

The constitution took effect in 1901 - after being passed into law by the British Parliament.
    That british subjects are actually foreign nationals is a very recent thing in Australia. The people who voted for the constitution to pass into law would not have meant for British nationals to be excluded - Australian until very recently would have considered themselves British to the core. The whole Queen as head of state thing under-girds that idea. (Is the Queen eligible to be head of state?)

Assertion;
    Most parliamentarians, in the last 116 years, would have been ineligible to serve. Virtually every parliamentarian before 1960 was ineligible by todays interpretation of that section.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge” - Charles Darwin (1809–1882)

Nutshell Pram Build pictures ; https://photos.app.goo.gl/1GdBcckcgBAWsbVg1

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    That's for sure ! As we said earlier, I wonder how many ineligible candidates have seen out their terms in office ?
    Tony Abbott - almost.....
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge” - Charles Darwin (1809–1882)

Nutshell Pram Build pictures ; https://photos.app.goo.gl/1GdBcckcgBAWsbVg1

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Tony Abbott - almost.....
    I'd say he's overstayed his term in office?
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

Meanwhile down in Vic. the Assisted dying legislation is being debated, overnight. A 24 hour sitting only stopped after a member reported being unwell and requiring an ambulance. But given the (labour) members stance and his amazing recovery I am suspicious. The 'debate' was notable for the amount of interference and filibuster being run by the no's, when every clause passed so far has won easily.
    http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/pa...16-gzn662.html

I note a similar bill in NSW lost by one vote. One.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 11-17-2017 at 02:36 AM.

The strange thing is the doctors practice euthanasia anyway, but quietly with a quiet question to those involved .
    Grateful Dead

You'ake a miraculous recovery, too, if someone suggested you might become a demonstration case-in-point for the debate.

Sent from my super secure secret squirrel device
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

Some stats here for NSW on Ageing, care, dementia etc.
    For length of stay in Nursing Homes see 65.

https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/co...ry%20facts.pdf

Interesting stuff, the nursing home stay time is reassuring !
    Grateful Dead

Greens win Northcote after nearly 100 years of Labour.
    http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/godforbid/

Go Greens !
    Grateful Dead

The Victorian election campaign hots up.
    I see your Skyrail and raise you 55 trafic light underpasses.
    (Which will be mostly unused for perceived safety reasons after dark and become graffiti sites).

but great for taking the top off pantechs .
    Grateful Dead

Its the pedestrians that will be underground I think.

BTW, re the citizenship furore,
    "The discovery of the creature, named Graecopithecus frey(den)bergi, and nicknameded ‘El Graeco' by scientists, proves our ancestors were already starting to evolve in Europe 200,000 years before the earliest African hominid."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2...ientists-find/

and it appears the Nats... or at least some (enough) are willing to support a royal commission into the banks. A wobbly coalition right now.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    The constitution took effect in 1901 - after being passed into law by the British Parliament.
    That british subjects are actually foreign nationals is a very recent thing in Australia. The people who voted for the constitution to pass into law would not have meant for British nationals to be excluded - Australian until very recently would have considered themselves British to the core. The whole Queen as head of state thing under-girds that idea. (Is the Queen eligible to be head of state?)

Assertion;
    Most parliamentarians, in the last 116 years, would have been ineligible to serve. Virtually every parliamentarian before 1960 was ineligible by todays interpretation of that section.
    We didn’t adopt our present flag officially until 1952.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Well well, Malcolm has taken the parliamentary bat and gone home. Cancelled the lower house sitting next week.
    Dodging a banking commission enquiry? Dodging a difficult time in the house? Dodging another news poll? Sneaky stuff that Julia never resorted to?
    Seems like government has taken early christmas hols. seeing that they are paralysed policy and work wise.
    So, should they have their pay docked?

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Well well, Malcolm has taken the parliamentary bat and gone home. Cancelled the lower house sitting next week.
    Dodging a banking commission enquiry? Dodging a difficult time in the house? Dodging another news poll? Sneaky stuff that Julia never resorted to?
    Seems like government has taken early christmas hols. seeing that they are paralysed policy and work wise.
    So, should they have their pay docked?
    It sounds like they have gone on an illegal stop-work and should be referred to that organisation that holds unionised workers to account.
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

The other MP's intend to turn up for work, but there will be a lock out………..

Meanwhile Murphy on 4 corners
    I was involved in Labour politics at the time through the YLA and branch work. Met him a couple of times with Frank Crean, who said there was more to come out, and some that would never come out.

Bit of a mix really, some very dodgy 'associates' similar to Obeid. Hah, same old…. But he didn't trust ASIO or Vic Special Branch, with some justification. Political agents.

A good bit of analysis of the housing market.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-2...eosote/9176618
    Grateful Dead

Hmm, so maybe he'll cancel the next week as well? Possible labour ineligibility being the hook………
    Bishop dissembling and distracting on AM this morning.

The banks must really have their hooks into them.

Looks like the Chinese may back Adani which will mean even less benefit to Australia.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-2...rs-say/9177470

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Looks like the Chinese may back Adani which will mean even less benefit to Australia.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-2...rs-say/9177470
    Well, that's the path the Greens set us upon. The Red Greens will be delighted.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Well, that's the path the Greens set us upon. The Red Greens will be delighted.
    Rubbish. The Liberals and Labor are sufficiently stupid enough without any help from the Greens.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Rubbish. The Liberals and Labor are sufficiently stupid enough without any help from the Greens.
    But you just pointed out that the financing of the project by the Chinese will mean less benefits for Australia.

Who caused that?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Next. Skye Kakoschke-Moore to resign from Senate, dual citizenship through mother.

Sent from my super secure secret squirrel device
    Paperback E-book

Dominoes anyone?

Now I find myself eating my words, with a side serving of humble pie, and recalibrating my stance on the dual citizenship issue. It appears that the trap that Senator Kakoschke-Moore finds herself in is akin to being found to be ineligible to continue to participate in something due to alcoholism, as a result of a gift of plonk from mother's friend, regardless of any (lack of) intention to consume the plonk.

I can't see a sensible way to manage the situation now. A referendum to change the Constitution would be an expensive, divisive, drawn-out barrel of toads. It always is, and opportunists will always make it so.

If there was a way to empower the High Court to rule to accept that a blanket statement of unilateral loyalty to Aus was somehow 'taking sufficient measures' then that could be put into the nomination process. But legally? With the precedents in place it seems hardly likely.
    Paperback E-book

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Now I find myself eating my words, with a side serving of humble pie, and recalibrating my stance on the dual citizenship issue. It appears that the trap that Senator Kakoschke-Moore finds herself in is akin to being found to be ineligible to continue to participate in something due to alcoholism, as a result of a gift of plonk from mother's friend, regardless of any (lack of) intention to consume the plonk.

I can't see a sensible way to manage the situation now. A referendum to change the Constitution would be an expensive, divisive, drawn-out barrel of toads. It always is, and opportunists will always make it so.

If there was a way to empower the High Court to rule to accept that a blanket statement of unilateral loyalty to Aus was somehow 'taking sufficient measures' then that could be put into the nomination process. But legally? With the precedents in place it seems hardly likely.
    Indeed. I mentioned before the Joyce et al rulings that I'd been given a number for those likely affected by the nuclear option and that it was significant.

The Decline of Empire wasn't really anticipated by the authors of the Constitution. They were interesting times too... we almost had NZ as a state... and almost didn't have WA as one, IIRC.

I don't see a need for a referendum. Stick by the deal... renounce other allegiances before nominating.

I think that is the only way Ian, I doubt a referendum on the subject would get up given the standing of politicians and politics in general at present. And anyway, it's a can of worms. There'll be calls for a whole list of questions, including some effecting pollies in a manner they might not like!

I note Barney, being a farmer, knew pork when he saw it.

No doubt Gina will find another way.

BTW, Victorian Assisted Dying legislation through, 22-18.
    http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/hi...21-gzqc8n.html
    Last edited by skuthorp; 11-22-2017 at 03:12 AM.