Page 623 of 661 FirstFirst ... 123523573613622623624633 ... LastLast
Results 21,771 to 21,805 of 23110

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

Didn’t they discover evidence of stilt dwellings at one of dried up lakes out west some time back?
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

^Dunno, I haven't read any stuff from the AAA for a while. However due to "most antique" technologies so far discovered here I don't doubt it. Adaptation under pressure is a wonderful thing.
    Xanthorrea

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Didn’t they discover evidence of stilt dwellings at one of dried up lakes out west some time back?
    I'd love to read about that Gary, any links ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

AAA is in a minor state of turmoil while Thorne et anor fight a rearguard action for the Euro construct of "sociological Darwinism" of their "subjects/objects". Times and processes move on. Read up on the Cuddie Springs and other matters.
    Xanthorrea

Latham and Hanson?

Who'd a thunk it………………….

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Latham and Hanson?

Who'd a thunk it………………….
    How do I was that image out of my head ?
    Grateful Dead

More on the aborigine agriculture video, http://www.news.com.au/technology/en...26ec0c19bb8281
    Grateful Dead

"When this ancient infrastructure was destroyed, Mr Pascoe believes it became convenient for settlers to perpetuate the myth that the nation’s first people were incapable of organising a coherent and sophisticated society. He believes this, in their minds, legitimised their reason for being there.“The country can’t afford to recognise the expertise and economic subtlety of Aboriginal people because it talks about ownership of the land and it undermines the whole eligibility of the people to the land,” he said. “That’s why Australians have avoided it, not out of some vagueness or failure, but just total avoidance.

And the guilt still pervades the old anglo society which is, in my opinion, not as unaware as one might think and the cause of the kneejerk reactions whenever the matter of treaty etc is brought up. It was also the reason that theUluru declaration was rejected out of hand. It didn't fit the historic agenda, and it certainly didn't fit with the Nats, many of whom's supporters are quit aware of their family histories.

There's an economic study out showing that Oz had a sustainable population of 1.5 to 2M plus even in the worst of times. BTW Peter, a distant relation/plant agronomist etc has papers published on how native grasses are more nutritious than introduced species. Was at UNE now I think at UQ
    Xanthorrea

I see there is more Murdoch based bashing of the ABC on the trash tabloid thread.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Latham and Hanson?

Who'd a thunk it………………….
    Well I think they are quite well suited...sort of a version of loony tunes tassy devil and weird alien.

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    There's an economic study out showing that Oz had a sustainable population of 1.5 to 2M plus even in the worst of times. BTW Peter, a distant relation/plant agronomist etc has papers published on how native grasses are more nutritious than introduced species. Was at UNE now I think at UQ
    I'd love to see a list of edible grains of Australia .
    Grateful Dead

"When this ancient infrastructure was destroyed, Mr Pascoe believes it became convenient for settlers to perpetuate the myth that the nation’s first people were incapable of organising a coherent and sophisticated society. He believes this, in their minds, legitimised their reason for being there.“The country can’t afford to recognise the expertise and economic subtlety of Aboriginal people because it talks about ownership of the land and it undermines the whole eligibility of the people to the land,” he said. “That’s why Australians have avoided it, not out of some vagueness or failure, but just total avoidance.

And the guilt still pervades the old anglo society which is, in my opinion, not as unaware as one might think and the cause of the kneejerk reactions whenever the matter of treaty etc is brought up. It was also the reason that theUluru declaration was rejected out of hand. It didn't fit the historic agenda, and it certainly didn't fit with the Nats, many of whom's supporters are quit aware of their family histories.
    The Nats ? "bucket loads of extinction".
    Grateful Dead

Contact AIATSIS. For another source try Frances Shapter at UQ(has an e mail addie). She did the pastures studies.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I'd love to see a list of edible grains of Australia .
    Xanthorrea

Frances Shapter emailed, any relation Purri?
    Grateful Dead

Yes, though we think abt 4 to 5 generations back as I'm 71. One mob in VIC abt 1885, the NSW mob 1836 but the Pate mob who married in are back to 1st born here to 2 convicts in 1795. A Darling ancestor ( Alfred D.) was a Luddite rioter sentenced to death in 1831. ("Convicts of the Eleanor") has quite a bit on the survivors of the trip. Solid Labour Party quals for membership, don't you think? My GGGM was a Darling.
    Last edited by purri; 07-10-2018 at 08:05 PM.
    Xanthorrea

Candidate material for sure !
    Grateful Dead

^ But unlikely to be nominated or seconded as old family Party clans dominate and have done so since the seat (Federal) was first created about 1928. The State seat has been occupied since inception by the same Troglodyte chieftains except for the the last Lib with a 2% margin and no chance of re-election. BTW as for credo in LAB circles I handed over a gig of an Indigenous national training institute to Warren Mundine after I burnt out from 10 years in the gig. He has some tales of internecine Labor party warfare! Hopefully Albo sets things right.

Anyway watch Sherpa Ruit on russkified ABC soon/tonight with the institute's work, I'm off next door to Gabi H's place to catch up with him, Sanduk and Siddarth. Maybe the Eritrean mob will be there.

Meanwhile the Libs have worse issues to deal with.
    Last edited by purri; 07-11-2018 at 12:14 AM.
    Xanthorrea

Grateful Dead

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Big business rolling into politics to the sound of ACDC's Thunderstruck.
    He should get them to regulate guns, after all they know more about them than anyone else.

Just reading Richard Denniss's Quarterly Essay - the effect of neo-liberal language on the liberal party (i paraphrase).
    The likes of Dutton telling everyone that privatisation is necessary because politicians are rubbish at running stuff and can't be trusted - means people think politicians are rubbish and can't be trusted. So they flee to minority parties.

I hadn't realised the extent to which it is ex-Liberal voters who are largely transitioning to no notion, katter, et al.
    Philip K. Dick 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

7.30 are doing a segment on the Timor bugging and the subsequent legal actions.

Someone, likely Downer and the government, has something to hide.

That whole episode stinks to high heaven !!!
    Grateful Dead

An interesting read on a rising Indonesia. https://www.australianforeignaffairs...inue%20reading
    Grateful Dead

^ I said much the same in the late 60s and was howled down for it.
    Xanthorrea

I think they thought the US would turn up if things got unpleasant…………………. I sometimes think of Dr. Mahatia's comment about the 'white trash of Asia'.

And as an aside, underpayment. It seems the round 50% of food service outlets are underpaying their staff and may not actually be viable.
    I've been saying that for years. Half the small businesses that were 'outcompeted' in the suburbs may have been 'outcompeted' on a less than legal basis.

I think that was Lee Kwan Yu
    I think they thought the US would turn up if things got unpleasant…………………. I sometimes think of Dr. Mahatia's comment about the 'white trash of Asia'.
    Xanthorrea

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    An interesting read on a rising Indonesia. https://www.australianforeignaffairs...inue%20reading
    Put beside the treatment of East Timor it smacks of arrogance. Is it beneath Australia to work closely with Asians? Must they always be the enemy or someone from whom an advantage can be wrought?
    There are consequences for always being disrespectful.

The Abbott on Islam during his Priministership;
    "Cultures are not all equal. We should be ready to proclaim the clear superiority of our culture to one that justifies killing people in the name of God," Mr Abbott wrote.
    There you go, a billion(?) people reduced to murders.

What was the excuse for screwing the Timorese? Australian National Interest! What BS - Downer and co got cushy jobs, others were promoted into obscurity.
    Timor (and the whole region) saw duplicity laid bare and China is investing in schools, hospitals and roads in countries right inside our area of military influence. Its hard to intimidate an enemy destroyer with sinking when it's called 'The Solomon Islands'.
    Australian National Interest confused with corporate greed.
    Philip K. Dick 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

Interesting analysis of the Jobs figures from the Bureau of Statistics;
    https://www.theguardian.com/business...n-get-it-twice

The unemployment rate in April was 4.1%
    Reflecting on that this morning, and the never ending mantra from wingnuts that "there's plenty of work, they're just lazy!", I asked "who is that 4%?"
    some of it, a small portion, will be people between jobs.

The rest must be the least employable people in the country, no?
    Chronically ill, very low IQ, mentally ill, people with extremely low education, people who self esteem has been destroyed by abuse and so on.
    Victims of ageism and sexism - employers famously don't think older people are any value.
    Is it reasonable to expect the rate to be lower than this to the point where punishing these people is acceptable?

On a bell curve of employable people, we're talking about an extreme end at the least employable. Don't we just have to accept that? By punishing and humiliating them aren't we just shaming ourselves?

The Libs see themselves as "self made men", that along with their compassion and empathy bypass surgery has them almost blind to anyone not ''succeeding'' in terms they can quantify in dollars.
    Grateful Dead

7.30 are doing a segment on the Timor bugging and the subsequent legal actions.

Someone, likely Downer and the government, has something to hide.
    First Dog on the Moon has taken up the leash....
    bad pun,bad....down boy.....

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...rom-the-inside

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Interesting analysis of the Jobs figures from the Bureau of Statistics;
    https://www.theguardian.com/business...n-get-it-twice

The unemployment rate in April was 4.1%
    Reflecting on that this morning, and the never ending mantra from wingnuts that "there's plenty of work, they're just lazy!", I asked "who is that 4%?"
    some of it, a small portion, will be people between jobs.

The rest must be the least employable people in the country, no?
    Chronically ill, very low IQ, mentally ill, people with extremely low education, people who self esteem has been destroyed by abuse and so on.
    Victims of ageism and sexism - employers famously don't think older people are any value.
    Is it reasonable to expect the rate to be lower than this to the point where punishing these people is acceptable?

On a bell curve of employable people, we're talking about an extreme end at the least employable. Don't we just have to accept that? By punishing and humiliating them aren't we just shaming ourselves?
    See#21796, Legally unviable businesses underpaying their staff. But it counts as a job in the stats, ergo, nothing will be done if it can be got away with.

Hmm, if personal data is compulsorily placed on a data base by a company, and then hacked, compensation can apply if you sue.
    If personal data is compulsorily placed on a data base by a government, and then hacked, should the government be held accountable without recourse to a suit?
    Medical data about everyone is about to be placed on such a database and all sorts of organisations and businesses will have 'official' access. There's nothing surer than that it will be hacked internationally, or even accessed illegally by interested parties like insurance and finance companies. The government being the enforcer of the legislation should be the body held responsible in the first instance, what about the hacking of secondary sources?

Yes it will be hacked but medically, in case of an emergency away from home for instance, it will have huge benefits.

You're unconscious after a car accident in ICU. Are you allergic to the following drugs ?....etc.
    Doctor shopping for Fentanil ?
    Grateful Dead