Page 604 of 607 FirstFirst ... 104504554594603604605 ... LastLast
Results 21,106 to 21,140 of 21230

Thread: Oz Politics.

Default Re: Oz Politics.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    I see NZ is showing us how its done..... again....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...neutral-future
    If only our mob weren't so gutless !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

On insiders this weekend he was asked about the Liddel power station.
    He went over managements heads and threatened directors to keep an unviable power station open.
    He just seems a bit too desperate to use coal.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge” - Charles Darwin (1809–1882)

Nutshell Pram Build pictures ; https://photos.app.goo.gl/1GdBcckcgBAWsbVg1

What do you call the type of government that orders private business to comply with the government's agenda against it's wishes?
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    What do you call the type of government that orders private business to comply with the government's agenda against it's wishes?

Against its wishes, and in its judgement against its business interests. I seem to recall that it's not exactly kosher for a board to deliberately subvert the considered and calculated best interests of the company the board runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I first joined WBF they made me write a book to prove I was a real yachty. I was so gullible.
    Paperback E-book

There is a job with Tony Abbott's name on it - only it's not the one he wants.

An essential element of a Turnbull reset is the release of his “attack dogs” on Shorten, and there is no better person to lead this than the master of the negative, Abbott himself. Give him such a role – have him direct his bile constructively.

As much as Tony Abbott and the others among his small rump of mostly bitter and twisted ex-ministerial malcontents are now keen to wallow in Malcolm Turnbull’s demise after his 30th Newspoll loss, they simply cannot deny the significance of their contribution to that demise.
    They have shown an appalling lack of maturity, treating voters with contempt.

While they attempt to dress up their activities in some cloak of respectability, using policy tags like “conservatism”, or exploiting the standing and credibility of a Monash, it is simply grossly irresponsible disloyalty and disunity, driven by personal, not national, ambition. They should know better. The voters certainly see through it – as self-absorbed point scoring – resulting in poor government, to their detriment.

Turnbull arrived with huge (probably unrealistic) expectations. He promised leadership; substantive, policy-driven government. He was given a great opportunity. He has consistently failed to deliver.

Turnbull’s only hope is to break out of this mire. Voters expect leadership. They expect our politicians to govern in the national, rather than in their personal, or for vested, interests; to take the big decisions they see as essential but feel powerless to make.

In current circumstances, this translates as the government needing to embrace a genuine reform agenda, to provide outcomes that ease the costs of living and are acceptable as responses to the major policy challenges.

An essential element of a Turnbull reset is the release of his “attack dogs” on Shorten, and there is no better person to lead this than the master of the negative, Abbott himself. Give him such a role – have him direct his bile constructively.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fede...11-p4z8yh.html
    If you are the smartest person in the room, you are in the wrong room.

Except that Tony hates Mal more than he hates Bill. I am minded of Victorian Labour in the Bolte years, more concerned with internecine infighting and personal turf than government.

I am always amused when in the 6am current affairs programmes when some LibNat pollie comes on and every 5th word is 'Shorten'.

Actually it's the 60th Newspoll loss for the Libs.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Except that Tony hates Mal more than he hates Bill. I am minded of Victorian Labour in the Bolte years, more concerned with internecine infighting and personal turf than government. I am always amused when in the 6am current affairs programmes when some LibNat pollie comes on and every 5th word is 'Shorten'.

She makes our pollies look like toddlers.

Young. Charismatic. Female. Leaders like Jacinda Ardern don’t come along too often.

"Jacinda is very, very popular – incredibly so – and irritating all the dyed-in-the-wool blue people," says one political commentator.

Along with negotiating skill, Ardern had charisma on her side: she's one of those intensely likeable people that almost everybody, well, likes. As David Farrar, a right-wing pollster, blogger and ex-National Party staffer (so theoretically not a Jacinda fan) puts it: "Jacinda herself is very warm, very genuine, very comfortable in her own skin."Charisma matters everywhere, of course. But perhaps it matters more in a place such as NZ, where the population is only 4.7 million, roughly equivalent to that of Sydney, and where the GDP is significantly less than that of Melbourne (approximately $240 billion to Melbourne's $300 billion in 2016). Perhaps because of its size, it's a place whose leaders have a history of being approachable figures.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/oceania...27-p4z6ft.html

So here`s a question for you .....when did Australia last have a charismatic , genuine prime minister ?

She'd never get to first base here………… Unless some male party leader had stuffed things up so badly they appointed her as the 'fall woman' to take the blame.
    I am always somewhat amused and disgusted when a commercial organisation has been caught out and they appoint a woman as spokesperson on the assumption that an interviewer will be more polite than to a man.

She'd never get to first base here………… Unless some male party leader had stuffed things up so badly they appointed her as the 'fall woman' to take the blame.
    I am always somewhat amused and disgusted when a commercial organisation has been caught out and they appoint a woman as spokesperson on the assumption that an interviewer will be more polite than to a man.
    It pains me to admit that I would have to agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wet Feet View Post
    So here`s a question for you .....when did Australia last have a charismatic , genuine prime minister ?
    Genuine is the problem. Malcolm is certainly prime ministerial, he fills a suit well and probably knows which fork to use. His only lack is a backbone.

I'll give my vote to Julia Gillard.
    Grateful Dead

Me too, and before that Keating, Bob did OK but was always a show pony. I happen to think Hayden would have been better.
    There have been a few gooduns on both sides that have lost to a second rater.

Going to lose a federal lower house seat in Sth Australia today when the redistribution is announced. Lib and Lab can't agree, but fortunately it's the Commissions call.

Genuine is the problem. Malcolm is certainly prime ministerial, he fills a suit well and probably knows which fork to use. His only lack is a backbone.

Her mysoginist speech was pure gold.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Her mysoginist speech was pure gold.
    One of the finer parliamentary moments. Ever.

Keating did have that , backbone......and good suits they were too , as far as that goes.

Yes, me too.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge” - Charles Darwin (1809–1882)

Actually it's the 60th Newspoll loss for the Libs.
    There was one shortly after Malcolm took over. A brief lift for the new PM. So it wasn't 60 straight.

That's encouraging for them!
    Grateful Dead

60/61 = 1% success rate.
    The one percenters

Should Australia be concerned about a rumoured Chinese military expansion in the Pacific? Or is it yet another distraction from the Government’s domestic problems? Political editor Dr Martin Hirst investigates.

ON MONDAY this week. the Fairfax papers and websites ran an “exclusive” story with the alarming headline 'China eyes Vanuatu military base in plan with global ramifications' — but is the story accurate? The lead par was an insistent and alarming allegation that China was planning a naval base in Vanuatu,

.. that could see the rising superpower sail warships on Australia’s doorstep.'
    However, in typical fashion – that we’ve come to expect from mainstream journalists covering the "security” round – the next two pars walked back the suggestion and sourced it to “senior security officials” in Canberra. In other words, the reporter, David Wroe, had been given a “drop” a background briefing by an Australian spook, because the Government wanted to float the idea and get a reaction.

'While no formal proposals have been put to Vanuatu's government, senior security officials believe Beijing’s plans could culminate in a full military base.'
    The tell that this was a planted story is in the lack of detail and the vague sourcing:

'The prospect of a Chinese military outpost so close to Australia has been discussed at the highest levels in Canberra and Washington.'
    The Vanuatu Government was quick to issue denials and even labelled the Fairfax reports as “fake news”.Vanuatu’s Foreign Minister Ralph Regenvanu said rumours of discussions with China over a military base were false.

However, David Wroe’s story still had the effect desired by the Australian “security officials” who briefed him. Within hours, PM Turnbull was able to front the media to express Australia’s concern at the – still unproven – rumours.

"We would view with great concern the establishment of any foreign military bases in those Pacific Island countries and neighbours of ours,"
    Turnbull bloviated.

This is an interesting position and an even more puzzling definition of “foreign”. The United States operates more than 20 military bases across the Pacific – from Hawaii to Japan and many ports in between – so why isn’t this alarming to our Prime Minister?

More here :

https://independentaustralia.net/politics/politics-display/a-chinese-military-base-in-vanuatu--or-another-fairfax-beat-up,11391

Dr Martin Hirst is a journalist, author and IA’s political editor.Martin’s career in journalism began in 1975.He also taught journalism for over 20 years.Martin is a regular Independent Australia columnist and is also keen to help new writers develop their ideas and their style.Martin Hirst also blogs at Ethical Martini and is active on social media @ethicalmartini.

I wouldn't! Remember the Canberra convention centre "moment" and her response. Just another frightened colonial wadjinn response
    QUOTE=gypsie;5534364]Yes, me too.[/QUOTE]
    Xanthorrea

Democracy Is The Biggest Victim In Turnbull’s War On Charities

By Kyla Tienhaara & Prof John Dryzek on March 15, 2018Australian Politics
    The intent of stalled legislation being pushed by the federal government is clear – to weaken the capacity of charities, particularly environmental groups, to oppose government excesses. Dr Kyla Tienhaara and Professor John Dryzek explain.
    Reasonable people don’t associate charities with espionage and other cloak-and-dagger activities usually reserved for spies and foreign agents.

So why is the Turnbull Government trying to jam through legislation that treats all of these actors alike, in much the same way as many authoritarian countries do?
    Stranger still, why are they doing it while ignoring the more obvious threats to our democracy like well-funded corporate lobbying groups who not only interfere in policy-making, but also brag about forcing the government to bend to their will?

Governments in Australia have been waging a not-so-silent war on the not-for-profit sector, and particularly environmental NGOs, for some time. Tactics have ranged from attacks on the charitable status of groups to efforts to criminalise protest.
    But in recent months, the battle has become more covert and more insidious with the introduction of a suite of foreign interference laws that has the potential to substantially disrupt the ability of NGOs to engage in political advocacy.

Proposed bills currently before Parliament include: changes to the definition of espionage that make it broad enough to capture the normal activities of international NGOs such as Human Rights Watch and Greenpeace; a ban on foreign donations to certain NGOs; and extensive limitations on the administration and use of foreign funding by registered charities.

There is also a new requirement for charities that receive any kind of support or donation from outside Australia to register in a “Foreign Influence Transparency Scheme” (a phrase that would be at home in a dystopian novel like 1984) or face serious criminal penalties.

The purported justification for this suite of bills is the need to curb foreign influence over the political system, particularly in the wake of the Chinese donations scandal that resulted in the resignation of Senator Sam Dastyari. However, numerous legal experts have pointed out that, in their current form, the bills are unlikely to properly address corruption or foreign influence.

https://newmatilda.com/2018/03/15/de...war-charities/
    Grateful Dead

A secretive branch of the Queensland Police has Big Brother's shadow looming over it, writes Chris Nyst.LAST YEAR, I learned something kind of crazy that I never knew before. A gentleman came to my office complaining that five police officers had recently materialised at his front door, without warning or invitation, wanting to conduct a psychiatric assessment on him. It all sounded more than a little bit bizarre to me, but, since the gentleman appeared otherwise quite lucid, I tried to dig a little deeper in the hope of understanding what it may be all about. He didn’t really know. The best he could tell me was the officers concerned were apparently attached to something called the "Fixated Persons Unit".

I kept digging, and eventually discovered that, according to my client, he had recently made a number of official complaints about the behaviour of a certain public servant who he contended had been abusing his powers in the line of duty. It still didn’t seem to make much sense to me until I went looking for the so-called Fixated Persons Unit. I was somewhat surprised to find that, in fact, it’s actually a thing.

I am somewhat surprised the initiative hasn’t been the subject of more strident public scrutiny and debate, particularly given Queensland’s chequered history of past proactive police security operations. The infamous Queensland Police Special Branch was established in the 1940s to monitor German and Japanese subversives during World War II, but 30 years later it was broadly accused of doing the back-door bidding of the Bjelke-Petersen State Government, investigating and harassing political opponents, dissidents and protestors. It was ultimately disbanded in 1989, following the recommendation of the Fitzgerald Inquiry
    into Police Corruption, after it (perhaps tellingly) destroyed all its records rather than allow them to fall into the Inquiry’s hands.

More here :

https://independentaustralia.net/lif...ons-unit,11395

Ex-Origin Energy executive & whistleblower Fiona Wilson was detained by the Queensland Fixated Threat Assessment Centre & injected against her will & without any charges.

Fiona is appealing this & needs a barrister to represent her in court.

Fiona is appealing this and the next hearing is on May 8th in Brisbane. Fiona has found a barrister to represent her in court and we are now seeking funds to pay for that, and the various medical reports in preparation for her appeal.

It is the opinion of an independent Clinical and Consulting Psychologist, and a qualified Counsellor, that Fiona was/is suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) following the ordeal of blowing the whistle on the coal seam gas industry - and is NOT delusional, as the QFTAC have claimed.
    The QFTAC are interpreting very broad definitions in Fiona's case. Fiona was merely trying to contact the relevant Queensland Minister about the evidence that she was exposing. Instead of acting on Fiona's evidence, the Minister referred her to QFTAC.

More here :

https://t.co/JeBfrIj4xx

You had me for a while, having lived in Qld under Joh. A bloody good thing Joh isn't still around or it would be a reality.
    Grateful Dead

You had me for a while, having lived in Qld under Joh. A bloody good thing Joh isn't still around or it would be a reality.

How many official complaints do you have to make about a public official to be considered of interest to QFTAC do you think?
    I think greater scrutiny is required here given QLDs past.

Send this to your parliamentary representative…………...
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ghly-enjoyable

Ah yes, but what use is it? Where's the profit now?

I watched it earlier.
    Grateful Dead

And now for the mortgage crunch. A 100,000 or so interest only loans are about to roll over into capital repayment, a 30% jump. Some think that properties in Sydney and Melbourne are 25% over valued. The financial industry Royal Commission sits again today, but the banks seem to be reducing their loan offers already.

If values start to reduce rapidly the banks will get burned.... in the long run. A lot of chaos along the way.
    Grateful Dead

Of course purri, if you don't need a loan then it does not apply, but their kids and grandkids? And their customers?
    And the economy in general? Half those households defaulting?

Of course purri, if you don't need a loan then it does not apply, but their kids and grandkids? And their customers?
    And the economy in general? Half those households defaulting?
    House of Cards.

As a whole, the Australian economy has grown through a property bubble inflating on top of a mining bubble, built on top of a commodities bubble, driven by a China bubble.

https://medium.com/@matt_11659/matt-...s-6877adb3fb2f

Oh goodie, that sounds reassuring !
    Grateful Dead

My kids love bubbles. They float around magically and then burst - poof completely disappear.
    I remember the disappointment I felt as a kid not being able to grab the bubble, how it would just vanish taking all the excitement with it.

Be great to see house prices come down, but lordy, hopefully not crash. Imagine the economy in the s#it while prices for everything stay as they are.